Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-21-2010   #1
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans denied permission to interview QB and WR Coach..

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6828263.html

Quote:
The Texans have been denied permission to interview Atlanta quarterbacks coach Billl Musgrave and Miami receivers coach Karl Dorrell.

Coach Gary Kubiak is looking for a quarterbacks coach to replace Kyle Shanahan. Shanahan, the offensive coordinator who also coached quarterbacks, was hired by his father, Mike Shanahan, to be the offensive coordinator at Washington.

Matt LaFleur, an offensive assistant who worked closely with Shanahan the last two seasons, was hired Wednesday to be the Redskins' quarterbacks coach.

Denver offensive line coach Rick Dennison was hired as offensive coordinator to replace Shanahan.

Musgrave would have been a natural fit as the Texans' quarterbacks coach. He coached Matt Schaub at the University of Virginia and with the Falcons. He recommended Schaub to Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith before they acquired him for two second-round draft choices.

Musgrave played at Denver when Kubiak was the offensive coordinator. Dorrell coached the Broncos receivers with Kubiak.
Old 01-21-2010   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans denied permission to interview QB and WR Coach..

This is what happens when you play Mr. nice guy and let all your coaches walk out the door.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010   #3
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Texans denied permission to interview QB and WR Coach..

Quote:
Musgrave played at Denver when Kubiak was the offensive coordinator. Dorrell coached the Broncos receivers with Kubiak.
Of course they did
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Of course they did
I see no problem with that.....without Musgrave we most likely wouldn't have Schaub right now.

Denver also used to do a great job with their receivers under Kubiak/Shannahan

But it doesn't matter now, because Kubaik can't get teams to let him talk to their guys (outside of one idiot coach who's dumping quality coaches left and right)
Old 01-21-2010   #5
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Texans denied permission to interview QB and WR Coach..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I see no problem with that.....without Musgrave we most likely wouldn't have Schaub right now.

Denver also used to do a great job with their receivers under Kubiak/Shannahan

But it doesn't matter now, because Kubaik can't get teams to let him talk to their guys (outside of one idiot coach who's dumping quality coaches left and right)
I have no issue with being Denver South, just kinda' funny some times.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is what happens when you play Mr. nice guy and let all your coaches walk out the door.
The only one they might have "let" walk out the door was LaFleur, since neither Shanny Jr. or Gibbs Sr. were under contract any longer. I don't have any idea what LaFleur's contract status was.

And at worst it's break-even thus far, as Denver let Dennison take the OC job, even though they he was still under contract to them.
Old 01-21-2010   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
The only one they might have "let" walk out the door was LaFleur, since neither Shanny Jr. or Gibbs Sr. were under contract any longer. I don't have any idea what LaFleur's contract status was.

And at worst it's break-even thus far, as Denver let Dennison take the OC job, even though they he was still under contract to them.
LaFleur could've been promoted to QB's coach and then we would only be looking to fill one position here. We did Kyle and Mike a favor by letting him go, we're just nice guys like that.

Oh well, I'll feel much better when we get all these positions filled.......atleast we didn't lose David Gibbs, but I'm sure if Pete wanted him, he would be gone too.
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2010   #8
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LaFleur could've been promoted to QB's coach and then we would only be looking to fill one position here. We did Kyle and Mike a favor by letting him go, we're just nice guys like that.

Oh well, I'll feel much better when we get all these positions filled.......atleast we didn't lose David Gibbs, but I'm sure if Pete wanted him, he would be gone too.
I'm pretty sure you said "dumping quality coaches left and right". So, we dumped a "quality" coach in LaFleur. The rest left because that was their right, not because we're "nice guys".
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010   #9
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 114917 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I'm pretty sure you said "dumping quality coaches left and right". So, we dumped a "quality" coach in LaFleur. The rest left because that was their right, not because we're "nice guys".
He was referring to Josh McFailure as the ***** dumping quality coaches left and right.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I could have typed Matt LaFluer as a thread title and about 3 people on this board would have known who he was (2 of them kin), but now his leaving is somehow a neagtive reflection on the current administration.
Old 01-22-2010   #11
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29606 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I could have typed Matt LaFluer as a thread title and about 3 people on this board would have known who he was (2 of them kin), but now his leaving is somehow a neagtive reflection on the current administration.

R + E + P = brilliant.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #12
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Aint it the truth!

Rep your way.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know who that is, but it really ticks me off that we lost him! If we don't get our *&(&s out of our *(&)&es, I don't know....!....................

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #14
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wan't there a Cowboys TE named LaFluer recently.

I hate the fact I gather Cowboys info simply by living in the DFW. Osmosiss sucks.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would we want the WR coach from Miami? Their WRs have been awful
Old 01-22-2010   #16
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought Shanahan and Gibbs were both no longer under contract when they left. I don't think the Texans can deny permission for a coach to leave if they aren't under contractual obligations.
Old 01-22-2010   #17
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29606 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I don't know who that is, but it really ticks me off that we lost him! If we don't get our *&(&s out of our *(&)&es, I don't know....!....................
Well, but come on. It's possible that Gary liked him, but didn't see a promotion for him in the immediate future. So he let him interview. There's nothing wrong with that. Bosses have to balance keeping their really good people with letting those same people move up in their careers.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #18
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33472 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Of course everyone knows LaFluer. He was amazing in that Dodgeball film. Don't know why he was only coaching....the boy had a rocket arm, should have been viable depth.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read