Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-24-2010   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Why do we keep beating ourselves? ? ?

This is a question for the Sunshine Klub... I know what you Soapers think.

But Sunshine Klub (the K makes it kewl), how long have we been saying that WE are losing these games. That our boneheaded mistakes are costing us games?

I remember that's what we said last year, and the year before.

What needs to happen?
Old 01-24-2010   #2
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 114917 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why do we keep beating ourselves? ? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What needs to happen?
They need to get stronger up front. Smithiak can have linemen who weigh 180lbs. for all I care, as long as they aren't getting pushed around.

Our super athletic O-line got 3 kicks blocked, and countless runs blown up in the backfield.

Change that and you add atleast 2 wins. Find a kicker who isn't embarrassingly bad and you'll add 2 more.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #3
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Why do we keep beating ourselves? ? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
They need to get stronger up front. Smithiak can have linemen who weigh 180lbs. for all I care, as long as they aren't getting pushed around.

Our super athletic O-line got 3 kicks blocked, and countless runs blown up in the backfield.

QFT. After I think the AZ game I was so ticked and posted this (sorry, there were SO many games where we failed to get 1 yard not sure which...). We got pushed back didn't get a first or TD and lost. That week our coaches said:

1. When we need one yard bunching our players and going up the middle is our best play and;

2. Our linemen are undersized, they're athletic and finesse - they're not made for power

HTF do those comments NOT completely contradict each other?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
QFT. After I think the AZ game I was so ticked and posted this (sorry, there were SO many games where we failed to get 1 yard not sure which...). We got pushed back didn't get a first or TD and lost. That week our coaches said:

1. When we need one yard bunching our players and going up the middle is our best play and;

2. Our linemen are undersized, they're athletic and finesse - they're not made for power

Yes they do contradict each other. Classic Kubes
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

I was speaking more specifically to the bone headed plays where we fumble the ball away, throw an INT in the red zone, drop INTs, etc... Rosencopter... you know where we just screw the pooch and gift wrap the games for the other team.
Old 01-24-2010   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Young and dumb?
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #7
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-24-2010   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post

I should have known better.

Lesson learned.
Old 01-24-2010   #9
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

We aren't a clutch team. I hope that changes with experience but that's the fact. We had a clutch kicker until the team was good enough to start winning meaningful games, then he got the yips.

We don't have the interior OL to push the pile in the running game, the coaches were too slow to insert Foster at RB so we don't know if we've got an answer at power back either.

We don't have a ballhawk in the secondary so clutch takeaways are scarce, which is what this team needs to beat elite teams without a clutch kicker or short yardage running game.

I hope our first round pick solves either of the short yardage running game problem or the need for a ballhawk in the secondary. I wouldn't mind using a draft pick at some point to see if we can get a clutch kicker in here either, or at least someone who will put enough pressure on Brown to make him go back to his 07 Dolphins game form.
Old 01-24-2010   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
We don't have a ballhawk in the secondary so clutch takeaways are scarce, which is what this team needs to beat elite teams without a clutch kicker or short yardage running game.
I'll go one step farther.

We don't have any play-makers on the defensive side of the ball, save Cushing.

Pollard is a good player, so is Mario & Antonio Smith, & Demeco.

But we don't have a Ray Lewis, an Ed Reed, a Derryl Revis... we've got players that make plays, but we don't have any play makers.
Old 01-24-2010   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

outside of our hero CHKris brown, i think many of our problems are lack of experience. that doesnt encompasses all of the problems we had, but it makes things difficult and then dominoes into other mistakes. things such as leaning too heavily on the few veterans that we do have to win games, or coaches getting overly creative (or conservative), or the young players struggling to balance motivation, intensity, and discipline. very few times this season did i feel like the opposing team was taking us out of the game or just plain beating us in any area. my memory's pretty bad but i dont remember that being the case these last couple of seasons where against teams like baltimore and pittsburgh and even within our division we were obviously outmatched.

like every team there are a lot of factors in every win and loss, and holes to be filled during the offseason, but our more costly areas are relatively easy to fix and some will fix themselves with time.
Old 01-24-2010   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
my memory's pretty bad but i dont remember that being the case these last couple of seasons where against teams like baltimore and pittsburgh and even within our division we were obviously outmatched.
Just to clarify, from your recollection, we were out matched against Indy, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore?

We split the games with Tennessee & Jacksonville, so we must have been close, right?

Then we lost pretty badly, I mean it was embarrassing, to Oakland.

We lost by a touchdown to Minnesota... I didn't even get to watch that game, so I don't know what happened.

Interesting.
Old 01-24-2010   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post

Change that and you add atleast 2 wins. Find a kicker who isn't embarrassingly bad and you'll add 2 more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

Our stadium intro on the big screen characterizes our Texans as MIGHTY BULLS.

As this game has evolved with bigger and bigger and stronger and stronger players, a team based mainly on finesse these days is nothing more than a sad archaic anachronism...............destined to be thrown around like a rag doll...........and ultimately rewarded by taking it in the ass.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

As this game has evolved with bigger and bigger and stronger and stronger players, a team based mainly on finesse these days is nothing more than a sad archaic anachronism...............destined to be thrown around like a rag doll...........and ultimately rewarded by taking it in the ass.
In what way would you say our offensive line is different from the Indianapolis Colts offensive line?

The "sad archaic anachronism........ destined to be thrown around like a rage dall.... and ultimately rewarded by taking it in the ass." Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl appearing offensive line?
Old 01-24-2010   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
In what way would you say our offensive line is different from the Indianapolis Colts offensive line?

The "sad archaic anachronism........ destined to be thrown around like a rage dall.... and ultimately rewarded by taking it in the ass." Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl appearing offensive line?
The Colts OL plays strong (they don't get thrown around) besides Manning being a 1 in a million exception QB. The Colts are an anachronism not because of their OL, but because they have an Iron Man behind them.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I laughed almost as much as I did watching Favres career end on anther INT.

Very funny stuff
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
The Colts OL plays strong (they don't get thrown around) besides Manning being a 1 in a million exception QB. The Colts are an anachronism not because of their OL, but because they have an Iron Man behind them.
So you're saying back in the day, they taught the OL to get pushed around.

That it isn't the size of our OL, but their demeanor? They choose to play the game they way they did back in the 90s... getting pushed around and all?
Old 01-24-2010   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Jeff Saturday >>> Chris Myers.

You can start there. Most of our problems start in the middle of the line.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #19
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29606 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Jeff Saturday >>> Chris Myers.

You can start there. Most of our problems start in the middle of the line.

Yep
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
We aren't a clutch team. I hope that changes with experience but that's the fact.
and I hope for RealJoker's sake that we become a clutch team, so he won't have to be so "clutch".

poor guy
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read