Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-19-2010   #1
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cowboy mediocrity

with the Texans being a target for supposedly being content with their record this season (b.s.), I thought this article was particularly well timed and insightful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems Jones painted himself into a corner by growing a little too excited the week before. That is when he hastily declared, "Can we all together on three say it? The demons are -- what? -- gone!" Yeah, gone for a week. If the Cowboys had eluded what would have been an NFL-record seventh consecutive postseason loss, they went on to Minnesota and extended a road playoff losing streak that has lasted 17 friggin' years. To me, Jones is a fraud when it comes to the excessive hype of his franchise. He wants us to believe the Cowboys are the New York Yankees of pro football, that they are as popular as any sports team in the world, that he built a stadium worthy of their magnitude. Yet, on the field, he's content simply to win his first playoff game in eons even after being blown out in the next game and failing to reach the NFC championship game. The Yankees don't think this way. Manchester United and Real Madrid don't think this way. They fire coaches and managers who don't reach expectations.

Therefore, stop thinking of the Cowboys as America's Team. You can't represent an entire country when three U.S. presidents have served five terms since your last league championship. Shoot, you can't represent an entire country when you're barely the best NFL team in Texas, with the Houston Texans finally shedding their post-expansion rut to become very competitive. If Jones is pleased with Phillips -- who now is 1-5 as a playoff coach with three teams, the first two of whom (Buffalo and San Diego) fired him -- then he's running nothing more than Mediocrity's Team.

http://jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/201...keep-phillips/
Old 01-19-2010   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cowboy mediocrity

This is a pretty bad argument and a pretty useless article in how it is written.

Now if he had made a case for Wade needing to be fired because he isn't a guy to get them to a SB, then I'd agree to some extent. Lay that out for me. But Texans fans just wrote yesterday...PencilNeck...that 9-7 wasn't mediocre because mediocre is actually defined as below average.

Jerry stated that if the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs this year and win a game, Wade was gone. That was the expectations. They got hot and won and then got killed. Wade has won 2 division titles and has gone 33-15 in 3 years. There is nothing medicore about that. What isn't accepted is no SBs.

Mariotti looks stupid for 2 reasons. 1) The Cowboys are the #1 rated franchise and the stadium is considered one of the best and 2) The Yankees kept Joe Torre from 2002 until 2008, 6 season when all they did was win divisions and lost in the playoffs.

Again, I'm no Wade fan but this article was silly

I should tab this thread as an example of what I was talking about in the Viking thread.

As for the realities. The reality is that Wade has a one year option. Considering there could be a lock out after next year and there isn't a reason to extend him or pay another guy a ton for a maybe non-season, I think he is looking at money right now. If he extends Wade, then there is a problem in my book.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-19-2010 at 09:48 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Jay Mariotti is about as bad as Richard Justice in terms of journalism. And yes that is a poor argument, the Cowboys did win their first playoff game in a decade and just happened to run into a pants-shittingly good defense coupled with an above average offense.
Old 01-19-2010   #4
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's a forgone conclusion Wade is back next year and I would not be surprised if he got an extension.

Norv Turner got a 3 year extension this am...
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I think it's a forgone conclusion Wade is back next year and I would not be surprised if he got an extension.

Norv Turner got a 3 year extension this am...
This is where I'd be upset.
Old 01-19-2010   #6
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
This is where I'd be upset.
I'm SHOCKED really that Norv got an extension for that many years. I wish Jerry would make some calls this week and just see who else might be interested?

Heck he's paying Garrett 3 million a year..I KNOW we can do better than him.

Seems Wade needs to feel a LITTLE heat after that piss poor performance the other day.
Old 01-19-2010   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread really needs some graphical representation:

Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2010   #8
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
This thread really needs some graphical representation:

Eh. You should have seen Bob McNair's face after the second Indy game. It made the look Jones is shooting look like a choir boy.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #9
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I truly despise the Dllas Cowboys. I will admit they ahve one kick-@$$ marketing machine. They are popular around the planet for who knows WHAT reason. I'll give them their due.
Jones on the other hand is a leather faced FREAK who should stay in his damned box when his team is winning OR losing. He NEEDS to focus more on the team improving than on how to better market them or showcase them. As much as I HATE the team who lies North on 45 I have SOME respect for them.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I'm SHOCKED really that Norv got an extension for that many years. I wish Jerry would make some calls this week and just see who else might be interested?

Heck he's paying Garrett 3 million a year..I KNOW we can do better than him.

Seems Wade needs to feel a LITTLE heat after that piss poor performance the other day.

Norv gets an extension but Schottenheimer gets canned after 14-2. That came down to a GM liking one guy and hating another.

