Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!
 
Texans34Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Displaced in Cowboys Hell
Age: 36
Posts: 1,298
Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mock-draft-version-1

20. Houston Texans* -- Earl Thomas, CB/S, Texas: Capable of playing either safety or cornerback, Thomas is a local guy who can fill a pressing need for the Texans. A first-team All-American and a Thorpe Award finalist, Thomas manned the middle for the Longhorns' top-ranked defense. Houston got some good contributions from Bernard Pollard and John Busing in November and December, but could use top-notch young talent at safety to go with their star-studded front 7.

51. Houston Texans -- Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State
__________________
ADOPT-A-TEXAN 2013-2014- AJ80 "DRE"

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #2
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,044
Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mock-draft-version-1

20. Houston Texans* -- Earl Thomas, CB/S, Texas: Capable of playing either safety or cornerback, Thomas is a local guy who can fill a pressing need for the Texans. A first-team All-American and a Thorpe Award finalist, Thomas manned the middle for the Longhorns' top-ranked defense. Houston got some good contributions from Bernard Pollard and John Busing in November and December, but could use top-notch young talent at safety to go with their star-studded front 7.

51. Houston Texans -- Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State
We do have a starting FS in Eugene Wilson. If DR is gone, we need a strong candidate to replace him. Kyle Wilson is the second best CB in draft. I like Quin but not sure he is ready for starter role & I would not put Reeves against the best WR opponent. I really, really like Thomas but as a CB, I have to move him behind Haden, Wilson and maybe Perrish Cox. Earl can play two key positions, but I am unsure if his hip swivel is where it needs to be. How fast is Mathews?
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame
 
The Pencil Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 52
Posts: 17,656
Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How fast is Mathews?
Fan Spot projects him at about a 4.46.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame
 
The Pencil Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 52
Posts: 17,656
Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsiEY7ilKcU

Does this guy even last to our 2nd pick?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame
 
TheRealJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Conroe
Age: 27
Posts: 3,640
Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
We do have a starting FS in Eugene Wilson. If DR is gone, we need a strong candidate to replace him. Kyle Wilson is the second best CB in draft. I like Quin but not sure he is ready for starter role & I would not put Reeves against the best WR opponent. I really, really like Thomas but as a CB, I have to move him behind Haden, Wilson and maybe Perrish Cox. Earl can play two key positions, but I am unsure if his hip swivel is where it needs to be. How fast is Mathews?
Has our safety play been so bad in this franchise's short history that we think Eugene "I played half the season" Wilson is the answer at FS? Wilson is serviceable, but if Thomas is there then he's a great value pick plus a possible ballhawk (which we've never had at safety) in the secondary.

Its very similar to the Cushing pick last year. Diles was a solid SAM, but he was also coming off a broken leg and even if healthy Cushing provided an upgrade. Wilson's a solid FS but he's not getting any younger and even if he's healthy I don't see him being better than Thomas.

Not to mention the fact that we'd actually have some quality depth in the secondary considering both Wilson and Thomas can play CB if needed. Plus, against the Colts three wides it would be useful to have 2 solid cover safeties that can play some CB against Indy's weapons.
__________________
What did the city of Houston do to anger the football gods?
TheRealJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #6
LikeMike
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 1,115
Rep Power: 27347 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

Its all depending on whether DR stays or goes. If he is gone we have a gaping hole at CB. If he stays, we are serviceable at CB and a little weak at FS. Id go with best player available here, probably in that order:

1. Dan Williams
2. Earl Thomas
3. Kyle Wilson

I hope that Dunta signs a reasonable contract and stays, so that we can adress our other weaknesses. With a rookie as CB1, and an injury prone FS that is "only" alright, not only Peyton would have a field day against us. Add to that a weakness in the middle and our defense would probably be worse than last year.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #7
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,044
Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Has our safety play been so bad in this franchise's short history that we think Eugene "I played half the season" Wilson is the answer at FS? Wilson is serviceable, but if Thomas is there then he's a great value pick plus a possible ballhawk (which we've never had at safety) in the secondary.

Its very similar to the Cushing pick last year. Diles was a solid SAM, but he was also coming off a broken leg and even if healthy Cushing provided an upgrade. Wilson's a solid FS but he's not getting any younger and even if he's healthy I don't see him being better than Thomas.

