Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-26-2010   #1
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Season in Review: Cornerbacks

From the Texans website;

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=6032

Quote:
"I think had Brian not been on this team, we'd be talking about him for Rookie of the Year honors," Kubiak said of Quin. "I think he was exceptional. This guy played from day one and really never left the field other than the time he got hurt."
Quote:
Robinson didn't pick off any passes, but was proud of the way he contributed in 2009. "Every Sunday, I lined up against the best receiver on the field," Robinson said. "Not one receiver can say, ‘Man, when I played against the Houston Texans this year, I torched them.' Not one receiver can say that."
Old 01-26-2010   #2
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5006 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Season in Review: Cornerbacks

Dunta, didnt one of the RAMS(yeah i said rams) WR burn you? Lucky the QB wasnt good to complete the pass. Glover Quinn was great this year. Just a bit more experience and dont be surprised if he starts shutting people down. Welcome to Quinn Island
Old 01-26-2010   #3
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see dunta stay tbh
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

For a statistical breakdown of the CBs go here

http://profootballfocus.com/by_posit...=25&numgames=1

Interesting to see Reeves had the best numbers... but he wasn't going against #1 WR's either and didn't play nearly as many snaps
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #5
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

http://http://www.houstontexans.com/...?story_id=6032

Robinson didn't pick off any passes, but was proud of the way he contributed in 2009. "Every Sunday, I lined up against the best receiver on the field," Robinson said. "Not one receiver can say, ‘Man, when I played against the Houston Texans this year, I torched them.' Not one receiver can say that."

That brings up a question for me. Was Dunta playing more of a bend but don't break coverage? I'm not sure that there are many folks out there in TT land that was screaming at him more than me for the school bus size cusion that he seemed to give every WR. with that being said...his quote made me try and think back to how many times he did get "torched". With the hugh cusion he was consistantly getting beat underneath, but don't remember him getting beat deep (and WR making the catch) that much. Was this some sort of self admittance that he can't lock on to a WR and stay with him, but smart enough to know that he can keep the underneath reception from turning into a big gainer?
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #6
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Arizona's Running Back torched him on the ground and Larry Fitzgerald torched him in tha air.

Dunta STFU and take your Lower pay and sit there untill called
Old 01-26-2010   #7
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

What is Dunta talking about? I thought we played coverage by side, where Dunta always lined up on one side of the field and whoever was number two lined up on the other side.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2010   #8
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
What is Dunta talking about? I thought we played coverage by side, where Dunta always lined up on one side of the field and whoever was number two lined up on the other side.
That's what they've done in the past, but this year they had him move around to follow the top receiver.

Maybe that's Bush's philosophy, or maybe they were just making him earn every penny.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #9
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
That's what they've done in the past, but this year they had him move around to follow the top receiver.

Maybe that's Bush's philosophy, or maybe they were just making him earn every penny.
To accomplish that he would have had to cover the TE and BOTH WR at the same time.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #10
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

The cornerback position makes me nervous. I'm simply not ready to buy into what everyone is saying about Quin being a shut-down receiver. Don't get me wrong, I really like the guy and have high hopes for him, but as of right now its just that...hopes. I would not feel comfortable going into next season with him lining up against top receivers.

The Dunta situation is still a mess. It still seems like he has a really high opinion of himself and will be looking for a big pay day. Chances are he will want more $ than he's worth, and some other team will give it to him if he decides to test FA.

Reeves is a solid player and I'm glad he is on our team. He provides us with consistency that we don't get from any other player.

There is some potential here, but we definitely need to add another corner or two to this team before the next season starts.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #11
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
To accomplish that he would have had to cover the TE and BOTH WR at the same time.
Winnah!
Old 01-27-2010   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Quin was exceptional for a rookie as well. I cannot recall seeing a Texan CB make as many plays, in a season, with the ball in play than he.
Old 01-27-2010   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I would like to see dunta stay tbh
I don't really mind if he stays, but I dont want the team to feel complacent with his "lockdown coverage abilities". I'd like Quinn to play a little saftey, truth be told.
Old 01-27-2010   #14
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I still say let Dunta waste some other team's money. #1 CB's aren't supposed to allow catches and then tackle. #1 CB's are guys other teams should be hesitant to throw towards. Dunta's not scaring anybody.
Old 01-27-2010   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey Dunta,

I had a very good game against YOU and The Texans.

Signed,

Kenny Britt
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quin did really well this season and I love hearing that from Kubiak. Steal in the 4th round!

Thinking of steals in the 4th round at the CB position... so was Fred Bennett in his rookie season. I hope Quin continues to improve but it sounds like Bennett is on his way out. Any chance he can rebound? What is his attitude and work ethic like?

I think we've got great depth at the position but not a true #1 CB. I think Quin, Robinson and Reeves are all better as the 2-4 cb's. If we could just add a true #1, then we'd have a very good secondary. Another #2 or nickle would help but it definitely wouldn't push us over the edge.

I relate it to our WR's. Imagine our wr's without Andre. I think they're all good but none are true #1's. Add in AJ and the others fit their roles perfectly and it becomes the strength to our team. I'm not saying we need an AJ calibre guy for CB, but one that fits the #1 mold and that's not Dunta.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I thought Quin was exceptional for a rookie as well. I cannot recall seeing a Texan CB make as many plays, in a season, with the ball in play than he.
Hopefully in the first post-Hoke era opportunity we will see a rookie DB progress in his second season.
Old 01-27-2010   #18
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. CB position is so weak it's really amazing to think the D was much improved.

Dunta-contract issues and missed camp. Had the pressure on him to perform VERY well and turned in an okay card at best. Sign him to a deal that fits his game or let him walk with all that talk.

Reeves-played solidly but clearly was missed in the first month. I think he's our nickel of the future

Quin-how awesome is it to have a 4th round guy contributing? AND doing well? Nice. Potential starter next year over Reeves or even at FS because he tackles so well.

McCain-dimeback but totally an upgrade over Bennett. Speed and seems to know where he is on the field.

Bennett-sucks

Molden-sucks because he can't play.

I see a high round pick going to the secondary, either FS or CB 1st or 2nd round.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #19
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Hey Dunta,

I had a very good game against YOU and The Texans.

Signed,

Kenny Britt
When did 2 receptions for 22 yards become a good game?

When did 4 receptions for 42 yards and a TD become a good game?

Those have to be the lowest standards for a "good" game that anyone has ever proposed.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Dunta STFU and take your Lower pay and sit there untill called
Didn't realize that Joe was such a playa hata?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
For me, Aaron Glenn '02 was the quintessential season for a Texan corner.

Season in review for Texan CBs? Well, I don't think they lost any games on their own. Don't remember them winning any games on their own, either. I would like to see an upgrade, via draft or free agency. If not, I think the Texans could win with this group. Provided they get an improved and more consistent pass rush. Really, who plays CB for the Colts and the Saints? It's nice to have a Darrelle Revis. But, not absolutely necessary.

I don't know if he would be available in the 2nd round, but OK State corner Perrish Cox fits the physical profile Smithiak looks for in a CB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read