Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-30-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ:Texans draft watch: Guard Mike Iupati

Quote:
Continuing our draft watch series, we'll now take a look at one of the highest ranking offensive guards to come along in while, Idaho's Mike Iupati.

The Texans primary needs entering the 2010 draft are at running back, free safety, interior offensive lineman, defensive tackle and cornerback assuming Dunta Robinson leaves in free agency

Iupati (pronounced ee-you-PAH-tee) would fill a huge need in the Texans interior offensive line. With Chester Pitts entering his ninth season and coming off a serious knee injury (and due to become a free agent on March 5) and Mike Brisiel coming off a serious foot injury, the Texans could use some reinforcement in the middle.

Kasey Studdard and Chris White filled in capably in Pitts and Brisiel's absence but are not ideal long term solutions. Antoine Caldwell can play both center and guard but has been slow to develop. Center Chris Myers would certainly benefit from having this big mauler next to him - as would Matt Schaub and the Texans non-existent running game. Iupati didn't give up a sack in 2009.

Iupati has a combination of size, strength and agility that makes offensive line coaches drool. He has no trouble getting to the second level which is key in a zone scheme. Some project Iupati at right tackle because of his versatility and long arms. At a Senior Bowl media event, Iupati said jokingly that he wouldn't mind moving outside since tackles 'make more money.'
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...nel-rss-Sports
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #2
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ:Texans draft watch: Guard Mike Iupati

I didn't get to watch any of the Senior Bowl practices so Iupati may have shown more then, but he stunk up the place in the actual game. Literally, Gino Atkins and Dan Williams used and abused him. Given the limited amount I've seen, I'd pass.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

the next coming of Todd Wade, but with cool Hawaiian hair.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Boy, you really know how to take the luster off a guy!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #5
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27347 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn`t think he looked that bad. Of course he still gotta learn what to do with his hands, but his footwork has been great. I´m pretty sure we will see him in the Pro Bowl one day, and I wouldn`t mind him wearing a Texans helmet while doing so.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I didn`t think he looked that bad. Of course he still gotta learn what to do with his hands, but his footwork has been great. I´m pretty sure we will see him in the Pro Bowl one day, and I wouldn`t mind him wearing a Texans helmet while doing so.
How can you watch him in that game and then type this sentence. "I didn't think he looked that bad." LOL.

His feet were awful at times, he acted like he couldn't move when going against the smaller but faster Gino Atkins (which is probably why you have a athletic 6-5 325 pound lineman being stuck at OG and not out at tackle despite playing at a small school). He also didn't know how to play with any leverage at all. All of this without even getting into his hand work, which you already mentioned. He made one noticeable good play today on Blount's TD run and even that play was borderline holding.

I'm jumping off this guy's bandwagon so fast I'm breaking ankles. What Vinny typed was one of the funniest yet one of the most spot on descriptions I've heard about any player.

Quote:
Funny, sad, and true all at the same time.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #7
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I couldn't agree with you more! He was used and abused today! I will pass as well!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2010   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
his feet were pitiful. The reason he was doing so much holding (he should have been called for holding on just about every play) was due to his lack of footwork. For a guy with such long arms he let everyone into his body...he's another, "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".

Old 01-30-2010   #9
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

This reminds me of the folks who were screaming for Schaub to be cut after the Jets game.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Iupati looked pretty bad against Dan Williams. I felt bad for him on a couple of plays. I still think he will be a good guard in the league with some coaching, but might have slipped from a top 20 pick to maybe slipping out of the first 40 picks.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
This reminds me of the folks who were screaming for Schaub to be cut after the Jets game.
Umm...who was saying that?

Schaub already proved he could play at a high level way before that game and this year. Iupati looked awful...alot worse than Schaub ever looked in that Jets game.
Old 01-31-2010   #12
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Umm...who was saying that?
Eriadoc, Marcus, and euro-texan, among others wanted Schaub benched(not cut, I was exaggerating).

Quote:
Schaub already proved he could play at a high level way before that game and this year. Iupati looked awful...alot worse than Schaub ever looked in that Jets game.
Iupati was dominant for most of the last 2 seasons, and all of this week. He had a bad game and suddenly he's a terrible player. That makes absolutely zero sense.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Eriadoc, Marcus, and euro-texan, among others wanted Schaub benched(not cut, I was exaggerating).
Well, that's just stupid...no argument there.

Quote:
Iupati was dominant for most of the last 2 seasons, and all of this week. He had a bad game and suddenly he's a terrible player. That makes absolutely zero sense.
He played at a small school..in the WAC, really how often did this guy go up against a elite college DT?

