Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-25-2010   #1
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default And then there were four....

Detroit Lions
Cleveland Browns
Jacksonville Jaguars
Houston Texans

The Futile Four: the remaining teams in the NFL that have never been to the Super Bowl.

I gotta' root for the Saints, since it was five teams before yesterday. Represent the Futile teams, New Orleans! Give us hope that something good will happen for us in the next four decades.

Old 01-25-2010   #2
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: And then there were four....

I was trying to remember who was left last night.

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-25-2010   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The real shame here is Detroit. Cleveland, Jacksonville and Houston have not been around for the entire history of the Super Bowl, only for a piece of it. Detroit has been around for all of them and never made it.

Glad I'm not a Detroit fan.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The real shame here is Detroit. Cleveland, Jacksonville and Houston have not been around for the entire history of the Super Bowl, only for a piece of it. Detroit has been around for all of them and never made it.

Glad I'm not a Detroit fan.
The bolded is our saving grace.

It doesn't seem to mean much in the so-called "Super Bowl Era", but both the Lions and Browns have NFL championships in their history. The Lions were champs in 1935, 1952, 1953, and 1957. The Browns in 1950, 1954, 1955, and 1964.
Old 01-27-2010   #5
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

There are 9 franchises that have never won a championship of any kind (Super Bowl, NFL, AFL).

Bengals, Texans, Jaguars, Vikings, Saints, Falcons, Panthers, Seahawks and Browns.

Yes, the Browns. Cleveland can keep all the records and stuff they want but the franchise that put up all those records is now in Baltimore.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #6
texdawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 2455 texdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
There are 9 franchises that have never won a championship of any kind (Super Bowl, NFL, AFL).

Bengals, Texans, Jaguars, Vikings, Saints, Falcons, Panthers, Seahawks and Browns.

Yes, the Browns. Cleveland can keep all the records and stuff they want but the franchise that put up all those records is now in Baltimore.
If Houston was allowed to keep the name, all rights, records, memorabillia, ect of the Oilers, would you say that the Titans are the real Oilers and the new Oilers are some kind of fraud?

I wouldn't. I'd say the Oilers have been reborn. Shame that didn't happen in Houston.
Old 01-27-2010   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:

If a team has been to the Super Bowl, they have won either the AFC or NFC championship.

That may not mean much to you, but they are still considered championships and qualify for "any kind".

And you might disagree with the Browns records, but if you go to the Baltimore Ravens website, their official history makes no mention of those old Cleveland Brown records (matter of fact, Baltimore's football history is recognized with 8 Baltimore Colts in their Ring of Honor: - QB Johnny Unitas, WR Raymond Berry, RB Lenny Moore, DT Art Donovan, DE Gino Marchetti, TE John Mackey, OT Jim Parker and LB Ted Hendricks.)

The Cleveland Browns are officially recognized by the NFL and the Pro Football Hall of Fame to hold all Browns records and history. I'd say that their perspective means more than the average football fan at the end of the day.
Old 01-28-2010   #8
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
If a team has been to the Super Bowl, they have won either the AFC or NFC championship.

That may not mean much to you, but they are still considered championships and qualify for "any kind".

And you might disagree with the Browns records, but if you go to the Baltimore Ravens website, their official history makes no mention of those old Cleveland Brown records (matter of fact, Baltimore's football history is recognized with 8 Baltimore Colts in their Ring of Honor: - QB Johnny Unitas, WR Raymond Berry, RB Lenny Moore, DT Art Donovan, DE Gino Marchetti, TE John Mackey, OT Jim Parker and LB Ted Hendricks.)

The Cleveland Browns are officially recognized by the NFL and the Pro Football Hall of Fame to hold all Browns records and history. I'd say that their perspective means more than the average football fan at the end of the day.
No, no...I get all of that. I'm just saying, I don't care how it's recognized officially, I know the difference and that's the way I'll always look at it.

So if the same had happened to Houston, I'd still look at it as 2 seperate franchises, which it would be, just as the new Browns and old Browns are, regardless of how the history is rewritten.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
No, no...I get all of that. I'm just saying, I don't care how it's recognized officially, I know the difference and that's the way I'll always look at it.

So if the same had happened to Houston, I'd still look at it as 2 seperate franchises, which it would be, just as the new Browns and old Browns are, regardless of how the history is rewritten.
I hear ya'. Only us old timers will remember all that stuff. My 20 year old son barely remembers a faint memory of the Houston Oilers. That's just sad to me.
Old 01-28-2010   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

it is interesting that super bowls are only what some count as championships

yet personal season records are lumped into one (whether a player played in 14 game season or 16 game season and so on)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read