Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-18-2010   #1
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Final Four - thoughts?

Indy - I'd rather have them than the Jets simply to cut down on the "see other new coaches can do it" threads. Other than that, don't care. Although it would be great if they won the super bowl because that would make sweeping them next year even sweeter.

Jets - see "Indy", simply don't care really.

Vikings - Please no, lose this weekend. If Farve goes to the Super Bowl that's all you're going to hear for the two weeks prior to the Super Bowl on ALL sports stations. Yech. Although it would be nice if Sage gets himself a nice ring.

New Orleans - I'd like to see them win it all this year for no other reason than they've never been and that would be nice. And it would keep Farve out of the news for a few weeks. Maybe.

Prediction: Indy and NO in the Super Bowl.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Final Four - thoughts?

you pretty much summed up my feelings on it!
Old 01-18-2010   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

You pretty much summed up my feelings on all this except I would add that New Orleans going to the Super Bowl would invite all the Reggie Bush should've been the #1 pick stuff again. Heck, it's already starting in La. with some pictures and stuff just for this one game he had.

I do have to agree though. New Orleans in the Super Bowl would allow me to have hope that one day I will get to see the promise land with my favorite football team. Remember when Saints and playoff/Superbowl talk weren't ever in the same sentence unless the word 'never' was a part of that sentence or unless it was because the Super Bowl was being held in the Super Dome?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #4
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Saints/Colts. Home field advantage.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #5
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Rep Power: 7456 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

Colts vs Saint, Feb 7th. Book it!
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66536 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll throw this out there for all those wondering if Kharma (In the form of the NY Jets) will bite the Colts in the behind.

If the Colts had beaten the Jets, then the Jets would have been sitting at home the last two weeks, and there's a very good chance that the AFC Title game would be the Colts v Chargers. The Chargers have historically matched up extremely well against the Colts, and in fact, have ousted them from the playoffs the two years prior to this.

While it's not a ridiculous notion that the Jets could take the AFC Title this coming Sunday, and while I disagreed with the decision to sit Peyton at the end of the Jets game (and it had nothing to do with the Texans), right now, I'm thinking that the unintended consequences that came out of that decision are looking pretty bright for the Colts.
Old 01-18-2010   #7
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I would think the Colts will be throwing alot to Dallas Clark and those other new receivers..guessing Revis will be on Reggie Wayne. I also think they'll do alot of no huddle to see if they can beat the Jets pass rush.
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2010   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66536 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I would think the Colts will be throwing alot to Dallas Clark and those other new receivers..guessing Revis will be on Reggie Wayne. I also think they'll do alot of no huddle to see if they can beat the Jets pass rush.
FWIW, I was listening to an interview with one of the Jets radio broadcasters either right before or right after the Wild Card playoff game, and in looking ahead to another possible matchup with the Colts, he made the comment that Reggie Wayne probably gave Revis more trouble (at least during the part of the game that the Colts were actually trying) than any other receiver Revis had faced this year.

That should be a great match up to watch on Sunday.
Old 01-18-2010   #9
WWJD
Hall of Fame

That will probably be the best matchup in the game...

maybe the Colts go right after Revis with Wayne...

I think Dallas Clark will be the "go to" guy though.

I don't think Sanchez scares them at all...probably be another game where he throws 15 times and that's it.
Old 01-18-2010   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Indy - I'd rather have them than the Jets simply to cut down on the "see other new coaches can do it" threads. Other than that, don't care. Although it would be great if they won the super bowl because that would make sweeping them next year even sweeter.

Jets - see "Indy", simply don't care really.

Vikings - Please no, lose this weekend. If Farve goes to the Super Bowl that's all you're going to hear for the two weeks prior to the Super Bowl on ALL sports stations. Yech. Although it would be nice if Sage gets himself a nice ring.

New Orleans - I'd like to see them win it all this year for no other reason than they've never been and that would be nice. And it would keep Farve out of the news for a few weeks. Maybe.

Prediction: Indy and NO in the Super Bowl.

I feel the same on the Jets/Colts game. I don't like either team. They can just beat the hell out of each other for all I care.

I'm also going for the Saints, but there's a small part of me hoping Favre and the Vikes win. If Favre wins he'll likely retire for good, right? As much as I like him.......No more Favre watch....PLEASE!!
Old 01-18-2010   #11
WWJD
Hall of Fame

I don't think it makes any difference whether the Vikes win or lose this wkend. I think Brett will still do his waffling act anyway. Well the Saints beat us and I'm old and I need to retire...no wait I had a career year and so what if I'm old? I can still play!

I think we'll just see more of the same from Brett.
Old 01-18-2010   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I don't think it makes any difference whether the Vikes win or lose this wkend. I think Brett will still do his waffling act anyway. Well the Saints beat us and I'm old and I need to retire...no wait I had a career year and so what if I'm old? I can still play!

I think we'll just see more of the same from Brett.
I'm sick to death of hearing Farve this and Farve that. I wish the media would leave it alone and give us a break. As far as Farve the QB goes, he can still pass with the best of them. You have to give him that.

Did I just say something nice about Farve? I'm throwing my keyboard away after that.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I feel the same on the Jets/Colts game. I don't like either team. They can just beat the hell out of each other for all I care.

