Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


The National Football League League News & Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame
 
CloakNNNdagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,406
Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Coach Game Plans and Decisions...........

................can make the difference.

Here’s an interesting perspective of how the Saints may have overcome the Colts.

Quote:
The football gods smiled on the Saints

Fortune favors the bold! The Saints had nothing to lose in the 44th Super Bowl, since their season was already a success regardless of the outcome. All the pressure was on the Colts, whose season would be a failure unless they won. The Saints were loose and spontaneous, the Colts were stiff and mechanical. Boldness was the key to the New Orleans victory -- not just the onside kick to open the second half, but also Sean Payton's decision to try for a touchdown on fourth-and-goal at the Colts' 1-yard line, trailing 10-3. Though that play failed, the failure was a tremendous success -- fortune favors the bold!

How was the failed fourth-and-goal try a success? Short-term, by improving the New Orleans situation at the end of the first half. After the turnover on downs, Indianapolis took possession on its own 1-yard line with 1:49 remaining until The Who began shrieking. Timidly -- that is, not boldly -- the Colts called three consecutive dives into the line and then sent in the punt unit, even though New Orleans had all its timeouts when the Indianapolis possession started. Using the timeouts, the Saints preserved enough time to launch a field goal as the first half ended, making it 10-6 at intermission. Thus New Orleans got the three points it would have gotten anyway had Sean Payton sent in the place-kicker on fourth-and-goal. But if he had done that, Indianapolis would have taken possession in much better field position following the kickoff, with time (and two timeouts) to score as well before intermission. Payton knew that if his fourth-and-goal attempt failed, Indianapolis would be pinned against its own goal line with the clock ticking and the Saints holding three timeouts. The Saints were better off going for it and failing on fourth-and-goal than kicking a field goal. Fortune favors the bold!

The long-term impact of the successful failure? Here are New Orleans' offensive possession results from the point of the failed fourth-and-goal: field goal, touchdown, field goal, touchdown, touchdown, kneel-down to conclude the NFL season. Following the failed fourth-and-goal, for the remainder of the game, the Saints outscored the Colts 28-7. Tuesday Morning Quarterback favors the fourth-down try because when a coach goes for it on fourth down, he is challenging his players to win the game. This column notes that often it's better to try on fourth down and fail -- challenging players to win -- than do the "safe" thing and launch a kick. Never has the virtue of the failed fourth-down try been better displayed than in the New Orleans Super Bowl triumph. And an opposite event proves the rule: Faced with a critical fourth-down choice in the fourth quarter, Indianapolis coach Jim Caldwell did the "safe" thing, leading to a fiasco.

Fortune also favors a good game plan! Once again, Indianapolis ran exactly the same looks and sets it had used in previous games, especially on offense -- see below on how this helped with New Orleans' game-icing interception. Once again, New Orleans rolled out new plays and new looks. Most importantly, the tastefully named Gregg Williams, the Saints' defensive coordinator, totally changed his tactics. All season long, the Saints have been blitz-wacky, blitzing way too much for TMQ's taste. Against Brett Favre in the NFC Championship Game, Williams called 34 blitzes -- a typical NFL defense executes 10-15 blitzes per game -- with many of them six-man blitzes and two-thirds of them involving a safety. In the Super Bowl, Williams called five blitzes -- only one was a six-man rush, and only one involved a safety.

Peyton Manning loves to be blitzed; he has an offensive line that picks up the blitz better than any other line in the league; surely the Colts spent two weeks practicing to face constant blitzing. But on Sunday, the Saints hardly ever blitzed. Often Williams sent only three rushers as the Saints used a lot of 3-3-5 formations, a look they had not shown this season. This appeared to be the last thing Manning expected -- it worked like a charm, and the football gods smiled on the New Orleans Saints.
Last year, the Texans vowed to build up “rushing power” through FA and the draft, to compete with the Colts.........and, specifically with Manning. Yet, it seemed that no matter what we threw at Manning, he’s always managed to get the ball away just in time. Could it be that our commitment to “get to Manning” should be redirected more to getting to Manning’s targets?
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 44,605
Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coach Game Plans and Decisions...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Last year, the Texans vowed to build up “rushing power” through FA and the draft, to compete with the Colts.........and, specifically with Manning. Yet, it seemed that no matter what we threw at Manning, he’s always managed to get the ball away just in time. Could it be that our commitment to “get to Manning” should be redirected more to getting to Manning’s targets?
Possibly so. I will point out the Texans got to Manning 4 of the 10 sacks he took this year so Texans 4 sacks in 2 games v. rest of the league 6 sacks in 14 games.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #3
RazorOye
Ayo
 
RazorOye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,258
Rep Power: 38001 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coach Game Plans and Decisions...........

