Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steel B's What I would Do

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
1. I would try to trade with Denver a 2010 3rd and 5th for a sign and trade Kuper and Hillis. Kuper doesn't fit Denvers new power blocking scheme that they are trying to implement. Hillis is the power RB everybody is clamoring for. Denver doesn't really have a use for Hillis.

2. Sign Chester Taylor and Johnny Jolly in FA. Both should be reasonable $ contract FA signings. Taylor is a good RB that has good hands can pick up the blitz and is capable of carrying the ball 20 times a game. He's also very durable. Jolly is a proven vet. and the big bodied run stuffer that this team is lacking. If he is aquitted on the drug charges the Texans should think about bringing Jolly home. Plan B Bring Casey Hampton home.

A proven vet. DT in FA is a must this offseason. This is not the offseason to hope to try to draft a DT that may or may not bust.

In the draft my mock would look something like this

Rd1 Iupati Idaho- Best G in draft,the running game would become a strength instead of a weakness with Kuper and Iupati manning the G positions and the dependable Taylor toting the rock. Look at the Jets to see what a great OL can do for a teams confidence.

Rd2 Amari Spievey CB Iowa- Spievey isn't the fastest CB in the draft although he has good speed,he's always in the right position to make a play. He has good hands and is a great tackler. Norm Parker (his DB Coach) called him the best DB he has ever coached. Parker also coached Bob Sanders. Fall back plan Brandon Ghee.

Rd.4 Robert Johnson S Utah- Johnson is the most underrated saftey in this draft. He is a hard hitting playmaker that is good in coverage (great hands) and is good against the run. The Texans will be lucky if he falls this far in the draft.

Rd.6 Marshall Newhouse G TCU- Big atheletic G he was a 3 yr starter on a really good OL at TCU. played LT. His best years are ahead of him.

Rd.6 Lamarcus Coker RB Hampton- He avg. 7 yds a carry at Tenn. before he was kicked off the team for smokin pot. Transfered to Hampton where in an article I read his coach explained how he had turned his life around and was a team leader. He has Chris Johnson speed nad on a limited basis proved he can play with the big boys of the SEC. He also runs with power like Johnson. At the very least he would be a great KR/PR. The Texans should do their homework on Coker and if he checks out he would be a steal at this point in the draft.

Rd.7 Kade Weston DT Ga.- Big run stuffing DT who was stuck behind 2 really good DT's at Ga. Weston has potential to be a really good player.

I know this will not happen but I think the Texans have to think outside the box this year if Smithiak are going to make up the ground they need to in order to make the playoffs/not get fired.

Let the critiques begin.

1. I would try to trade with Denver a 2010 3rd and 5th for a sign and trade Kuper and Hillis. Kuper doesn't fit Denvers new power blocking scheme that they are trying to implement. Hillis is the power RB everybody is clamoring for. Denver doesn't really have a use for Hillis.

2. Sign Chester Taylor and Johnny Jolly in FA. Both should be reasonable $ contract FA signings. Taylor is a good RB that has good hands can pick up the blitz and is capable of carrying the ball 20 times a game. He's also very durable. Jolly is a proven vet. and the big bodied run stuffer that this team is lacking. If he is aquitted on the drug charges the Texans should think about bringing Jolly home. Plan B Bring Casey Hampton home.

I like these ideas right here. I was on the Hillis band wagon going back to last year. And I've been a fan of Taylor for quite some time. If Peterson hadn't been there he'd easily be one of the better backs in the league for sure. Both would be a nice fit here along with Slaton.

I think your plan would improve this team, good work.

With that said, I disagree that Denver doesn't have use for Hillis. Maybe I just think too highly of him, but I see him as pretty valuable to them. Starting FB/backup RB. Good at running, blocking and receiving. He would be THE answer here though, you got that.

I can't see us drafting Iupati or any O-linemen at #20 barring an elite Tackle dropping. Maybe if we trade down ala Duane Brown pick. Possibly if we can't address the interior OL during FA and Chester/Brisiel can't start. It would be a major NEED pick over BPA.

Great work on the FA acquisitions. I hope we can add some quality guys and it frees up the Draft for us to take BPA that make huge contributions this year!

You are going to give up a third round pick for a RB that is just as likely to be cut as actually make his own team? I like Hillis but there is no way I am giving up that much. Go after Kuper for his RFA compensation 5th rounder and go after Ben Hamilton, another Denver lineman who is a UFA. I would trade a 7th for Hillis and I wouldn't lose much sleep if they declined it.

A proven vet. DT in FA is a must this offseason. This is not the offseason to hope to try to draft a DT that may or may not bust.

In the draft my mock would look something like this

Rd1 Iupati Idaho- Best G in draft,the running game would become a strength instead of a weakness with Kuper and Iupati manning the G positions and the dependable Taylor toting the rock. Look at the Jets to see what a great OL can do for a teams confidence.

