Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-30-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Miami Dolphins' stadium picks up new name

Quote:
MIAMI The Pro Bowl and the Super Bowl will be played over the next couple of Sundays in South Florida. Exactly where that's causing a little confusion.

To some fans, the building that's hosting both games will always be Joe Robbie Stadium. But the NFL's Web site called it Dolphin Stadium earlier this week. And its official name, as of last week, is Sun Life Stadium. Even some of the Pro Bowlers were surprised to hear that.

Toronto-based Sun Life Financial is paying at least $4 million a year for a five-year naming rights agreement to the stadium where the Miami Dolphins and Florida Marlins play.

"We hope this is the last name that will ever be on the stadium," said Priscilla Brown, senior vice president and head of U.S. marketing for Sun Life, a company that provides financial services to 20 million customers in 25 countries but wants to raise its U.S. profile.

Just how many name changes this makes depends a bit on how you count.

The stadium opened in 1987 as Joe Robbie Stadium, honoring the Dolphins' founding owner. It has also been Pro Player Park, Pro Player Stadium, Dolphins Stadium, Dolphin Stadium and Land Shark Stadium.

Asked to name the stadium where they were playing this weekend, some of the Pro Bowlers practicing Thursday didn't know.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=3
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #2
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 39107 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Miami Dolphins' stadium picks up new name

I call it the big octagon with clover leaf ears
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate naming rights with a passion. The day that crap started professional sports (and their college-professional equivilents) lost something. It ticks me off so much that I swear if I'd had the kind of money necessary to do it I'd have tried to buy "lifetime of the structure" naming rights to the Astros park and then called it "The Ballpark at Union Station" and then done something similar with Reliant Stadium (I'm kind of partial to "Phillips Stadium" in honor of Bum).
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #4
JPPT1974
Halloween 14

Rep Power: 1472 JPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respected

But you do need naming rights in order to pay for the stadium, like it or not.
Old 02-01-2010   #5
gwallaia

Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I hate naming rights with a passion. The day that crap started professional sports (and their college-professional equivilents) lost something. It ticks me off so much that I swear if I'd had the kind of money necessary to do it I'd have tried to buy "lifetime of the structure" naming rights to the Astros park and then called it "The Ballpark at Union Station" and then done something similar with Reliant Stadium (I'm kind of partial to "Phillips Stadium" in honor of Bum).
I hate it as well.

One of these days, we will see sponsors prominently displayed on helmets and jerseys.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmm, Sun Life is the one with the commercials about having Florida change their name to the "Sun Life State" from the "Sunshine state", right?
Old 02-01-2010   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
But you do need naming rights in order to pay for the stadium, like it or not.
not at all true
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2010   #8
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81109 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Hmm, Sun Life is the one with the commercials about having Florida change their name to the "Sun Life State" from the "Sunshine state", right?
Actually, its a Canadian invasion of Florida, only this time not by snowbirds.

Sun Life is a major player up here in the insurance industry and has been looking to increase their footprint in the US for a while now - the timing of this move couldn't have been more perfect for them.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I agree completely. I refused to call The Summit by it's changed name (Compaq Center), just like I refuse to call the Astrodome the Reliant Astrodome. It's just goofy.

Although, about the above article, I don't remember the Dolphins' stadium being called "Land Shark Stadium". That's kinda' cool, but only because I'm an old SNL fan...

Old 02-02-2010   #10
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Miami Dolphins' stadium picks up new name

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Actually, its a Canadian invasion of Florida, only this time not by snowbirds.

Sun Life is a major player up here in the insurance industry and has been looking to increase their footprint in the US for a while now - the timing of this move couldn't have been more perfect for them.
When I first heard that, I thought it must be a mistake. But, you're right; this is a smart move.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read