I'm also going for the Saints, but there's a small part of me hoping Favre and the Vikes win. If Favre wins he'll likely retire for good, right? As much as I like him.......No more Favre watch....PLEASE!!
Let me ask you this - Hate him or love him, unless they're Packer/Bear/Lions fans, why do folks want Favre to retire so much? I understand not liking the Annual Brett Favre traveling side-show/mowing exhibition/High school throwing display/Wrangler fashion show, but if you still believe he's got the skills (and it's hard for me to say he doesn't), why do you want to see a legend (who BTW likely poses no threat whatsoever to your favorite team) hang 'em up?

I feel the same way about Kurt Warner, Ed Reed, and any other Hall of Famer or borderline Hall of Famer out there who's considering retirement. I'm selfish - if you want to play another year, and allow me to continue to watch one of the best to ever play the position, who am I to argue, or wish that you wouldn't? At no point do I ever expect to utter the phrase "I sure wish I had the chance to watch more Sage Rosenfels/Tarvaris Jackson/Matt Leinart/Whoever Ed Reed's backup is" when these guys can still play the game.
Old 01-18-2010   #14
WWJD
Hall of Fame

I like Brett..think he's a nice ole country boy and all that but he's spoiled rotten and at his age that's not gonna change.

He's use to being on a real big ole national pedestal.

That's got to be hard to give up. I think last year when he realized what "retirement" really meant in the end he just couldn't walk away from all that attention.

I expect more this offseason from him whether he makes the SB or not!
Old 01-18-2010   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping that Either Breesus or Favre wins the ring. Peyton is Peyton and I'd love watch him trash the Rex Ryan blitz scheme, but for some reason I just love Favre now for the epic trolling he's done to the entire NFL for the past two off-seasons. And of course:

Old 01-18-2010   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Let me ask you this - Hate him or love him, unless they're Packer/Bear/Lions fans, why do folks want Favre to retire so much? I understand not liking the Annual Brett Favre traveling side-show/mowing exhibition/High school throwing display/Wrangler fashion show, but if you still believe he's got the skills (and it's hard for me to say he doesn't), why do you want to see a legend (who BTW likely poses no threat whatsoever to your favorite team) hang 'em up?

I feel the same way about Kurt Warner, Ed Reed, and any other Hall of Famer or borderline Hall of Famer out there who's considering retirement. I'm selfish - if you want to play another year, and allow me to continue to watch one of the best to ever play the position, who am I to argue, or wish that you wouldn't? At no point do I ever expect to utter the phrase "I sure wish I had the chance to watch more Sage Rosenfels/Tarvaris Jackson/Matt Leinart/Whoever Ed Reed's backup is" when these guys can still play the game.
I suppose I could've been a little more clear. As I've said in previous Favre threads, I love the guy and the way he plays the game. I wouldn't have a problem if he did decided to play next season. However, like you mentioned, make the decision and stick with it.

I reckon it's the saga brought forth by the media every year that makes me feel that way. If he makes the decision within a few weeks after the season....I'm all for it.
Old 01-18-2010   #17
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see the Jets actually beat Indy because 1) I hate Indy and am sick to death of the greatest QB ever and the announcers drooling over him the whole freaking game. Yes, we know he's the greatest. You don't have to say it after EVREY FREAKING PLAY!! And 2) for Indy not eliminating the Jets when they had the chance. Sure, I'm biased because it would have put the Texans in, but even if it didn't, you don't want to face a team in the playoffs with that kind of defense. You take them out when you can.

So I would love to see Indy not only NOT get a perfect season but get bounced from even going to the Super Bowl as well.

The worst SB matchup, as far as 2 weeks worth of storylines before the game will be the Colts and Vikings. Nothing but Favre/Manning being shoved down our throats for 2 LOOOOONG weeks.

I'm on the Saints bandwagon and am rooting for a Jets/Saints SB, with New Orleans taking it in convincing fashion.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #18
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see the Colts and Vikings in the SB.

1) I'm just not a fan of this Jets team at all.
2) You just have to respect the way Manning plays the QB position. He's the best in my book.
3) I wouldn't mind seeing the Saints go just because they've never been, but I've always been a Favre fan and would love to see him get one more SB ring.
Old 01-18-2010   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope the Vikings win the whole thing so you Favre-haters get another whole off-season to choke on his hype.

The dude is good for the NFL and he's a joy to watch while we still have him.
Old 01-18-2010   #20
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I disclaim this post in saying I haven't gotten to watch much of the NFL this year, but just my thoughts from watching what I have, as well as last week's playoff action:

The Jets are arguably the "team to beat" in my mind. They are the clear underdog but they play a great defense, a great run game and a "good enough" QB. The Colts and particularly Peyton Manning can beat any one but that is going to be one tough game.

I haven't seen the Saints win convincingly against a good team recently so I have to lean toward the Vikings with the edge in a shootout, especially given their pass rush.

I'd also like to end with a disclaimer saying I really have no idea, but it's fun to throw my guess out there too This has been one of the more enjoyable NFL playoffs in my recent memory, so I look forward to another week of it to come!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read