Rd2 Amari Spievey CB Iowa- Spievey isn't the fastest CB in the draft although he has good speed,he's always in the right position to make a play. He has good hands and is a great tackler. Norm Parker (his DB Coach) called him the best DB he has ever coached. Parker also coached Bob Sanders. Fall back plan Brandon Ghee.

Rd.4 Robert Johnson S Utah- Johnson is the most underrated saftey in this draft. He is a hard hitting playmaker that is good in coverage (great hands) and is good against the run. The Texans will be lucky if he falls this far in the draft.

Rd.6 Marshall Newhouse G TCU- Big atheletic G he was a 3 yr starter on a really good OL at TCU. played LT. His best years are ahead of him.

Rd.6 Lamarcus Coker RB Hampton- He avg. 7 yds a carry at Tenn. before he was kicked off the team for smokin pot. Transfered to Hampton where in an article I read his coach explained how he had turned his life around and was a team leader. He has Chris Johnson speed nad on a limited basis proved he can play with the big boys of the SEC. He also runs with power like Johnson. At the very least he would be a great KR/PR. The Texans should do their homework on Coker and if he checks out he would be a steal at this point in the draft.

Rd.7 Kade Weston DT Ga.- Big run stuffing DT who was stuck behind 2 really good DT's at Ga. Weston has potential to be a really good player.

I know this will not happen but I think the Texans have to think outside the box this year if Smithiak are going to make up the ground they need to in order to make the playoffs/not get fired.

Let the critiques begin.
At least Hillis can't be too tired from carrying the rock with 13 attempts. I like your 4th round from Utah and he is on my board same round as my second choice. I have Akwasi Owusu-Ansah ahead of him. 6'1" 205lbs 4.48 8 INTS in 2008 and only 2 last season as no QB would throw his side. Good info on Coker as I've not followed him.

Explain why Texans would sign a big DT in any round? Not why you want one but why they would select one.

1. You've obviously been visiting on FF.com. If it can be pulled off this is a good trade.

2. Taylor and Jolly, I like the players but I worry that this, along with signing our own FA's, would cost to much. I know it's going to be an uncapped year due to the CBA expiring but that doesn't mean that owner want to just throw tons of money around for one year. There will be a CBA for the 2011 season and McNair doesn't strike me as the type of owner that wants to spend alot for one year when we are so far away from the Super Bowl.

As for your draft, I think Iupati at #20 is too high. If he goes in the 1st round then it'll most likely be at the very bottom of the 1st. I'd pick a skill position in the 1st round and then an OG or C in the 2nd where the great interior linemen are selected. I like a CB in the 2nd but I think we can do better. I'd go for Cox, Robinson, or Lindley in the 2nd round. If Robert Johnson is there in the 4th then we should run to the podium, I think he'll be gone in the 3rd, but it's possible. I don't understand the pick of Newhouse in the 6th since we picked up a FA OG and one in the 1st round. I like the Weston pick late if he's still available.

1. You've obviously been visiting on FF.com. If it can be pulled off this is a good trade.

2. Taylor and Jolly, I like the players but I worry that this, along with signing our own FA's, would cost to much. I know it's going to be an uncapped year due to the CBA expiring but that doesn't mean that owner want to just throw tons of money around for one year. There will be a CBA for the 2011 season and McNair doesn't strike me as the type of owner that wants to spend alot for one year when we are so far away from the Super Bowl.

As for your draft, I think Iupati at #20 is too high. If he goes in the 1st round then it'll most likely be at the very bottom of the 1st. I'd pick a skill position in the 1st round and then an OG or C in the 2nd where the great interior linemen are selected. I like a CB in the 2nd but I think we can do better. I'd go for Cox, Robinson, or Lindley in the 2nd round. If Robert Johnson is there in the 4th then we should run to the podium, I think he'll be gone in the 3rd, but it's possible. I don't understand the pick of Newhouse in the 6th since we picked up a FA OG and one in the 1st round. I like the Weston pick late if he's still available.
I had Perrish Cox rated high in 2nd and then he was not allowed to play in the bowl game. Does that concern you? I can't find out what he did other than violate team rules.

I like these ideas right here. I was on the Hillis band wagon going back to last year. And I've been a fan of Taylor for quite some time. If Peterson hadn't been there he'd easily be one of the better backs in the league for sure. Both would be a nice fit here along with Slaton.

Taylor, Hillis and Slaton would easly be the best group of RB's that this team has ever had.

The good thing is Taylor doesn't have many miles on him with Peterson getting most of the carries. Smithiak should be able to sign him to a reasonable contract with incentives since he should be the starting RB.

I think your plan would improve this team, good work.

With that said, I disagree that Denver doesn't have use for Hillis. Maybe I just think too highly of him, but I see him as pretty valuable to them. Starting FB/backup RB. Good at running, blocking and receiving. He would be THE answer here though, you got that.

I can't see us drafting Iupati or any O-linemen at #20 barring an elite Tackle dropping. Maybe if we trade down ala Duane Brown pick. Possibly if we can't address the interior OL during FA and Chester/Brisiel can't start. It would be a major NEED pick over BPA.