I can make some of the same arguments against Wade as I did Kubes. Of course players like the guy. He is harmless and they have a pretty cush life as far as coaches being demanding, etc. He has their back all the time too. Wade is a good guy but you need someone to push the buttons here and there. Great defensive mind but no authority over Garrett. If he did, Barber would never have set foot in the game...one point Mariotti got right.

As I said, I think this is financial for Jerry. He'll get his year and we will see what happens with the next year. I also think Wade might be gone but Jerry opened his mouth and threw support behind him after the game. Of course he did that with TO and then cut him. I wish he would make calls.
Old 01-19-2010   #11
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Jerry stated that if the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs this year and win a game, Wade was gone. That was the expectations. They got hot and won and then got killed. Wade has won 2 division titles and has gone 33-15 in 3 years. There is nothing medicore about that. What isn't accepted is no SBs.
so achieving the minimum is acceptable too Jones is what Mariotti is stating here, which is contrary to what you have stated the Dallas goal is each year.

dunno...I suppose the article makes as much sense as you spending the last 30-40 days on a tirade against the Texans ownership supposedly being acceptable of a 9-7 record. When I see McNair at practices, games, and the knowledge that he has direct weekly meetings with his GM and coach, that shows an owner not being content with making money, but one obsessed with winning. you agree?
Old 01-19-2010   #12
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
with the Texans being a target for supposedly being content with their record this season (b.s.)
We are not content with 9-7. I hate hearing that, it is bs and it's a milestone for the franchise to build on for next year.

Didn't mean to change the topic but it has been bugging me.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
We are not content with 9-7. I hate hearing that, it is bs and it's a milestone for the franchise to build on for next year.

Didn't mean to change the topic but it has been bugging me.
I don't think Silver Oak is saying we are content with 9-7. I believe he is just pointing out that Houston Frog has stated over and over that the Texans way of thinking is to accept mediocrity and that with Cowboys it's Super Bowl or nothing.

Many people in that thread said they are cool with the baby steps if it means brining a championship to Houston one day.

I agree with Silver Oak though. If Dallas doesn't accept mediocrity and mediocrity is defined by Dallas as a winning record with no Super Bowl, then Wade should be gone. That's the ruling for Kubes by Cowboy standards right?
Instead he's getting the same thing that "mediocrity accepting" Houston is giving their coach - one more chance to play out the last year of his contract and using the "improvement" word to back it up - Just like Houston!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

you don't baby step your way to a championship. Teams turn over rosters every 4-5 years or so. The goal is to get into the tournament at the end of the season to give yourself a shot. Every year should be the most important year of the franchise because everyone starts over every year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
you don't baby step your way to a championship. Teams turn over rosters every 4-5 years or so. The goal is to get into the tournament at the end of the season to give yourself a shot. Every year should be the most important year of the franchise because everyone starts over every year.
Well it wasn't the teams goal to baby step this year. Their goal was to get into the tournament at the end of the year. You only have to go to every pre season interview where each player said the season would be disappointing if they didn't make the playoffs. I seriously doubt anyone in that locker room, coaches included, said our goal is to be competitive and be at least 9-7.

However, at the end of your season you do go and evaluate your season. Meaning, what are some things we can build on what are some things that hurt us. I would like to think that you can look back on this season and see enough improvement that says to give it one more try with who we have now.

Trust me, if Kubes pulled another 8-8 season I'd be the first on the list of people to see him gone. Heck, I was actually on that list after the second Jville game. Reevaluating the season though made me say "not so fast" though.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Well it wasn't the teams goal to baby step this year. Their goal was to get into the tournament at the end of the year. You only have to go to every pre season interview where each player said the season would be disappointing if they didn't make the playoffs. I seriously doubt anyone in that locker room, coaches included, said our goal is to be competitive and be at least 9-7.

However, at the end of your season you do go and evaluate your season. Meaning, what are some things we can build on what are some things that hurt us. I would like to think that you can look back on this season and see enough improvement that says to give it one more try with who we have now.

Trust me, if Kubes pulled another 8-8 season I'd be the first on the list of people to see him gone. Heck, I was actually on that list after the second Jville game. Reevaluating the season though made me say "not so fast" though.
they were waaaaay to happy with 9-7. The smiles and the elation just turned me off when they beat the Pats. THIS year they were better than the Ratbirds and could have played the Colts better than they did, but the Ratbirds wanted it more I guess. The team should have made it THIS year. Hell, Cushing and Mario could both hurt their knees next season...you never know. This team needs to learn how to seize the moment and play with a sense of urgency BEFORE the elimination games. I find this thread title immensely ironic coming from this fan base. I wish our fan base had more pride than this but it is what it is.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #17
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
As much as I truly despise the Dllas Cowboys. I will admit they ahve one kick-@$$ marketing machine. They are popular around the planet for who knows WHAT reason. I'll give them their due.
Jones on the other hand is a leather faced FREAK who should stay in his damned box when his team is winning OR losing. He NEEDS to focus more on the team improving than on how to better market them or showcase them. As much as I HATE the team who lies North on 45 I have SOME respect for them.
Honey....honey..honey....Jerry is NEVER EVER going to quit marketing the Cowboys. That's what makes him tick. He's quite good at it and why he's a billionaire.

