Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-26-2010   #1
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Thomas Jones

Would we be interseted in bringing this guy in?

From rumour central...

More evidence why Jones could go
10:23
AM ETThomas Jones | Jets | Interested: Chargers?, Texans? Jones in his 30s
2008 (30 years old): 290 carries, 1,312 yards, 13 TD. 36 receptions, 207 yards, 2 TD. 2009 (31 years old): 331 carries, 1,402 yards, 14 TD. 10 receptions, 58 yards. Thomas Jones has been the exception to the age-old wisdom regarding NFL running backs in old age. Most backs start declining at age 30, but in his age 30 season (2008) and age 31 season (2009), he's had arguably his greatest campaigns.

So why in the world would the New York Jets be weighing whether or not to let him walk in free agency? That's the subject of debate right now, and in conversations with a few Jets beat writers this past weekend, Phillip B. Wilson of the Indianapolis Star has gotten the sense that the team might do just that. With the Jets' season-ending loss on Sunday, that feeling will only intensify. Jones is due a $3 million roster bonus on March 1, and rookie Shonn Greene answered the call nicely down the stretch of the regular season and in the playoffs.

The Jets should also have Leon Washington back next season, giving them a shifty back to pair with Greene. If Jones is not retained, we could see him getting some interest from the Chargers and Texans, both of whom will need a between-the-tackles back for 2010.

Update: Jones was "conspicuously absent in the locker room" on Monday, according to Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News. Interesting ...
Old 01-26-2010   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thomas Jones

No. I would not want to see the Texans sign him. I think he has done pretty much what he's going to do and now he'll settle back into a not particularly exciting last contract with somebody if the Jets cut him loose.

We'll probably jump on and overpay though. The Texans would try and demonstrate that they learned their lesson low-balling Cedric Benson a couple of years back but instead would just show the world that they didn't learn their lesson signing Ahman Green. The time to take a flyer on Thomas Jones was when the Bears signed him, not now.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #3
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

He had his best years because the Jets have a DOMINANT offensive line.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
He had his best years because the Jets have a DOMINANT offensive line.
That's for dadgum sure! Don't they have like 3-4 first rounders along the line? Awesome!
Old 01-26-2010   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
That's for dadgum sure! Don't they have like 3-4 first rounders along the line? Awesome!
Four 1st rounders and undrafted Brandon Moore.
Old 01-26-2010   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Four 1st rounders and undrafted Brandon Moore.
Must be nice to hit on 1st rounders in the trenches.......
Old 01-26-2010   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would much rather sign C.Taylor. He and Jones are about the same talent wise and both are 30 yr old RB's. Taylor has way less miles on him than Jones.

I hope the Texans follow the Jets lead and invest in the OL and pick up a RB and a NT in FA. The Jets were able to pick up B.Scott,J.Leonhard,M.Douglas in FA and trade for Lito Sheppard last offseason. They had less cap space than the Texans but they released guys so they could make these moves.

Can you say AFC championship game? All of this with a rookie HC and QB. This is what a great OL and a very good defense can do for a team.

It's all about committment to getting better.

Smithiak could learn a thing or two.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2010   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I would much rather sign C.Taylor. He and Jones are about the same talent wise and both are 30 yr old RB's. Taylor has way less miles on him than Jones.

I hope the Texans follow the Jets lead and invest in the OL and pick up a RB and a NT in FA. The Jets were able to pick up B.Scott,J.Leonhard,M.Douglas in FA and trade for Lito Sheppard last offseason. They had less cap space than the Texans but they released guys so they could make these moves.

Can you say AFC championship game? All of this with a rookie HC and QB. This is what a great OL and a very good defense can do for a team.

It's all about committment to getting better.

Smithiak could learn a thing or two.

Totally agreed. As good as JOnes looked this season, he's got to be due for an injury plagued season at this point. Taylor would be a great pick up and he's the main guy I would want in the off season as far as a guy from another team.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as FAs go, I would rather see Willis McGahee than Taylor or Jones. He's a great one-cut runner, and he's bigger than I thought (232 and six feet).

He's actually under contract through 2013 but with the uncapped year coming up speculation is rampant in Baltimore that they will cut him with the emergence of Ray Rice. I guess they figure they can go 1-2 punch with he and McClain and get rid of McGahee's big salary.

If they do cut him though, he's probably going to get the biggest RB FA contract of the offseason, so we probably won't be in play.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we should get our own Shonn Greene
Old 01-26-2010   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

he was a FA a few years ago (if I recall) and we (the Texans) didn't jump on it then and I don't think they will jump on it now.. however with the Texans track record with FA Rbs , one will never know.....
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
he was a FA a few years ago (if I recall) and we (the Texans) didn't jump on it then and I don't think they will jump on it now.. however with the Texans track record with FA Rbs , one will never know.....
More the reason not to screw with any FA RB's. At least I'd hope they've learned their lesson by now.

Draft one on day 2 (2-3 rounds?) and be done with it for a couple years. I know that sounds too easy the way we've gone about the RB position.
Old 01-27-2010   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jones looked bad toward the end of the season and wasn't getting it done in the playoffs. He looks like he's aging to me
Old 01-27-2010   #14
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 18707 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I hope the Texans follow the Jets lead and invest in the OL and pick up a RB and a NT in FA.
Do we use a NT in a 4-3 or is a NT only in a 3-4? Confused here.
Old 01-27-2010   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153128 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If we were to sign him for something "reasonable" and give him an opportunity to prove to the league that he can still produce, I'm all about signing Thomas Jones.

I would not want to be the one who get's hooked with that big contract.

I would even be interested in signing him to a performance based lucrative contract.

He's been getting better with age. Unlike a guy like LT.

Thomas Jones may have another year or two in him.
Old 01-27-2010   #16
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted him 3 years ago when he left Chicago but now I have Ahman Greenitis and Chris Brownitis. The Jet that I want in here is Kerry Rhodes...it doesn't look like they are wanting to pay him that 2 million dollar bonus.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
Do we use a NT in a 4-3 or is a NT only in a 3-4? Confused here.
Yes there is a NT in both.

The NT typically lines up to take on the C and a G. The other DT or 3 technique typically lines up in between the opposite G and T. The NT is expected to take on the C/G double team with the 3 technique taking a solo on the G or shooting one of the gaps. This is very general and there are lots of variations.
Old 01-28-2010   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

No way. The Texans have been burned by older backs on the wrong side of 30 too many times.

We need to grab one in the 2-4th round to go along with Slaton, Moats and Foster and be done with it.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
No way. The Texans have been burned by older backs on the wrong side of 30 too many times.
Too many times? Name all the 30 year old backs when they came to the Texans and I'll spot you Green.

We don't have 4 1st rounders on our OL though.

Last edited by infantrycak; 01-28-2010 at 12:19 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Jones looked bad toward the end of the season and wasn't getting it done in the playoffs. He looks like he's aging to me
UH, OH. He is a prime candidate for Texans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read