Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-28-2010   #1
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Studdard the starter?

I was reading over McClain's latest chat, and he reiterated a number of times that Pitts won't re-sign and that "Studdard is the starter."
Quote:
[Comment From the hornetthe hornet: ]
John, is chester pitts resigning with the Texans.
Tuesday January 26, 2010 12:02 the hornet

John McClain:
I wish he would, but they like Studdard as the starter. Chester is only 30. I think he'll wait until he's 100 percent and then sign with another team.
Quote:
[Comment From mikemike: ]
is it certqain that pitts will not be resigned?
Tuesday January 26, 2010 12:12 mike

John McClain:
No one will say it but I believe so. He wants to start at LG. Studdard is the starter.
Since he's saying, "they like Studdard as the starter," it sounds like it's something he's hearing from them, which is worrisome if you're Barrett, DM, or another charter member of the Kasey Studdard Fan Club.

Anyway, thought I'd pass on the news for those who hadn't seen it.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #2
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 135 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Studdard the starter?

There is two things they like about Studdard.

1) He is cheap compared to the contract that Pitts will get.
2) He plays nasty
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero the zero View Post
i was reading over mcclain's latest chat, and he reiterated a number of times that pitts won't re-sign and that "studdard is the starter."

since he's saying, "they like studdard as the starter," it sounds like it's something he's hearing from them, which is worrisome if you're barrett, dm, or another charter member of the kasey studdard fan club.

Anyway, thought i'd pass on the news for those who hadn't seen it.

uggggggh!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #4
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I was reading over McClain's latest chat, and he reiterated a number of times that Pitts won't re-sign and that "Studdard is the starter."

Since he's saying, "they like Studdard as the starter," it sounds like it's something he's hearing from them, which is worrisome if you're Barrett, DM, or another charter member of the Kasey Studdard Fan Club.

He goes on to say something like "nobody will say it but, I think...." so I don't know if he's hearing anything or speculating.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah, but he also said (last year pre draft)

Quote:
John McClain: I think that would be great. By the way, they would pick Matthews over Cushing.

Tuesday March 17, 2009 11:31 John McClain
Quote:
John McClain: Because every scout I talk to -- and I don't mean reporters who do mock drafts or rank players -- tells me Matthews is a better prospect.
And responded to this question:
Quote:
Comment From VeEzyVeEzy: ]
1) Brian Cushing 2) William Moore 3) Laurence Sidbury 4) Louis Vasquez 4) Andre Brown -Sound Good To you
with:
Quote:
John McClain: No way on Cushing and Moore
Old 01-28-2010   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he is as athletic as the Texans need from the LG position for the ZBS to thrive. So if they have an option to upgrade via the draft, they go after it & not even worry about Pitts extension.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Nicely done!

I never have put too much stock into what McClain or the rest of the hacks at the Chron. Their opinion isn't any different than what we have around here. Unless there are sources involved with what they have to say, it's nothing but hot air.
Old 01-28-2010   #8
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Nicely done!

I never have put too much stock into what McClain or the rest of the hacks at the Chron. Their opinion isn't any different than what we have around here. Unless there are sources involved with what they have to say, it's nothing but hot air.
Yes, and even with sources involved they spew out flatulent hot air!

Chron =
Old 01-28-2010   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
And responded to this question:
with:
There's a distinct difference in John McClain, the journalist who relays information through his NFL contacts, and John McClain, the football analyst. The former is very good, the latter is laughably bad.

In my OP, I pointed out why I think it's the former relaying the message and not the latter. There's obviously the chance that I'm wrong, but the way that he frames his assertion makes it sound like it's something he's hearing.
Old 01-28-2010   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by No More 8-8's View Post
There is two things they like about Studdard.

1) He is cheap compared to the contract that Pitts will get.
2) He plays nasty
Apparently that outweighs the things NOBODY can POSSIBLY like about him.

