Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-01-2010   #1
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Labor Woes

You called it SH

Source

Quote:
MIAMI -- The NFL will be in full glory this week. A marvelous Super Bowl matchup between the Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints is days away.

Soon after the confetti flitters about Sun Life Stadium and the Lombardi Trophy is hoisted triumphantly, football's showcase event will give way to uncertainties and insecurities about an imminent labor clash, one that will have significant ramifications on the 2010 season, could lead to a 2011 lockout and might even scuttle an entire season.

You've ignored the NFL labor situation, hoping it would fix itself before you invested one minute of your life, one ounce of worry.

"I'll just watch football," you thought. "I'll concentrate on the season, the stars, the X's and O's. I'll carry on as though the NFL is simply in the greatest league in the world, a game, a diversion from real-world issues -- not an industry."

Time to start paying attention to the big business, folks.

Big trouble is near.

Collective bargaining agreements, economics, uncapped seasons and revenue haggling aren't nearly as entertaining as game highlights and chalk talk.

But if you want to follow along with what could evolve into the most important off-field storyline in recent sports history, you'll need to learn the issues. (The NFL, league and owners are synonymous. So are the NFL Players Association, the union and the players.)
Old 02-01-2010   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Labor Woes

I wonder how many teams/owners would go bankrupt if there was a lockout... or how many owner's would be forced to sell their team. Or how much revenue the cities will lose because of this. Almost seems like a "too big to fail" sort of thing.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #3
DeMarCushPoll
UDFA

Rep Power: 39 DeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respectedDeMarCushPoll is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully, the two sides will come together and get a deal done before it comes to a lock out in 2011. If not well I guess we'll all have to turn our attention to Curling or something.

Bill Shankly
DeMarCushPoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I imagine players not receiving a paycheck for a year will be much more devestated by a lockout. I don't think the owners would do it unless they knew they could weather a year without.
Old 02-01-2010   #5
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be just our luck as Houston Fans for a strike/lock out to be held right about the time some of our best guys are in thier prime and ready to make a deep play off run.

Why oh why do the Football Gods torture us so? We are good people that love our football in the Great State of Texas, and City of Houston. Can't the Football Gods go after other city's like Seattle for instance. The Football God's let them have a Super Bowl berth and this team can't even come up with thier own material, they had to rip it off from the Aggies, come 12th man seriously...... Go after then for goodness sakes.

Must we sacrifice something in order to get the blessing of the Football Gods for good fortune and football prosperity? I would gladly sacrifice Bud Adams at Reliant Stadium at the 50 Yard Line!!!!!

But I digress, oh look a squirrel..............
Old 02-01-2010   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I wonder how many teams/owners would go bankrupt if there was a lockout... or how many owner's would be forced to sell their team. Or how much revenue the cities will lose because of this. Almost seems like a "too big to fail" sort of thing.

As I understand it, the TV and DirecTV revenue streams would still come to the owners even if there was a lockout.

Basically, TV would be bankrolling the lockout.

And what makes it particularly hard on players is the very short nature of the careers in the NFL. Missing time for them means missing a large part of their potential earning power.
Old 02-01-2010   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I just cant come to believe that there will be a lockout. There is just no way imo. Teams are going to use this limbo to basically unload all their bad contracts and to try and get healthy before an agreement is reached.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2010   #8
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Time to fire up the XFL again.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #9
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
As I understand it, the TV and DirecTV revenue streams would still come to the owners even if there was a lockout.

Basically, TV would be bankrolling the lockout.

And what makes it particularly hard on players is the very short nature of the careers in the NFL. Missing time for them means missing a large part of their potential earning power.

I don't have a link to the article, but on PFT a while back they reported that the owners will make 4 billion dollars in the year of the lockout, even if there are no games played, from t.v. deals that are guarunteed. The catch is that if there are no games played, the following year the NFL has to pay the stations back.

However, that is still much more than the players association can bear to go up against, they're really in a lose-lose situation right now.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #10
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Well, on a scale from 1-10 with a 10 being definte, one thinks it's a 14.

Quote:
The question to DeMaurice Smith was simple, coming from Cincinnati receiver Chad Ochocinco, asking how serious he viewed the possibility of football not being played in 2011. Smith did not hesitate. “On a scale of 1 to 10,” Smith said Thursday, “it’s a 14.”....

...“I keep coming back to an economic model in America that is unparalleled,” said Smith, who often repeated phrases for emphasis. “And that makes it incredibly difficult to then come to players and say, on average, each of you needs to take a $340,000 pay cut to save the National Football League. Tough sell. Tough sell.”...

...“I really and truly in my heart believe we’ll get a deal done,” NFLPA president Kevin Mawae said. “But there’s going to have to be some give and some take and not just taking from one side all the way.”....
I'm not sure which side is being difficult, but when I hear stuff like this...

Quote:
For now, some players say they’re bracing for issues. Mawae said he even has recommended players save 25 percent of their salary next season “in the event of a lockout,” though he noted “we can’t make all 1,900 players save their money.”

“We’ve told them, `Don’t go out and buy a new boat. Don’t go out and buy a new car. Pay off whatever debts you have,’ ” said Jeff Saturday of the Indianapolis Colts. “These are things we’ve been learning from history.”
It kinda skews me (and yeah, I know it's all relative - but still).
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

The players have much more to lose from a lockout, IMO.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
The players have much more to lose from a lockout, IMO.
I can definitely agree with that. Aren't the owners going to get paid even if there's no 011 season? Or did I read that incorrectly?

*edit* I found this:

Quote:
The NFL’s new television rights agreement with DirecTV will pay them $1 billion per year from 2011 through 2014.

Even if games are not played in 2011, the NFL’s deal with DirecTV calls for the league to be paid the billion-dollar rights fee. That’s approximately $31 million per team to tide them over through a lockout. The NFL has debt limits of $120 million per team.

There is no reason to believe that the NFL players will be any more successful at holding out than their NBA bretheren. NFL careers are quite short. The league is filled with players in their first through fifth years. The fifth round draft choice doesn’t see a big payday until probably his fourth or fifth season. Until then, he’s not exactly struggling, but he also doesn’t have a $30 million guaranteed contract.

If the NFL locks out the players, the NFL will win.
http://newsburglar.com/2009/06/03/wi...ckout-in-2011/

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read