Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-19-2010   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69966 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible 1st round draft picks for the Texans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
there is no such thing as a luxury pick if that said person improves a position on the team, that's an upgrade which is what it's all about
True
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #22
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
there is no such thing as a luxury pick if that said person improves a position on the team, that's an upgrade which is what it's all about
I think what he meant was that WR isn't really a position of need (assuming we have the same players on the roster). The thought that if you're addressing a position that doesn't need to be addressed, then it could be considered a luxury pick. That you're succeeding with with what you have now and that it could actually be considered a strength. With that said, I'm a believer that you upgrade a position/your team any way you can. Who knows if you're going to have the same opportunity over the next few years. If you're getting a superstar like Andre Johnson... that would be huge!

There's one draft theory about building a 'super unit'. It could be about building a team, in general. But instead of getting above average, quality guys all around. You stock up on extremely great talent at one position. You build a super unit that forces opposing teams to spend the vast majority of their time gameplanning against and still having trouble defeating it. With this theory, and going back to your original post.... it wouldn't be a luxury pick at all. It would be a necessity to get your team to the level you want!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #23
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

It's really a moot discussion. Bryant is already being touted as better than Crabtree was last year, he's a virtual lock to go in the top 10.

That said, we really have Andre Johnson and a bunch of guys. DA and Jacoby will obviously be here, barring trade. But, Walter is a FA and Andre Davis is a prime candidate to be cut given the CBA situation. Unless you're sold on Jacoby as a number 2, which I'm not, there's absolutely no reason you'd pass up a premiere talent like Dez Bryant simply because you have other (or even greater) needs.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #24
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69966 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I think what he meant was that WR isn't really a position of need (assuming we have the same players on the roster). The thought that if you're addressing a position that doesn't need to be addressed, then it could be considered a luxury pick. That you're succeeding with with what you have now and that it could actually be considered a strength. With that said, I'm a believer that you upgrade a position/your team any way you can. Who knows if you're going to have the same opportunity over the next few years. If you're getting a superstar like Andre Johnson... that would be huge!

There's one draft theory about building a 'super unit'. It could be about building a team, in general. But instead of getting above average, quality guys all around. You stock up on extremely great talent at one position. You build a super unit that forces opposing teams to spend the vast majority of their time gameplanning against and still having trouble defeating it. With this theory, and going back to your original post.... it wouldn't be a luxury pick at all. It would be a necessity to get your team to the level you want!

The Texans should build a super unit on offense. If you upgrade the offense the defense is good enough to win with. With a few tweaks.

I believe the only way to beat the Mannings is to develop an offense that can score points with the Colts. A great offense also keeps Manning off the field. Thereby limiting his effectiveness.

The Texans defense is almost on par with the Colts defense. IMO

Smithiak need to upgrade the offense. IMO
Old 01-20-2010   #25
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The Texans should build a super unit on offense. If you upgrade the offense the defense is good enough to win with. With a few tweaks.

I believe the only way to beat the Mannings is to develop an offense that can score points with the Colts. A great offense also keeps Manning off the field. Thereby limiting his effectiveness.

To keep Manning off the field we need to improve our run game and O-line, not take a top receiver in the first round.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #26
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

I'd be onboard with it. We've got a really good offense right now, a few key additions and I think we'd be really great. Obviously getting the running game is a KEY instruement in having a great offense as well as keeping Manning off the field. With our team, I am also in favor of the pass to set up the run strategy... because it works. Our strength is the passing game. We had the 30th ranked rushing offense last year... only ahead of who? San Diego and Indianapolis. With that rushing game... we still successfuly passed the ball! Teams KNEW what we were doing and couldn't stop us!

