Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-23-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Grossman still trying to get out of Chicago

Quote:
Times are tough all over and the real estate market is not what it used to be. Just ask Texans backup quarterback Rex Grossman.

According to a report by Bob Goldsborough for chicagobreakingsports.com, Grossman had to suck it up and bring over $600,000 to closing on a Chicago property he unloaded this week.

Grossman made $620,000 as Matt Schaub's backup in 2009.

According to Goldborough, Grossman has one more property for sale in the resort community of Lake Forest, Illinois, which is along the shore of Lake Michigan, a few miles north of Chicago.

The $760,000 question (that's the NFL minimum salary for a player with Grossman's tenure by the way) is where will sexy Rexy land in 2010?

Gary Kubiak didn't feel comfortable with Dan Orlovsky backing up Matt Schaub in 2009 even though Orlovsky was brought in early in the free agent period (at a much higher price than Grossman) to be Schaub's backup.

That lack of confidence in Orlovsky, who looked terrible in preseason 2009, should be a bit unsettling to Texans fans given there's a chance that Grossman will not be re-signed. Grossman becomes an unrestricted free agent on March 5.

I'm guessing the market for Grossman won't be great, but he'll shop himself around and land somewhere as a backup for another near-minimum deal. I wonder if Shanny & Shanny will try to bring Rex up to Washington to compete with Jason Campbell and Todd Collins?

Losing Li'l Shanny still bothers me, by the way.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...nel-rss-Sports
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Grossman still trying to get out of Chicago

THey need to have more faith in Dano I think

because really we have no choice LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #3
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Rex can be re-trained.

"now go over there and sit"....
"good boy"
Old 01-24-2010   #4
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 116 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I think Rex can be re-trained.

"now go over there and sit"....
"good boy"
or re-educated. hell we're outsourcing the rest of our jobs why not Schaub's backup?
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Losing Li'l Shanny still bothers me, by the way.
I have a hard time worrying about the opinion of a person that makes this statement. As if Li'l Shanny somehow knows this O better than Kubiak. Please.
Old 01-24-2010   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Where did I say he knew the O better than Kubiak?

I think Kyle is a good strategist and creative in ways that pushed Kubiak out of his box a bit. He was a bright young mind and I think he challenged Gary and wasn't just a yes man asking for permission to call the base plays.

I liked how they moved Andre around this year and I know Kyle had a lot to do with that. I've heard Kyle speak about how they worked hard on devising multiple looks for base plays to confuse defenses (yes, I know that's what OC's do but Kyle seemed pretty good at it given the career year for Schaub).

When Schaub came off the field, Kyle was in his ear - in a good way - all the way to the bench ... after every drive. They were connected at the hip. I don't know how Dennison will be, and whether he's more of a Kubiak 'offense in a box' guy but I know that's what I will miss from Kyle. They're still looking for a QB coach so the Texans still feel there's still a missing piece.

infantry, do what you have to do on this board to maintain your rep, but next time before you reject someone's opinion like that, why not think first about asking why they made the statement in the first place?
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post

I think Kyle is a good strategist and creative in ways that pushed Kubiak out of his box a bit. He was a bright young mind and I think he challenged Gary and wasn't just a yes man asking for permission to call the base plays.

I liked how they moved Andre around this year and I know Kyle had a lot to do with that. I've heard Kyle speak about how they worked hard on devising multiple looks for base plays to confuse defenses (yes, I know that's what OC's do but Kyle seemed pretty good at it given the career year for Schaub).

When Schaub came off the field, Kyle was in his ear - in a good way - all the way to the bench ... after every drive. They were connected at the hip. I don't know how Dennison will be, and whether he's more of a Kubiak 'offense in a box' guy but I know that's what I will miss from Kyle. They're still looking for a QB coach so the Texans still feel there's still a missing piece.

infantry, do what you have to do on this board to maintain your rep, but next time before you reject someone's opinion like that, why not think first about asking why they made the statement in the first place?
Rep your way.

Kyle brought fresh eyes--and youth--to the equation.

You also allow for Dennison to perhaps be a solid contributor, yet with guarded optimism and not "Well, Dennison will fit right in."