The Cowboys were losing money when Jerry purchased them. They had an indifferent owner in Bright.

If I had the power and could go the "I Dream of Jeanie" poof I'd put Stephen in charge of the FOOTBALL and let Jerry market his heart out.

Jerry's problem is he excels at one and is borderline bad at the other.

He'd never be a GM on any other team but that's a moot point to him. He's owns the darn thing.
Old 01-19-2010   #18
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
so achieving the minimum is acceptable too Jones is what Mariotti is stating here, which is contrary to what you have stated the Dallas goal is each year.

dunno...I suppose the article makes as much sense as you spending the last 30-40 days on a tirade against the Texans ownership supposedly being acceptable of a 9-7 record. When I see McNair at practices, games, and the knowledge that he has direct weekly meetings with his GM and coach, that shows an owner not being content with making money, but one obsessed with winning. you agree?
As I said, that is what "Mariotti" is stating. Jones never said it was acceptable in all that I read. He only said that for Wade to save his job he had to go on a run. Jerry may be saying it was a nice season now to save face but he was quoted all year as saying they had a team to make the SB.

Your first statement in paragraph #2 makes no sense. First of all, having a difference of opinion isn't a "tirade." Secondly, my point was never a direct comparison to the Cowboys. I used Cowboy fans/franchise, Colts fans/franchise, Steeler fans/franchise, etc as an example as how 9-7 is not something to celebrate and that it would not be accepted. Wade would be fired at 9-7. It was laid out there. I also never said McNair never wanted to win. I stated that he seemed content at times with sellouts and the money rolling in as long as he kept his good, stable image and the team was doing alright. That includes keeping Carrs and Kubiaks for a little longer than needed. That is my opinion on it. If you want my real opinion I just don't know if he knows what his next step would be without Kubes...not really a football guy.... so he is more content to stay the course.

You wrote this, as your subject states, to prove Cowboy mediocrity and it really just failed when you look at the definition. What is funny is that alot of the Texans fanbase feels the same as I, yet you pick me to go after...or Cowboy fans. Thus the Philly avatar and the Viking avatar. To me that is a sad statement.

Quote:
they were waaaaay to happy with 9-7. The smiles and the elation just turned me off when they beat the Pats. THIS year they were better than the Ratbirds and could have played the Colts better than they did, but the Ratbirds wanted it more I guess. The team should have made it THIS year. Hell, Cushing and Mario could both hurt their knees next season...you never know. This team needs to learn how to seize the moment and play with a sense of urgency BEFORE the elimination games. I find this thread title immensely ironic coming from this fan base. I wish our fan base had more pride than this but it is what it is.
Read this Silver. Same thing from a Texans fan. Go to the Cowboy v Viking thread and read the last page. Just stop trying to pigeon hole me because I am a Cowboy fan who wants what alot of other Texans fans want....a product with a mindset that isn't built like an expansion team but of one that should be competing for larger things.
Old 01-19-2010   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
So what exactly did you want to see from the team when they beat the Pats, mass suicide because the possibility they wouldn't make the post season was large?

I could understand if players and coaches were giving interviews and press conferences talking about how great of a season we had (which I never saw anything like that) and that they were happy with where they were.
Old 01-19-2010   #20
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I don't think Silver Oak is saying we are content with 9-7. I believe he is just pointing out that Houston Frog has stated over and over that the Texans way of thinking is to accept mediocrity and that with Cowboys it's Super Bowl or nothing.

Many people in that thread said they are cool with the baby steps if it means brining a championship to Houston one day.

I agree with Silver Oak though. If Dallas doesn't accept mediocrity and mediocrity is defined by Dallas as a winning record with no Super Bowl, then Wade should be gone. That's the ruling for Kubes by Cowboy standards right?
Instead he's getting the same thing that "mediocrity accepting" Houston is giving their coach - one more chance to play out the last year of his contract and using the "improvement" word to back it up - Just like Houston!
I was agreeing with Silver Oak as far as us being content with 9-7. We are not.

The Cardinals finished the season 9-7 last year but struggled down the stretch with that record but still made it to the playoffs and eventually the SB, the Texans on the other hand had a 4 game winning streak to finish out the year strong. It will also be good going into next year and we will go into the year with some swagger. We still need help in the trenches. JMO

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read