Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Baldinger: Bob McNair "content with mediocrity"

Quote:
NFL Network's Brian Baldinger shared some tough love for the Texans and owner Bob McNair this morning during an interview with Marc Vandermeer and John Lopez on Houston's SportsRadio 610.

Like many of you, I watch NFL Network regularly but I can't recall 'Baldy' going off on McNair, Kubiak and the Texans like he did this morning.

Here's how it went down.
Vandermeer: "Houston Texans, your thoughts…"

Baldinger: (chuckles) "Obviously Bob Mc Nair is content with mediocrity. The playoffs must not be that important... they’ve had four years to get it right. And I don’t know if they’re any better. I mean, when Matt Schaub plays like he did this year, plays 16 games they’re a pretty good team, but … to me … I don’t think they’re ever going to get it right."

Lopez: "I’m sensing that you think extending Gary Kubiak was a mistake."

Baldinger: "Like I said, if you want to go 8-8 … you want to go 9-7 and kind of just be at the brink, if that’s good enough, then that’s what you do, you stay with him. I don’t understand. Four years to get it right in this league to get it right is twice the eternity (?) that anybody really should get because you can win in this league right now – the Jets showed you. All you can do is keep stockpiling talent – tell me how they’re going to get better?"

You can listen to the entire podcast here, from the SportsRadio610 audio vault.
Quote:
I just wished someone would have reminded Baldinger that Rex Ryan's Jets had the exact same record in 2009 that Eric Mangini's Jets had in 2008.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...ith-mediocrity
Old 02-05-2010   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Baldinger: Bob McNair "content with mediocrity"

there is a certain local radio host saying the same "Mighty" thing
Old 02-05-2010   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
there is a certain local radio host saying the same "Mighty" thing
And he is a DICK not because of his message but because of his delivery. Berating people, being repetitive, etc. Plus today he said the Jets improved from 8-8 so he knows shite.
Old 02-05-2010   #4
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

He's talking like his pinky....way out there.
Old 02-05-2010   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is going nuclear in 3...2...1...
Old 02-05-2010   #6
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

This was my reaction when I read this nitwit's comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPl6FGeftaQ

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer

Last edited by Goatcheese; 02-05-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2010   #7
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
And he is a DICK not because of his message but because of his delivery. Berating people, being repetitive, etc. Plus today he said the Jets improved from 8-8 so he knows shite.

I won't listen to that tool not because I don't agree with his message, but because he has absolutely no objectivity what so ever. Plus his message day in and day out is the exact same thing. Not sure what he will do for a show once the Texans finally make the playoffs.
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2010   #8
DeMarCushPoll
UDFA

Rep Power: 38 DeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respected

The jets showed us what? That anyone can make to the playoffs when they're spotted two games?

He will choke on those words next season. AssBag!

How often do these so-called experts get it right anyway?

Bill Shankly
Old 02-05-2010   #9
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's called "blind faith" rather than mediocrity. Our owner must have faith that Kubiak and the "good old boy's club" will eventually pull it off and take his team to the BIG SHOW! Who knows??! I'll guess we'll see this time next year!
Old 02-05-2010   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I think it's called "blind faith" rather than mediocrity. Our owner must have faith that Kubiak and the "good old boy's club" will eventually pull it off and take his team to the BIG SHOW! Who knows??! I'll guess we'll see this time next year!
Exactly. There is no way McNair spends all this money because he WANTS an 8-8 team. He wants in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl just like every other owner. How he intends on getting the Texans there is the argument, not whether or not he WANTS to get there, because he does.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 02-05-2010   #11
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Add to Peter King speaking the truth this morning as well on 610.

King:"Listen, we sit every Sunday and wonder...how are the Texans going to screw up this game. It's not like they are going to get beat...they are going to find somehow to lose the game. Also, tell me a meaningful game that they have played in and won in the past three years. What, they beat the Colts once?"

Vandermeer: "Yeah, but we put on the 4 game winning streak at the end of the season to close out strong".

King: "But the barn door is shut at 5-7, I'm sorry. They shouldn't be in that situation."

Spoke the truth...and it hurts. I'm sure his podcast will be up shortly.
Old 02-05-2010   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
This thread is going nuclear in 3...2...1...
What a football guy saying what some of us have said....wow, maybe he should get an email to stick pink soap somewhere, that will teach him for thinking for himself.

I'm glad there are some voices around town now that don't feel the need to just to follow a company line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Add to Peter King speaking the truth this morning as well on 610.

King:"Listen, we sit every Sunday and wonder...how are the Texans going to screw up this game. It's not like they are going to get beat...they are going to find somehow to lose the game. Also, tell me a meaningful game that they have played in and won in the past three years. What, they beat the Colts once?"

Vandermeer: "Yeah, but we put on the 4 game winning streak at the end of the season to close out strong".

King: "But the barn door is shut at 5-7, I'm sorry. They shouldn't be in that situation."

