Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-28-2010   #1
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default FA and Draft Strategy of a Coach on the edge.

OK, so McNair gave Kubes his vote of confidence, however he didn't sign him to a long term contract. I think it's a good way to get McNairs point across however how will this affect the short and long term plans of the Texans in regards to personnel moves. Will Kubes/Smith draft scared or will they draft for the long haul. Also how do you handle FA, based on your draft strategy.

So DT, FS, and CB are the biggest needs on the D. Although I'm sure the OL and RB situation will be addressed in the draft, in my humble opinion you don't have to do that on the first day.

With all that said, the general consesus is that DT's and CB's take a couple of years to develop so you don't get as much bang for your buck in the first year from these positions unless you get real lucky. So this leaves FA, the problem with FA with these positions is that they cost a ton. So logically the Texans FO would draft these positions and go with the cheaper positions in the draft, but with this season bieng a a possible do or die, what do you think will happen.

Although I'd like to see us draft a DT and/or CB in one and/or two, but personally I think CB is our biggest need However based on all the factors I think we should draft a FS in round one and pick up a DT/CB in FA (even if is costs us some big dough), then rounds 3 thru 4 can get depth at DT/FA, and/or OL/RB.

What is everyones thougts on Kubes/Smith's strategy based on a possible playoffs or bust season.......
Old 01-28-2010   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: FA and Draft Strategy of a Coach on the edge.

My guess is that they won't do a whole lot in free agency. They might go after a guy or two, but it won't be any highly ranked free agent. They never have under Smithiak.

As far as the draft goes, I think they'll have no problem drafting project players. They didn't in the last draft and they could have both been canned after this season perhaps and that didn't stop them then, so I'd fully expect them to do the same thing again if they see a player they like whether he's a possible project type of player or not.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #3
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

The crop of Free Agents is pretty weak overall. I wouldn't mind either Chester Taylor or Lendale White at the RB position which would free up a draft pick for the other needs. I'd hate to get in a bidding war on some of the junk FA's out there.
Old 01-28-2010   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we may see a couple free agents or trades but not the high dollar contract offer to a super star. I think we need to re-sign the FA/RFA's on this team and go after an OG/DT/RB in free agency that is of the Pollard, Cody, Walter level. Solid guys that should contribute... but sometimes they turn out to be steals. I'd like to see a starting calibre OG, a DT for the rotation and a solid RB that doesn't force us to draft one early (although we still might).

In the draft, I think we need to get guys where their Length to Impact is short, in other words can come in and produce right away. I actually think a CB can produce quickly (see Quin's first year, Bennett's first year). A lot depends on how deep the positions are in the draft (relative to your team) and what we can/can't accomplish in FA.

If we don't get an OG in free agency... I think a starter from the draft is a MUST. Regardless of Brisiel/Caldwell/Studdard's potential.

I agree OG/RB are the two positions on offense. DT/CB/FS are the positions on defense. I could also see them going DT early if the value is there because they're committed to building our DL.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #5
TexansMVP
Probowler

Haven't read anything about this in some time, but any thoughts on a kicker...whether it be through the draft, free agency or stay with KB? Not sure if there are any good options out there.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #6
Big Poundcake
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 Big Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden cover

What about LT at RB if the Chargers drop him?
Big Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I would like to see them get one of the great guards with the 1st round pick (the Idaho G looks terrific), go for a DT in the second, and then just go with the best talent on the board after that. The only kicker I see worth drafting is the one from Texas, but given all the teams that had kicking problems this year, he may be drafted as high as the fifth round, which the Texans would not do.

