Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-02-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default More examples of poorl local sports coverage

Well, I know we've been through this, but:

1. Recently discovered from a Denver radio broadcast that Slaton had his surgery 2 weeks ago.

2. 5 players had tryouts recently that went unreported in Houston.

3. Ray Wright was fired... I wrote to John McClain in his blog about this. Here it is... His response is the worst non-answer I've ever read:

JM,

It's been reported that Ray Wright, the head trainer, has been fired. When/why did this happen? what is the plan going forward? Was it a philosophical issue? What were they displeased with? who are they looking at to replace him?

{John, people get fired. It happens every year in almost every department. Bosses aren't happy with somebody's performance. I know they're looking for a replacement. -- JOHN}
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: More examples of poorl local sports coverage

If the Texans don't tell JMC then he just doesn't know.
Old 02-02-2010   #3
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 176 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree w/the overall point but I see nothing wrong w/McLame's answer. Besides since when did a trainer getting fired become big news?
blitz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz90 View Post
Agree w/the overall point but I see nothing wrong w/McLame's answer. Besides since when did a trainer getting fired become big news?
Well, when your questions are asking for "why he was fired", "who are they looking at to replace him", etc...

And his response is "people get fired and they are looking to replace him"... what question is he answering?
Old 02-02-2010   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was last year. BTW, the strength and conditioning coach is a pretty important position for any NFL team.
Old 02-02-2010   #6
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 135 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah a s &t coach is real important. i mean just look at the really bad teams in football, i bet they lead the league in players on injured reserve. the good teams know how to keep the players healthy, which is the most important thing.

The truth is McLain had no clue about and how no real answer
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
It was last year. BTW, the strength and conditioning coach is a pretty important position for any NFL team.

Exactly HT! Just ask little dickie justice about how important it is......LMAO.
Old 02-02-2010   #8
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

You are harping on the Best guy in Houston to get Texans info. He did not know cause the texans did not want him to know. I will take John McClain over any reporter in houston or Dallass. He is very knowledgable and is also very much a doen to earth guy. It is the off season and John deserves a little RandR don't you think. I look foreward to his stuff once training camp starts.
Old 02-02-2010   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
You are harping on the Best guy in Houston to get Texans info. He did not know cause the texans did not want him to know. I will take John McClain over any reporter in houston or Dallass. He is very knowledgable and is also very much a doen to earth guy. It is the off season and John deserves a little RandR don't you think. I look foreward to his stuff once training camp starts.

For ovewrall football knowledge, McLame would not make a pimple on Gosselin's butt... imo
Old 02-02-2010   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
For ovewrall football knowledge, McLame would not make a pimple on Gosselin's butt... imo
Not only Gosselin but Cowlishaw in Dallas and others here and in Dallas. McClain tells a good story. His football knowledge is basically what someone told him. He can't analyze and break down games. The media here is horrible....print and radio, except for a few
Old 02-02-2010   #11
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

John's a nice guy! I read more complaints about the Chronicle though than I do compliments.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My general criticism is directed at sports journalism in Houston as a whole. For instance, LZ doesn't attend the Kubiak press conferences because of babysitting issues with his kid... Give me a break!

Regarding my criticism of J. McClain, if you don't know the answer to the question, then say "I'll find out", and then make a few phone calls. Don't evade the question by restating it as an answer.
Old 02-02-2010   #13
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You forgot the sarcasm smiley
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #14
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Rick Gosselin is excellent. I think his work is exceptionally good with the draft and his information is usually very accurate.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #15
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 119300 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain, lol. I don't read him much and there's a reason. He's just not informative. The other day I was watching an ESPN (?) show about the game's most punishing RB's. Knowing Big Earl was going to be included in there somewhere I kept watching.

They get to Earl, all great stuff, Dan Pastorini describing the Isiah steamroll. Enter McClain, he said the best hit Earl ever laid on anybody was the hit on Jack Tatum and I didn't misunderstand him. Um, no. Earl got whacked by Tatum on that play and was never the same after that very hit. For my money is was the hardest Campbell was ever hit, but here's McClain calling it Campbell's best hit. My jaw was on the floor and I would never again give McClain the time of day once I stopped laughing. I was embarrassed for the guy.

Also, I thought the answer he gave dalemurphy was awfully flippant. End of season? Needs a break from the Texans? Take two weeks off for vacation and don't think sports. Not cool to blow off a reader like that, IMO.
Old 02-02-2010   #16
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain comes across like a nice enough guy, but I can't stand most of his pieces or his blog, especially the comments. All of the Texans vs Cowboys crap that he instigates is just mind-numbingly inane and pointless. So what some guy calls all Houstonians "loopers"? BFD. What does that have to do with our football team?

I really miss the days of the Post where there was actually a bit of competition in the market.
Old 02-02-2010   #17
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL. Dale, I saw that thread, and I saw that question.

Agree it was a piss-poor, non-answer.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read