Like:

1. Size/Strength- He'll never push anyone over for 1 yard in the times of crunch. Proven over and over. Oh and it's not just crunch times either, 1st and 10 with 12:00 left in the 1st quarter and his blocking will net you exactly what it netted all ****ing year long: MAYBE 1 yard if the RB can wiggle his way through bodies crashing into him.

2. Athleticism- My sister runs more gracefully than he does.

3. UM BLOCKING?!?!? How awesome is his nasty attitude that the 1 block he lays every 5th or 6th play keeps good thoughts running through the other terrible performances?

Let's not even discuss how awfully, pathetically bad the depth will be if they can't beat Kasey "freaking" Studdard.

This is a guy who can pass block well enough to hold a backup spot. Oh and he does it with his best "mean face" on so everyone knows just how hard he is trying. [/good things about his game]
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #11
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if he has heard whisperings about Pitts not being resigned, that could simply mean that we are planning on addressing the position through FA and/or the draft...just like so many of us want.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #12
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Even if he has heard whisperings about Pitts not being resigned, that could simply mean that we are planning on addressing the position through FA and/or the draft...just like so many of us want.
That's my thinking too.
Old 01-28-2010   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd really like to have 4 quality OG's in front of Studdard on the depth chart.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #14
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Apparently that outweighs the things NOBODY can POSSIBLY like about him.

Like:

1. Size/Strength- He'll never push anyone over for 1 yard in the times of crunch. Proven over and over. Oh and it's not just crunch times either, 1st and 10 with 12:00 left in the 1st quarter and his blocking will net you exactly what it netted all ****ing year long: MAYBE 1 yard if the RB can wiggle his way through bodies crashing into him.
There was a play in Cincinnati last year, where Studdard completely
whiffed on a cut block, and just as Slaton was about to jump over him,
Kasey lifts his fat ass in the air, causing Steve to fumble. Steve got
benched for a series after that. Thanks Kasey. Excellent blocking.
Old 01-28-2010   #15
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Except that that's not what it says.
Old 01-28-2010   #16
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

One might actually think you guys didn't like Studdard at OLG. He must have done something right though, as we won our last 4 games, including the last one over the Patriiots. Of course I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't draft at least one or two OGs in this draft.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #17
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 135 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

Thats why i love listening to NFL Radio right now. You ask John McClain and those radio guys the same question and you will hear vastly different answers.

For example, "Tell me who do you think will be available for the Texans in the draft and what is their needs?"

NFL Radio guys will spend 5 minutes talking about strenghts and weeknesses and come up with a couple good names that they think will fit the team.

John McNameDropper will just reply back with, its too early to tell wait til the combine and we will get a better idea.

Very frustrating to get any sort of decent football response from the man who has covered football for so many freaking years!
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #18
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Except that that's not what it says.
Well if its in writing then it must be true. My apologies.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
There was a play in Cincinnati last year, where Studdard completely
whiffed on a cut block, and just as Slaton was about to jump over him,
Kasey lifts his fat ass in the air, causing Steve to fumble. Steve got
benched for a series after that. Thanks Kasey. Excellent blocking.
I remember that play. UGGGGH!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #20
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
One might actually think you guys didn't like Studdard at OLG. He must have done something right though, as we won our last 4 games, including the last one over the Patriiots. Of course I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't draft at least one or two OGs in this draft.
You do realize that it's possible to win in spite of someone, don't you? The Jets won 9 games with Sanchez throwing 20 picks on the season, but he must have been doing something right. We won over 20 games with Carr under center, so he must have been doing something right...

The only reason that I can find that Studdard would be considered the starter from this point forward is nepotism. Kubiak and Studdard's father were teammates, so Kasey gets every opportunity to show that he is good enough to be a starter (he isn't). This could obviously be proven wrong if Pitts is brought back, we sign a good FA, or we draft an upgrade. I hope we do because I can't take another year of Studdard's ineptitude.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read