Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2005   #41
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
And then he had the worst season of his career in 2003.
Nice job of jumping a post. I was responding to a question about the prognosis for recovery for the injury Payne just had. And Walker's injuries in 2003 were completely different--turf toe and a shoulder injury. Frankly I think last year was the worst of Walker's career--he was actually on the field and not producing as opposed to unable to play.
Old 03-03-2005   #42
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
Paynes trouble all started, because of a terrible playing surface in NO. He was still in a rehabilitation stage during last year. This coming year I believe we will see the powerful Payne destroying the opposing OL. Just keep up the faith and believe he can be that player again.

I hope so. He is one of the most liked players on the Texans team. Just before he was injured the first time he looked like a monster out there. I think he would have had a pro bowl year.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #43
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Payne had a great year for the Texans. He missed all but a few plays of the last game so it isn't like they lost him for the whole season. At least he's out injured with real injuries (Torn ACL, Torn Hamstring insertions). I'd rather have that than the dreaded day to day turf toe that lost last year for Walker.

Payne is one of the better 2 gap linemen in the league.
Old 03-03-2005   #44
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Nice job of jumping a post. I was responding to a question about the prognosis for recovery for the injury Payne just had. And Walker's injuries in 2003 were completely different--turf toe and a shoulder injury. Frankly I think last year was the worst of Walker's career--he was actually on the field and not producing as opposed to unable to play.

I wasn't jumping a post. I was just pointing out that right after that pro bowl year Walker had he had his worst year. And we are paying Walker big $. Hopefully he will have a better year this year since we are keeping the same dl.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #45
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

I thought it was funny how Payne pretty much went under the radar in 2002. He was the glue of that defense. No one talked about him. He was the invisible man .. then the injuries, and everyone realized the huge role he had played.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #46
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re
FAs are not always a sure thing. Very rarely will big name acquisitions make a huge impact immediately.

Aside from Trotter and Staley, no other big name FA made a positive difference [that I can think of....]

I think the resigning of Payne is a smart move.... although he is not the best player at the position, it is better to keep a player nearing a decline who knows the system, rather than overpay for a player who's also near the decline but has to learn the system.
Kearse had a pretty good year in Philly.
Old 03-03-2005   #47
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah I just remembered that.... man, even in the offseason, Kearse gets no love.....
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2005   #48
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to brickmantexanfan Send a message via Yahoo to brickmantexanfan

In The Words Of Clubber Lang My Prediction For The 2005 Season Of Our Opponents."payne!"
Old 03-03-2005   #49
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225061 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Walker has been to the Pro Bowl as a Texan. He just needs to come back healthy. I think his injuries hampered his play last year. I look for him to bounce back strong in 2005
I expect 2002-esq seasons from Walker and Payne this coming year. Barring injury I think they can both be forces on the line and will be for a couple more years. So many people were ready to see Payne hit the door and seem to want Walker gone as well but that is IMO a mistake. Unfortunate injuries at bad times have combined to make these two look like they're no longer quality starters.

If that's over and they stay healthy then these are two linemen capable of dominating. There's a reason we took them both in the expansion draft and it was because they were legitimate starting players who fit what we wanted to do here and who had years left. Understanding that seems to have been lost over the last two seasons.
Hervoyel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #50
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1354788
I... im hoping that its not hugely back loaded like it may be. Im thinking while we have the cap room its better to average it out as much as possible, I cant see him being round for the full 4 years, ... in which case when we cut him we wont have as much dead money counting on the cap in a few years time ...
Dead money comes from signing bonus, not salary. Payne's signing bonus is very small. If you agree he won't play 4 more years under this contract, then the ideal scenario for the Texans would actually BE a massively backloaded contract. Regardless of front-loading, even-payout or back-loading. Payne's cap hit (assuming the published details of the signing are accurate, of course) will be precisely 1.125 million per year remaining on his contract if he were to be cut. Thus, if we cut him in 3 years, his 4th year cap hit will be 1.125m of dead money. The more he is scheduled to make in yr 4, the lower the cap number will be in yrs 1-3.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #51
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Payne interview(real player)
Payne press conf (real player)

Payne knows drama
By Carter Toole
Houstontexans.com

In his heart of gridiron hearts, Seth Payne didn’t want to leave Houston.

He liked his teammates and coaches. He liked the city. And his wife, Brandi, is due to have the couple’s first child in May. A major move is not exactly what Payne was seeking at this point in his life. But Payne also understands that this is a business. That’s why he was on a flight to New York Wednesday morning in the first few hours of the free agency period. Payne also had scheduled visits to Cleveland and New Orleans. He was simply performing his due diligence.

Luckily for Payne and the Texans, he was back in Houston Wednesday night. And today he sat before the cameras as the proud owner of a new four-year contract. “I’m just really excited to still be a part of this organization,” Payne said. “It was a little dicey there for a minute. I was starting to worry about going to another team. Yesterday morning I thought the opportunity to come back was pretty much gone.”

Payne was sitting in a doctor’s office on Long Island yesterday, getting checked out before heading to his hotel on Long Island. Dinner with the Jets coaches would follow. New York had lost its nose tackle, Jason Ferguson, to the Cowboys and were eager to talk to Payne. But en route to the hotel his cell phone rang. Agent Ralph Cindrich told Payne to head home. Payne asked his driver, one of the Jets’ trainers, to turn around and head back to LaGuardia Airport. “I felt kind of bad for the guy,” Payne said.

