Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2010   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jacoby Jones Interview

http://www.sportsradio610.com/topic/...udioId=4362575

I enjoyed this one particularly because we haven't heard much from him...he's also not the type to just parrot a bunch of company lines, he speaks from the heart...

Here's a teaser: Dude says he's run a 4.24 forty
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby Jones Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post

I enjoyed this one particularly because we haven't heard much from him...he's also not the type to just parrot a bunch of company lines, he speaks from the heart...

I heard this interview real time on 610. I was especially struck by his humble responses. He gave kudos to his "competition" Glenn Martinez, saying that he was a fine receiver who pushed him to excel. He also took responsibility for his fumbilitis and meeting tardiness, to which he accepted Kubiak's "tough love" consequences. Sounded like a boy turning into a man.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #3
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wow! I knew he was fast and started out running Track, but I didn't think he was that fast in the 40. That's flying! Hope he has an even better season this year.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I heard this interview real time on 610. I was especially struck by his humble responses. He gave kudos to his "competition" Glenn Martinez, saying that he was a fine receiver who pushed him to excel. He also took responsibility for his fumbilitis and meeting tardiness, to which he accepted Kubiak's "tough love" consequences. Sounded like a boy turning into a man.
Agreed big time, he wants to be a better person/player which is the most important part of a player's development. Its going to be really interesting to see if they let Walter walk in free agency and put the #2 WR reigns in his hands....personally I don't see that happening but if circumstances (Walter being woo'd away with big $$) allowed that to happen, I'm not so sure thats a bad thing. JJ's got elite talent and will be a big time player some day and I've always thought this from his first preseason here.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #5
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ is 6'4 218?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #6
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Wow! I knew he was fast and started out running Track, but I didn't think he was that fast in the 40. That's flying! Hope he has an even better season this year.
Sorry I'm going to throw the BS flag here.. There is no way that Jacoby Jones runs the 40 in 4.24.. Maybe in college when he was about 40lbs lighter, downhill, being chased by a lion.. MAYBE..

Campus: 4.49 in the 40-yard dash … 2.58 20-yard dash … 1.52 10-yard dash … 34-inch vertical jump … 7½-inch hands … Right-handed.

Combine: 4.53 in the 40-yard dash … 1.65 10-yard dash … 2.66 20-yard dash … 4.31 20-yard shuttle … 7.03 three-cone drill … 34-inch vertical jump … 10-foot-9 broad jump.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #7
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 136 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah the 4.24 is highly suspiscious, he was just probably bragging, but doesnt take away the fact that he is really fast.

Jacoby reminds me alot of Donald Driver. If you look at DD career you will see that for the first 3 years, the guy was a nobody who barely got receptions. Then in year 4 he took off and never looked back. Sometimes players from small schools, that have some issues, need alot of time to mature and get to the speed of the game.

Given the oppurtunity to start, I think Jacoby can have a Donald Driver type year. If he does anything, he can at least stretch the field, and be able to cut Andre Davis.
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2010   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by No More 8-8's View Post
Jacoby reminds me alot of Donald Driver. If you look at DD career you will see that for the first 3 years, the guy was a nobody who barely got receptions. Then in year 4 he took off and never looked back. Sometimes players from small schools, that have some issues, need alot of time to mature and get to the speed of the game.
It takes most WRs about 3 years to really become starting quality WRs, as far as I can tell. In FF, people talk about it all the time. You know, it's FF, so who cares, right? But really, if you look at some of the WRs in the game today, many of them didn't take off right away.

This was Miles Austin's 4th season. He never did much of anything his first three. Wes Welker didn't really become the WR he is today until his 3rd or 4th season (and final one with the Dolphins). This Sidney Rice's 3rd season. Reggie Wayne's first couple of seasons were anything but remarkable. Steve Smith (NYG) didn't have a spectacular rookie or sophomore season. Steve Smith for the Panthers didn't do much in his first couple seasons as a WR, but was a good returner (like JJ). The list goes on .....

There are always the phenoms who come in and light it up right away, like AJ, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss back in the day, Anquan Boldin, Fitzgerald, etc. But a great number of WRs have to have their natural talent coached up on the practice field for a couple years. It's too soon to give up on JJ, as long as he has the fumble problem cured (which appears to be the case).
Old 02-04-2010   #9
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 136 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

This was Miles Austin's 4th season. He never did much of anything his first three. Wes Welker didn't really become the WR he is today until his 3rd or 4th season (and final one with the Dolphins). This Sidney Rice's 3rd season. Reggie Wayne's first couple of seasons were anything but remarkable. Steve Smith (NYG) didn't have a spectacular rookie or sophomore season. Steve Smith for the Panthers didn't do much in his first couple seasons as a WR, but was a good returner (like JJ). The list goes on .....
Yeah i completely forgot about the Panthers Steve Smith. I remember he was always a head case, getting into trouble. One occasion i recall is when he kicked on of the Texans during a game here at Reliant, that really cost the team.

