Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-28-2010   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sporting News Top 99 Potential Free Agents

Here are some positions of interest (Note: Including unrestricted (U) and restricted free agents (R), the designation "CBA" is for free agents who will become unrestricted if a new collective bargaining agreement is reached between players and owners by March 5.):

Quote:
Running backs

Jerome Harrison, Browns (CBA). Came on strong to show promise as feature back.
Jerious Norwood, Falcons (CBA). Oft-injured; best suited in committee role.
Willie Parker, Steelers (U). Ideally, a speed complement to a power back.
Jason Snelling, Falcons (R). Makes a solid backup to Michael Turner.
Darren Sproles, Chargers (CBA). San Diego must keep electric cog in backfield.
Chester Taylor, Vikings (U). Vet's value primary on third downs, relief duty.
Pierre Thomas, Saints (R). Valuable, versatile heart of team's running game.
Leon Washington, Jets (CBA). Dynamic triple threat but coming off knee injury.
LenDale White, Titans (CBA). Phased-out power back might need new home.
Cadillac Williams, Buccaneers (CBA). Flashes feature back ability, but can't stay injury-free.
Quote:
Guards

Harvey Dahl, Falcons (CBA). Among the league's nastiest interior linemen.
Jahri Evans, Saints (CBA). Has become an elite right guard.
Logan Mankins, Patriots (CBA). Remains a very good left guard.
Stephen Neal, Patriots (U). At 33, is considering retirement.
Marshal Yanda, Ravens (R). Injury-prone yet serviceable backup.
Quote:
Defensive tackles

Barry Cofield, Giants (CBA). Still only 25 and a solid 4-3 tackle.
Casey Hampton, Steelers (U).At 32, Pittsburgh still covets him as its nose.
Tony Brown, Titans (CBA). One of the game's best inside pass rushers.
Daniel Muir, Colts (R). He's the run-stopping difference in Indy's D-line.
Ryan Pickett, Packers (U). Coming off big season as Packers' nose.
Vince Wilfork, Patriots (U). Remains a dominant interior presence.
Quote:
Cornerbacks

Leigh Bodden, Patriots (U). Found a good home in Bill Belichick's scheme.
Marlin Jackson, Colts (CBA). Team missed his size, speed in secondary.
Richard Marshall, Panthers (CBA). Rising star is ready for big jump.
Dunta Robinson, Texans (U). If he can stay healthy, he has shutdown potential.
Carlos Rogers, Redskins (CBA). A good No. 2 corner for many teams to consider.

Safeties

O.J. Atogwe, Rams (CBA). Good hitter and playmaker needs better teammates to shine.
Antoine Bethea, Colts (CBA). Has proved valuable in Bob Sanders' absence.
Atari Bigby, Packers (CBA). Always hits hard, but is an inconsistent.
Tyrone Carter, Steelers (U). Serviceable backup who can play either safety spot.
Ryan Clark, Steelers (U). Best suited to contribute at free safety.
Nick Collins, Packers (CBA). Has a great nose for the ball and big plays.
Roman Harper, Saints. Was a Pro Bowler next to Darren Sharper.
Dawan Landry, Ravens (CBA). Solid starter for run support and tackling.
Darren Sharper, Saints (U). Proved age (34) doesn't keep him from making big plays.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...-news-super-99
Tailgate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sporting News Top 99 Potential Free Agents

Ole Jason Snelling is available ha??? I mentioned him in that other RB thread, but had no idea what his contract situation was. Snelling impressed me a lot. He was a nice bruising back with some speed and runs like a truck. He's a guy that could probably be had for a nice bargain that could give a team some major PAY DIRT. Snelling would be really nice to have along with Slaton and Foster. I'd take that committee any day.

I've been on the Chester Taylor band wagon for years. One of the most underrated RB's in the league that just happens to play behind AP, but is as efficient as it gets. He's got plenty of miles left in the tank in my opinion.

I definitely wouldn't mind taking a shot at Casey Hampton. He might have another two good years left of him.

Harvey Dahl or Jahri Evans would be nice Guards to make a run at as well.