And it wasn't just that he "had a bad game". The guy had a bad game in just about every facet that a offensive lineman could have a bad game in. He looked lost. It's one thing to get beat on a couple of plays, but there wasn't many battles that he won handedly out there. (The guy got moved to the other guard position and was beaten/outplayed by MULTIPLE players), which is alarming for a guy who's supposed to be "the best guard prospect IN YEARS". To say "he had a bad game" is understatement.

I also don't really care what he did in practice, I care what players do when the bullets are flying. There are a ton of "practice guys" who turn heads and then when they get on a field with other elite players their pants fall down. That's what happened to Iupati today.

Sorry, it is what it is. The guy downright looked like he didn't belong out there and if he looked like that out there against other top college players, it's scary to think what this guy could look like on Sundays.

I do not want him with our first round pick.
Old 01-31-2010   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He'll still be at worst a very good player in the NFL. People are blowing a bad day out of porportion. The guy has allpro potential, he just needs to be coached up. If he could come in and dominate like people were expecting him to do he would be a top 10 pick easy. Not you Goatcheese but some people need to realize where he came from.
Old 01-31-2010   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Blowing a bad day out of proportion and blowing a good day out of proportion, both happen all the time.

He was exposed, and it certainly did not help him. He appears to be more of a project than earn the starting position in his first year type guy. What I like is that he will certainly be put under the microscope by our staff......well at least I can hope they will.
Old 01-31-2010   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 145631 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

On the flip side, some of thos DTs looked pretty darn good. Houston, Atkins, Williams. I wouldn't mind seeing the Texans latch on to one of them on draft day...er, draft day(s).

Draft over 3 days? That's gonna be weird.
Old 01-31-2010   #17
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Well, that's just stupid...no argument there.

He played at a small school..in the WAC, really how often did this guy go up against a elite college DT?

And it wasn't just that he "had a bad game". The guy had a bad game in just about every facet that a offensive lineman could have a bad game in. He looked lost. It's one thing to get beat on a couple of plays, but there wasn't many battles that he won handedly out there. (The guy got moved to the other guard position and was beaten/outplayed by MULTIPLE players), which is alarming for a guy who's supposed to be "the best guard prospect IN YEARS". To say "he had a bad game" is understatement.

I also don't really care what he did in practice, I care what players do when the bullets are flying. There are a ton of "practice guys" who turn heads and then when they get on a field with other elite players their pants fall down. That's what happened to Iupati today.

Sorry, it is what it is. The guy downright looked like he didn't belong out there and if he looked like that out there against other top college players, it's scary to think what this guy could look like on Sundays.

I do not want him with our first round pick.
Carr looked awsome in practice, for a point of refrence.
Old 01-31-2010   #18
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
+1

Iupati could've certainly showed better than he did, but his performance wasn't nearly as dismal as it's been described in this thread.

Jeez, talk about overreacting....
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Blowing a bad day out of proportion and blowing a good day out of proportion, both happen all the time.

He was exposed, and it certainly did not help him. He appears to be more of a project than earn the starting position in his first year type guy. What I like is that he will certainly be put under the microscope by our staff......well at least I can hope they will.
he's only going to see top talent in the NFL (here is where I usually insert my 0k0ye jokes but I digress...) and he was shockingly bad in technique when faced with 'top talent' -and all that reaching and holding was a sign he was overwhelmed. No way he could play tackle in the NFL with those feet and he doesn't play with enough leverage to be elite as a G in the NFL based on what I saw in the Sr Bowl. I hope we don't pick this stiff. He may look good in shorts and is athletic enough in drills, but he was shockingly awful in the game. It's been a while since I've seen a guy reach that much and try to grab DL's on the fly. In open space or once guys got a step on him laterally, he was just lost like Todd Wade. Very Herman Munster like lunging, reaching and grabbing instead of moving thy feets and punching. He may be a project but he isn't worth risking an early pick based on what I saw. I think the book on him is that he is a LG only...and will be a project with elite size....you know, like Todd Wade was.

Old 01-31-2010   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 145631 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This was likely the first opportunity anyone here has to actually see the guy play. Seriously, how much Idaho football have you (or anyone else) seen? According to the draftniks, Iupati is a great prospect. Sometimes, they are right. Sometimes, they're just flat out wrong.

Just from what I saw, Iupati looked like a player who was thinking, rather than reacting. The game looked too fast for him. This was a new system, and he had a week to absorb new techniques. And he has probably never seen the caliber of DTs he faced this week. So, I won't suggest that he can't become a player in the NFL. He definitely looks the part. But it's obvious to me that Iupati will require a lot of NFL coaching. 1st round picks are generally expected to produce straight out of the box. Iupati doesn't look like that type of player.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read