Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Probowl MVP Will That Bring More National Love For Matt And The Texans?

gary

Hall of Fame
I hope it does as every fan of the Houston Texans know the team does not get nearly as much coverage or love by fans around the league. During the game last night I posted if you do not think AJ's and Matt's game was huge you were wrong some here were wondering who posted on here that it was not huge and the truth is no one did. I just think it's time for more love for the Texans and Matt together. No one may say the QB is the problem anymore simply because it is not. I know not many say this anymore but also he is not given as much credit on the national stage as Manning, Brady, or big Ben. Now I know local fans embrace both AJ and Matt as well as the entire team if you were to take a look at the numbers Matt does rank among the top in the NFL. But very few accross the country sees this up to this point in part because the Texans have not made the playoffs yet. They have now had their very first winning season in franchise history and I am hoping they take that and their Probowlers and exspand upon on it. Having played in the Probowl helps young players work harder to become even better and I think it will. Next season every one of us is exspecting the very first playoff birth ever for the team in a due or die year for Gary. That along with the Probowl last night should help out the cause for more coverage in a huge manner around the nation IMO. AJ is the number one wideout in the NFL today hands down so that debate should end already because the stats and game last night are there to prove it IMO. It's isn't just about playoff games not to to take anything away from Larry but that's the truth. Anyway, the offseason is long and this is just food for thought so have at it.

Joe Texan

Inducted 04
Gary we need to win we do not need no stinking love from the Biassed media.
Just Win and we will be :turtle: in the streets

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Hardcore football fans know we have a good passing attack, we just don't win a lot of games to show for it. I think Schaub winning the MVP will cause some national sports writers that didn't use to give us a chance to perhaps give us a bit more in their predictions for next year. Maybe.

But it is nice to see some national attention on the Texans that is positive for a change, so yeah, I like it. :)

Tailgate

Fall of Hame
This is a step in the right direction. Our team is simply fun to watch. We have primo talent on both sides of the ball. We were only out of 1 whole game this season. It will ramp things up imo..... but it still boils down to winning games.

TexCanada

All Pro
Having media attention is massively overrated and I don't know why so many people are concerned about it. Its all about winning games, not how much time the media allocates to the Texans for highlights.

gary

Hall of Fame
Having media attention is massively overrated and I don't know why so many people are concerned about it. Its all about winning games, not how much time the media allocates to the Texans for highlights.
Just saying they do deserve it is all.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Gary we need to win we do not need no stinking love from the Biassed media.
Just Win and we will be :turtle: in the streets
Gotta agree here.

I couldn't care less what the media or anybody else thinks, all I want is a winning football team.

As long as we're not on the news every day with guys like Chad 85, or TO or the like, then that's fine by me.

Was it nice to see Texans represent last night? Sure. But it was a meaningless going through the motions game that doesn't mean anything.

Get to where those 2 teams will be next week. That's what matters.

Mailman

Pwned by Hakeem
It's gotta mean something when a Houston quarterback wins the MVP honors of this meaningless game. There have been many of these meaningless, go-through-the-motions games since the merger, but no Houston player has won the honor since Billy White Shoes Johnson in 1976.

:texflag:

gary

Hall of Fame
It's gotta mean something when a Houston quarterback wins the MVP honors of this meaningless game. There have been many of these meaningless, go-through-the-motions games since the merger, but no Houston player has won the honor since Billy White Shoes Johnson in 1976.

:texflag:
Right, I put a good amount of thought into my post and I just think it's too much Brady or Manning and there comes a point when more than those two should be talked about. Not just Matt but others as well IMO.

TexCanada

All Pro
Right, I put a good amount of thought into my post and I just think it's too much Brady or Manning and there comes a point when more than those two should be talked about. Not just Matt but others as well IMO.
There is definitely way too much attention paid to a few select guys, like Brady, Manning and Young, but that comes with added pressure as well. I don't mind Schaub quietly in the background putting together seasons like he did this year. I do agree with you though.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
It's gotta mean something when a Houston quarterback wins the MVP honors of this meaningless game.

OK, then, what does it mean? I haven't heard anybody talking about the Pro-Bowl. Not on the radio, Sportscenter, not with co-workers, friends, nobody.

Everyone thinks the game is a joke, so what exactly does it mean for Schaub, hell, for anybody to win an MVP award in that joke of a game?

Yeah, it's nice for us to see that Texan logo on screen in a national scene 'cause those are our guys, but other than that, nobody cares.

Who was the MVP in last year's Pro-Bowl?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
OK, then, what does it mean? I haven't heard anybody talking about the Pro-Bowl. Not on the radio, Sportscenter, not with co-workers, friends, nobody.

Everyone thinks the game is a joke, so what exactly does it mean for Schaub, hell, for anybody to win an MVP award in that joke of a game?

Yeah, it's nice for us to see that Texan logo on screen in a national scene 'cause those are our guys, but other than that, nobody cares.

