Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 01-22-2010   #1
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14
Default Grilling Duck

Grilled a lot of dead things, but don't have much experience with grilling duck. Any tips, receipes?

I know it can dry out pretty quick.

Best tailgaters in the world so I know there has to be something good out there.

Thanks!
JWarren14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Grilling Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Grilled a lot of dead things, but don't have much experience with grilling duck. Any tips, receipes?

I know it can dry out pretty quick.

Best tailgaters in the world so I know there has to be something good out there.

Thanks!
Plenty of experience in baking and grilling duck. Before we go into recipes, is it wild duck?
Old 01-22-2010   #3
JWarren14
Beer Me

Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yup, wild duck.
Old 01-22-2010   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay. Obviously there are jillions of recipes out there you can try, but I'll give you a couple few I've done.

First, is it just breast meat? Or is it the entire bird?

No matter what recipe you choose it is imperative to soak wild duck in order to get most of the gamey flavor out of it. I've used milk, italian dressing, but have found ice salt water to work the best. Allow the birds to soak for an hour to hour and a half. It'll draw the gamey blood from the meat.

Breast meat only recipe:
Mix Worcestershire, olive oil, hot sauce of your choice (I use Franks), garlic and pepper. Marinate the birds in the mixture for an hour minimum (longer the better)

Grill over medium heat around 5 min a side until 160-170 inner temp. I do medium rare which is closer to 160

Breast meat appetizer:
Cut breast filets lengthwise into strips, do the same with a few jalapenos w/o seeds and wrap 1 of each in a half a peice of bacon. You can do the same with dove too.

Whole bird (plucked, gutted, etc) #1:
If not already done, cut down the middle of the back in order to flatten rib cage a little.

After soak, marinate at least an hour (longer the better) in your favorite italian dressing with a little worcestershire and a squirt of lemon.

After marinating you can cram a mixture of minced thyme, rosemary, garlic powder and pepper under the skin. Break open ribs and grill skin side down as flat as possible until golden brown. Flip and grill until desired temp. Again, I do medium rare (160 in breast)

Whole bird (plucked, gutted, etc) #2:
Simple recipe. After soak, lay each bird breast down on a sheet of foil that the bird can be wrapped up in. Cover each bird in your favorite BBQ sauce (I use Baby Rays a lot). Slice an onion into half rings and use about 1/4-1/2 and onion per bird. Sprinkle salt and pepper over each. Wrap each bird where the seam is nice and sealed towards the top (opposite breast). Grill on medium heat until 160.

Those are a couple of my own recipes. I've also used quite a few from here:

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zduck.html

Just remember to ALWAYS soak the birds in a brine or ice salt water for an hour or so. If not, it'll likely taste super gamey and probably ruin your attitude towards duck.
Old 01-22-2010   #5
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Make sure and completely remove the feathers
Old 01-22-2010   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Make sure and completely remove the feathers
Yeah, after plucking and chopping the head, wings and feet off, I normally burn the pinfeathers and furry feathers off with a little propane torch.
Old 01-22-2010   #7
JWarren14
Beer Me

Appreciate the tips and the recipes, I will definitely try at least one of them.

I knew someone would have some good advice.

Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2010   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

MmmmmmmmmMmmmmmmmmMmmmmmmmmm duck. What time should I be over?
Old 01-22-2010   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Appreciate the tips and the recipes, I will definitely try at least one of them.

I knew someone would have some good advice.

The poppers sounded yummy, I have quail meat like that before, really good.
Old 01-22-2010   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
The poppers sounded yummy, I have quail meat like that before, really good.
Yeah, I think the dove are better than the duck in that recipe. I imagine quail would be too. It's been quite a while since I've had quail, but I remember they were good eatin too.
Old 01-22-2010   #11
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey HOUTEX, you like duck meat???
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #12
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

is there an option to smoke it? more tender and less chance to dry out IMO.
Old 01-22-2010   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yeah, I think the dove are better than the duck in that recipe. I imagine quail would be too. It's been quite a while since I've had quail, but I remember they were good eatin too.
On my grill two weeks ago!!
Old 01-22-2010   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
is there an option to smoke it? more tender and less chance to dry out IMO.
Yes, you can absolutely smoke it.
Old 01-22-2010   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Hey Flaming Sparrow, you like duck butter???
Fixed.
Old 01-22-2010   #16
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Fixed.
You like venison and duck meat TB?
Old 01-22-2010   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
You like venison and duck meat TB?
Hell yeah!! In fact, Thanksgiving and Christmas, my family's formal dinner is Turkey and Duck... Love venison too.
Old 01-22-2010   #18
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Hell yeah!! In fact, Thanksgiving and Christmas, my family's formal dinner is Turkey and Duck... Love venison too.
Well, you can duck down and suck ol buck!
Old 01-22-2010   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Well, you can duck down and suck ol buck!
You've confused me with either Flaming Sparrow or Hobie
Old 01-22-2010   #20
Shaft75
Site Contributor

On a serious note, I love any type of game food. I remember when my dad used to chicken fry backstrap. Or when we would eat some bacon wrapped dove.

I'm hungry

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read