Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-11-2010   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 79824 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Colts welcomed back from Super Bowl by a crowd of 11 fans

Not exactly the reception the Oilers received in 79 and 80 but hey ...

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...RTS03/2090305/
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #2
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110699 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Colts welcomed back from Super Bowl by a crowd of 11 fans

Quote:
-- a Boeing 757 for the official party and an Airbus 330 for the team.
I wonder who gets what after the 2011 strike. Sorry, I read the sentence and had the thought.
Old 02-11-2010   #3
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 25361 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Not exactly the reception the Oilers received in 79 and 80 but hey ...

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...RTS03/2090305/

Somewhat off topic, but I remember when there was a rally planned at City Hall (I think) to show support for the Oilers to stay in Houston. I was in California on business, and it was on the news with video showing only a hand full of people. News reporters are experts in making fans or a team look bad with a smile or a smirk.
StarStruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
Somewhat off topic, but I remember when there was a rally planned at City Hall (I think) to show support for the Oilers to stay in Houston. I was in California on business, and it was on the news with video showing only a hand full of people. News reporters are experts in making fans or a team look bad with a smile or a smirk.
NOBODY knew about that little rally until after it happened.

Adams had already made his decision to move the team by that point. I hate this is always brought up about Oilers fans, who put over 50,000 booties in the seats for three games during their lame duck season.

Looking at what Tom Benson did with the Saints after Katrina makes you really understand what a despicable human being Bud Adams is for moving his franchise for the only purpose of making more money. I'm glad he regretted it, but little consolation to Houston football fans.

Sorry for the off-topic rant. Your post just pushed a button.
Old 02-11-2010   #5
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 17854 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

it's cold up there
Old 02-11-2010   #6
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110699 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post
it's cold up there
down here too.
Old 02-11-2010   #7
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Adams had already made his decision to move the team by that point. I hate this is always brought up about Oilers fans, who put over 50,000 booties in the seats for three games during their lame duck season.

Looking at what Tom Benson did with the Saints after Katrina makes you really understand what a despicable human being Bud Adams is for moving his franchise for the only purpose of making more money. I'm glad he regretted it, but little consolation to Houston football fans.

I was a mere teenager but i'm CERTAIN that i knew about the rally beforehand. I'm not sure where i got the info but it had to be either the local newscast or the paper. I vividly remember planning to go and everything alas i didn't.
Old 02-11-2010   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I was a mere teenager but i'm CERTAIN that i knew about the rally beforehand. I'm not sure where i got the info but it had to be either the local newscast or the paper. I vividly remember planning to go and everything alas i didn't.
Well, maybe so, but perhaps those that knew about it found it pointless since Adams had already made his decision.

If 50,000 people had showed up, would that change anything? The answer is no, because Adams had already made up his mind and that was that.

Staying away might have been a form of protest since it was pointless and most folks did not like Bud.

Quote:
One city that isn't generating a fan uproar about its team leaving is Houston. Only 65 of the city's two million residents showed up for a rally last week in Houston to show support for the Oilers staying put and not relocating to Nashville.

The Oilers' owner, Bud Adams, has reached an agreement on a lease for a new stadium to be built in Nashville in time for the Oilers' 1998 season. In the interim, the team is supposed to play two seasons at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis.

Oilers cornerback Darryll Lewis said the players are not in favor of the move.

"The consensus is that we don't want to go to Tennessee," Lewis said. "We like Houston. We like the fans here. But we have no say. It's Bud Adams's team and if he says we're going to Tennessee, we're going to Tennessee."

Source
Old 02-11-2010   #9
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think there was some back room deals done to keep the Saints in NO instead of moving them to SA where Benson is from. I can remember going to the sold out games played in the Alamo Dome and the team got a good following around town because of that.
Old 02-11-2010   #10
Showtime100
Got AJ?

The writing was on the wall when Bud pulled the old standby saying "it's not playable" used by all teams sporting artificial turf. I believe San Diego was a little miffed as well seeing how they flew the team all the way to Houston just to find that out.
Old 02-11-2010   #11
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 25361 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, maybe so, but perhaps those that knew about it found it pointless since Adams had already made his decision.

If 50,000 people had showed up, would that change anything? The answer is no, because Adams had already made up his mind and that was that.

Staying away might have been a form of protest since it was pointless and most folks did not like Bud.
I'm from Houston and I understood. My point was the delivery in California made it appear that Oiler fans couldn't care less that the team was moving and didn't deserve to have them remain in Houston. I think that most fans don't show up to meet the team that lost. If memory serves correctly, I thought the big Oiler pep rally was somewhat of a consolation because the team was robbed.
StarStruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #12
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I mostly agree here. I just don't really buy the copout that the fanbase didn't know about the rally. I mean... If i knew about it... Aw man... I remember seeing bumper stickers that said... GO OILERS AND TAKE THE ASTROS WITH YOU! There has been a severe disconnect with the Oilers organization and the fans before they left. It's been there since the threat of moving to Jacksonville.
Old 02-11-2010   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
I think there was some back room deals done to keep the Saints in NO instead of moving them to SA where Benson is from. I can remember going to the sold out games played in the Alamo Dome and the team got a good following around town because of that.
But, regardless of the circumstances, he still made the decision to stay in New Orleans. He could have been an asshat like Bud and found another city, but he did not, and the Superdome was in 1000x worse shape than the Astrodome when Bud left (much less the state of New Orleans and the fan base).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
The writing was on the wall when Bud pulled the old standby saying "it's not playable" used by all teams sporting artificial turf. I believe San Diego was a little miffed as well seeing how they flew the team all the way to Houston just to find that out.
yeah, that ol' buzzard was planning it all along. He pulled it when he threatened to move to Jacksonville a few years before that and got $60 million in renovations to the 'dome. I think he's always been unscrupulous and that move just proved it so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
I'm from Houston and I understood. My point was the delivery in California made it appear that Oiler fans couldn't care less that the team was moving and didn't deserve to have them remain in Houston. I think that most fans don't show up to meet the team that lost. If memory serves correctly, I thought the big Oiler pep rally was somewhat of a consolation because the team was robbed.
I didn't mean to point a finger at you or anything.