Great work on the FA acquisitions. I hope we can add some quality guys and it frees up the Draft for us to take BPA that make huge contributions this year!

You may be right about Hillis but I think giving up a 3rd and a 5th is great value for a starting G that doesn't fit the scheme Denvers trying to run. Along with getting a backup RB that only carried the ball 13 times and has said that he wants to be traded.

I think with the combination of Kuper and Iupati (who I consider to be one of the best G to come out of college in a long time) the Ol would be solid for the next 8-10 yrs. This would be the 1st time since this teams inception that it had good young talented players at all positions on the OL. You get this luxury by spending the 20th pick on Iupati.

It's a small price to pay. IMHO

Last edited:
You are going to give up a third round pick for a RB that is just as likely to be cut as actually make his own team? I like Hillis but there is no way I am giving up that much. Go after Kuper for his RFA compensation 5th rounder and go after Ben Hamilton, another Denver lineman who is a UFA. I would trade a 7th for Hillis and I wouldn't lose much sleep if they declined it.

See above post for my reasoning.

In trades sometimes you have to give more than you want give to what you want.

You may be right about Hillis but I think giving up a 3rd and a 5th is great value for a starting G that doesn't fit the scheme Denvers trying to run. Along with getting a backup RB that only carried the ball 13 times and has said that he wants to be traded.

I think with the combination of Kuper and Iupati (who I consider to be one of the best G to come out of college in a long time) the Ol would be solid for the next 8-10 yrs. This would be the 1st time since this teams inception that it had good young talented players at all positions on the OL. You get this luxury by spending the 20th pick on Iupati.

It's a small price to pay. IHO

Good points. Personally, if we add Kuper to the OL I'm perfectly happy with Brisiel/Pitts/Caldwell battling for the other G spot. Additionally, if we get Taylor AND Hillis, I don't address the RB position at all... I go into the draft looking for playmakers. I would love to be in that position... not even having to address your 'biggest' weaknes, the run game.

Denver has the ability to trade for anything they want, they don't have to be stuck with the "suggested" 5th rounder. Just for personal reasons, let's give up the 6th rd pick from San Diego instead of our 5th. That's essentially us having Travis Johnson as part of the trade and it makes it all the better. :)

Edit: I just realized we gave up a 3rd so that pick is out... essentially spent on RB/G, nevermind. my head hurst, good day.

It's a small price to pay. IHO

Hell if you've got Kuper and Iupati at the guard then shift Caldwell back to center...holy cow. It would matter a little less who we added to the RB rotation with the likely push we could get up front.

At least Hillis can't be too tired from carrying the rock with 13 attempts. I like your 4th round from Utah and he is on my board same round as my second choice. I have Akwasi Owusu-Ansah ahead of him. 6'1" 205lbs 4.48 8 INTS in 2008 and only 2 last season as no QB would throw his side. Good info on Coker as I've not followed him.

Explain why Texans would sign a big DT in any round? Not why you want one but why they would select one.

1. If Johnson isn't there a quality S should be available in the 4th rd. This is the deepest S class I've seen in a long time. Johnson is my favorite and I hope he falls this far.

Johnson isn't far behind Thomas in ability. (Yeah I said it)

Dont know anything about Akwasi Owsusu-Ansah but will keep an eye out. Check Coker out if if you get the chance. He's talented and and worth a chance. He seems to have turned his life around. I hope the Texans give up the goodie two shoes routine and give this kid a chance. If he's turned his life around he deserved. The risk/reward on Coker is well worth it. IMO

I want to sign a vet FA and draft a young guy to learn the game and how to prepare like a professional. If a young DT is'nt available draft a DB like Brinkley or Rafeal Priest both are talented guys. One should be available.

I just dont like Cox. He has an attitude like he is the stuff and his play doesn't bacck it up.IMHO He is on the same talent level as Haden or Warren but I dont think he will be near the pro that they will be. Spievey on the other hand is not as talented but he's just a baller who will work harder once he becomes a pro to improve at his craft.

1. I would let Dunta and Pitts walk if it meant getting to sign Taylor and Jolly. I would try to re-sign Walter 3yrs at 9 mil seems about right and Brisiel for backup G money. By letting Dunta and Pitts walk you would actually be saving money on the cap by signing Taylor and Jolly. With the money saved thet probably could even sign M.Floyd or L.Moore in FA. Duntas 10 mil goes along way.

2. I stated my reasons above for drafting Iupati and my thoughts on Johnson and the S position in this draft. I have Spievey as the no.3 rated CB and hope he is available when the Texans pick in the 2nd. You have Cox Lindley etc rated higher. To each his own. Newhouse probably wont be there after the all star games and combine. He is amade for a G in the ZBS. I believe he will test out as one of the fastest OG's at the combine. He was a 3 year starter at a great program and a team leader. A great pick in the 6th rd. IMO

Last edited:
Back