Bottom line, it would be great if Jacoby would pan out because unlike alot of people on that list...Donald Driver, Miles AUstin, Welker, Steve Smith (NYG)....Jacoby was a pretty high pick.
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #10
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he is that fast and, that would be awsome if he replaced kevin JJ is more explosive.
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #11
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

nice interview..
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #12
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah i completely forgot about the Panthers Steve Smith. I remember he was always a head case, getting into trouble. One occasion i recall is when he kicked on of the Texans during a game here at Reliant, that really cost the team.

Bottom line, it would be great if Jacoby would pan out because unlike alot of people on that list...Donald Driver, Miles AUstin, Welker, Steve Smith (NYG)....Jacoby was a pretty high pick.
Steve Smith (NYG) was selected with the 19th pick in the 2nd round!
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah the 4.24 is highly suspiscious, he was just probably bragging, but doesnt take away the fact that he is really fast.

Given the oppurtunity to start, I think Jacoby can have a Donald Driver type year. If he does anything, he can at least stretch the field, and be able to cut Andre Davis.
He runs by people. He is very fast with pads on, which track guys normally arent. I think he could be a T.O type. Big, fast, and physical with a little shakey hands. He's just a little more agile.
Old 02-04-2010   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
JJ is 6'4 218?
Roster listed at 6 foot 200 lbs.
Old 02-04-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Everyplace I checked has him at 6'2 210 lbs...
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
PLAYER: DRAFT POS.

Sidney Rice: 2.12
Steve Smith (NYG): 2.19
Jacoby Jones: 3.9
Roddy White: 1.27
Vincent Jackson: 2.29
Michael Jenkins: 1.29
Devery Henderson: 2.18
Bernard Berrian: 3.15
Santana Moss: 1.19
Reggie Wayne: 1.30
Steve Smith (CAR): 3.12
Hines Ward: 3.31

There's just a few guys that have all gone on to be solid to great players, but whose first couple years in the NFL weren't anything of note. Never mind that there are way more busts than successes at the position, even if you only look at the first three rounds of the draft. Fans want the instant impact guy, but at the WR position, there aren't too many of them, and those are mostly drafted at the top of the first round. Jacoby's coming along fine, I think. (now that he doesn't fumble so much)
Old 02-04-2010   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The Texans list him at 6'2" 206 lbs and NFL.com at 6'2" 210 lbs. What roster are you referring to?
Old 02-04-2010   #18
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Sorry I'm going to throw the BS flag here.. There is no way that Jacoby Jones runs the 40 in 4.24.. Maybe in college when he was about 40lbs lighter, downhill, being chased by a lion.. MAYBE..

Campus: 4.49 in the 40-yard dash … 2.58 20-yard dash … 1.52 10-yard dash … 34-inch vertical jump … 7½-inch hands … Right-handed.

Combine: 4.53 in the 40-yard dash … 1.65 10-yard dash … 2.66 20-yard dash … 4.31 20-yard shuttle … 7.03 three-cone drill … 34-inch vertical jump … 10-foot-9 broad jump.
A rubber track is a lot faster surface than the AstroTurf they ran on at Indy. It could easily shave .15-.2 seconds off his time, and 4.24 was his personal best. It's not really that far fetched.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #19
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed big time, he wants to be a better person/player which is the most important part of a player's development. Its going to be really interesting to see if they let Walter walk in free agency and put the #2 WR reigns in his hands....personally I don't see that happening but if circumstances (Walter being woo'd away with big $$) allowed that to happen, I'm not so sure thats a bad thing. JJ's got elite talent and will be a big time player some day and I've always thought this from his first preseason here.
I'm hoping that KW is a "Team Guy", obviousley he plays for the money just as much as the next guy, but I think (I hope) he knows he thrives in this system because of players like #8, #80, and #81. I'm not taking anything away from K Dub because he's a stud in my book, but when you got AJ and OD taking the heat off of you you're gonna catch some passes, it just helps that he's sure handed and blocks like a small tractor.
Old 02-04-2010   #20
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
A rubber track is a lot faster surface than the AstroTurf they ran on at Indy. It could easily shave .15-.2 seconds off his time, and 4.24 was his personal best. It's not really that far fetched.
Hell if I fell off the top of a 40 yard high building I couldn't beat 4.5 seconds to the ground, let alone 4.24, so he's got me beat either way!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read