Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-01-2010   #1
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Apology to Matt Schaub

I had no faith in you coming into 2009. I thought you were at best a very good backup, who couldn't play out a full season and would end up being the biggest contributor to any woe's on offense. With our backups being what they were, saw the potential for a dismal year. I was dead wrong!

You rocked the house all season long! Without you, Houston would have struggled to be average at best. I have truly become a fan and hope you have a long career as our perennial pro-bowl quarterback.
Old 02-01-2010   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101723 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Apology to Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
I had no faith in you coming into 2009. I thought you were at best a very good backup, who couldn't play out a full season and would end up being the biggest contributor to any woe's on offense. With our backups being what they were, saw the potential for a dismal year. I was dead wrong!

You rocked the house all season long! Without you, Houston would have struggled to be average at best. I have truly become a fan and hope you have a long career as our perennial pro-bowl quarterback.

I was about 50/50 on the guy but was more worried about him holding up all season than anything. I'll give Matty boy a thanks as well though. I thought he had a great season and never understood why he got criticized a lot in here throughout the season.

What impressed me the most about Schaub this year though is that how he was able to take the Texans down the field a few times at the end of games. It didn't get noticed much, because a few of those games were the Chris Brown failures and the missed kicks by the other Brown. Schaub did his part though.

Look forward to seeing what he can do next season.

Props to you for admitting that you were wrong as well. At least it's something that you can feel happy to be wrong about.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

on the bandwagon, off the bandwagon, on the bandwagon, off the bandwagon guess that's life of message boards
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 258627 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a lot of us were wrong about Schaub, which isn't a surprise. We traded two 2nd round draft choices for someone elses backup QB, and he was injured a lot his first two seasons. I won't apologize for my misgivings about him, but I will certainly admit I was wrong.

Really wrong. LOL. But in situations like this one, it's nice to be wrong.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251514 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, one season does not a trend make. I think the NFL is (from a players perspective) all about proving yourself and then next year proving yourself all over again (repeat until you retire) so I want to see him build on this and add to it. Healthy though he did very well. Some brain fart decisions (pick 6) here and there but he did very well overall.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

My apology to Matt Schaub is that we didn't trade for him sooner.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #7
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Good for you for eating crow. I've done it on several occasions over the Mario/Reggie thing. On Matt, I was actually a fan of his when he was still in Atlanta (Yes, I am also a Falcons fan. Look it up.), so I liked the trade from day one.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2010   #8
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I was right about Schaub, but I've been wrong about other stuff (DC), so I'll just keep my piehole shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2010   #9
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was just hopeful he could stay healthy all year and he took a beating and still managed a perfect attendance record. Boy, what a mess if he'd gone down early. I wasn't terribly excited about our chances with him as the season began but looking at the 9-7 record posted I think there was plenty of reasons for that. Schaub had more to do with the nine wins than he did with the losses, IMO. As for the criticism on this board I think that had a lot to do with his impeccably bad timing of his mistakes.
Old 02-01-2010   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You rocked the house all season long! Without you, Houston would have struggled to be average at best. I have truly become a fan and hope you have a long career as our perennial ALL-PRO quarterback.
Fixed that for you - Pro Bowl dont mean much these days ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #11
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

I fully admit that I owe Matt Schaub an apology.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #12
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 27237 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

My hat is off to all of those that admit when they are wrong. It takes a Big Message Board Poster to admit it.
Old 02-01-2010   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

It's really a shame they gave up two 2nd round picks, and swapped their first round picks for Shaub, as opposed to just giving up the 1st round pick alone for him. Instead we got 1 DT - Okoye, pick #10 overall - instead of two 2nd rounders in the top 50 picks...

Not that I'm certain the Falcons would have gone for it, but it would probably be more value to the Falcons that way. I think if you're willing to go out and grab a backup QB to make him your franchise QB, you better be certain enough to give up a 1st round pick for him.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #14
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

I never doubted him because I was always a big believer in the value of those three years he had in Atlanta. Starting games is essential to a quarterback's development, but I think many fans are too quick to dismiss the important foundation work that gets done behind the scenes. Quarterbacks with the physical tools to be successful in the NFL learn just as much on the practice field and the film room as they do on the Sunday gridiron.

I remember well the criticisms many NFL fans and media experts directed at the Texans when they traded for Schaub. So many geniuses were laughing at the price the organization paid to obtain his rights with the typical braying about the value of that additional second round pick. The argument was familiar to all of us--"omg the Texans offensive line sucks, what are they doing wasting picks on a quarterback?!?!?! And who the hell is Matt Schaub, what has he ever done?"

My response was always the same--what he lacks in game experience he makes up for in three years of practices and training camps. The work he put in likely played a big part in the team's decision to take the risk of trading for him. Why gamble on a rookie qb when you can get a talented young guy who's been studying the game from the sideline?

Many draftniks were critical of the front office for supposedly wasting valuable picks on Schaub instead of using those picks to draft Brady Quinn instead and build the o-line. They were critical of the contract Schaub received and said the Texans were crazy to offer that kind of money to an unproven, third-round draft pick who played backup to Michael Vick. They were wrong.

I'd be lying if I said I thought Schaub would be this good, but I expected him to be an above-average quarterback who could immediately produce for the offense. From the first week of the 2007 season when he went deep to AJ, I knew we had a real NFL quarterback.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #15
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 31109 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:

We were 9-7, that qualifies as above average season? I'm confused?
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #16
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
we were 9-7, that qualifies as above average season? I'm confused?
yes it does!
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
8 - 8 = Average
9 - 7 = Above the average (if only slightly)
Old 02-01-2010   #18
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

With an apology to matt well deserved, How Good does everyone think he will become?
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 258627 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
9-7 is above average, barely, but it is. 8-8 is average. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. The Texans are a team that no one in the league can simply dismiss. Progress has been slow, but it has been progress.

Like we've been saying for years now, next year will be the year! LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
My hat is off to all of those that admit when they are wrong. It takes a Big Message Board Poster to admit it.
Yeah right!

If all you (clears throat) "crow-eaters" weren't so damn arrogantly adamant that your original views be expressed as facts rather than opinions . . . then just saying, "Well, I eat crow" might fly.

But that's not what's happening.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read