Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-14-2010   #81
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WalterFootball 2010 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Really? Gerhart is nothing more than a FB with good speed? Watch some games. Watch when he gets the ball with space, hell, he is more agile than Dwyer laterally.

The OLine is a bit of a concern, but look when they played superior opponents, he still averages 5+ yards per carry. If anything, Dwyer's system is better for RB's. There are 3 legitimate threats on the field. The D has account for all of them. The QB (Nesbitt) chooses the best looking option, which is normally the one with the least defenders in the area.
Well, they are two totally different offenses. Stanford was a power running theam, they ran alot of conventional running plays out of I formation and 1 back sets. The Stanford O line was really good this year. Watch some Gerhart highlights and see the offensive line dominating people. Gerhart did a good job and showed some real power. I'd be surprised if he was available by our 3rd round pick.

I was telling people during the season that it is hard to compare Dwyer with other backs because of the system. In that scheme the FB gets hit every play because every defense has to make the dive play their #1 priority. If they don't they will have the ball ran right up the middle on them, see the Florida State game in 2008 and 2009. So the FB, Dwyer, gets hit no matter if he gets the ball or not. A guy has to be tough to endure that kind of punishment on a weakly basis. Most of the runs Dwyer had the past two years were right up the middle in really tight spaces, and he showed a knack for breaking tackles and taking it all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Look what happened when GT faced a good D. Against Iowa he averaged a staggering 3.5 yards per carry.
If a team has a good defense and is able to stop the dive play than the GT offense was not very good. They weren't able to throw the ball with any consistency at all, and without the dive play to hold linebackers in the middle of the field, the pitch game wasn't effective.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #82
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Toby seems pretty serious about Football, that is my only concern. don't give as much value to his forty as someone else like Spiller or McCluster who need that kind of speed to be elusive. His footwork in tight space is ten times that of Dwyer but in open space there is a similarity to Chuck Muncie (takes some time to reach top speed) that some team will covet.

Hillis was an underutilized FB @ Arkansas. I think he would fit perfectly in ZBS because he is a downhill runner like Gerhart with better than expected cut-back ability & you know he can block. I would have no problem trading a 5th rd. pick on him, his downside- injurys. Toby is clearly a much more productive & viable option worth a 2nd/3rd rd. grade
Thanks for the info.

Gerhart is my pick if he's there in the 3rd.

He may be comparable to Shonn Greene.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #83
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
There isn't much difference between Gerhart and Dwyer running the ball or catching the ball. Gerhart is better at pass protection. Both are what the Texans need as a RB in terms of style.

The reason I've got Dwyer rated above Gerhart is Gerharts past knee injury history and his fumbling issues.

Without the past knee injuries Gerhart is a 2nd rd pick. I dropped him to the 3rd because of this.

Do you really want to draft a RB with an injury history to be the Texans feature RB? Ahman Green

Or a RB that has fumbling issues? Slaton

I like Gerhart but am wary of making him the Texans no.1 RB. Sign a FA RB and draft Gerhart in the 3rd rd. I've got no problems with this strategy
Gerhart's attempts were not lessened by any knee injury nor were his almost 2,000 yards. I see little to worry about especially if he comes to Texans with a Slaton and maybe a Chris Henry (OK) to pair with.
Old 03-09-2010   #84
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Updated today: If this happened today, I would litteraly crap my pants.

Houston Texans: Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
Houston's primary goal is to beat the Colts. They came close twice this year, but ultimately failed because of missed field goals and sloppy turnovers. However, their inability to stop Peyton Manning didn't help matters. In those two contests, Manning was a combined 61-of-85, 562 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions.

Eugene Wilson was placed on injured reserve in the middle of the season. Wilson has now missed 29 games in the last four years. The Texans can no longer count on him.

Houston Texans: Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech
The Texans are usually up front regarding what they are looking for. Virtually everyone - from the owner down to the head coach - has stated that addressing the running back position is a huge priority for them this offseason. Look for Houston to draft a runner in the first two rounds this April.

Houston Texans: Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
Dunta Robinson is officially an ex-Texan. Houston will need to find a cornerback relatively early in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Houston Texans: Mike Neal, DT, Purdue
The Texans are really hurting in the interior of their defensive line.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #85
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

Houston's primary goal is to beat the Colts. They came close twice this year, but ultimately failed because of missed field goals and sloppy turnovers. However, their inability to stop Peyton Manning didn't help matters. In those two contests, Manning was a combined 61-of-85, 562 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions.

Eugene Wilson was placed on injured reserve in the middle of the season. Wilson has now missed 29 games in the last four years. The Texans can no longer count on him.

The Texans are usually up front regarding what they are looking for. Virtually everyone - from the owner down to the head coach - has stated that addressing the running back position is a huge priority for them this offseason. Look for Houston to draft a runner in the first two rounds this April.

Dunta Robinson is officially an ex-Texan. Houston will need to find a cornerback relatively early in the 2010 NFL Draft.

