Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-04-2010   #41
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WalterFootball 2010 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Pouncy will be gone by our 3rd and I'm locked in with my 2nd round being Gerhart. Your guy is great though.
Maybe the trade for Kuper and Hillis goes through.

Then draft Asamoah 315lbs in the 3rd with great feet or Newhouse in the 4th and your OL is set. You also have the big banger at RB that everybody has been clamouring for.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #42
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
1. Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
2. Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
3. Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford
4. Myron Rolle, Team Neurosurgeon, Rhodes Scholar - University of Oxford
My turn

1 Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan
2 Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest
3 Mike Johnson, G, Alabama
4 Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee

I grabbed two of the best CBs in the draft. According to Walter's #2 and #3. Stole a OG that will go in the 2nd after the senior bowl week, should start from day 1 at LT. Hardesty is a decent runner, rather take James Starks, Buffalo or Stafon Johnson, USC.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #43
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
My turn

I grabbed two of the best CBs in the draft. According to Walter's #2 and #3. Stole a OG that will go in the 2nd after the senior bowl week, should start from day 1 at LT. Hardesty is a decent runner, rather take James Starks, Buffalo or Stafon Johnson, USC.

I like your draft as it covers our needs, however, the problem/delimna we face is that we can either go defense and get a solid CB or S in the 2nd and 3rd rounds or we have to upgrade our o-line and get a C and OG or we can go RB or some other combo.

Personally, our defense needs to do better and I would also like to see Schaub take fewer hits so if we can get Earl Thomas/Joe Haden, then Maurkice Pouncey, Mitch Petrus, and a RB we would be set.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Maybe the trade for Kuper and Hillis goes through.

Then draft Asamoah 315lbs in the 3rd with great feet or Newhouse in the 4th and your OL is set. You also have the big banger at RB that everybody has been clamouring for.
I am not as gung ho on Kuper as some. I do not watch Denver games & he does not stand out as a great FA pick up. He is 3 years younger than Pitts.
http://broncotalk.net/2008/07/1860/p...os-player-bio/
Old 02-05-2010   #45
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
My turn

Ok, wait wait..you are going to draft Mike Johnson and start him day one at left tackle? In 2008 he played 2 games there getting injured the second game. I have seen no one pushing him for LT. What is your thought on replacing our LT Brown? Is Duane a better LG than Johnson? or do you feel Johnson is a better LT? I give you credit for waking me up this morning. You also say he will go 2nd round but you can get him in third? I agree he might be in round three but not at our pick.

You select Hardesty then say you prefer two other RBs. Why not draft the ones you like? You have an interesting mock but your reasoning throws me a bit. You draft two CBs, can I assume you think Dunta will not be back and why?
Old 02-05-2010   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I like your draft as it covers our needs, however, the problem/delimna we face is that we can either go defense and get a solid CB or S in the 2nd and 3rd rounds or we have to upgrade our o-line and get a C and OG or we can go RB or some other combo.

Personally, our defense needs to do better and I would also like to see Schaub take fewer hits so if we can get Earl Thomas/Joe Haden, then Maurkice Pouncey, Mitch Petrus, and a RB we would be set.
It is possible for Thomas to be there #20 & I hope so. Pouncy may be there second round but iffy. He would beat out Myers next season at some point. i had Petrus in 3rd before the Seniors game but he was evaluated as poor technique. That could be corrected but I have shuffled my board to eliminate him. If we get Pouncy and Petrus can be fixed, you have a great mock. Now sell me on a running back that resolves our "move the pile and score in Red Zone" issue and what round. I'll then give you an A+. Steve
Old 02-06-2010   #47
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is possible for Thomas to be there #20 & I hope so. Pouncy may be there second round but iffy. He would beat out Myers next season at some point. i had Petrus in 3rd before the Seniors game but he was evaluated as poor technique. That could be corrected but I have shuffled my board to eliminate him. If we get Pouncy and Petrus can be fixed, you have a great mock. Now sell me on a running back that resolves our "move the pile and score in Red Zone" issue and what round. I'll then give you an A+. Steve

Maybe we can take a gamble on a D2 running back? IDK of any off the top of my head but I'm gonna look into some of the D2 talent out there and see what they have.

Here's my game plan for the Texans:

1.) Get Earl Thomas or Joe Haden

2.) Maurkice Pouncey

3.) Toby Gerhart (?) or Mitch Petrus (He can be coached and had a solid senior season from what I saw)

4.) Kade Weston (Maybe early but at 6'5" 325-lbs he can stop the run and get to the QB, I just think he is something special.)

5.) Get a CB or some defensive player

6.) Get another offensive player

7.) Zoltan Mesko (Punter)

FA get a kicker to compete with Kris Brown.
Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2010   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

1st - Kyle Wilson, CB, I have him rated #2 in his class
2nd - Daryl Washington, WILL, DeMeco MIKE, Cushing SAM
3rd - Toby Gerhart, RB, rmartin65/badboy would kill me if I don't take him
4th - Jacoby Ford, WR, in Percy Harvin mold

they messed me up with Linval Joseph going earlier than expected (#107) other than that solidified defense 1st day & improved some holes in the offense on 2nd. If it pans out this way I would expect Texans to address the trenches as a free agent priority, signing both OL & DT this offseason.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Maybe we can take a gamble on a D2 running back? IDK of any off the top of my head but I'm gonna look into some of the D2 talent out there and see what they have.
Here's my game plan for the Texans:

1.) Get Earl Thomas or Joe Haden

2.) Maurkice Pouncey

3.) Toby Gerhart (?) or Mitch Petrus (He can be coached and had a solid senior season from what I saw)

4.) Kade Weston (Maybe early but at 6'5" 325-lbs he can stop the run and get to the QB, I just think he is something special.)