That’s the way free agency works, especially on the first day, when players are scattered all over the country. But let’s just consider the flight to and from the Big Apple as a minor detour on the road back to Houston. “It’s been a great 24 hours,” Payne said. “I think they do things the right way here. I love the guys on the team. I love the way they conduct business. I think we have the potential to be one of those teams that’s a playoff contender every year.”

Count head coach Dom Capers among those excited, and relived, to have Payne returning. And not just for his performance on the field. “Seth means more to the team than just his play,” Capers said. “He is a leader, he has a great work ethic and he knows what it takes to win. He has fought through adversity and gained the respect of his team and the entire organization.”

The Rodeo rides outside the south entrance to Reliant Stadium have nothing on Payne’s rollicking journey the past two years. After enjoying a career season in 2002 with 147 tackles, Payne opened the 2003 season in dominant fashion. But his season ended after just five quarters as he suffered an ACL injury in his left knee at New Orleans. “I got my foot stuck and the knee gave out on me,” Payne said.

His season was over, but the drama was only beginning. Payne had surgery on Sept. 29, 2003, and the initial rehab was proceeding as normal. But his knee flared up a few months later. Doctors first thought it was a staph infection before discovering that Payne’s body was rejecting the cadaver tendon. On Jan. 12, 2004, Payne went under the knife again. This time, doctors took a patella tendon from his right knee and put it in his left ACL.

His rehab delayed, Payne nevertheless remained the hardest-working man at Reliant Stadium. He had been previously caught in the weight room on Christmas Day and sustained that work ethic after the second surgery. He finally hit the field in the Texans’ final preseason game against Tampa Bay.

Payne would be the first to admit it took him a few games to get his sea legs back last season. But soon enough, Payne became the high-motor 3-4 nose tackle they remembered. He started 12 of 16 games, collecting 84 tackles and two sacks, eventually earning the team’s Ed Block Courage Award. But it was that 16th game and 12th start that provided the latest bit of pain and subsequent drama. In Houston’s season finale against the Browns, Payne went down in the second quarter. The first thought for everybody in the stadium was obvious: It’s his knee again.

Actually, it was Payne’s hamstring and it was torn. Even if it wasn’t the left knee, it was still a huge setback for a player two quarters away from free agency. But Payne tackled his latest rehab with the same fervor as his previous rehabs.

Let’s be honest, Payne’s recent history was a factor on the free agent market, whether it was Houston, New York, Cleveland or New Orleans. But his determination and leadership were also factors, and the Texans had a window into those dynamics that the other teams did not. (Except perhaps the Browns, where former Texans defensive line coach Todd Grantham is now defensive coordinator.) It’s one thing to hear how hard a player works. It’s another thing to see it day in and day out with your own eyes.

Payne’s press conference today was at 11:30 a.m. We expected him to arrive and sign his contract maybe a half-hour before heading downstairs. Payne walked though the lobby before 9 a.m. We should have known better. Payne is as punctual as his head coach and now he’s back in the Texans fold. Both men couldn’t be happier.

Houstontexans.com

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #52
Vinnie333
Rookie

unfortunately, I'm still not sold on Payne being much of a presence in the middle this year. He's coming off some injuries and is on the wrong side of 30. But hopefully he'll prove me wrong and give us a great year.
Vinnie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #53
JacksonvilleJaguar4
Rookie

Default Seth Payne

I read on your home page that you guys resigned Seth Payne, but from what I have read on this board alot of you guys don't think to highly of Payne, so whats the deal, I would imagine that there would be more complaining about this signing then from what I have seen so if someone could tell me about their feelings on Payne and his new deal that would clear up alot of questions for me
Old 03-11-2005   #54
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Payne is half and half.

On one side, he is great when healthy, and already knows the system.

On the other side, he hasn't been healthy lately, and we passed up Pat Williams.

To me, I didn't mind..... Payne may not have been the best we could have gotten, but we could have done worse.
Old 03-11-2005   #55
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Payne is a dominant force on our line when he's healthy. He makes our defense better. However as gg no re mentioned he hasn't been healthy alot lately. If he remains healthy next season you should see a big jump in our defensive play.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #56
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

what alternative was/is there to payne right now? the draft dosent have a lot to offer in the early rounds in the way of nose tackles and free agency didnt provide a lot of options either (maybe 2 players). we know when payne is healthy and not recovering he can be a good player. i dont think the contract was outrageous. it pretty much fits....and we had to have a nose tackle.
Old 03-11-2005   #57
gg no re
iggnorent

Supposedly, we were close to a deal with the top free agent NT Pat Williams....

I'm glad we didn't sign him.... his bonus at Minnesota is CRAZY.
Old 03-11-2005   #58
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i still like payne, and am kidan glad we re-signed him, i'm just glad it wasnt his knee again, he should rehab well from his previous injury. Lets be thankful it wasnt his knee again, a hamstring injury has a lot less afect on a player long term and short term than a knee injury does. He should become dominant once again next season !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005   #59
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 23884 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

the latest...

Quote:
Texans | Payne Still Recovering - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:46:50 -0800

Katie Lewis, of HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans DL Seth Payne (hamstring), who suffered a hamstring injury in the 2004 season finale, is still recovering from the injury and is expected to be limited in the team's offseason workouts. Payne may be ready to go at full speed by minicamps in June.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005   #60
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope he regains his old form next year and stays healthy...

He's the key to our defense's success...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read