Darren Sharper is a no brainer. I was ticked off that the Texans made no effort to get him or Dawkins last off season. He's been a huge difference maker for the Saints and was in that recent game against the Vikes.

Nick Collins is definitely a guy I'd like to see the Texans persue as well. He's got a lot of play making abilities and can create big turn overs.

Antoine Bethea is a guy I'd like to have over here as well. He's been damn good for the Colts this season and really solid.

at what they said about Dunta Robinson have "Shut down" potential. He is so overrated.

It looks like there is a very nice amount of free agents this season that the Texans could use to improve. Make it happen Smith. Do what it takes to get the Texans to next level. You can't just build through the draft.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

What I liked...

Quote:
Kickers

Stephen Gostkowski, Patriots (CBA). Reliable leg might turn into hot commodity.
Sebastian Janikowski, Raiders (U). Still booming leg should draw good short-team deal.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm interested to see how the free agent market is gonna be without a salary cap.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's very little movement this offseason.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

First thing, Forget any of the FAs that have (CBA) next to them. They won't be available.

My list:
Ryan Pickett!- big DT with youth and talent

Aaron Kampmon Excellent pass rushing DE. can certainly allow A. Smith to move inside permanently on any pass down. Imagine this on 3rd and 10: Barwin and Kampman on the edge, Mario and ASmith lined up at DT!

Leigh bodden - If Dunta walks, might be a good guy to bid on.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #6
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1623 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like either RB here

RB option A: Chester Taylor
RB option B: Lendale White

monkey
HuttoKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #7
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The war continues between the media and Dunta haters over his skills and his potential!

What will happen next!

imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2010   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest issue will be are there guys released that would not normally bcause teams will not have a salary floor?
Old 01-28-2010   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
First thing, Forget any of the FAs that have (CBA) next to them. They won't be available.

My list:
Ryan Pickett!- big DT with youth and talent

Aaron Kampmon Excellent pass rushing DE. can certainly allow A. Smith to move inside permanently on any pass down. Imagine this on 3rd and 10: Barwin and Kampman on the edge, Mario and ASmith lined up at DT!

Leigh bodden - If Dunta walks, might be a good guy to bid on.
I'm paraphrasing from an Arizona blog: Antrel Rolle is due to make a ton of money in salary for '10. He said he's not taking a pay cut. The blogger asserts that Arizona is unwilling to pay him that much.

If Antrel Rolle becomes available, I would LOVE to get our hands on him. He's a true FS, with excellent cover skills, speed, can hit, and he's still young.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #10
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm paraphrasing from an Arizona blog: Antrel Rolle is due to make a ton of money in salary for '10. He said he's not taking a pay cut. The blogger asserts that Arizona is unwilling to pay him that much.

If Antrel Rolle becomes available, I would LOVE to get our hands on him. He's a true FS, with excellent cover skills, speed, can hit, and he's still young.
I would hope the Texans would be all over that if he is cut!
Old 01-28-2010   #11
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Somewhat off-topic, but with an uncapped year (also meaning no floor), and with the likely retirement of Kurt Warner, it will be interesting to see if the Cardinals revert back to their infamous history of penny pinching. If they were a stock, I'd be thinking real hard about selling.

To bring this somewhat back to the topic, this is where we might see some available FA's of note. If the uncapped year is truly a "Get out of jail free card" for teams who've signed players to more than they're worth, then the only way to get rid of those guys is renegotiate, or make them UFA's. Clearly this won't free up any truly elite players, but it may make available some guys who could step right into a starting role, and meaningfully contribute to the Texans.

The downside to this is that a large percentage of the guys who fit that bill will be past their prime (Which also brings into question what the Texans philosophy will be on these types of players), but as unthinkable as it is, I think the soapers and the sunshiners would mostly agree that a small number of strategically chosen veterans would be a good thing for this team.
Old 01-28-2010   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Of the this guys might be cut or is a FA so we should get excited, this is one of the ones in my mind that has something to it. Rolle has connections from the "U" and with Frank Bush. He is one of the handful of above average FS in the league and could help take the Texas defense into the dyanamic level.
Old 01-29-2010   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This right here. ^^^^^
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read