In our case we've got a great passing game. We should pass pass pass. What happens is that the opposing defenses will consistently have an extra DB in to cover the pass and one less LB or guy on the DL. And that's when its easier to run successfully against teams than when there are 7-8 in the box, all of whom weigh 250+ and strength is tackling!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
To keep Manning off the field we need to improve our run game and O-line, not take a top receiver in the first round.
Agreed

I would try to trade down.
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2010   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'd be onboard with it. We've got a really good offense right now, a few key additions and I think we'd be really great. Obviously getting the running game is a KEY instruement in having a great offense as well as keeping Manning off the field. With our team, I am also in favor of the pass to set up the run strategy... because it works. Our strength is the passing game. We had the 30th ranked rushing offense last year... only ahead of who? San Diego and Indianapolis. With that rushing game... we still successfuly passed the ball! Teams KNEW what we were doing and couldn't stop us!

In our case we've got a great passing game. We should pass pass pass. What happens is that the opposing defenses will consistently have an extra DB in to cover the pass and one less LB or guy on the DL. And that's when its easier to run successfully against teams than when there are 7-8 in the box, all of whom weigh 250+ and strength is tackling!
Just how great is this Texans offense if Andre Johnson/Matt Schaub or both get hurt? I don't like to think about it but it's a huge drop off either position, thats a fragile thing not discussed but has to be on Kubiak & Rick Smiths mind
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I agree with the premise - and for me fixing the interior OL is a very high priority this offseason -

That didnt help the Fish much earlier this season when they held the rock for over 45 minutes. The Colts managed only 14 total first downs in the game and still managed to put up 27 points and a Win.

Here's the box score from that game.

To beat the Dolts you need to do more than just control the clock - You have to disrupt Pey-Me-A-Ton. Get guy's in his face early and often and
be physical with those recievers , not allow them off the line of scrimmage without some disruption to the route's timing.

Last but not least - You have to continue to put up points even if you are up two or three scores. No lead is safe from that bastard.

Quote:
Just how great is this Texans offense if Andre Johnson/Matt Schaub or both get hurt? I don't like to think about it but it's a huge drop off either position, thats a fragile thing not discussed but has to be on Kubiak & Rick Smiths mind
The same could be said for most any team in the NFL - the drop off from starting QB to the #2 is usually pretty big.
In the case of AJ - he's the teams best player ...

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa465 View Post
True the facts speak for itself... however I bet if Salaam hadn't had knee issues and the arthroscopic surgery, Brown would have been brought along slowly...at that time Kubiak HAD to start Brown.
My memory is Brown was told immediately after being drafted he would start and Salaam mentioned his disappointment in newspaper and on TV. He wanted Kubes to say best person playing would start season. Kubes replied Brown will start. I believe Duane was pulled in 3rd game and Salaam played most of that game but Brown started 4th. May be wrong on that game.
Old 01-20-2010   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
While I agree with the premise - and for me fixing the interior OL is a very high priority this offseason -

That didnt help the Fish much earlier this season when they held the rock for over 45 minutes. The Colts managed only 14 total first downs in the game and still managed to put up 27 points and a Win.

Here's the box score from that game.

To beat the Dolts you need to do more than just control the clock - You have to disrupt Pey-Me-A-Ton. Get guy's in his face early and often and
be physical with those recievers , not allow them off the line of scrimmage without some disruption to the route's timing.

Last but not least - You have to continue to put up points even if you are up two or three scores. No lead is safe from that bastard.

The same could be said for most any team in the NFL - the drop off from starting QB to the #2 is usually pretty big.
It also helps if your grass causes injury to their wide receivers.
Old 01-20-2010   #32
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah but as others have pointed out the drop off at WR is a chasm after AJ and you have to put points on the board with the Colts.

the other things I'd say is yeah, we have to keep up with the Colts no doubt, but would either the Jags or Titans be able to play the kind of ball they'd like to if they are playing from behind consistently? Force them to keep up with our offense and make Garrard and Young throw the ball as opposed to handing the ball of the MJD and Chris Johnson.

Also if we give Schaub another target we don't have to settle for FGs as often and let Brown shank important FGs.

