Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2005   #21
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Eric Brown is a good hard hitter but not really a playmaker and I don't know if he is recovered at 100 % of his injury...
I think you can pretty much book that Glenn Earl is our starting Strong Safety at this point, barring injury.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #22
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate
Wow. Maybe Gary needs to "injure" his Hamstring again this offseason. Then well have TWO pro bowlers on the DL!! :woot

Ok, that wasnt funny.
Don't sell yourself short... it actually was pretty funny!

Of course, I've been drinking...

haHA!
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #23
Alex
Rookie

I know who Glenn Earl is but I didn't thinked that he wins his place on the starting lineup.... I still think that Ronnie Heard can be a good signing.

Also the Texans pursue UFA Linebacker Morlon Greenwood who make 101 tackles last year. I don't know why the Texans want another linebacker even they have Babin, Wong and Peek outside
Maybe to take Kailee Wong place next year when he will become UFA

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3065660

Last edited by Alex; 03-02-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #24
Rosusu
All Pro

As long as Payne can stay healthy I think he is a good sign. I still wouldnt mind drafting a linemen or two.
Old 03-02-2005   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Walker has been to the Pro Bowl as a Texan. He just needs to come back healthy. I think his injuries hampered his play last year. I look for him to bounce back strong in 2005

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #26
Rosusu
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Walker has been to the Pro Bowl as a Texan. He just needs to come back healthy. I think his injuries hampered his play last year. I look for him to bounce back strong in 2005

I think he is just getting older and loosing a step or two. I dont expect him to get any better.
Old 03-02-2005   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quality 2-gap linemen generally have long careers. He doesn't need to get any better. Just play up to his potential and get back some of that explosiveness that he lost with the hamstring issues. Walker was in the Pro Bowl two years ago and isn't finished.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2005   #28
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 31526 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I know who Glenn Earl is but I didn't thinked that he wins his place on the starting lineup.... I still think that Ronnie Heard can be a good signing.

Also the Texans pursue UFA Linebacker Morlon Greenwood who make 101 tackles last year. I don't know why the Texans want another linebacker even they have Babin, Wong and Peek outside
Maybe to take Kailee Wong place next year when he will become UFA
Glenn Earl is still getting up to full speed from his knee injury..... look at Edgerrin and McGahee.... it took them 1-1.5 years to get back to 100%.... so next season, we will see what Earl can really do....

As for taking another LB, Texans are looking at Morlon as an ILB to pair with Sharper. Even said so in the article.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #29
Rosusu
All Pro

I agree he is not finished but I dont think he will ever play the way he played two years ago. IMO
Old 03-02-2005   #30
Ranger
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger

I don't know about yall, but I would want to be giving Pat Williams 4 mil a year instead of Seth Payne. I can't beleive we were close to making a deal with Pat and then said all of a sudden......."Oh well hey Seth we are close to getting your replacement, but do you wanna come back?" Maybe the Texans doctors know more about his rehabitation than I do or they have unbeleivable faith in him, but I don't think I would be taking this risk on him. I would go with the sure thing in Pat Williams. But then again who knows. Pat could get injured the first day of training camp and be out for the season and Payne could go to the Pro Bowl. You never know.
Old 03-02-2005   #31
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 31526 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

FAs are not always a sure thing. Very rarely will big name acquisitions make a huge impact immediately.

Aside from Trotter and Staley, no other big name FA made a positive difference [that I can think of....]

I think the resigning of Payne is a smart move.... although he is not the best player at the position, it is better to keep a player nearing a decline who knows the system, rather than overpay for a player who's also near the decline but has to learn the system.
Old 03-02-2005   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I would rather have DeLoach than Payne, straight up. He's younger and
doesn't have the injury baggage that Seth has. Whatever DeLoach gets with us or elsewhere, be interesting to see how that deal compares to Seth's deal.
Other than the injury issue, DeLoach isn't close to the player Payne is. The drop across the front 7 is obvious when Payne has not been in/up to full speed. DeLoach holds his ground--Payne pushes back the pocket, may not get the QB but creates the problem Carr has, no pocket to step into so players from the perimeter get a better chance to make a play.
Old 03-02-2005   #33
SESupergenius

Vikings signed Pat Williams DT to a three-year, $13 million contract including $6 million in bonus money. The deal also includes incentives that could eventually reach $15 million.

That is a ton of bonus money compared to what Payne got, I like the decision by the Texans, we may have overpaid slightly for Payne, but he knows our system already and IO guess the prognosis is good. We still go after a DL in the draft.

If we can go after 1 big name (ie Burress) and sign a few average ones we would be sitting pretty.
Old 03-02-2005   #34
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re
Aside from Trotter and Staley, no other big name FA made a positive difference [that I can think of....]
If you're refering to last season...

Owens!!!!!!!!!!
Dillon
Feely.... er, no...
Brunell...

Ok, for the most part your point is taken , but there were some hat made a difference
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #35
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Payne is also a bit younger than Williams.

Payne just turned 30 in February, while Williams is 32.5 years old and will turn 33 in October.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #36
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Owens and Dillon were not free agents last year.

They were both acquired via trade.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #37
gg no re
iggnorent

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
If you're refering to last season...

Owens!!!!!!!!!!
Dillon
Feely.... er, no...
Brunell...

Ok, for the most part your point is taken , but there were some hat made a difference
I want to say Owens and Dillon, but they were trades for the most part....

Oh well, there is always the Brunells, Warners, and Garcias to offset the cream of the crop.
Old 03-03-2005   #38
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Gary Walker had the same surgery after the completion of his 2001 season and recovered to have a pro-bowl 2002 season.

And then he had the worst season of his career in 2003.

I think we over paid for Payne after the last 2 years he had. I like Payne and I think most Texan fans do but it boils down to what have you done for me lately. The last 2 years the answer is not much. So we are signing him based on what he did prior to those 2 years hoping he can get back to that level. I'll say one thing. The Texans don't shy away from signing injured players.

Last edited by bckey; 03-03-2005 at 02:36 AM.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #39
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
And then he had the worst season of his career in 2003.

I think we over paid for Payne after the last 2 years he had. I like Payne and I think most Texan fans do but it boils down to what have you done for me lately. The last 2 years the answer is not much. So we are signing him based on what he did prior to those 2 years hoping he can get back to that level. I'll say one thing. The Texans don't shy away from signing injured players.
Paynes trouble all started, because of a terrible playing surface in NO. He was still in a rehabilitation stage during last year. This coming year I believe we will see the powerful Payne destroying the opposing OL. Just keep up the faith and believe he can be that player again.
Old 03-03-2005   #40
tom1354788
Rookie

I was just thinking about how i hope Payne's deal is structured, im hoping that its not hugely back loaded like it may be. Im thinking while we have the cap room its better to average it out as much as possible, I cant see him being round for the full 4 years, I see us drafting a NT this year or next, to take over from payne, in which case when we cut him we wont have as much dead money counting on the cap in a few years time.

i have never really understood back loading contracts (for veterans, diffrent for young players), apart from the motivation standpoint, why would you wanna pay more for a player when the chances are his play has droped off.

i realise that he will never be paid his 4th year wage, either being restructured or cut, but personally i hate the effect of dead money, look whta it has done to teams like the titans!
tom1354788 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read