That's....a decent draft...Holy cow dat would be nice. So, would Patrick Robinson wear 23? Then I could get extra milage out of my Dunta jersey.
Old 03-09-2010   #86
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Nice, I'd be pretty happy with this too.
Old 03-09-2010   #87
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dancing in the streets if the Texans can draft those 4 guys.

Then Re-sign Pitts and add Weigmann and Hamilton from Denver in FA.

That's a team that can make the playoffs.
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2010   #88
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Just looked up at the calendar. Kinda shocked that the draft is only a little over a month away. Its coming up on us.
Old 03-09-2010   #89
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just looked up at the calendar. Kinda shocked that the draft is only a little over a month away. Its coming up on us.
How about OL Mario? Is anyone you consider OL in later rounds?

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #90
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
How about OL Mario? Is anyone you consider OL in later rounds?

Go Texans!!!
I feel we are good at the tackle position with our 2 studs and a valuable swing tackle. But you might make the case that a Zane Beadles who could play guard or tackle in the 4th. I am thinking that Eric Olsen would be a good later round pick to eventually take over at center.

Marshall Newhouse out of TCU is an interesting player who was brought to my attention, taken later in the draft. Mike Johnson of Alabama will probably go in the top 3 rounds.
Old 03-10-2010   #91
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to be a little pissed if the Texans take Dwyer. Don't think he fits what we do at all and from what I have seen of him I'll be surprised if he becomes a starting RB anywhere that doesn't have a fantastic power blocking OL. What other RBs did you have on your board at that point?
Old 03-10-2010   #92
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'm going to be a little pissed if the Texans take Dwyer. Don't think he fits what we do at all and from what I have seen of him I'll be surprised if he becomes a starting RB anywhere that doesn't have a fantastic power blocking OL. What other RBs did you have on your board at that point?
I think he had both Gerhart and Tate in the 4th. I do not think Dwyer is a fit here either.

Last edited by JB; 03-10-2010 at 01:24 PM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #93
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Only RB's OFF the board at this point were Best, Spiller, and Matthews.

Dixon is available to us in the 3rd. But Our 3rd round pick is Patrick Robinson. So you would have to take one of those guys in the 2nd. Or rather trade back into the 3rd and take:

1 Earl Thomas
2 Vlad Ducasse or Daryl Washington
3 Patrick Robinson
3 Anthony Dixon
Old 03-10-2010   #94
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dixon is available to us in the 3rd. But Our 3rd round pick is Patrick Robinson. So you would have to take one of those guys in the 2nd. Or rather trade back into the 3rd and take:

1 Earl Thomas
3 Patrick Robinson
3 Anthony Dixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think he had both Gerhart and Tate ion the 4th. I do not think Dwyer is a fit here either.
I'm by no means kicking your effort here, I just wouldn't even have Dwyer on my board. I'd find something else of value in the 2nd, maybe a CB (I didn't see where you posted your entire board), and then take Tate or Dixon in the 3rd.
Old 03-10-2010   #95
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

1 Earl Thomas
3 Patrick Robinson
3 Anthony Dixon
trading a 2011 2nd to get a 2010 3rd would be the way to go. Because this draft is so deep. A 3rd this year is = to a low 1st in 2011. IMHO

I-Cak Dwyer isn't as bad as you make him out to be. But drafting Hardesty,Tate or Gerhart in the 3rd would be the way to go. IMHO One of those guys should fall to the Texans pick in the 3rd rd.
Old 03-10-2010   #96
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I feel we are good at the tackle position with our 2 studs and a valuable swing tackle. But you might make the case that a Zane Beadles who could play guard or tackle in the 4th. I am thinking that Eric Olsen would be a good later round pick to eventually take over at center.

Marshall Newhouse out of TCU is an interesting player who was brought to my attention, taken later in the draft. Mike Johnson of Alabama will probably go in the top 3 rounds.
I know this wasn't diected at me but late rd OL I like are

1. Shawm Lauvao G ARZ St.
2. JaMarcus Webb Tx A&M Kingsville
3. Tony Washington Abeline Christian
Old 03-10-2010   #97
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I-Cak Dwyer isn't as bad as you make him out to be. But drafting Hardesty,Tate or Gerhart in the 3rd would be the way to go. IMHO One of those guys should fall to the Texans pick in the 3rd rd.
Well first off I am not inclined to big backs to begin with. I am particularly not inclined to tub of goo, slow footed very long striding, not very strong big backs. Add in not having played in a pro-style offense plus coming to our one cut system and I don't particularly like him for any team that high and certainly not us.
Old 03-10-2010   #98
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Dwyer is gonna be alright but I certainly agree with Infantrycak that he is not a fit for our offense.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #99
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think Dwyer is gonna be alright but I certainly agree with Infantrycak that he is not a fit for our offense.
Marion Barber IV
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #100
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Definitely not as good a fit as Hardesty,Tate or Mathews.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read