Quote:
Against Brett Favre in the NFC Championship Game, Williams called 34 blitzes -- a typical NFL defense executes 10-15 blitzes per game -- with many of them six-man blitzes and two-thirds of them involving a safety. In the Super Bowl, Williams called five blitzes -- only one was a six-man rush, and only one involved a safety.

Peyton Manning loves to be blitzed; he has an offensive line that picks up the blitz better than any other line in the league; surely the Colts spent two weeks practicing to face constant blitzing. But on Sunday, the Saints hardly ever blitzed. Often Williams sent only three rushers as the Saints used a lot of 3-3-5 formations, a look they had not shown this season. This appeared to be the last thing Manning expected
this was my favorite part

most people in New Orleans who follow the Saints closely knew that all of the talk of pressure and "remember me" shots and all that - while he meant it I fully believe - was not indicative of the plan he was going to execute against the Colts

It would be suicide

Rather, the game plan more resembled what the D tried to do against New England. Just without so many on the backend of the D that often in the game.

I think Williams knew that (1) the Colts blitz pick up is terrific and that we don't have the talent in the front 7 to straight up beat their pass protection and (2) Manning is deadly against the blitz.

He felt comfortable with his 2 corners out wide - Greer and Porter had a really strong day. The TD pass to Garcon came against Young who was in for a play because Greer was hurt and on the sidelines.

manning saw the mismatch and went for it.

With Porter and Greer on their men and Sharper playing pretty damn deep, that left a lot of room across the middle and with intermediate routes. Clark was running wild.

It also left the scheme open for the running game - and the Colts took advantage at times. Eventually, though, as the game wore on it seemed the Colts tried running less. Maybe feeling the pressure of having to score and score quickly?

I really think the lack of blitz pressure surprised the Colts and when they adjusted, so did the Saints - more press, more man, a bit more pressure and disguises bringing pressure from looks and formations that were used earlier in the game.

I really liked the playcalling on the defensive end.

I was NOT looking forward to Williams's ego getting the better of him and trying to put Manning on the carpet like he did Warner and Favre. Thankfully, he didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Possibly so. I will point out the Texans got to Manning 4 of the 10 sacks he took this year so Texans 4 sacks in 2 games v. rest of the league 6 sacks in 14 games.
and the Saints lack the talent that the Texans have up front.

I think Williams is better than Smith.

And only 1/3 of our LB corps is comparable to what the Texans have.

The Texans front 7 are better than what the Saints would throw at Manning and his OL
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,811
Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coach Game Plans and Decisions...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post
this was my favorite part

most people in New Orleans who follow the Saints closely knew that all of the talk of pressure and "remember me" shots and all that - while he meant it I fully believe - was not indicative of the plan he was going to execute against the Colts

It would be suicide

Rather, the game plan more resembled what the D tried to do against New England. Just without so many on the backend of the D that often in the game.

I think Williams knew that (1) the Colts blitz pick up is terrific and that we don't have the talent in the front 7 to straight up beat their pass protection and (2) Manning is deadly against the blitz.

He felt comfortable with his 2 corners out wide - Greer and Porter had a really strong day. The TD pass to Garcon came against Young who was in for a play because Greer was hurt and on the sidelines.

manning saw the mismatch and went for it.

With Porter and Greer on their men and Sharper playing pretty damn deep, that left a lot of room across the middle and with intermediate routes. Clark was running wild.

It also left the scheme open for the running game - and the Colts took advantage at times. Eventually, though, as the game wore on it seemed the Colts tried running less. Maybe feeling the pressure of having to score and score quickly?

I really think the lack of blitz pressure surprised the Colts and when they adjusted, so did the Saints - more press, more man, a bit more pressure and disguises bringing pressure from looks and formations that were used earlier in the game.

I really liked the playcalling on the defensive end.

I was NOT looking forward to Williams's ego getting the better of him and trying to put Manning on the carpet like he did Warner and Favre. Thankfully, he didn't



and the Saints lack the talent that the Texans have up front.

I think Williams is better than Smith.

And only 1/3 of our LB corps is comparable to what the Texans have.

The Texans front 7 are better than what the Saints would throw at Manning and his OL
So you saying that Texans should stock up on DBs?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian
 
Double Barrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Onward, Upward, and back into the Trees
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Age: 47
Posts: 30,448
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coach Game Plans and Decisions...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
So you saying that Texans should stock up on DBs?
I wish!
__________________
"Football is only a diversion." ~ HOUSTON TEXANS
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 44,605
Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coach Game Plans and Decisions...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
So you saying that Texans should stock up on DBs?
You think the Capers era was bad, imagine it without Aaron Glenn. We need that true #1 again desperately.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger