Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2005   #1
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Payne coming back to Houston

according to www.houstonprofootball.com

Texans Bringing Back the Payne!

Seth Payne and Kiefer Sutherland both know just how much can change in 24 hours.

After conversations on Tuesday between the Texans and the agent for Payne produced no agreement, the defensive tackle was planning trips to several destinations, including Cleveland and New Orleans among others, to find employment elsewhere.

All that changed Wednesday afternoon though, as Payne agreed to a new four-year contract with the Texans. According to ESPN.com, the agreement will be worth a total $16 million, including a $4.5 million bonus. The webiste claims Payne might have been spurred to sign the deal after learning the Texans were near a deal with former Bills nose tackle Pat Williams.

Payne, 30, is recovering from surgery to repair two hamstrings, and while he is expected to be ready for the 2005 season, his risk for future injury may have been a deterrent for the Texans to offer him a contract earlier. Following a valiant return to the playing field last year after multiple knee surgeries, Payne contributed 51 tackles and 2 sacks to a strengthing Texan defense.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #2
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

If this is true... then how about a FULL FREAKING SEASON from this guy. We are such a better team with him healthy and full force. Lets see it this year.
Tailgate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #3
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 25372 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

I don't know why I'm feeling iffy about Payne coming back...hopefully he's healthy.
Old 03-02-2005   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

4 frickin million per year. oi-vay.

If we sign dayne then that will be our free agency splash. WOOO WE GOT STACY MACK part II!
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #5
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid

If we sign dayne then that will be our free agency splash. WOOO WE GOT STACY MACK part II!
I can swallow the 4 million thing if Payne stays HEALTHY all year. BTW.. does anyone know what type of recovery he is looking at for the Hamstring injury? Ready for mini camp? Training camp? Reg Season?

I also see ZERO reason to sign Ron Dayne. We got enough running backs. Lets keep focusing on the trenches... and maybe a wr..Kevin Johnson if we can get a good deal.
Old 03-02-2005   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate
BTW.. does anyone know what type of recovery he is looking at for the Hamstring injury? Ready for mini camp? Training camp? Reg Season?
Gary Walker had the same surgery after the completion of his 2001 season and recovered to have a pro-bowl 2002 season.
Old 03-02-2005   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Gary Walker had the same surgery after the completion of his 2001 season and recovered to have a pro-bowl 2002 season.
Wow. Maybe Gary needs to "injure" his Hamstring again this offseason. Then well have TWO pro bowlers on the DL!! :woot

Ok, that wasnt funny.

Last edited by Tailgate; 03-02-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2005   #8
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You're focused on the wrong number. Payne will represent 3-3.5 million against our cap this year and 3.5-4.5 million next year. Then he'll either have made a full recovery and be the great NT he was in the expansion year, restructure to a lower number or be released after June 1 (1.13 cap hit - trivial as far as these deals go).

For comparison, Jamie Sharper represents 6.13m against our cap this year. Aaron Glenn is 5.17m. Seth will probably be a little less than the cap hit of Steve McKinney and a bit more than that of Zach Wiegart. Payne's cap number LAST year was 4.17m

The Texans left themselves plenty of room to get out in case Seth is done after this year.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I was still thinking numbers in the 2 mil range would be more fitting.

ahh well.. we will just have to see what happens.. if he stays healthy he is worth it.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #10
Alex
Rookie

I don't understand why the Texans let go their deal with Pat Williams to resign Seth Payne for about the same amount of money ....

Payne's deal is 4 years/16 millions (average of 4) and Pat Williams deal with Vikings (according KFFL) is 3 years/13 millions (average of 4.3 mil.). Personally I really think that Williams would be better than Payne in a 3-4 scheme.