If it was up to me I'd probably take Iupati at G in the first round and not look back, but if, and that's likely a BIG IF, Bryant is still there run up the podium and select the guy. Top off the passing game. Force teams to keep up with our offensive pace.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #33
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post

If it was up to me I'd probably take Iupati at G in the first round and not look back, but if, and that's likely a BIG IF, Bryant is still there run up the podium and select the guy. Top off the passing game. Force teams to keep up with our offensive pace.

Ive stated before that Iupati is my first choice but if Bryant or one of the top safety's happened to still on the board at that time it would most deffinately be a difficult decision

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #34
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like the idea of FS Earl Thomas, or OG Mike Iupati. But I am not going to count out NT Dan Williams, or a CB like Patrick Robinson, or Perrish Cox.

We will just have to see when the cream rises to the top.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #35
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Yeah but as others have pointed out the drop off at WR is a chasm after AJ and you have to put points on the board with the Colts.

the other things I'd say is yeah, we have to keep up with the Colts no doubt, but would either the Jags or Titans be able to play the kind of ball they'd like to if they are playing from behind consistently? Force them to keep up with our offense and make Garrard and Young throw the ball as opposed to handing the ball of the MJD and Chris Johnson.
Also if we give Schaub another target we don't have to settle for FGs as often and let Brown shank important FGs.

I'm not saying that we don't need a WR, I'm just saying to whoever made the original point about keeping Peyton off the field that we would need to improve the run game more than the passing game.

Personally for me I would rather address the defense once again with our first pick. I would love to take Price but I'm too scared of DTs in the first round given our history. My top choice would be Earl Thomas, so hopefully he is still around when we pick. It will largely depend on what teams are thinking about Mays though. I would guess that 2 of the 3 top safeties will be gone by our pick, so it depends if Mays goes before Thomas or not.
Old 01-20-2010   #36
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

I think the chances of Dez being around by our pick are almost none. I can't see Denver passing him up since Marshall will likely be gone this off-season.
Old 01-20-2010   #37
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Since the Kubiak era, the Texans first 2 picks each year have been (DE/LB) (DT/WR) (OT/CB) (LB/DE)

Thats 6 defensive players, and 2 offensive players. Whatever they decide to do, you know at least 1, possibly both will be defenders.

We had major injuries at the OG spot. Dunta Robinson might not be coming back. NT needs help since TJ left the building, and safety has been an issue since day 1.

That makes our biggest needs CB/FS/NT/OG

So it makes the most sense to focus on defense again in rounds 1 and 2.

In rounds 3/4 you can focus on a RB and OL.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #38
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87061 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not saying that we don't need a WR, I'm just saying to whoever made the original point about keeping Peyton off the field that we would need to improve the run game more than the passing game.

Personally for me I would rather address the defense once again with our first pick. I would love to take Price but I'm too scared of DTs in the first round given our history. My top choice would be Earl Thomas, so hopefully he is still around when we pick. It will largely depend on what teams are thinking about Mays though. I would guess that 2 of the 3 top safeties will be gone by our pick, so it depends if Mays goes before Thomas or not.
Exactly. The Texans still have plenty of holes on defense. In this league it's much easier to win consistently with a stout defense and I'd like to see the Texans move into that direction. With Schaub and Johnson out there, the Texans don't need a ton of awsome play makers on offense. They just need a good RB that has good blocking and some other WR's that can get things done.

We've got to stack the defense. I want Earl Thomas. The guy does everything well at Safety, and he'd be the #1 safety coming out if he played another season in college. I want that guy badly if we can get him. I want a top play making safety to play along side of Pollard. If there is a really good CB available then I'd take that as well. I don't like the CB's we have. They're servicable, but that's about it. I wish we could get a better upgrade at DT through free agency or through a trade.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #39
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
So what if Matt Schaub who is now playing in the Pro-Bowl (congratualtions) sustains a grade 3 shoulder seperation, you think the Texans draft board doesn't flip upside down?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #40
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So what if Matt Schaub who is now playing in the Pro-Bowl (congratualtions) sustains a grade 3 shoulder seperation, you think the Texans draft board doesn't flip upside down?
The "What If?" game can be played all day long. You could say this about any position on our team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read