I always wonder if it was the chance to work with his dad, or if it was an easy way out of Houston that allows him to do things more his way.

And back on topic: I don't feel good about our backup QBs. It took Grossman a lot of snaps to finally find a rhythm vs. Jax, but he had already pissed the ball away before Schaub came back in. Not good.
Old 01-24-2010   #8
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
or re-educated. hell we're outsourcing the rest of our jobs why not Schaub's backup?
I like Rex's arm strength.
I don't like Rex's tendency to go "gunslinger" at times.

If we can corral Rex's gunslinger attitude and teach him to throw it away and live for the next down, he might make a decent backup. Kubiak & Co. taught Schaub how not to fumble so much (10 in 11 games in '08, only 3 all of this year) maybe he can train Rex ball security too.

Maybe he's trainable too, but Orlovsky just flat scares me.

And John David Booty, right now anyway, is in the "meh" catagory.
Old 01-24-2010   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dennison was the OC over a better offense in Denver in 08 than the Texans offense has ever been. I believe he will be an upgrade over Lil Shanny and Gibbs because he is more committed to the run game than lil Shanny and more up to date on the modern day nuances and adjustments of the ZBS scheme. I hope I'm right on this.

There is also a good chance that Kuper and either Weigman or Hamilton could be added to the OL this offseason by Dennison. This would be a good thing. IMO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post

Fair enough. I knee jerked and didn't click through to the article - just reacted to what looked like a throw away line at the end. Do you know the movement and challenging Kubiak from someplace or are you surmising it?
Old 01-24-2010   #11
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Dennison was the OC over a better offense in Denver in 08 than the Texans offense has ever been. I believe he will be an upgrade over Lil Shanny and Gibbs because he is more committed to the run game than lil Shanny and more up to date on the modern day nuances and adjustments of the ZBS scheme. I hope I'm right on this.

There is also a good chance that Kuper and either Weigman or Hamilton could be added to the OL this offseason by Dennison. This would be a good thing. IMO
So you think the Dennison addition will equal a first day RB pick?
Just askin'....
Old 01-24-2010   #12
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Rep Power: 116 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just askin'....
i've been thinking, are we still denver south? or has it changed now that Shanny Sr. is gone? can we now be the Shannahan family's disposed inbred baby? i like that one.
Old 01-24-2010   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just askin'....
Yeah

I expect a RB to be drafted somewhere in rd. 1/3.

If the pick is in rd 1/2 I dont expect a RB in FA. If a RB is selected in rd 3/5 the Texans will probably get a RB thru trade or FA or both.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #14
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yeah

I expect a RB to be drafted somewhere in rd. 1/3.

If the pick is in rd 1/2 I dont expect a RB in FA. If a RB is selected in rd 3/5 the Texans will probably get a RB thru trade or FA or both.
i doubt that one is taken in the first two rounds. if Gerhart, or another quality big back, is around in the third i expect they'll pick him up but i doubt Kubes game will change that much with the introduction of a new OC. he's still Mike's protoge. i also doubt he tries another big back in free agency after the failure that continues to be Chris Brown. If they don't find somebody in the 3rd to 5th round they like then i fully expect to see a backfield consisting of Slaton, Foster, Moats, and either Henry or Johnson going into the season.
Old 01-26-2010   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the fact that Schaub was able to remain on the field and had a tremendous season, will impact the decision on back up QBs. Orslovsky will remain and I'd not be surprised if Rex is on our roster again. Look for another "project QB" in late rounds or UDFA.
Old 01-26-2010   #16
Austrian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2061 Austrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think the fact that Schaub was able to remain on the field and had a tremendous season, will impact the decision on back up QBs. Orslovsky will remain and I'd not be surprised if Rex is on our roster again. Look for another "project QB" in late rounds or UDFA.
I wouldn't be surprised to see us getting somone like Mike Kafka in the 7th.
Austrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #17
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Just askin'....
First round linemen pick.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austrian View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see us getting somone like Mike Kafka in the 7th.
All I know is his grand dad wrote scary short stories.
Old 01-28-2010   #19
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2316 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
THey need to have more faith in Dano I think

because really we have no choice LOL
Oh no!!!! I thought the DanOs rebellion had been squashed.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read