5.) Get a CB or some defensive player

6.) Get another offensive player

7.) Zoltan Mesko (Punter)

FA get a kicker to compete with Kris Brown.
Bolded above is a good idea if it works. Remember Kubiac saying he wanted Glenn Coffee who went before we selected? The last two years Kubes had stated the priority need of a big back that can get short yardage and first down or move the pile to keep our D off the field and to score in the Red Zone. We have failed at that miserably. A Gerhart type that has carried the rock for almost 2,000 yards & seems to get stronger the more he runs reminds me of Earl Campbell. Why wait on someone you HOPE is there? No thanks. We can get a cover corner (Kyle Wilson), a power feature back who found the end zone 28 times(TG) a center in JD Walton that is one of two players that might beat out Myers first year. Let's do that.
Old 02-08-2010   #50
BOLIO
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 BOLIO was voted MVPBOLIO was voted MVPBOLIO was voted MVP

As a Longhorn, I love me some Thomas...BUT... I really want to FIX something. Complete something. I want to be able to run the football. Thats my goal for this draft and off-season. Get the guard from Denver(Kuper) and draft the following.

1)Dwyer RB Georgia Tech. Trade back a few spots if you can get away with it or just take him at 19/20.
2) Pouncey OC. He is the best Center in the draft.
3) Johnson OG Bama. Fits our system and will provide depth this year and start his 2nd.

Have I been begging for a safety for years? YES! But we have needed to "Fix" our OL since day one. Let's fix it this year.
BOLIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #51
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

[quote=BOLIO;1362695]As a Longhorn, I love me some Thomas...BUT... I really want to FIX something. Complete something. I want to be able to run the football. Thats my goal for this draft and off-season. Get the guard from Denver(Kuper) and draft the following.QUOTE]

Whats with the hype behind Kuper, anyone care to explain?
Old 02-08-2010   #52
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 34219 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOLIO View Post
Get the guard from Denver(Kuper)

Quote:
Whats with the hype behind Kuper, anyone care to explain?
I was wondering the same thing too...he did not perform up to par this season according to quite a few Bronco fans but they did have some injury issues on their OL too.
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #53
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa465 View Post
I was wondering the same thing too...he did not perform up to par this season according to quite a few Bronco fans but they did have some injury issues on their OL too.
Kuper is a ZBS guard and he would do well on he Texans OL. He didn't do well with the new system that McDaniels brought in
Old 02-09-2010   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
Kuper is a ZBS guard and he would do well on he Texans OL. He didn't do well with the new system that McDaniels brought in
How did he do before O scheme changed? I can find nothing to move this guy in over Chester Pitts but 3 years younger.
Old 02-09-2010   #55
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
As a Longhorn, I love me some Thomas...BUT... I really want to FIX something. Complete something. I want to be able to run the football. Thats my goal for this draft and off-season. Get the guard from Denver(Kuper) and draft the following.

1)Dwyer RB Georgia Tech. Trade back a few spots if you can get away with it or just take him at 19/20.
3) Johnson OG Bama. Fits our system and will provide depth this year and start his 2nd.

Have I been begging for a safety for years? YES! But we have needed to "Fix" our OL since day one. Let's fix it this year.
Why do you pick Dwyer over TG? Dwyer has a faster 40 but little else comes close to Gerhart. Interested in your thoughts.
Old 02-09-2010   #56
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why do you pick Dwyer over TG? Dwyer has a faster 40 but little else comes close to Gerhart. Interested in your thoughts.
What do you mean, "Dwyer has a faster 40 but little else comes close to Gerhart."?
Old 02-09-2010   #57
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How did he do before O scheme changed? I can find nothing to move this guy in over Chester Pitts but 3 years younger.
Kuper was the LG on a top 5 offensive team when Shanny was there.

Check out Dennisons bio when he was OC if you want to see how Denvers OL did under Shanny/Denny.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #58
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We could always draft Maurkice Pouncey (Florida) as our future Center. He is big and has the ability to take on bigger NTs and DTs.
I agree with this solution too. But there is no evidence that Kubiak is going to do this. The history has been quite opposite.
Old 02-10-2010   #59
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
What do you mean, "Dwyer has a faster 40 but little else comes close to Gerhart."?
If you want someone to bang it in form the one...Toby is your man. If you want a larger every down back, Dywer is your guy. You have to teach Dwyer to block.

But the question the Texans must answer are they desperate enough to take LeGarrette ? He's big. He's fast for a big man. He has enough wiggle to make the first guy miss. But....he's so close to Lawrence Phillips he scares me to death. That will be the drop dead thumbnail on Steve Slaton...they take Phillips er LeGarrette.
Old 02-10-2010   #60
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:

If Johnson is posting 5.4 fifty's at the combine....he's not going to be on their board. Gotta be able to get down the field and block people down on the fly in this offense. 5.4 won't cut it in the ZBS. He's an in the box power o guy @ 5.4. I'm not arguing he isn't good because he is. He just doesn't fit what we do.

And I'm with ya on fixing something. Everyone knows who I've got the man love for by now.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read