P.S. Sorry for the gramatical mistakes, I'm from Quebec, Canada....
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like 3 years and a 6 million dollar bonus for Williams.
Quote:
Vikings | Williams Agrees to Three-Year Deal - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:42:03 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Minnesota Vikings have signed free agent DT Pat Williams (Bills) to a three-year, $13 million contract including $6 million in bonus money. The deal also includes incentives that could eventually reach $15 million

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #12
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the move. I would guess that is about as low as we could go monetarily and not get ourself into a potential bind later on if we missed on a few guys at NT. I don't know how the contract is laid out, but I hope the guaranteed money is paid sooner rather than later. I was hoping Payne would come back for a year or two because I really like a few NT prospects in the 2006 draft.
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

4 mill does seem a tad stong for a guy coming off of two injured seasons. I like the guy and when he is able to play at his best he is more than worth what we are paying. Just another roll of the dice on an injured player by CC. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt us like Walker has.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #14
texansfan88
All Pro

we were close to a deal with Williams? one of the best run stuffers in the league? and we didn't do it? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #15
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well...all i know about payne's injury is this...he says he'll be ready by training camp...but knowing the texans organization and the way we slowly bring back starters he'll probably be going full speed by pre-season...i too think pat williams would have been the better option but who knows what kind of injuries he has suffered lately...and maybe just maybe pat williams character doesn't fit the other guys in the lockerroom...all in all payne knows the system and when he's fully healthy he's damn good in it...i'm just glad we're not going into the draft without a NT
Old 03-02-2005   #16
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I was still thinking numbers in the 2 mil range would be more fitting.

ahh well.. we will just have to see what happens.. if he stays healthy he is worth it.
Depending how backloaded the contract is, it's not impossible the number this year might be less then 3 mil.

My wild-guess estimated salaries were 2.25, 3.25, 4.75 and 5.75, which would be a little less backloaded than the "standard" NFL contracts. The more backloaded the salary, the more likely Payne is cut/restructured in 2 years, but his cap number for the next two years is reduced as a result.
Old 03-02-2005   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather have DeLoach than Payne, straight up. He's younger and
doesn't have the injury baggage that Seth has. Whatever DeLoach gets with us or elsewhere, be interesting to see how that deal compares to Seth's deal.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #18
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I don't understand why the Texans let go their deal with Pat Williams to resign Seth Payne for about the same amount of money ....

Payne's deal is 4 years/16 millions (average of 4) and Pat Williams deal with Vikings (according KFFL) is 3 years/13 millions (average of 4.3 mil.). Personally I really think that Williams would be better than Payne in a 3-4 scheme.

P.S. Sorry for the gramatical mistakes, I'm from Quebec, Canada....
It's the roughly same amount of money assuming Williams and Payne both play out their contracts. However, the Vikings will take a bigger cap hit if they have to release Williams in less then 3 years - Given the contract numbers you mention, I'd estimate he'll be about 7-7.5 million on the Vikings cap that year (worse if he makes any incentives) and be 35 years old, so the Vikings may very well regret their choice.
Old 03-02-2005   #19
Alex
Rookie

Personally I would like to see Williams in the middle of the Texans D-Line. But if the money saved can help the Texans to bring a good WR like Travis Taylor or Kevin Johnson I think that it's a good move. And I don't know why the Texans negociate with Ron Dayne Even he is a good 3rd down RB I believe that the Texans have already a good "Power RB" in J.Wells. I also think that the Texans must pursue a good safety like Ronnie Heard or Idrees Bashir. Eric Brown is a good hard hitter but not really a playmaker and I don't know if he is recovered at 100 % of his injury...
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
And I don't know why the Texans negociate with Ron Dayne Even he is a good 3rd down RB I believe that the Texans have already a good "Power RB" in J.Wells. I also think that the Texans must pursue a good safety like Ronnie Heard or Idrees Bashir. Eric Brown is a good hard hitter but not really a playmaker and I don't know if he is recovered at 100 % of his injury...
The Dayne rumor was just a rumor from what I gather so they may not have been in negotiations with him. Eric Brown doesn't start at SS anymore. There is a guy named Glenn Earl who took over the job last year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read