Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What would you sign Dunta for if you were Rick Smith?
League Minimum 0 0%
Anything under $2 million per year 11 13.58%
Around $3 million or so 43 53.09%
$5 million or more 14 17.28%
See ya #23, wouldn't have you on the team, if you paid Bob McNair!!! 13 16.05%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2010   #1
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What is Dunta worth?

So during the season I was bashing the hell out of Dunta. After the hold out, he needed to play at a high level to even remotely stay in my good graces. (Not that he gives a crap, he made $10 mil last year!!!) I'll be honest DR probably would have needed 8 picks this year to shut me up.

Although I'm still not exactly pleased with him, as all players do he has some value to the team. If, and that's if he comes back for a reasonable salary and does his best, regardless of what that is, I would forgive him. (Once again I don't think he really cares about my opinion.) Everyone makes mistakes, and he seems to have been humbled, which I can respect.

My other conditions for forgiveness would be that he respect what ever the team does with him, whether he starts, is a back up, or is the nickel corner, NO WHINNING PERIOD.

So if he plays nice, does a decent job, and signs for say $3 mil a year (Like maybe a 4 year deal, average of $3 mil with incentives.) I wouldn't complain about seeing him in Deep Steel Blue, Battle Red, and Liberty White.

I don't see him doing this, even though he seems to be humbled, I would imagine he will go with the money over loyalty regardless of what he says. Obviousley I have no way of knowing, but although I think it's obvious he knows he's not a $10,000,000 CB, I think he sees himself as a $7 million dollar type talent. So I just can't imagine anything bieng hammered out.

What say you, what would you sign DR for?????
Old 01-31-2010   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84758 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is Dunta worth?

I do not want to pay him like a #1 corner, because he is not a legit NFL #1 corner.......however that is what he's going to want to be paid as. It's a catch 22. Do we overpay for a veteran corner (drastically overpay) or do we move on with a rookie?

I don't like the idea of moving on with a rookie corner when so much is on the line next year, but I hate the idea of overpaying for a overrated corner even more. So I say if this guy wants to be paid like a top corner then the Texans need to just move on.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #3
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

$7+ million is what above average corners have been signing for the last 2 years. It's just an expensive position right now, and unless you want to start a couple of bums or roll the dice on rookies you're going to pay through the nose. That's just the way it is.

Reeves was horrible in Dallass and still got $4 mil per year from us. D-Rob will most likely get the $7-8 mil a year contract he wants somewhere.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #4
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Play isnt that good and we need Strong Play from our secondary we play colts twice cut him and lets move on
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't much care for Dunta either, but he's good enough to be a starting corner in the Texans secondary and good enough to probably start on some NFL teams.

I've said this before and will say it again, until we replace him with someone better we need him. But he ain't worth what he's getting paid this year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I see no sixth option. It should read "Ham Sammich".

I'd pick that one.
Hervoyel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #7
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 4784 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

What's Dunta worth? Probably the lint thats in my pocket. Haha couldn't resist. Anyways, idc what happens but Quinn should be paid more than Dunta
Old 01-31-2010   #8
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't see how this FO and coaching staff are going to let him walk and rely on an unproven CB or two going into a season with so much on the line. I also believe the FO values Dunta and what he brings to the table more than the fans. I doubt they value him as highly as he values himself. If he signs a long term deal with us I hope its reasonable but I'm quite positive it would be for significantly more than the fans want to see. I won't be surprised to see him franchised again.
Old 01-31-2010   #9
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Dunta is worth top # 2 CB money, because that's what he is...

However, I think the Texans will offer him another Gamble-esque contract and he'll gladly take it because he has proven to himself that he does not deserve that type of money. Which is why he says he'd be fine stealing from Mcnair by getting franchise tagged again.
Old 01-31-2010   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted "around 3 Million or so". He's not a great corner. He's a decent corner. That's what you would pay a guy that brings what he does or at least what you should pay value wise. If the Texans signed him to a contract paying 3 Mill or so a year I'd be fine with that.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #11
Big Poundcake
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 Big Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden cover

I just hope the Texans resign him.
Big Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #12
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm wondering if he'll improve any compared to what he did last year. He was out of football for a while after what can only be called severe injury.
Old 01-31-2010   #13
ColdTexan17
Hall of Fame

I agree, he needed to put up or shut up. He was fair on the run but I was not impressed with his pass defense. I like the quinn kid alot I think he can step in as a starter but him and reeves staring still worries me. But all this talk about building a better defense, what if we just add to our offense and make it even more productive. We could give up more points if we scored more.
ColdTexan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I'm wondering if he'll improve any compared to what he did last year. He was out of football for a while after what can only be called severe injury.
Near the end of the season, he started to step up in run support, & making those tackles he used to make all the time. I believe if he had been given a long term contract early in the year, he would have stepped it up, & improved his game all year long. As it was, I think he was worried about getting hurt, with out a long term deal.

That being said, I've never thought of him as a cover corner. & though he got beat at times, he played pretty well all season long. I still wouldn't offer him top corner money, I don't know that I would have started him all year like the Texans did, so I don't know what's going on there.

Yes, I believe Reeves can play as well as Dunta did this year, so I wouldn't feel too bad if the Texans let Dunta walk, & sign a true starter in the first... Or, let him walk, and bring in a play making FS... moving Reeves up to starter.

I think Glover Quinn is going to be very good in this league, but we've seen that before on this team. So we'll see.
Old 01-31-2010   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

He's done here.

Scrap the sentimental journey stuff already.

Thanks for the memories. Most of which were good, and a small amount of which were not (the holdout and the crying over it).

You can play nickel for us if you're interested.
Old 01-31-2010   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I see no sixth option. It should read "Ham Sammich".

I'd pick that one.
Agreed. You and Lucky are my favorite moderators, btw.
Old 02-01-2010   #17
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

what's Reeves getting?

I'd give him that.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #18
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Pay Me Rick embarrassed to franchise last season

League Minimum not a penny more
Old 02-01-2010   #19
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Kick in the tenders.
Old 02-01-2010   #20
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a feeling that he truly would like an opportunity to play elsewhere, to which I'd be content to see... preferably somewhere in our division so we can take advantage of him.

I have given up on him being a value to this team that compares to what he once was. I'd much rather see him go, vs. become more of a distraction between now and next September, only to play at the decent level of play he showed in 2009.

His upside is by far shadowed by his downside. He's proven to be an "I" type player, which I feel is more detrimental than any of the good you saw this past year, thus, expendable commodity.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read