Spoke the truth...and it hurts. I'm sure his podcast will be up shortly.
Funny part about this is that I've sene King keep the Texans in his top 15 all year based on the talent they have. He has made some nice comments. So it isn't like his goal is to bag on them.
Old 02-05-2010   #13
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

It's harsh, but both Baldinger and King have a good point. (I've never said that about Peter King before, but a stopped clock is right twice a day...) Houston coaching and players (esp. C/K. Browns) put our team in a crappy position. Had we not shat the bed against Arizona and Tennessee and Indy twice, we wouldn't have to hear them say anything.
Old 02-05-2010   #14
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, Baldinger seems out of touch with reality. I always enjoyed his analysis on NFLN, but that may change. It just didnt' seem very objective (going by the quote in the OP, I have not listened to the podcast yet).
Old 02-05-2010   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
What a football guy saying what some of us have said....wow, maybe he should get an email to stick pink soap somewhere, that will teach him for thinking for himself.

I'm glad there are some voices around town now that don't feel the need to just to follow a company line

Funny part about this is that I've sene King keep the Texans in his top 15 all year based on the talent they have. He has made some nice somments. So it isn't like his goal is to bag on them.
It's simply a matter of being the youngest team in the NFL. I wonder if King was sitting watching N.O play the past two seasons and thinking the same thing?

It usually takes very young and talented teams a few years to work themselves over the hump... look at the following teams:

Baltimore Ravens 2000... they had something like three 8-8 seasons in a row leading into a decade of championship level football.

Tennessee Titans (late 1990s and early 2000s)... three or four seasons around .500

Arizona Cardinals 2008 3 or 4 consecutive 7-8 win teams before breaking through, barely.

It doesn't have to happen that way. Sure, the Texans could've won another game or two. But, they didn't. And, I don't think it says anything about the team going forward except how close to great they are. I'm hardly going to panic because Kris Brown, Chris Brown weren't clutch last year. If Schaub, AJ, Mario, Cushing, etc... were choking away games at the end, then I'd be worried.
Old 02-05-2010   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I typically agree with Baldinger. I believe he was one of a few people who praised the Texans for acquiring Matt Schaub. He even said not to be suprised if the Texans start to show improvement just from that transaction alone back then. So I respect what he has to say. Mostly what he says is true but I think he just doesn't agree with Kubiak as being the guy to take The Texans to the playoffs and that's where I disagree.

I believe Kubiak will get us there. He says we have had four years to make it right but really we've only had 3 in terms of Kubiak having a decent QB. Let's face it, Kubiak wanted to be a head coach so he let Bob Mcnair hear what he wanted - that we could win with David Carr. Then he showed Mcnair we couldn't, and he went and got a good one. Since then we've seen lots of improvement offensively and now his QB has full grasp of the offense. When it comes to defense, he's never had the DC he's wanted until this year and there was some good defensive play this year after the shaky first month. Our team is young but we got alot of returning people.

As much as I believe Kubiak is the guy to take us to the playoffs, this year is a very critical year for him IMO. If he can make the playoffs, can he get our team to show up and be successful? If he can't do that or even get us there period, he needs to be gone.
Old 02-05-2010   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
It's simply a matter of being the youngest team in the NFL. I wonder if King was sitting watching N.O play the past two seasons and thinking the same thing?

It usually takes very young and talented teams a few years to work themselves over the hump... look at the following teams:

Baltimore Ravens 2000... they had something like three 8-8 seasons in a row leading into a decade of championship level football.

Tennessee Titans (late 1990s and early 2000s)... three or four seasons around .500

Arizona Cardinals 2008 3 or 4 consecutive 7-8 win teams before breaking through, barely.

It doesn't have to happen that way. Sure, the Texans could've won another game or two. But, they didn't. And, I don't think it says anything about the team going forward except how close to great they are. I'm hardly going to panic because Kris Brown, Chris Brown weren't clutch last year. If Schaub, AJ, Mario, Cushing, etc... were choking away games at the end, then I'd be worried.
So inserting players that weren't clutch over and over and losing in the same painful way year after year doesn't say anything about a team going forward?I think that was King's and Balldingers point..it does.
Old 02-05-2010   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I kinda get what he's saying, but you also have to look at the other side. This is a team that with a play here and there, they are a 12 win team. Do you really want to go with uncertainty when you truley are so close? Cower would be solid, but thats a change in scheme. IDK, I'm ok with the extension, cause if it doesn't work, Bob eats the cash.
Old 02-05-2010   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
So inserting players that weren't clutch over and over and losing in the same painful way year after year doesn't say anything about a team going forward?I think that was King's and Balldingers point..it does.
I agree.

This is a good point.

For me, I try to understand why he did what he did. If it made sense, even if it wasn't what I would have done.... then I've got to weigh that with the other tangibles Kubiak has done, good & bad alike. Then see if the bad out-weighs the good.

For the life of me, I can't understand how anyone's "score card" can be so overwhelmingly to the bad, that it justifies firing him.
Old 02-05-2010   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, when your starting HB is injured and your backup can't pass protect and also puts the ball on the ground, your choices quickly diminish. When your kicker, coming off an all-pro season, collapses in the middle of the season, there is not much to do. The thing to be excited about is that neither player will be on the roster, much less in a position to impact the games next year!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read