Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 01-22-2010   #21
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Grilling Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
On a serious note, I love any type of game food. I remember when my dad used to chicken fry backstrap. Or when we would eat some bacon wrapped dove.

I'm hungry
Yeah, me too. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-22-2010   #22
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just tried to smoke some duck, cough cough, very harsh and it will not stay lit
Old 01-25-2010   #23
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey HOUTEX, you like duck meat???
Quote:
You like venison and duck meat TB?
Quote:
Well, you can duck down and suck ol buck!
I reckon it's a good thing I wasn't around to answer.
Old 01-25-2010   #24
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
is there an option to smoke it? more tender and less chance to dry out IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yes, you can absolutely smoke it.
I reckon TB is correct, but I've never tried smoking it. I always used to screw the meat up when I had a smoker. Duck easily dries out, so you won't catch me trying to smoke it.
Old 01-25-2010   #25
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I reckon TB is correct, but I've never tried smoking it. I always used to screw the meat up when I had a smoker. Duck easily dries out, so you won't catch me trying to smoke it.
One word: Brining

Here's a quick one......

For this duck recipe, an overnight brining will help keep the meat moist, and will remove a bit of the gamey flavor.

Apple Smoked Duck Breast

Remove the bone and skin from the duck breast halves. Rinse well. For the brine, you will need...

one quart of apple juice or cider
1/4 cup kosher salt, or 3 Tbs canning salt
1 bay leaf, crushed
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, cracked

Mix the ingredients, making sure the salt is completely dissolved. This will be enough brine for up to 1 and 1/2 pounds of duck breast halves. Soak the duck in the brine at least two hours, and overnight if possible.

After brining, give the duck a quick rinse and then pat dry with paper towels. Coat each breast half with melted bacon grease.

Place the duck breasts into a 225 degree Fahrenheit meat smoker for one or two hours, depending on the size of the breast sections. Use a small amount of apple or pear wood for the smoke.

Duck is ideally eaten medium rare, but if you prefer well done, take them out when the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees.
Old 01-25-2010   #26
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Real easy and tasty way to do duck breast is:

Score the skin in a cross hatch.
Put it skin side down in a dry med-high skillet (that can go in the oven) - let the skin render down to crispy.
Flip the breasts, put in a chunk of butter, a whole garlic clove or two and a sprig of rosemary.
Spoon the butter over the top of the duck and cook just long enough to brown the bottom.
Put the skillet into a 400 degree oven for about 4-5 minutes to get to med-rare.

Remove the duck from the skillet and let it rest. While it does saute mushrooms or blanched potatoes in the duck fat/butter in the pan.

Works really well with quail as well but you have to start with some olive oil since it doesn't have the fat of the duck skin.

TB - I made the duck at Christmas as well. Game at Christmas is a tradition in our family.

Quote:
Brining is great for game.

Quote:
Remove the bone and skin from the duck breast halves.
Removing the skin from a duck breast is a tragedy.

Quote:
Citrus also works very well.
Old 01-25-2010   #27
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:

Here's a quick one......

For this duck recipe, an overnight brining will help keep the meat moist, and will remove a bit of the gamey flavor.

Apple Smoked Duck Breast

Remove the bone and skin from the duck breast halves. Rinse well. For the brine, you will need...

1/4 cup kosher salt, or 3 Tbs canning salt
1 bay leaf, crushed
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, cracked

Mix the ingredients, making sure the salt is completely dissolved. This will be enough brine for up to 1 and 1/2 pounds of duck breast halves. Soak the duck in the brine at least two hours, and overnight if possible.

After brining, give the duck a quick rinse and then pat dry with paper towels. Coat each breast half with melted bacon grease.

Place the duck breasts into a 225 degree Fahrenheit meat smoker for one or two hours, depending on the size of the breast sections. Use a small amount of apple or pear wood for the smoke.

Duck is ideally eaten medium rare, but if you prefer well done, take them out when the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees.
I mentioned brining in my previous post, but I've always used the ice salt water for the soak.

I guess I just worded my post wrong. My point was, duck dries out easily if over-cooked and I generally stink at using a smoker. Heck, I used to over-cook steak....that's how bad I am at using a smoker.
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2010   #28
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
TB - I made the duck at Christmas as well. Game at Christmas is a tradition in our family.
Thank God.... I would always get odd looks whenever I told people that.
Old 01-25-2010   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've done all the cooking at Thanksgiving and Christmas for the past 10 years so you get what I choose to cook. Funny thing is folks always worry about the kids and I have to beat them off the venison, ducks, etc. to leave some for the adults.
Old 01-25-2010   #30
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I've done all the cooking at Thanksgiving and Christmas for the past 10 years so you get what I choose to cook. Funny thing is folks always worry about the kids and I have to beat them off the venison, ducks, etc. to leave some for the adults.
I've always thought waterfowl was a holiday tradition too. Back in the day it was a turkey and ducks at Thanksgiving and a goose and ducks at Christmas. Now it's turkey and ducks on both due to not goose hunting anymore.

Additionally, my oldest brother makes an oyster dressing that is out of this World awesome. Fattening as heck, but that's what the holidays are for, no?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read