The big Oilers pep rally after the Steelers loss is still considered a record for the biggest in NFL history, IIRC.

Quote:
I mostly agree here. I just don't really buy the copout that the fanbase didn't know about the rally. I mean... If i knew about it... Aw man... I remember seeing bumper stickers that said... GO OILERS AND TAKE THE ASTROS WITH YOU! There has been a severe disconnect with the Oilers organization and the fans before they left. It's been there since the threat of moving to Jacksonville.
Well, it must depend on the circle you're in. I sent out an e-mail and made some calls to my old football buddies (including both of my folks who had season tickets for years), and to be honest, NONE of them remember knowing anything about that rally until after it happened and they learned it on the news. It was just a small poll of about 20 people, but like I said, it was not well advertised before it happened.

Not that it would have made much difference about going if they had known or in Bud's mind since his decision was already made at that point.

I remember the bumper stickers, though, but that does not necessarily reflect the feelings of all Oilers fans. Some of us loved that team until the end, which then fermented into a raging hatred for that gigantic jerk.
Old 02-11-2010   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But, regardless of the circumstances, he still made the decision to stay in New Orleans. He could have been an asshat like Bud and found another city, but he did not, and the Superdome was in 1000x worse shape than the Astrodome when Bud left (much less the state of New Orleans and the fan base).

yeah, that ol' buzzard was planning it all along. He pulled it when he threatened to move to Jacksonville a few years before that and got $60 million in renovations to the 'dome. I think he's always been unscrupulous and that move just proved it so.

The big Oilers pep rally after the Steelers loss is still considered a record for the biggest in NFL history, IIRC.

Well, it must depend on the circle you're in. I sent out an e-mail and made some calls to my old football buddies (including both of my folks who had season tickets for years), and to be honest, NONE of them remember knowing anything about that rally until after it happened and they learned it on the news. It was just a small poll of about 20 people, but like I said, it was not well advertised before it happened.

Not that it would have made much difference about going if they had known or in Bud's mind since his decision was already made at that point.

I remember the bumper stickers, though, but that does not necessarily reflect the feelings of all Oilers fans. Some of us loved that team until the end, which then fermented into a raging hatred for that gigantic jerk.
That describes me, spot on.
Old 02-11-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

IIRC it was planned by one radio station. If you listened, it was talked about for about a week. But Butt had already made his decision to move and had already agreed to terms with Tickville so mostly nobody gave a crap about the rally.

I was there for about 5 of the home games that final season, and I remembered being embarrased that the Oiler fans were outnumbered by the Steeler fans.

BUCK FUD!!!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #16
Red_Zone
Achtung Baby!

Rep Power: 97327 Red_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Red_Zone

― Frédéric Bastiat
Red_Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #17
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
IIRC it was planned by one radio station. If you listened, it was talked about for about a week. But Butt had already made his decision to move and had already agreed to terms with Tickville so mostly nobody gave a crap about the rally.

I was there for about 5 of the home games that final season, and I remembered being embarrased that the Oiler fans were outnumbered by the Steeler fans.

BUCK FUD!!!
I certainly didn't get the info from the radio. THAT I am certain of. Lol.
Old 02-11-2010   #18
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:

I wasn't singling anybody out either. I think we all are diehards here. Even secondhoneymoon. Most of us are here for the Texans. The fact remains is that there were a lot of people who wanted both the Astros and the Oilers out. I believe that we as a fanbase took professional sports for granted somewhat. It's all good! We've got a better organization now so it all worked out in the end but i was hurt bad when the Oilers left. I won't take THE Texans for granted that's for sure.
Old 02-11-2010   #19
Red_Zone
Achtung Baby!

Rep Power: 97327 Red_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respectedRed_Zone is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Red_Zone

Quote:
I certainly didn't get the info from the radio. THAT I am certain of. Lol.
What, your radio doesn't have closed captioning?

― Frédéric Bastiat
Red_Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #20
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wasn't singling anybody out either. I think we all are diehards here. Even secondhoneymoon. Most of us are here for the Texans. The fact remains is that there were a lot of people who wanted both the Astros and the Oilers out. I believe that we as a fanbase took professional sports for granted somewhat. It's all good! We've got a better organization now so it all worked out in the end but i was hurt bad when the Oilers left. I won't take THE Texans for granted that's for sure.
I wont lie, I am still hurt over that team leaving and it gets worse when I see old highlights of the Oilers. I enjoyed watching Full Color Football, but felt empty afterwards.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read