Larry Fitzgerald

Mannymanuel99

TheBestAtWatIdo
Just saying they do deserve it is all.
Deserve it for what? I am a Texans fan, but if your not a premiere franchise or recent winner, Have compelling personalities, or an outspoken owner, YOU GET NO ATTENTION FROM THE NATIONAL MEDIA!!!!!!!!!. And stop putting so much stock in the PRO BOWL. They wasn't even playing defense. Even Schaub knows it feels great to throw with a pro bowl o-line w/ a D that's not blitzing, but Do it Here. At HOME!!!! In Front Of Your Fans When The Outcome Is A W, Then We Will Get That Love. Til Then, We MUST WORK FOR IT.

Mailman

Pwned by Hakeem

Aside from the extended camera time Matt Schaub got on the NFL Network? I'd argue that players across the league pay attention to the Pro Bowl, so Schaub's status as the MVP only punctuates the level of talent on the Texans roster, thereby increasing Houston's attractiveness as a destination for coveted free agents.

Nobody is saying the game means anything. It doesn't. However, Schaub's award is free pub for himself and the franchise.

WWJD

Hall of Fame
What attracts free agents to teams is not what Matt offers but rather what Mr. McNair offers and that would be money.

Grams

Veteran
Money does talk, but would you rather have a little more money and play in Detroit or maybe a little less money and play in Houston?

Anything that puts out team in a good light helps attract the kind of FA players we would want - just my opinion.

Mailman

Pwned by Hakeem
What attracts free agents to teams is not what Matt offers but rather what Mr. McNair offers and that would be money.
Well, yes, but when there are multiple teams competing for your services, salary is not the only consideration.

The Texans have never been able to draw the interest of the brand name FAs because the franchise was thought of as a complete joke. Schaub's stellar play is a big reason that perception has changed.

WWJD

Hall of Fame
Well, yes, but when there are multiple teams competing for your services, salary is not the only consideration.

The Texans have never been able to draw the interest of the brand name FAs because the franchise was thought of as a complete joke. Schaub's stellar play is a big reason that perception has changed.
I'm far more cynical than you apparently about pro athletes. I don't think it means much who plays on the team. Never have thought that.

Mailman

Pwned by Hakeem
I'm far more cynical than you apparently about pro athletes. I don't think it means much who plays on the team. Never have thought that.
So you think LeBron will just sign with the highest bidder no matter what? Come on.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Agree with Mailman. While I admit there are some "Leon's" out there; "yeah, there ain't no we either."

Clip: Bud Ad: Leon Interview

I beleive that many athletes factor in many considerations besides money. They look at the organization, facilities, and core groups of players etc.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
So you think LeBron will just sign with the highest bidder no matter what? Come on.
Not to answer for my bud WWJD but I think her point was that Matt winning PB MVP isn't influencing anyone and when it comes to agents, cap and teams, money rules. It does in many cases. Rodgers looked awesome all season and in the PB but I doubt guys will take a pay cut to play for the Pack.

silvrhand

All Pro
The pro bowl was a joke, it didn't even look like some of the guys were trying.. Pointless game at this point in the NFL season, until they find a way to get some incentive into the game.

Now if you put who wins the probowl gets to host the superbowl.. watch out..

El Tejano

Hall of Fame

And because of Matt even being a QB in the Pro Bowl is what made a reporter ask Brandon Marshall if Houston would be a choice for him if he became a free agent.

Do you think that if this dude becomes a free agent, he isn't going to remember Houston because Matt threw him and Andre a TD in the Pro Bowl game? No. It's going to cause him to at least look at it and then he's going to see that even with an AllPro receiver like Andre Johnson, Matt distributes the ball very well to all his receivers and tight ends.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
And because of Matt even being a QB in the Pro Bowl is what made a reporter ask Brandon Marshall if Houston would be a choice for him if he became a free agent.

Do you think that if this dude becomes a free agent, he isn't going to remember Houston because Matt threw him and Andre a TD in the Pro Bowl game? No. It's going to cause him to at least look at it and then he's going to see that even with an AllPro receiver like Andre Johnson, Matt distributes the ball very well to all his receivers and tight ends.
Honestly, it was the PB, with limited defense. Brandon Marshall isn't doing a double take because Schaub threw him the ball. Orton targeted him 28 times in one game vs the Colts and he set a game record. Marshall is "TO light" and he is going where he will get balls and where he can get cash. These guys have a limited window in the NFL. A contract that can set their family is important.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I'm not saying it's going to make him come here but he's going to consider it. Even if just for a second.

WWJD

Hall of Fame
Whichever side wins the probowl the previous year gets to host the superbowl, I'm not a fan of the superbowl being place in random cities that have to bid for it.

It comes down to money, which discounts a lot of cities.
That would not work. The host SB city starts preparation and planning for the SB's years in advance.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
There are two different scenarios.

#1 - Team A offers a lot more money than Team B. Yeah money is usually going to win out.

#2 - Team A offers similar money to Team B. Now other factors come in. If for example you are talking to a WR and A has Schaub and B has JaMarcus Russell you can bet the WR is going to think about it.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Whichever side wins the probowl the previous year gets to host the superbowl, I'm not a fan of the superbowl being place in random cities that have to bid for it.

It comes down to money, which discounts a lot of cities.
The SuperBowl has to be planned in advance with all the talent bookings and stuff. That's why football championships have to be at a nutueral site. It wouldn't work not knowing who was going to be playing in the Super Bowl. Other sports don't do a nuetral site because their championship is done in a series so since they are playing more than one game they can switch the games to the participating cities.