Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-18-2010   #1
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jets, luckiest playoff team ever?

Week 16, Colts are up in the 3rd quarter. In an effort to not risk injury, Colts bench most of their starters the rest of the game and the Jets are able to come back and win. Their playoff hopes are kept alive.

Week 17, Bengals have nothing to play for. Some starters don't even suit up, many starters are out of the game by the 3rd quarter. Jets rout the Bengals, but Bengals clearly weren't playing to win from the start.

Wild Card Game, Bengals kicker misses two chip-shot field-goals. That last Bengals drive could have been totally different if they had 3 mins with only a 4 point deficit, instead of being down 10.

2nd Round, Chargers All-Pro kicker misses three field goals! Making at least one of those would have brought the game at least into overtime.

I think the Jets are a good team... and I'm hoping they beat the Colts this weekend (punishment to the Colts for not taking care of the Jets in Week 16). But doesn't it seem like the Jets are getting these wins handed to them, instead of simply beating the other team?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jets, luckiest playoff team ever?

Scoreboard.

Many winning (and losing) teams can look back at a handful of plays that made a difference. The Jets are not special in that regard.
Old 01-18-2010   #3
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 6809 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope they win it all.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #4
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes they are.

I hope the Colts kill them because if they find a way to win they will not have a prayer against the Saints or Vikings!
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
I hope the Colts kill them because if they find a way to win they will not have a prayer against the Saints or Vikings!
if they beat the Colts, i'd think they'd have a great shot against the Saints or Vikings
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #6
Phace786
Rookie

Luck is the name of the game sometimes.

It would be potentially epic to see the Jets beat the Colts. Karma is a b!tch.
Phace786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 118233 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
if they beat the Colts, i'd think they'd have a great shot against the Saints or Vikings
Actually, I think the Vikings would be one of the last teams the Jets would fair well against. The Vikings are one of the best at stopping the run, but might be vulnerable to the pass if the rush is unable to get to the QB. Can Sanchez beat them in the air? Doubt it
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2010   #8
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The jets luck will run out this coming weekend. Credit to them for making it to the championship game though, they did get some breaks along the way but have shows a lot of fight. I just don't think they stand a chance against the dolts.
Old 01-19-2010   #9
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Jets, luckiest playoff team ever?

I always felt the luckiest team ever was the Denver Broncos during the Elway years. I had never seen a team get so many bounces go their way, be it fumbles or bad breaks by their opponents. They seemed to always get slapped around (outrushed, outpassed, TOP), but still ended up on the plus side of the scoreboard. I never could cheer for them. I don't recall the Yankees or Lakers winning that way.

Actually, the Colts reminded me of them a few times this year (against Miami, the Texans, Ed Reed's interception). At the risk of sounding negative, I'm expecting more meltdowns a la Rosenfels against them for the next few years anyway. That said, I'll still be cheering for the Jets on Sunday.
Old 01-19-2010   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Just for giggles:

Trent Dilfer's "best season a by a QB ever" superbowl season

Code:
YEAR	TEAM 	G 	CMP 	ATT 	PCT 	YDS 	AVG 	TD 	LNG 	INT 	RAT
2000	BAL	11 	134 	226 	59.3 	1502 	6.6 	12 	59 	11 	76.6
Mark Sanchez "Eat hot dogs, hand off, watch Braylon drop a pass" CCG season:

Code:
2009	NYJ	15 	196 	364 	53.8 	2444 	6.7 	12 	65 	20 	63.0
Mark Sanchez will just replace Dilfer for the whole "You don't need a QB" argument.
Old 01-19-2010   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Just for giggles:

Trent Dilfer's "best season a by a QB ever" superbowl season

Code:
2000	BAL	11 	134 	226 	59.3 	1502 	6.6 	12 	59 	11 	76.6
Mark Sanchez "Eat hot dogs, hand off, watch Braylon drop a pass" CCG season:

Code:
2009	NYJ	15 	196 	364 	53.8 	2444 	6.7 	12 	65 	20 	63.0
Mark Sanchez will just replace Dilfer for the whole "You don't need a QB" argument.
Frankly I am a little tired of the fawning over rookie QBs who are lucky enough to go to good teams. Sanchez did zilch for that team, nada. 12 TDs with 20 INTs. Flacco as the uber rookie last year. HWWNBN put up stats very similar to Sanchez on a truly suck offense to which he was a contributing factor. Sanchez should be regarded as having held his team back rather than lauded after they carried him. Decent QB play and they aren't oozing into the playoffs with lay down wins.
Old 01-20-2010   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

double post conundrum
Old 01-20-2010   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Frankly I am a little tired of the fawning over rookie QBs who are lucky enough to go to good teams. Sanchez did zilch for that team, nada. 12 TDs with 20 INTs. Flacco as the uber rookie last year. HWWNBN put up stats very similar to Sanchez on a truly suck offense to which he was a contributing factor. Sanchez should be regarded as having held his team back rather than lauded after they carried him. Decent QB play and they aren't oozing into the playoffs with lay down wins.
To be fair, Rex Ryan has pretty much game planned his first two playoff games as a HC about as perfectly as you can with the talent he has. As much as it stung watching the Texans get spanked down by them, and as obnoxious as some Jets fans are, I gotta give the guy credit he's not making a ton of rookie mistakes during crunch time.

But yeah, Sanchez does not look like a good QB at all, and I'm pretty sure that the only people saying his performance is anything but poor are the rabid fans. Seems like a nice guy though.

EDIT: I never thought much of Flacco, but I think he's done much much better this year, even with a switch at LT and having dead bodies catching his ball.
Old 01-20-2010   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

one of the luckiest teams ever just to be in the playoffs.

Last edited by Scooter; 01-21-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
To be fair, Rex Ryan has pretty much game planned his first two playoff games as a HC about as perfectly as you can with the talent he has.
I wasn't talking about the Jets at all and was only using Sanchez as the most recent example. Just to be clear.
Old 01-20-2010   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
it wont change my opinion however that rex ryan is opening what was exceptionally giftwrapped, nor will it change the imminent implosion.
if only all new coaches were so lucky to be gift-wrapped a team with the 29th ranked pass defense and a rookie quarterback. why, it's like he's done nothing at all!
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Jamarcus Russell had better stats his first year than Sanchez

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read