Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-18-2010   #1
Rush23
Rookie

Rep Power: 73 Rush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Top 10 Greatest Football Movies Ever Made

Dell's recent list was the Top 10 Greatest Football movies ever. Wanted to get everybody's thoughts on the list, do you agree with it? What movies should be higher? What movies should have been included in the Top 10?

Personally, I think Varsity Blues should be a little higher. Easily my favorite football movie, high school Quarterback who faces the adversity of "high school politics" in Texas football. Plus the blonde chick's whipped cream bikini

http://www.virtualsportsnet.com/2010...otball-movies/
Rush23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top 10 Greatest Football Movies Ever Made

Terrible list if you ask me.

Varsity Blues?? Give me a break.

Wildcats? Decent movie for it's time and all, but not a top ten at all. Not even close.

Radio?? Come on!

The most underrated football movie that most people don't even know about is Everybody's All American with Dennis Quaid and John Goodman. That's a classic.

Where is Rudi on this list?

I also liked Johnny Be Good back in the day, although I'm probably in the minority on that one.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #3
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

Wildcats? Decent movie for it's time and all, but not a top ten at all. Not even close.

Radio?? Come on!

The most underrated football movie that most people don't even know about is Everybody's All American with Dennis Quaid and John Goodman. That's a classic.

I also liked Johnny Be Good back in the day, although I'm probably in the minority on that one.
Rudi not on the list but Rudy is #1 on the list. Wildcats didn't make the Top 10, it was second string.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #4
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Varsity Blues should be in top 3!
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
Rudi not on the list but Rudy is #1 on the list. Wildcats didn't make the Top 10, it was second string.
I never get tired of Rudi man. That's a classic. Great movie about a hard working blue over achiever in life. The coverage about ND and their history and traditions was great as well in that flick. That's what I call a film. Not a movie.
Old 01-18-2010   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Radio?? Come on!

Completely forgot about this movie..you're right it should be on the list somewhere in the top 5..but i have to disagree with you on varsity blues that was a cool movie. & rudy is # 1 on the list..

but any given sunday should be higher up as well..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #7
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

longest yard. the old one. football movies tend to be pretty shitty.
Old 01-18-2010   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Completely forgot about this movie..you're right it should be on the list somewhere in the top 5..but i have to disagree with you on varsity blues that was a cool movie. & rudy is # 1 on the list..

but any given sunday should be higher up as well..
Man, I just thought Varsity Blues was cheezy. Way to Disneyish for me. That actor from Dawson's Creek that played the QB seemed way to soft. And that whiney fat kid on the team got on my nerves.

I did like John Voit in in it though. He's one of my favorite actors.

I'm glad that Remember The Titans was on there though.
Old 01-18-2010   #9
Ckw

Blindside should be top 5.
Old 01-18-2010   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Blindside should be top 5.
I heard that was great.
Old 01-18-2010   #11
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Not even a mention of The Best of Times. One of my favorites.

Jack Dundee(played by Robin Williams): You better watch it, Dr. Death! I'm pretty damn fast for a Caucasian.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #12
Ckw

Quote:
I heard that was great.
It was stellar. Definitely check it out. Great acting and a great, heartwarming story. Has a little bit of a Rudy vibe to it IMO.
Old 01-18-2010   #13
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
Not even a mention of The Best of Times. One of my favorites.

Jack Dundee(played by Robin Williams): You better watch it, Dr. Death! I'm pretty damn fast for a Caucasian.
I have to agree that is also one of my favorites......"He's wearing his white shoes!"
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #14
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 121 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sorry, how is the replacements not in the top 10?

<keanu> I know football. Whoa </keanu>
Line_Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Great list if for no other reason it didn't so much as mention Jerry Mcguire.

The reason most movies about football suck is because they're not about football.
Old 01-18-2010   #16
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh.

Where's Necessary Roughness?

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #17
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line_Producer View Post
I'm sorry, how is the replacements not in the top 10?

<keanu> I know football. Whoa </keanu>
<trebek>for the last time, no you don't</trebek>

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #18
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

I'll have to suggest that people check out EVERYBODY'S ALL AMERICAN. Most people probably have never heard about this film and I never would have if my dad didn't make me watch it as a kid. It's a great movie with Dennis Quaid as the star college football player. It takes place back in the day during the civil rights movement and has a great case of actors in it as well.

Like I said, it's not a widely well known football movie, but it's one of the best.
Old 01-18-2010   #19
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

North Dallas 40 did not even get an honorable mention?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #20
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Great list if for no other reason it didn't so much as mention Jerry Mcguire.

The reason most movies about football suck is because they're not about football.
For me they suck b/c the live action football doesn't look authentic enough. The qb either throws like a girl or you can clearly see the actor/stunt person shying away from contact when a tackle is being made. I don't mind so the alternate story lines as long as they're well developed.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read