Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-11-2010   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Scott Wrights DraftCountdown.com

Updated 2/11/09

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Scott Wrights DraftCountdown.com

Patriots take Tebow in the 1st? Ummm, no.
Old 02-11-2010   #3
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Updated 2/11/09

Scott has us taking Brian Price and Toby Gerhart.

A couple of notable players we pass on in RD1: Earl Thomas. Dan Williams. Patrick Robinson.

A couple of notable players we pass on in RD2: Kyle Wilson. Daryl Washington.
Old 02-11-2010   #4
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Agreed. WTF is with Tebow in the first round? Especially to the Patriots who have 3 or 4 2nd round picks...
Old 02-11-2010   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213653 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
At this point , I'd be surprized if Tebow was taken in the 3rd round ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102657 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
If I was a team at the top like NE or NO then I would be very interested in using a 2nd or 3rd on Tebow. I wouldn't let him play QB though, I still think he can make a very good H Back in the NFL.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #7
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans will use at least one of the first two picks on the secondary.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2010   #8
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like the Brian Price pick. I don't care how good he was in college, he's just another Amobi Okoye and we don't need another one. If I want a DT then give me Lamar Houston who had a far more productive college career then Gerald McCoy, Brian Price, and any other DT not named Ndamukong Suh.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #9
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't pass on E.Thomas for Price. This draft is really deep at DT, with a dozen guys who could go by our 3rd pick. If Thomas or Iupati weren't there he would be one of my top choices though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I don't like the Brian Price pick. I don't care how good he was in college, he's just another Amobi Okoye and we don't need another one. If I want a DT then give me Lamar Houston who had a far more productive college career then Gerald McCoy, Brian Price, and any other DT not named Ndamukong Suh.
Lamarr Houston
Games: 50
solo tackles: 86 (1.72/game)
asst tackles: 50 (1/game)
solo loss: 31 (0.62/game)
asst loss: 9 (0.18/game)
sacks: 13 (0.26/game)
asst sacks: 2 (0.04/game)

Brian Price
Games: 35
Solo Tackles: 75 (2.14/game)
Asst tackles: 22 (0.63/game)
solo loss: 41 (1.17/game)
asst loss: 7 (0.2/game)
Sacks: 12 (0.34/game)
Asst Sacks: 1 (0.03/game)

Price was better in 4 of 6 categories with more solo tackles, solo TFL, Assisted TFL, and sacks per game.

Houston is a quality prospect, but Price is definitely rated higher by most people.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102657 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Houston is the same style DT that Price is. He holds up against the run but his best asset is his ability to shoot gaps and penetrate the pocket.
Old 02-12-2010   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather have Dan Williams than Price. I would rather have Earl Thomas than both. Wow, me wanting a UT player...Hell just froze over.
Old 02-12-2010   #12
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
How is he another Amobi Okoye?
Old 02-12-2010   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
How is he another Amobi Okoye?
Some people around here are under the impression that you cannot be successful with two gap penetrating DTs. They think that you "must" have a definitive NT.

It's just untrue. There are plenty of teams that have been successful in the past and present by employing four pass rushers on the d line.

Speed on defense is critical in the NFL and I would say that it is only absolutely necessary to have a big run stuffing NT if you run a 34. In any other style of defense it is a preference, not a necessity.
Old 02-12-2010   #14
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Some people around here are under the impression that you cannot be successful with two gap penetrating DTs. They think that you "must" have a definitive NT.

It's just untrue. There are plenty of teams that have been successful in the past and present by employing four pass rushers on the d line.

Speed on defense is critical in the NFL and I would say that it is only absolutely necessary to have a big run stuffing NT if you run a 34. In any other style of defense it is a preference, not a necessity.

Okay, I was wrong. So if the Texans employ a two gap scheme for the DTs, does this explain why Amobi Okoye doesn't have eye-popping stats? Two-gap DTs main responsibilty is to keep linemen off of the linebackers, correct?

So maybe Brian Price wouldn't be a bad idea, however, I think we could get another DT later on like Tyson Alualu.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Okay, I was wrong. So if the Texans employ a two gap scheme for the DTs, does this explain why Amobi Okoye doesn't have eye-popping stats? Two-gap DTs main responsibilty is to keep linemen off of the linebackers, correct?

So maybe Brian Price wouldn't be a bad idea, however, I think we could get another DT later on like Tyson Alualu.
I didn't mean two two gap DTs. I meant two single gap DTs. My wording may have been confusing.

Based on the d line personnel the Texans have acquired in the past I assume that they want to run a single gap defense where every player has a spot to fill. Price fits that mold.
Old 02-12-2010   #16
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I hope he gets taken before then. I really don't want to tempt Bob McNair. You know how giddy he gets about choirboy football players.
Old 02-12-2010   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, there is like a new mock draft on here every single day now. None of these mean anything at this point. We're so far away from the draft, that I just don't see the point of this. It's like one masturbation session after another about who the Texans might pick based off of some mocks that have no relevance right now.

Hardly any of this will be anything good to gauge off of until you get a few weeks closer to the draft. Until then these mock drafts are about as relevant as a mock draft would be for the 2011 draft.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
BALTIMORE RAVENS: ARRELIOUS BENN, WR, ILLINOIS
No way the Ravens pass on Earl Thomas. With Ed Reed seeking retirement as an option, they will not pass up a great FS at 23 for another WR. If the Texans don't take him at 19/20, the Ravens should snatch him up if the Packers don't either.

The Tebow pick is just dumb. The Patriots could get him in the 3rd round if they wanted to, but with 3 2nd round picks, I don't see how they couldn't find a better RB if they wanted to use Tebow as a RB. The Patriots should be going for a secondary player in the first round. They need a lot of help with their pass defense.
Old 02-12-2010   #19
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I didn't mean two two gap DTs. I meant two single gap DTs. My wording may have been confusing.

Based on the d line personnel the Texans have acquired in the past I assume that they want to run a single gap defense where every player has a spot to fill. Price fits that mold.
Obviously the Texans defense doesnt run just one type of defense that requires just one type of DT, but the Texans seem to like having one one gap DT and one NT to eat up blockers like a Jeff Zagonia. Except it seemed that Jeff got quite a bit of pressure on QB's and RB's in the backfield.

So do the Texans need a run stuffer/double team taker like NT Dan Williams, or another 1 gap shooter DT like Brian price?
Old 02-12-2010   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Obviously the Texans defense doesnt run just one type of defense that requires just one type of DT, but the Texans seem to like having one one gap DT and one NT to eat up blockers like a Jeff Zagonia. Except it seemed that Jeff got quite a bit of pressure on QB's and RB's in the backfield.

So do the Texans need a run stuffer/double team taker like NT Dan Williams, or another 1 gap shooter DT like Brian price?
With the way the NFL is drastically shifting to a passing league, I would prefer another one gap guy like Price. If we do that, we give up a little against the run but improve against the pass.

At the end of the day though, I just want the best players on the field. If that means drafting Dan Williams then fine.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read