Not to mention the fact that we'd actually have some quality depth in the secondary considering both Wilson and Thomas can play CB if needed. Plus, against the Colts three wides it would be useful to have 2 solid cover safeties that can play some CB against Indy's weapons.
I don't disagree with anything you say but...can we compare Eugene Wilson to Schaub? Both missed games their first two years, both looked pretty good when they played healthy. When able to stay on field 16 games in his third season, Shaub did very well. I think Thomas would eventually beat out Wilson, but I am hoping DR is gone & Kyle Wilson can fill that role, rookie or not. I will not cry if we get either. In fact, FS THomas was my 1st round choice all year & everyone kept telling me he'd be gone. I also think WIlson pays FS as well as DR plays CB, so if you are willing to upgrade FS, using your own arguement, you should be willing to upgrade CB. IMO Thomas is not a better CB than Wilson but if we get Thomas I hope I am poved wrong.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2010   #8
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,044
Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Its all depending on whether DR stays or goes. If he is gone we have a gaping hole at CB. If he stays, we are serviceable at CB and a little weak at FS. Id go with best player available here, probably in that order:

1. Dan Williams
2. Earl Thomas
3. Kyle Wilson

I hope that Dunta signs a reasonable contract and stays, so that we can adress our other weaknesses. With a rookie as CB1, and an injury prone FS that is "only" alright, not only Peyton would have a field day against us. Add to that a weakness in the middle and our defense would probably be worse than last year.
The only weakness in the middle is pressuring the QB. Maybe we need to get a bit more from our DEs Smith and Williams?
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!
 
Dutchrudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston
Section: Fort Kickass
Age: 30
Posts: 15,063
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsiEY7ilKcU

Does this guy even last to our 2nd pick?
I doubt it, but if he's there he would be a great pick.
__________________
Life is too important to be taken seriously. -Oscar Wilde
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #10
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame
 
Texan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great State of Texas
Section: My couch
Age: 24
Posts: 4,087
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

We should try and get someone from the FA. If (probably not gonna' happen) we could get Nick Collins from the Packers and or get a veteran CB it would help us out a lot on opening day without having to play a rookie as a starter at CB or S.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Age: 58
Posts: 6,644
Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

I'm not against the Thomas Pick. He's a high end prospect at a need position. And he's going to grow. However doesn't the weight bother anyone besides me ? One hundred and ninety pounds. Some of you have golf bags that weigh more than that. There's no doubt the guy can flat out cover some territory in the middle of the field.
__________________
"Everybody understands that the only way we're going to do it is by extremely hard work."
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Age: 58
Posts: 6,644
Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The only weakness in the middle is pressuring the QB. Maybe we need to get a bit more from our DEs Smith and Williams?
That's what I was trying to get at the other day also. Ordick reminds me of Znoginia. And they love the Z man. But I think it's a push as to what extra Ordick, as good as he is, will bring to the pass rush. He'll flat out wear people out with his motor. But any more than the Z man did when he rotated in ?
__________________
"Everybody understands that the only way we're going to do it is by extremely hard work."
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #13
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame
 
nero THE zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Spring
Age: 30
Posts: 2,654
Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

Sign me up.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #14
FuzzyLogic
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14
Rep Power: 0 FuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I'm not against the Thomas Pick. He's a high end prospect at a need position. And he's going to grow. However doesn't the weight bother anyone besides me ? One hundred and ninety pounds. Some of you have golf bags that weigh more than that. There's no doubt the guy can flat out cover some territory in the middle of the field.
Just going from information on NFL.com and the Longhorns official site...

Earl Thomas; 5'10" 197 pounds

Compared to...

Ed Reed; 5'11" 200 pounds

Is Ed Reed to small?
FuzzyLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #15
b0ng
Ooops
 
b0ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 7,673
Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports Mock Draft 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I don't disagree with anything you say but...can we compare Eugene Wilson to Schaub? Both missed games their first two years, both looked pretty good when they played healthy. When able to stay on field 16 games in his third season, Shaub did very well. I think Thomas would eventually beat out Wilson, but I am hoping DR is gone & Kyle Wilson can fill that role, rookie or not. I will not cry if we get either. In fact, FS THomas was my 1st round choice all year & everyone kept telling me he'd be gone. I also think WIlson pays FS as well as DR plays CB, so if you are willing to upgrade FS, using your own arguement, you should be willing to upgrade CB. IMO Thomas is not a better CB than Wilson but if we get Thomas I hope I am poved wrong.
There is a hell of a lot more to be okay with at the CB position (Even if DR leaves) than there is at the FS position, especially if Wilson goes down again. I cannot be sad about a pick that keeps Busing off the field as much as possible.
__________________
\_(ツ)_/
http://www.thedrawplay.com/?p=88
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger