Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-06-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ: Examiner Bio Texans draft watch: C/G Maurkice Pouncey

Quote:
Continuing our draft watch series, let's take a look at junior center/guard Maurkice Pouncey from Florida.

The Texans primary needs entering the 2010 draft are at running back, free safety, interior offensive lineman, defensive tackle and cornerback assuming Dunta Robinson leaves in free agency.

Pouncey will show up as a center in most scouting reports but he can play center or guard. In my reviews, I'm looking for guys that project at center/guard instead of guard/tackle since the Texans primary need is at the interior positions.

Pouncey's ability flexibility to play center or guard is what makes him attractive as a potential draft pick of the Texans. His combination of size, strength and agility make him a good candidate for a zone scheme. He's quick enough to get to the second level and projects as a good pass blocker.

Based on current pre-combine and pre-Pro Day thinking, selecting Pouncey in the first round (#19-20 overall) might be a bit early. On the other hand, he is likely gone by the time the Texans pick in the second round (#51-52 overall).

Based on current projections, Pouncey would be considered a steal for the Texans in the second round. Sometimes interior linemen slip in drafts. He's also an underclassman who won't turn 21 until training camp.

But Maurkice comes highly decorated, having won the 2009 Rimington Trophy which is given to the nation's outstanding center in NCAA Division I-A football. So it's not like he's going to slip through any cracks.

As most SEC fans know, Maurkice has an identical twin brother Mike who decided to stay in school for his senior year and take over his brother's position at center for the Gators in 2010. It will be interesting to see how the twins adjust to being split up for the first time in their lives.

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...urkice-Pouncey
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #2
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 120 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ: Examiner Bio Texans draft watch: C/G Maurkice Pouncey

The only thing that I can think about when I hear about the twins, is the Texans getting both of them and being referred to as 'The Replacements'. It would be the best.
Line_Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love for the Texans to pick Pouncey in the 2nd round, he's been my 2nd round pick in every mock I've done for the last month. I agree with he'll most likely be gone by the time we pick at #51 so I'd like to trade up in the 2nd and get him. I don't think that Kubiak would trust a rookie C to make all the blocking assignment calls so I'd play him at LG for a year so that he can learn beside Myers and then take over the next year at C.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

well with caldwell (if he comes around) it would give them some versatility
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I'm getting giddy looking towards the draft. We are lucky enough to be in position to select some impact players at need positions. Depending on the route the coaches go, I can see us getting stronger in both interiors, adding a playmaker at RB and/or in the secondary. If we can hit on 3 of those 4 scenarios, we can hit at least .500 in the division next year (Which should mean playoffs given our record against everyone else). This is exciting!!!
Old 02-08-2010   #6
LikeMike
All Pro

Rep Power: 9210 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

He would be a reach in the first, and he probably ain`t there in the second...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
He would be a reach in the first, and he probably ain`t there in the second...
Well if that's the case and you love the guy....you move down in the first, especially if Vladimir Ducasse is still on the board, and you get an extra pick for this year or next. They have to shore up the o-line. And if they stand pat, stagnate is death in the NFL. You're either improving or you're sliding back. Sooner or later someone in Detroit is going to figure out Jeff Bacus is not an OLT. I saw in one of the mocks Adam Ulatoski going to the packers.... in the first round. I love the guy as a prospect but with them so high on Butler...there's no way will take him with any pick.
I haven't seen Ulatoski ranked that high. Which tells me...there's some panic going on out there. And where there's panic, there's opportunity.
Old 02-10-2010   #8
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't that pretty tall for a C?
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well if that's the case and you love the guy....you move down in the first, especially if Vladimir Ducasse is still on the board, and you get an extra pick for this year or next. They have to shore up the o-line. And if they stand pat, stagnate is death in the NFL. You're either improving or you're sliding back. Sooner or later someone in Detroit is going to figure out Jeff Bacus is not an OLT. I saw in one of the mocks Adam Ulatoski going to the packers.... in the first round. I love the guy as a prospect but with them so high on Butler...there's no way will take him with any pick.
I haven't seen Ulatoski ranked that high. Which tells me...there's some panic going on out there. And where there's panic, there's opportunity.
Yep. There will be a run on OT & DE in the first and RB in the 2nd and some players will go too high and that means some nice players will drop.
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #10
Big Poundcake
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 Big Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden cover

2nd round would be cool.
Big Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

man this guy destroys on impact. great drive & natural knee bender. to me he looks like a potential pro-bowl center for the next ten years. that being said if he does make it to the 2nd rd. he will not be there very long.

I would listen to trade offers if Earl Thomas or CJ Spiller are off the board. move down a few spots & add extra 2nd/3rd
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

BOTTOM LINE
I just do not understand why Maurkice is considered by some people as the best center in this draft! I see maybe a right guard for the next level or a player who hangs onto the long snapper's job, but right now I do not see a starting center for an NFL team. I do respect the fact that this kid has played for a high level program at the college level, but with all of his limitations, his LTI is way out there. I was careful to list all of the reasons why I do not think very highly of Maurkice for the next level because I know I'll have to take "one for the team" on this profile. Maybe Maurkice can develop better lateral agility and change of direction skills. Maybe a good line coach can teach him about protections and put him in a system that will mask his limitations. I can see him starting for some teams. But those teams would be teams that think they can "coach this kid up". Maurkice is not an impact offensive lineman. I see a serviceable right guard in a system that uses tight splits and has a good blocking back to help him out in pass protection. That means Maurkice is a systems offensive lineman with long snapping abilities.
Drew Boylhart 1/10
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ppSD/...ce.Pouncey.htm
"The Huddle Reports" Drew Boylhart is one guy who does not have a high opinion of Pouncey.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010   #13
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

So for the sake of argument, lets say that Spiller and Thomas are both gone and the Texans are unable to trade down. Would you consider taking Pouncey at 20?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
So for the sake of argument, lets say that Spiller and Thomas are both gone and the Texans are unable to trade down. Would you consider taking Pouncey at 20?
not over Kyle Wilson or Patrick Robinson. I doubt he grades out as the 20th best prospect or even in top 30, after that it gets interesting
Old 02-22-2010   #15
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
not over Kyle Wilson or Patrick Robinson. I doubt he grades out as the 20th best prospect or even in top 30, after that it gets interesting
Agreed 100%. I would love to snag Robinson at #20 and worry about center or guard in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not completely sold on Patrick Robinson. I need to think more about him. But if Wilson, Spiller, and Thomas are gone, I think it gets interesting.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I am not completely sold on Patrick Robinson. I need to think more about him. But if Wilson, Spiller, and Thomas are gone, I think it gets interesting.
There are so many issues to review when determining a players final draftable grade, they are all still open for discussion whether it be injury related, player needs to increase strength or attack the mental aspect of his game, CB is a very interersting position because fluid hips, recovery speed & a nose for the ball overcome so much. Patrick reminds me alot of Tracy Porter who came out of Indiana two years ago to the Saints early in the 2nd rd. I see both the inconsistantcies, mental lapses & increase needed in strength/work ethic but these guys can also make game defining moments/big plays (See Porters interception of Manning for a pick 6 in Super Bowl). Bottom line these are rare cats who are coveted by every organization, that inate ability to play the ball first, blanket amazing WR's, play off blocks & shed in run support is why a CB will go before a Center or Guard 9 times of 10.
Old 02-22-2010   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I love Pouncey, but wouldn't spend a 1st rdr on him.
He lost a few head to head battles against Cody.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #19
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I love Pouncey, but wouldn't spend a 1st rdr on him.
He lost a few head to head battles against Cody.
who didn't?
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
who didn't?
That's exactly the point.
The idea is to find someone who can sustain the likes of Jenkins.
Last year, there was Alex Mack.
This year, there seems to be nobody of the same caliber.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read