Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

My first mock

HuttoKarl

Veteran
I don't normally try to mock and spend more time checking out other's hard work. I just wanted to try a mock that could net us a couple of RB's and still hit up our weaknesses elsewhere. I used a 7 rounder I found as a guide for relative player rank, along with some help from draftdaddy.com and some scout.com

1. Dan Williams DT
2. Patrick Robinson CB
3. Mike Johnson OG
4. Walter McFadden CB (stole this pick from the 7 rounder I looked at...like the CB depth)
5. Charles Scott RB
5. Adam Ulatoski OT (Tackle depth is a good thing)
6. Chris Brown RB (Not THAT Chris Brown...the guy from Oklahoma...thought about maybe Stafon Johnson RB here too)
7. Jordan Lake FS

I don't normally try to mock and spend more time checking out other's hard work. I just wanted to try a mock that could net us a couple of RB's and still hit up our weaknesses elsewhere. I used a 7 rounder I found as a guide for relative player rank, along with some help from draftdaddy.com and some scout.com

1. Dan Williams DT
2. Patrick Robinson CB
3. Mike Johnson OG
4. Walter McFadden CB (stole this pick from the 7 rounder I looked at...like the CB depth)
5. Charles Scott RB
5. Adam Ulatoski OT (Tackle depth is a good thing)
6. Chris Brown RB (Not THAT Chris Brown...the guy from Oklahoma...thought about maybe Stafon Johnson RB here too)
7. Jordan Lake FS

I like Scott and Ulatoski. But....Scott has a bad shoulder....they wouldn't let him go in the senior bowl. They sent him home. I'm not opposed to taking him bad shoulder and all. But the odds are you're looking at an operation and not seeing him at all,until 2011. Just like Jeremiah Johnson last year.

Ulatoski is being banged all over the place. He has the correct size. However every time they talk about Butler, they just fawn all over the guy. I think as much as i like Ulatoski as a prospect, it's highly unlikely the Texan's take him with a draft pick. JMO.

Other than that good mock.

I like the idea of Johnson, and Ulatoski on the O line.

Also your first 2 picks would be quite a haul if we could get them both. Great selections. Kuddos HuttoKarl.

I like Scott and Ulatoski. But....Scott has a bad shoulder....they wouldn't let him go in the senior bowl. They sent him home. I'm not opposed to taking him bad shoulder and all. But the odds are you're looking at an operation and not seeing him at all,until 2011. Just like Jeremiah Johnson last year.

Ulatoski is being banged all over the place. He has the correct size. However every time they talk about Butler, they just fawn all over the guy. I think as much as i like Ulatoski as a prospect, it's highly unlikely the Texan's take him with a draft pick. JMO.

Other than that good mock.
Agreed, especially on Scott. I wanted to watch him this last season but no luck.

just did another this morning and came up with this...

New one since work is slow...

1. Jonathan Dwyer RB GTech - big back, nice TD totals.
2. Maurkice Pouncey C Florida - versatile, big and strong.
3. Javier Arenas CB Alabama - sort of small but still makes big plays. Has value in return game too.
4. Linval Joseph DT E.Carolina - Huge tackle that can get into a backfield and collapse a pocket.
5. Van Eskridge FS E. Carolina - 6 picks, 9 breakups. We need this badly.
5. Andre Dixon RB UConn - 1000+ yards, 14 scores, one DUI...kept his nose clean since. Worth a fifth round shot.
6. Marshall Newhouse, OG TCU - had a nice E-W Shrine game.
7. Aaron Pettrey, PK Ohio State - I truly want Kris Brown gone. This guy showed accuracy and strength.

This version of my mock would probably mean that we resigned Chester Pitts and didn't have a gross need at Guard. Again...went with the 2 RB (meaning we struck out at RB in free agency) draft.

3. Javier Arenas CB Alabama - sort of small but still makes big plays. Has value in return game too.
4. Linval Joseph DT E.Carolina - Huge tackle that can get into a backfield and collapse a pocket.
5. Andre Dixon RB UConn - 1000+ yards, 14 scores, one DUI...kept his nose clean since. Worth a fifth round shot.
7. Aaron Pettrey, PK Ohio State - I truly want Kris Brown gone. This guy showed accuracy and strength.

This version of my mock would probably mean that we resigned Chester Pitts and didn't have a gross need at Guard. Again...went with the 2 RB (meaning we struck out at RB in free agency) draft.

I like this one much better. It would require some help, of course, maybe a trade back to get both Dwyer & Pouncey? Arenas could play nickle or FS, already on board with Joseph, Eskridge is a hitter, maybe a SS to back-up Pollard, really like Dixon would be one of the later round RB options, Newhouse if there, Pettrey would ease kicking concerns. nice work :)

Last edited:

I agree with Beerlover and have some of the same guys on my current mock as this. Like him, I doubt Pouncy will be on the board that late in 2nd round. A suggestion is to look at JD Walton Baylor center in 3rd allowing you to use your 2nd for a CB.
Another suggestion is compare Dwyer to Toby Gerhart. I was on Dwyers bandwagon and if we get him, good; but for me TG is better. I also had Dixon & Newhouse reversed with Dixon in 6th. His speed concerns as Walter has him at 4.45 but most others have him slower. Like you I think Pitts may return and Newhouse should be a good replacement eventually. Anyway, great effort.

Back