As for free agents, I don't think there is much out there that would have a huge impact Texans. I think they will focus more on keeping their potential free agents/RFAs more than anything.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2010   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see how this team without any additions could be a 11-5 or 12 -4 team. I think this is what sold McNair. I see Smith and Kubes drafting solid long term players that build the team. Go 11-5 against the schedule with draft picks selected this year should get Gary his deal. Strengthen the Oline, add a quality RB and another good Corner and that will look pretty sweet. Anthing in later rounds is gravy with the fried chicken.
Old 01-28-2010   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Personally, I would like to see them get one of the great guards with the 1st round pick (the Boise State G looks terrific), go for a DT in the second, and then just go with the best talent on the board after that. The only kicker I see worth drafting is the one from Texas, but given all the teams that had kicking problems this year, he may be drafted as high as the fifth round, which the Texans would not do.

As for free agents, I don't think there is much out there that would have a huge impact Texans. I think they will focus more on keeping their potential free agents/RFAs more than anything.
Who? Got a name?
Old 01-28-2010   #10
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5006 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poundcake View Post
Look at him run now. He's out of gas and just seems like he's running becuase he HAS to not becuase he wants to. He's not any better than Moats at this point IMO
Old 01-28-2010   #11
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poundcake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
Look at him run now. He's out of gas and just seems like he's running becuase he HAS to not becuase he wants to. He's not any better than Moats at this point IMO
Here is a thread dedicated to that subject for your viewing pleasure

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68931
Old 01-28-2010   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Who? Got a name?
Mike Iupati | OG
Scouts Inc. Grade: 87

Here's his name, I can never spell it right. He's actually from Idaho, not Boisie State. It's all the same to me

Anyways, it looks like he will be moving up in projections to the late first round along with Vladimir Ducasse, which means both will be gone before the Texans 2nd pick. They could trade back a few spots before picking him up, but they might lose him in the process and miss out on a great DT as well.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #13
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Mike Iupati | OG
Scouts Inc. Grade: 87

Here's his name, I can never spell it right. He's actually from Idaho, not Boisie State. It's all the same to me

Anyways, it looks like he will be moving up in projections to the late first round along with Vladimir Ducasse, which means both will be gone before the Texans 2nd pick. They could trade back a few spots before picking him up, but they might lose him in the process and miss out on a great DT as well.
Now I get it!
Old 01-28-2010   #14
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like we are all pretty much on the same page. Here is my thought to my pondering earlier in more detail.

FA is weak no one really is a must have, which ussually results in teams getting stupid over guys that are 2nd stringers.

Unless we were to get lucky with someone that was underperforming on another team, or fits our system better I don't see FA doing anything but filling holes with rotation guys. This concerns me because I sure would like to see some holes filled so we can focus on the talent we need in the draft with out reaching.

One wildcard would be to work out some kind of trade for a sure thing at DT, or CB, but what would the price be.

Here's how I see each position of need in no real order for the draft:

DT: We played the run well this year (4 games in to the season of course), and although there are a lot of folks in here that want a DT, in theory we could get by as is, hoping that the system makes the current group better. Although I do feel that the right guy could really make this unit better than average, kind of like Cushings did for the LB's this year.

FS: Pollard really helped make the Safety position look better than it was when you had 3-4 scrubs playing beside him. Pollards ball skills looked pretty damn good to me this year maybe it was luck, but he ain't no "Roy Williams" SS. Personally I think now more than ever an above average FS would eliviate the problems at CB, and make our secondary a whole hell of a lot better in one pick. Although you need preassure on the QB from the DL, a ball hawking safety would make a QB think a milisecond longer, which had we had that last year, our DL would probably have a "lot" more sacks.

CB: Although I love GQ, I think that CB is the weakest area of the D going in to next year. I almost think that we should be looking more at CB than FS, but I just can't get past the whole FS deal. Although I was blowing up Dunta on a weekly basis, I think that if he has a couple more helpings of humble pie, gets his knee a little better, signs a very reasonable contract, and shuts up and plays I think we could go FS this year and CB next.

OL: this is the position I think we have the best chance of filling thru FA. I don't think this offense needs a 10 time all pro type OG, I just think they need someone above average to make up for "Roller Girl" at Center. Although I think every really wants a super stub OG because the center of the line was so weak this year. However I'm not dead set against going after a stub if FS and CB are reaches.

