Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-24-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL must keep top teams honest in late season

Quote:
In the first game of today's NFL doubleheader, half of the Super Bowl pairing will shake out in what figures to be a terrific regular-season rematch as the powerful Indianapolis Colts take on those upstart Houston Texans.

Gary Kubiak's team, remember, almost beat Indy twice, but Mr. Unreliable Kris Brown missed a 42-yard field goal as time expired in a 20-17 loss, and Houston blew a 13-point halftime lead in the second meeting ...

Oh, wait.

Matt Schaub and three teammates are playing in next Sunday's Pro Bowl, and the rest of the Houston team, well, they're already working on their backswings.

Peyton Manning and friends are facing the New York Jets, not the Texans. The Jets arrived at this point in part because the Jets played and beat a largely disinterested Colts team in Game 15.

And that's a glaring problem the NFL needs to correct.

Of course, the Texans have their own mistakes to correct like Brown, that running game, etc.
this is crazy.
Quote:
The league cannot fine teams for resting their starters for the upcoming playoffs, but it can and should load incentives onto these regular-season finales to make it hard for playoff-bound teams to not try their hardest and play their best to win these games.

Cash bonuses won't work. Neither would trips to Disneyland. Roger Goodell probably can't offer inducements like a chance to become full-time host of "Tonight Show" on NBC.

The only reasonable solution is draft picks. Big-time, change-the-franchise draft picks.

If a team goes 16-0, award it the first pick of the next draft. You know, the one before the Lions and Rams every year. Had the Colts won, they might be prepared to pick Ndamukong Suh this April.

If a team goes 15-1, award it a supplemental pick at the end of the first round. That equates to the first pick of the second round. Last year that was safety Louis Delmas, who only started all but one game for the Lions, made 94 tackles and returned one of his two interceptions 101 yards for a touchdown. In other words, an impact player.

Even if a team goes 14-2, give it an extra pick at the end of the second round. Last year that pick produced Shonn Greene. You might notice him in today's Jets-Colts game. You know, the one the Texans should be playing in instead.
http://www.statesman.com/sports/pro/...ype=rss_sports
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL must keep top teams honest in late season

Thats freaking crazy. Yeah, lets make the best teams better. The NFL cant do anything. And they dont have to. If the Texans were to make the playoffs, the had ample opportunity to do so. They just choked.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #3
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this is a bad idea. It seriously promotes the notion of "haves" and "have-nots", and seems to undercut the whole idea of drafting #1 overall in the first place (because your team needs the most help).

I can't remember who suggested it, but I think the best answer I've heard so far is to make the last 3 games of the season be divisional games. This would help to keep each division uncertain for as long as possible, and help to make it less likely that the teams will be willing to pull starters against their rivals.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
I can't remember who suggested it, but I think the best answer I've heard so far is to make the last 3 games of the season be divisional games. This would help to keep each division uncertain for as long as possible, and help to make it less likely that the teams will be willing to pull starters against their rivals.

man I like that idea
Old 01-24-2010   #5
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 161104 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
man I like that idea
Ditto. I think that's the best solution for this issue of teams mailing it in the last couple of games if they're already in with playoffs. It's unfair to the fans.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #6
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 22796 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I think the fine thing could work well if done effectively. Do us Texans fans really want to play 3 divisional games in a row if we're fighting for playoffs again? We know how that 4 game divisional stretch worked for us this past year.
Old 01-24-2010   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think this is a bad idea. It seriously promotes the notion of "haves" and "have-nots", and seems to undercut the whole idea of drafting #1 overall in the first place (because your team needs the most help).

That's actually a really good idea!
Old 01-24-2010   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

well I am more into the " we have (or need) to win within the division" before we can win in the playoffs.
Old 01-24-2010   #9
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ooooooh, that is fantastic idea. And it would be relatively easy to implement, I would think.

I like that the writer was sticking up for us and all, but, at the end of the day, we have some things we need to fix on our end. Being mad at any other team because the Texans aren't in the playoffs is pointless.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #10
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I think the fine thing could work well if done effectively. Do us Texans fans really want to play 3 divisional games in a row if we're fighting for playoffs again? We know how that 4 game divisional stretch worked for us this past year.
Well, but, that's the thing. It would FORCE us to get our act together. If we have ANY chance of being a dominant playoff team we all want, we have to become a major player in our division first.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #11
record
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 record is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the idea of moving the divisional games to the last few weeks as well. Many of those games would then become de facto playoff games for their respective division championships. It also kind of gives the hot teams at the end of the season a better chance b/c you can make up ground easier by beating teams ahead of you in the division. Even with out the issues of teams sitting starters late in the season b/c they have clinched, it is a great idea. I can't see the negative in this? Anyone?
record is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
On the other hand, Kubiak's Kids seem to play better football in December than any other month. All other things being equal, I like our chances with this change.

and isn't your divisional record one of the tie-breakers to determine home field advantage? Yeah, this is a better idea than passing out extra picks to help the rich get richer.

I wonder if the schedule gurus could make it work?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #13
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is a simple solution. If you mail in games like the Colts did, you lose your first and second round pick in the up coming draft. All teams need picks, no matter how good they are. Losing a first and second rounder would be devastating.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Here is a simple solution. If you mail in games like the Colts did, you lose your first and second round pick in the up coming draft. All teams need picks, no matter how good they are. Losing a first and second rounder would be devastating.
The Rules committee, basically owners and coaches, will never agree to that.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Cowboys had to play washington and Philly the last two weeks and quite honestly ,for the most part, stats can be thrown out the window when it is rivalry games
Old 01-24-2010   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14478 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Man if the texans are like 13-2

and like playing like Pittsburg in the snow on wk 17 WTF would we play and risk AJ or Matty Getting hurt ??????
Norg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #17
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14478 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

@colts-L
bye
vs Tenn-L
vs colts-L
@ jags-L

It still haunts me LOL
Norg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #18
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing about giving away the number 1 pick is that nobody really wants it. Unless they change the rookie pay structure the first pick is too big of a risk, especially for a team that just went 16-0. The writers idea was not very well thought out IMO.

It is something that I would like to see addressed though. I like the idea of playing the divisional games in December. As far as fines or taking away draft picks, then you get into having to decide whether the team blew it on purpose or just had a meltdown. If Peyton Manning sits out with a cramp in week 17, who is going to be the one who decides if he was faking or not?
Old 01-24-2010   #19
sportfan73
Rookie

Rep Power: 136 sportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respectedsportfan73 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't believe there's talk of 18-game seasons, this year better of shut those people up.
sportfan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I despise all Kindergarten style rules for this league. The NFL has always been a league of toughness, strength and power. If you have won your games, you have the power to do what you want to do as you approach the playoffs. One of the advantages of being a dominant team is that you can play at home and you can go into the Super Bowl tournament any way you choose. If your team doesn't like it they should win more games before the last games of the season. This reminds me that another reason the NFL regular season is vastly superior to the other Pro Sports leagues' 'regular seasons' is that ALL the NFL games are important early in the year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read