Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2010   #1
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Put the pink soap away for good: Kubiak extended until 2012

Bob McNair is ready to do what many have predicted--extend Gary Kubiak.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6846344.html

Continuity is a good thing with the talent foundation the team has. Me likey.
Old 02-01-2010   #2
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Put the pink soap away for good

I said it on the other board(Mailman saw it )

Quote:
Texans owner Bob McNair is working on a multiyear contract extension for coach Gary Kubiak that could be completed as early as next week.

Kubiak has one year left on the five-year, $10-million contract he signed to become the Texans coach in 2006. Kubiak's new deal is expected to extend through the 2013 season and perhaps longer, according to McNair.

“We've been working on our assistant coaches, and we don't have all of them signed, but I think we've pretty much got them resolved, and everybody will be signed through 2012,” McNair said Monday. “Now we're in the process of working on Gary's extension, and I think probably by next week, we'll have his finalized.

“His will run at least one year longer than (2012), maybe more.”
Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith, who joined the Texans in 2006 and signed a four-year extension in 2008, have put together a team that's coming off its best season. The Texans won their last four games and finished 9-7. They missed making the playoffs for the first time on the last day of the season.

“I think Gary's done a good job,” McNair said. “I look at our results, and I look at what some other coaches have done, and I evaluated his performance against others. We have a great foundation in place.”

McNair wasn't going to let Kubiak work under a one-year contract.

“I think continuity's extremely important in building a strong team,” he said.
“It can impact free agency.

“It's important when you hire (assistant) coaches. Our new coaches (offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp), who are outstanding, were getting contracts beyond Gary's, and I told him to let them know it wasn't an issue.

“I think we're on the right path. I think we have to keep building on the foundation we have.”

The Texans are going to hire a new strength and rehabilitation coach. Ray Wright, who was elevated last year when Dan Riley was fired, also was fired after the season.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...ontent=Twitter

Time to put all that coaching talk aside. At the same time, please hear me out. I understand not wanting your coach to work under basically a 1 year deal where he is a lame duck, but on the other side, what has warranted an extension? 1 winning season? Maybe a 2nd this upcoming year? Ahh it is what it is.
Old 02-01-2010   #3
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak got the extension but he will still be fired next season if he doesn't improve and get this team in the playoffs. And you can bet the soap will show up on these boards quick if the Texans get off to a crappy start. No excuses next year and if the Texans make the playoffs next year with the brutal schedule they have then Kubiak will deserve to stick around. The extension was merely to keep potential free agents from getting scared off and give the coaching staff some confidence going into next season.
Old 02-01-2010   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think this means he has as much job security as an extension may imply. Believe me, if the team went 5-11 next year he'd be fired and we'd be paying 2 head coaches for years. This, to me, is more for what McNair said, posturing in free agency and giving assistants security. We couldn't have gotten Dennison if Kubiak's situation wasn't addressed. We wouldn't be able to sign free agents to multi-year deals in free agency if they kept asking "will the HC be here in the future?"

Yes Kubiak is being given a vote of confidence but its not a blind endorsement of his career as an HC. Really, no HC in this league has job security. Everyone is on a one year deal.
Old 02-01-2010   #5
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

That is the first I had heard about Ray Wright getting fired. I guess they didn't care for him too much to fire him after 1 year.
Old 02-01-2010   #6
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Good points Bckey and M5K. I'll admit, I jumped since I saw extension, and was thinking, what?! But both valid points you both brought up
Old 02-01-2010   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn. Now there's one less thing to argue about.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2010   #8
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

The Kubiaks and their coach know he only has one more year left to prove other wise.
Old 02-01-2010   #9
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
That is the first I had heard about Ray Wright getting fired. I guess they didn't care for him too much to fire him after 1 year.
Yeah this is the first I have heard about that. Wonder if they have someone in mind. I can't wait for all the feel good fluff pieces on whoever it is. Boy, our players sure sounded like they loved Ray's new regimen. Third times a charm.

Rex Ryan handing a game ball to their S&C coach after week one couldn't have helped his chances.
Old 02-01-2010   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Yeah, it's kind of strange. I suspect that he may have mis-handled something, because I didn't see anything that said "Fire that guy". In fact, they seemed to have better health overall than in most of the previous years.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 02-01-2010   #11
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE HEH.

"Today, I feel that I am the luckiest man on the face of the earth"

"Except for my kid being born, this is the greatest day in the history of my life... and I just want to say one thing to my wife, who's at home. Yo Adrian, I did it! I did it!"

Sorry. I couldn't come up with anything original to express the shear joy I'm feeling right now, so I thought I'd leave it to Lou Gehrig and Rocky Balboa.
Old 02-01-2010   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Really, this isn't a surprise and still doesn't take the pressure off this next year. If he loses, he is gone and they eat a couple of years. If he wins, they have him locked in.
Old 02-01-2010   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Damn. Now there's one less thing to argue about.
I think we've clearly shown here on Texans Talk that we can argue over nothing at all if the situation calls for it.

We should be good until something else comes up.
Old 02-01-2010   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Kubes is getting an extension until 2013, he probably has to go Capers in order to get the axe next year. Unlike players coaches money is normally guaranteed in the NFL. If I saw a one or two year thing, then, I would accept that Kubiak is playoffs or bust, but I am not buying that McNair is going to just pay good ole Gary four years of pay for 1 year of work w/o it being obvious that he made a huge mistake. (See extending Carr).
Old 02-01-2010   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

get over it pink soap lovers its done, time to move on
Old 02-01-2010   #16
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Put the pink soap away for good:Extension in works for Kubiak until 2013

Holy shit.

My first season ticket payment is due in a few weeks. McNair wants more of my cash for this mediocre coach?

*******k him. If they want to look at a successful coach in four years, give Sean Payton a call.
Old 02-01-2010   #17
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE HEH.

"Today, I feel that I am the luckiest man on the face of the earth"

"Except for my kid being born, this is the greatest day in the history of my life... and I just want to say one thing to my wife, who's at home. Yo Adrian, I did it! I did it!"

Sorry. I couldn't come up with anything original to express the shear joy I'm feeling right now, so I thought I'd leave it to Lou Gehrig and Rocky Balboa.
Don't get too smug now. At the end of the day, your boy Kubiak will likely lead his team to 8-8 next year.

Extension or not, a shitty coach is a shitty coach.
Old 02-02-2010   #18
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Put the pink soap away for good:Extension in works for Kubiak until 2013

Is there anyway we can keep him for next season, see how he does THEN extend him? I have a bad feeling that once he gets his extension he will fall flat on his ass and we might end up 6-10 or something....hope this doesn't happen.

What I think of Kubes = + +
Old 02-02-2010   #19
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Is there anyway we can keep him for next season, see how he does THEN extend him? I have a bad feeling that once he gets his extension he will fall flat on his ass and we might end up 6-10 or something....hope this doesn't happen.

That's exactly what's going to happen. He's going to get complacent, sit on his butt, ignore the division games, bring us to 7-9, and say "It's all on me."
Old 02-02-2010   #20
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post

So what was Kubiak supposed to say to Dennison? Come coach for a year with me in Houston, move your family and risk your coaching reputation on a lame duck year with me? The only way to attract coaches AND keep the ones on your own staff is to offer security. On paper this will provide that security. But then again anything on paper can be changed or ripped up (although you still have to pay the contract).
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read