RB: I just don't see this team going after a RB in the first or second. I mean Jim Brown and/or Barry Sanders could have gone thru some of the holes (or lack of holes) this year. You gotta have the blocking, and if you have the blocking the guys we have can get the job done (Except Chris Brown!!!) as long as they hold on to the ball. Although I think we need a true power back, I don't think Kube's or Smith will go after a Blue Chip RB unless every other hole was filled and the OL was firing on all cylinders.

If I were in the FO and I had to pick using what I know and the team philosy:

1. FS
2. OG/DT
3. CB
4. RB
5.-7. BPA (With an emphasis on Interior OL, Interior DL, and CB)

This assumes that there is someone on the board worth the pick at 1-4.

In FA, I would target an above average OG and pay him what they're worth or a little more if they work in the system. I'd go after a DT that could rotate in. Last I'd take a look a RB depending on thier skill set with an emphasis on short yardage.
Old 01-28-2010   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
My guess is that they won't do a whole lot in free agency. They might go after a guy or two, but it won't be any highly ranked free agent. They never have under Smithiak.

As far as the draft goes, I think they'll have no problem drafting project players. They didn't in the last draft and they could have both been canned after this season perhaps and that didn't stop them then, so I'd fully expect them to do the same thing again if they see a player they like whether he's a possible project type of player or not.
Yep

So far that strategy has led to mediocrity. Hopefuly this philosophy changes.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #16
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This will be an interesting FA year not because who may be available by their contract being up but who is going to get cut because of a high salary that won't hurt a team in the salary cap. There may be some names that could surprise.
Having said that if you check the draft history of the Texans under Kubiak the first pick is always a need area. Mario DL..Amobi DL...D.Brown LT....Cushing LB....

Biggest hole on the team this year is RB and DT, if there's someone deserving after the combine at RB, that'll be my guess who gets picked first, if not it'll be one of the DT's that seem to have high grades this year. If a RB isn't picked first, mark it down he'll go in the 2nd.

Third and fourth round picks the past 4 years have been 3 on the OL (Spencer, Winston, Caldwell) 4 DB's (Bennett, Harrison, Molden,Quin) 2 TE's (Daniels and Hill), 1 LB Adibi and 1 RB Slayton.
This year expect a CB and OL (most likely guard-center) with these picks with history showing that's where they pick em'. I'm guessing best available guard or center available in 3rd and CB in 4th.

These guys stuck in 5-6-7 Rounds previously you had Anderson in round 7, Frye, Studdard Diles, then Okam and Barber (Okam probably played his last game in Texans uniform) and Casey and McCain.
Expect OLineman, secondary and best athlete available here.
I would put some names here but you never know who will rise or fall until the combine when the numbers go up.
nytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, John McClain still maintains he believes Kubiak gets an extension.

Usually he doesn't say those sorts of things unless small birds are talking to him.
Old 01-29-2010   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
FWIW, John McClain still maintains he believes Kubiak gets an extension.

Usually he doesn't say those sorts of things unless small birds are talking to him.
I'd have to assume he'll be getting some kind of extension. I reckon Dennison and Knapp must've been told something of the sort for them to sign on with us. I'd guess most coaches would rather not sign with a team that has their HC in his final year. Unless they're hard up, of course.
Old 01-29-2010   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'd have to assume he'll be getting some kind of extension. I reckon Dennison and Knapp must've been told something of the sort for them to sign on with us. I'd guess most coaches would rather not sign with a team that has their HC in his final year. Unless they're hard up, of course.
If they are offered a 3 year guaranteed contract then they may not care too much about the state of Kubiak's contract, especially given the uncertainty of 2011.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
If they are offered a 3 year guaranteed contract then they may not care too much about the state of Kubiak's contract, especially given the uncertainty of 2011.
There are no such thing as guaranteed contracts in the NFL. Especially when the HC that brought them in is fired. New coaches want their own staff

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read