Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-12-2010   #1
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 5 who could follow the Saints (from Pete Prisco)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...ake-super-jump

Love him or hate him (ok I don't know anyone who loves him) at least we're being talked about.
Old 02-12-2010   #2
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 5 who could follow the Saints (from Pete Prisco)

I think were going to make that Jump!
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #3
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

After watching the playoffs this year I didn't think there was a team that the Texans couldn't, scratch that, shouldn't beat. They have to find a way to avoid the little mistakes that they make during close games. Maybe the 4th Quarter comeback against the Pats will spark that. As Peter King stated during Super Bowl week, people watch us wondering what we will do to implode this week. That has to stop and there is no reason this team can't play in February. I'd love to beat Jerry Jones and the Cowboys in their stadium.
Old 02-12-2010   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...ake-super-jump

Love him or hate him (ok I don't know anyone who loves him) at least we're being talked about.
OK read... not really saying a lot.

What I think is interesting, and think we should probably start discussing, is that we've been in this situation before.

2004, we went 7-9. We thought we were going to be the next big thing, & the media were starting to tag us the same way. Then the bottom fell out.

I'd like to know what it is about this organization now, that will make that less likely to happen again.

My first thought, is that McNair has taken a seat further back in the bus. I think the biggest reason for the 2-14 season, was that David Carr had no accountability. Everyone in that locker room knew what the single biggest thing holding the team back was, & the head coach didn't have the power to do anything about it.

I'll admit there are some similarities with Kubiak. I don't know the rhyme or reason, why he'll start a Wali Lundy week 1, but make a Steve Slaton come in slowly, or an Arian Foster to come in even slower. Personally, I think the more pressure is on, the more conservative he wants to be. I think he needs to get over that.

I think our run game would have been much better, if he moved Caldwell to Center, started Arian Foster earlier, and or given Moats the ball more.

I know he has his reasons for all the moves he made, or didn't make, but I can't understand why he wouldn't put game changers in the game.
Old 02-12-2010   #5
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Prisco definitely suffers from relying too much on the stats in this case. Antonio Smith was worth the contract he signed. He started a little slow, but he was the most effective defensive lineman we had in 2009. He was great against the run and in the second half of the season he was consistently getting pressure on the QB.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #6
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
2004, we went 7-9. We thought we were going to be the next big thing, & the media were starting to tag us the same way. Then the bottom fell out.

I'd like to know what it is about this organization now, that will make that less likely to happen again.
After the 2004 season the Texans took a hatchet to their roster in an effort to get younger, and the old guys they kept just got older.

If anything, this year they will try to add veteran experience instead of cutting the heart out of the defense. It would also be nice if we didn't fire the offensive coordinator at the beginning of the season.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw this article the year before and the year before that. Until it happens, then I'll believe
Old 02-12-2010   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Prisco definitely suffers from relying too much on the stats in this case. Antonio Smith was worth the contract he signed. He started a little slow, but he was the most effective defensive lineman we had in 2009. He was great against the run and in the second half of the season he was consistently getting pressure on the QB.
Agfreed. I was very impressed with what he showed last year. He is very disruptive.
Old 02-12-2010   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I saw this article the year before and the year before that. Until it happens, then I'll believe
Yeah, I'm a little sick of it myself... but it's a long, LONG offseason.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #10
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We are gonna make the Jump and watch the waggon rock
Old 02-12-2010   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263877 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

We all knew before last season started we had the ability, but could we? Well, here we are again before the next season knowing we have the ability, but will we?

Same ole same ole. Wait and see. Still though, I love me some Houston Texans anyway.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
It would also be nice if we didn't fire the offensive coordinator at the beginning of the season.
Accountability... some Texans fans would like to see more of this.
Old 02-12-2010   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
We all knew before last season started we had the ability, but could we? Well, here we are again before the next season knowing we have the ability, but will we?

Same ole same ole. Wait and see. Still though, I love me some Houston Texans anyway.
But, weren't we a little delusional last year... Before we knew what we had in Cushing, G.Quin, and before we acquired Pollard, I thought we were a 10 win team. Of course it was possible to win ten games even without those heavy contributions but everything would've had to fall perfectly. We certainly couldn't afford all the injuries we suffered on offense.

I guess my point is that, from a talent standpoint, we have increased our margin of error. Another good off-season will increase it further. So, the odds are much better for a playoff season, despite what any of us have experienced in the past or any doubts we have about the coaching staff.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #14
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 22660 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

Jump Jump
The Mac Dad will make you Jump Jump
The Daddy Mac will make you Jump Jump

Old 02-12-2010   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14478 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

What scares me is the

jags
titans
colts

can all make the jump has well
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
What scares me is the

jags
titans
colts

can all make the jump has well
That's the thing we all don't take into account. Daniel Jeremiah in Texans Chick's interview said it best, "it's impossible to predict how tough a schedule will be in the NFL."

All teams will be improving or regressing, and you never know which will do what.

But we know the Texans have gotten better, talent wise, year after year, after year.
Old 02-12-2010   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Considering what they've gotten out of the ghosts of free agents past, agreed. We had to pay a little more for hm because we aren't winners yet. I was well pleased with his performance. With Barwin under his wing, they both will make each other better as the seasons go on. Which in turn should make all the front seven much better.

I disagree with his player must step up. They need to at least an upgrade with competition at guard. And everyone should know by now whom I have the man love for. And whom I believe is the perfect fit. Iupati.
Old 02-12-2010   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I disagree with his player must step up. They need to at least an upgrade with competition at guard. And everyone should know by now whom I have the man love for. And whom I believe is the perfect fit. Iupati.
I disagree as well. IMHO, the person that needs to step up is the CB playing opposite Glover Quinn. It's a shame when your 4th round rookie plays better than your Franchised Corner.
Old 02-12-2010   #19
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

TY old man, ty
Old 02-12-2010   #20
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I disagree as well. IMHO, the person that needs to step up is the CB playing opposite Glover Quinn. It's a shame when your 4th round rookie plays better than your Franchised Corner.
By what standard?

Quin played 497 snaps in coverage, and gave up 587 yards, at 11.5 ypr/ 7.5 ypa.
D-Rob played 618 snaps in coverage, and gave up 544 yards, at 10.3 ypr/6.7 ypa.

Both had 0 interceptions.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read