Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-23-2010   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default C.J. Spiller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pueH5Wv021M
I'd like to have this guy but I am sure he will not be on the board for long.
Old 01-23-2010   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: C.J. Spiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pueH5Wv021M
I'd like to have this guy but I am sure he will not be on the board for long.
dynamic isn't he? can only imagine right now
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
dynamic isn't he? can only imagine right now
He the speed and the eye sight for the open lane but most of all he has the heart to play the game like Cushing.
Old 01-24-2010   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

looks like another chris johnson tbh but hes only a pipe dream for us
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #5
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

We have enough small RBs on the team already. I would like for us to take Jonathan Dwyer from GA Tech if he declares...I would take Anthony Allen from GA Tech too and even Ryan Houston from UNC. They are all big guys with good speed and hands. I think Dwyer is the best though. I hope we look at Lagarette Blount too...just want a big young back with good speed and hands.

Last edited by ubecool454; 01-24-2010 at 10:41 AM.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Let's just hope they draft a top prospect RB.
Old 01-24-2010   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58359 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
We have enough small RBs on the team already. I would like for us to take Jonathan Dwyer from GA Tech if he declares...I would take Anthony Allen from GA Tech too and even Ryan Houston from UNC. They are all big guys with good speed and hands. I think Dwyer is the best though. I hope we look at Lagarette Blount too...just want a big young back with good speed and hands.
I dissagree that we already have enough small backs. Moats had his chance and proved he doesnt belong in the NFL. Slaton is and will be a huge question mark until he gets back on the field and proves he can play again. I really liked the kid from Oregon last year but being that small and having a cronic shoulder injury doesnt translate well in the NFL.

Spiller would fit in our offense seamlessly. He would be our Westbrook or Bush. With him on the field teams would have to respect his big play ability. We could survive with Foster and a later round pick (Blount) or bigger back in FA.

Slaton, Spiller
Foster, Blount?? or FA

would be ok by me.
Old 01-25-2010   #8
theanswer000
Rookie

Rep Power: 11 theanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden cover

On many mocks C.J. Spiller is going here. Not only do many teams in front of us have a running back, there are better players for other positions that they need. C.J. Spiller is not a pipe dream but very much a reality of our 20th pick.
theanswer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144827 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Steelbtexan mentioned Chester Taylor being a FA after this season - I wouldnt mind picking him up in FA - He's a complete back and doesnt have a whole lot of miles on his body. That would the Texans to use these high draft picks on other positions - OG , FS , C , DT in the early rounds.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswer000 View Post
On many mocks C.J. Spiller is going here. Not only do many teams in front of us have a running back, there are better players for other positions that they need. C.J. Spiller is not a pipe dream but very much a reality of our 20th pick.
Spiller seems like the perfect back for a team that already has an established running game. Spiller isn't really a guy you draft when you need a RB. He's a guy you draft when you need speed to stretch the field. A guy that can be a jack of all trades (except when you need to run them 15 or 20 times a game) like Felix Jones, Darren McFadden, or Reggie Bush. He would be a big help in the return game, but will he really provide what we, the Texans, really need? We need a guy who can pound for 15-20 carries a game if need be, I don't see Spiller as that type of back.

Shonn Green would have been the perfect type of back for us last year. I see Jonathan Dwyer as that type of player this year. I would take Dwyer over Spiller for the Texans.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
It's interesting to see Anthony Allen mentioned admist all of the Dwyer hype. Allen will be back at Tech this year, but he'll be an interesting prospect come 2011 draft talk. He's 6'1" 230lbs with an excellent combination of speed and power (can play both A and B back in the spread.)

I'll be really interested to see what NFL scouts say about him, but from my untrained eye I think he'll have a nice, productive career in the NFL.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Spiller seems like the perfect back for a team that already has an established running game. Spiller isn't really a guy you draft when you need a RB. He's a guy you draft when you need speed to stretch the field. A guy that can be a jack of all trades (except when you need to run them 15 or 20 times a game) like Felix Jones, Darren McFadden, or Reggie Bush. He would be a big help in the return game, but will he really provide what we, the Texans, really need? We need a guy who can pound for 15-20 carries a game if need be, I don't see Spiller as that type of back.

Shonn Green would have been the perfect type of back for us last year. I see Jonathan Dwyer as that type of player this year. I would take Dwyer over Spiller for the Texans.
All of this is while not counting on Steve as the number one RB, right?
Old 01-29-2010   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
looks like another chris johnson tbh but hes only a pipe dream for us

When I watched that video these were my thoughts as well, looks like Chris Johnson, but I think he's very possible for us in the 1st. If we do take Spiller in the 1st we had better pick an OG in the 2nd cause he ain't going anywhere without a better O-line.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Its a good thing that the Texans didnt draft Chris Johnson, because he would not have had 2000 rushing yards this season. And Spiller better hope the Texans dont draft him. I have a feeling that we would ruin him, while thriving with some top tier teams.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Its a good thing that the Texans didnt draft Chris Johnson, because he would not have had 2000 rushing yards this season. And Spiller better hope the Texans dont draft him. I have a feeling that we would ruin him, while thriving with some top tier teams.
Which isn't a reason not to draft either one.
Old 01-30-2010   #16
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1002 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

Still not sold on this guy for the Texans...he looks to bring the same thing to the table as Slaton...if there are holes/open areas any of our RBs can get there. Even in Spiller's highlights you don't see a physical running back but rather a speed guy. If an NFL defender gets an arm on him he is going to go down just like Slaton when there is no space. Even though they are similar is height and weight Chris Johnson was different at ECU. Johnson was and still is a physical and fast RB. I bring up Johnson because I think he is the eye candy everyone is fixated on...fix our OL and we will have our 3500-4000 yd passing and our 1900-2000 yd rushing attacks. Notice I said attacks because it doesn't matter who get the yards as long as the team does and it translates into wins.
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Steelbtexan mentioned Chester Taylor being a FA after this season - I wouldnt mind picking him up in FA - He's a complete back and doesnt have a whole lot of miles on his body. That would the Texans to use these high draft picks on other positions - OG , FS , C , DT in the early rounds.
Taylor was available when we drafted Jon Wells...so he's a 9 year vet. It's time this team went after feature backs that didn't have teen aged kids.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Taylor was available when we drafted Jon Wells...so he's a 9 year vet. It's time this team went after feature backs that didn't have teen aged kids.
I know what you're saying Vin

Though, Taylor hasn't had many carries in the last 3 yrs.

He's a hard runner with good hands and is good at pass pro.

Taylor is a low milage RB

A 2 yr deal with a team option for a 3rd year sounds about right.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #19
theanswer000
Rookie

Rep Power: 11 theanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden cover

After watching the senior bowl yesterday I am more convinced that C.J. Spiller is going to be a Texan. For all you jock riding Iupati fans out there face it he had a horrible game, he just sunk out of the first round. There was no need for Spiller to play anyways he is the feature back in the draft. Luckily a lot of teams have running backs that are picking before us or there is just going to be a better player available. I have C.J. Spiller or Kyle Wilson as our first round pick.
theanswer000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read