Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Possible 1st round draft picks for the Texans.

Wolf6151

All Pro
I came up with the idea that every week on Sunday evening I'd start a thread about realistic possible draft picks by round. We can each post players that we feel are appropriate for that round and why and what effect they'd have on the Texans.

:texflag: Possible 1st round draft picks for the Texans: (Realistic)

1. Earl Thomas-FS, great speed and ball skills though he lacks some height. I think this guy is a distinct possibility and would make a great ballhawking FS to pair with Pollard thus making our Safety positions set for years to come. He'd be of great help to our CB's.

2. Taylor Mays-FS, this guy is a possiblity but I sure hope that we don't take him since he lacks the ball skills we need in a FS. He seems to go for the big hit and not the interception or pass deflection. He's got great size and speed but I think he'd be a better SS or possibly a WLB.

3. Brian Price-DT, 6'02 and 300 lbs. with good penetration ability and seems to me to be more of an UT than a NT. I think we're looking for a NT since we've already go Okoye at UT. I never saw any UCLA games this year but watched his YouTube highlight videos and was unimpressed. For every good play he made there was one where he's pushed laterally and out of the play. He does seem to fit Kollars system of smaller quicker DT's though.

4. Dan Williams-DT/NT, 6'03" and 325 lbs. possibly gone by the time we pick but maybe not. He'd make a great NT in our system, taking up 2 blockers and freeing up Okoye and Smith to make penetration. I'm tired of spending 1st round picks on the D-line but this guy could solidify our line for years to come.

5. Mike Iupati-OG, 6'05" and 330 lbs. this guy is big which doesn't seem to fit our ZBS system but he is also very agile and fit, he's not a big fat guy taking up space. He also seems to have alot of lower body strength where an OG needs it in his legs. His height worries me though, being tall will allow shorter DT's to get under his pads and stand him up.

6. C.J. Spiller-RB, Kubiak stated that they were going to work on the running game this offseason which means RB's and O-linemen. Now I'm not sure they're ready to give up on Slaton after one bad year but Spiller would be perfect for the one cut and go ZBS system. Great speed and quickness. He's not my personal choice in the 1st round but I wouldn't be against it either.

7. Jonathan Dwyer-RB, some may not agree that he's a possibility in the 1st round but this guy most likely won't be available by the time we pick in the 2nd. He'll probably go later 1st or very early 2nd round. Good speed and a larger size that should allow him to take more of the NFL pounding than Spiller.

8. Trent Williams-OT, the Texans want to improve the running game this offseason so working on the O-line is a distinct possibility in the early part of the draft, he's not LT material but could be a possibility at RT if the Texans were to move Eric Winston to RG. Winston didn't have a great year at RT this season so it's a possibility.

9. Bryan Bulaga-OT, same explanation as Trent Williams but this guy could play either LT or RT thus moving Duane Brown inside to LG, doubtful but it's a possibility.

10. Donovan Warren-CB, I never saw this guy play but he's very highly rated with great speed and we sure need help at CB. This pick all depends on whether or not Dunta stays or leaves. I'd sure like to see an upgrade at CB but this isn't the year for it, there aren't very many guys that will be a future #1 CB in this draft.

Let's hear your opinions, other realistic players. Next week I'll post possibilities for the 2nd round if it seems that people here like this idea, so start reading up. This should keep us busy for 7 weeks. :)

bah007

Hall of Fame
Here are some guys I've been keeping an eye on who could be around when we select. Looks like you already covered them. I've listed them in the order I covet them. I don't think RB needs to be addressed in the first round and I think that we will most likely be targeting the interior OL or the secondary.

Earl Thomas - FS, Texas: Ballhawking FS who can play centerfield but also excels in man coverage. Better than Eric Berry against the pass, but will he hold up against NFL blockers and RBs? Could be off the board when we pick.

Mike Iupati - G, Idaho: I think he would work in our system. People tend to get too hung up on size when thinking about the ZBS. You can be big and still move well.

Donovan Warren - CB, Michigan: The second best CB in this draft, IMO. He doesn't hit quite like Dunta but he can wrap up a guy and finish him off. Great playmaker in zone coverage. Haden and Lindley are probably the only guys that are better in man.

Brian Price - DT, UCLA: Great player. I have him ranked as my #3 DT. I think he would work well in our style of defense. I think the people on this board are a little bit obsessed with the idea of getting a big NT into the middle of our defense but I disagree. I think we need DTs that can shoot gaps and disrupt the passing game.

Dan Williams - DT, Tennessee: Williams can play in the middle of a 43 or a 34. Not much of a threat in the pass rush but he would hold blocks in the running game.

Texan4Ever

All Pro
I watched a few Michigan football games and overall, with coaching, Donovan Warren has the potential to become a solid cornerback. He hails from a school that has produced good DBs like Charles Woodson and Leon Hall and so I can expect him to bring his A-game day in and day out. I feel that he shouldv'e stayed in school for one more year to hone his skills but if we can grab him in the 2nd or 3rd round then we have a steal.

UCLAs Brian Price is another solid defensive tackle even through his stats may not be THAT impressive, Price is a good UT and can get after the quarterback. We already have Amobi Okoye so we should pass on Price.

Dan Williams would be nice because we need a space eating DT who can take on blockers and allow Okoye to go one-on-one with the opposing linemen. I doub't he lasts by the time we draft him because there are a few teams ahead of us that need a NT, but if he is there then we should consider it.

Mike Iupati is an absolute beast and I think he may become a solid All-Pro guard even through he comes from a small school. He is massive yet nimble enough that he can get a good push on defensive linemen and open up nice holes. He has a 1st round grade but I doubt he gets picked up untill the early 2nd, however, with the NFL Draft you never know...

The Sooners Trent Williams played a bit of center during a few games and I'd like to see him continue to play that position because its always nice to have a linemen who can play multiple positions well (a la Bruce Matthews :fingergun:)

badboy

Hall of Fame
Here's my thinking, Iupati is high for #20 but I would take him and not look back. My concerns for him in the ZBS is long term capability. Will he make 16 games? If he could split time with Pitts, all right, I guess. I think he will be gone by our pick in round two. If you have a "dire need" position and your guy will quite possibly be gone by your next pick, I say pull the trigger.

That is why I have Gerhart in 1st on my board. I love this guy and I think Dwyer will also be gone by our second and so might Anthony Dixon. Scott was hurt & I am a bit leery of him. I had read that TG had said he would petition Stanford for a fifth year of eligibility if NFL advisory did not give him a first round rating. He came out.

I don't think there's any way in the world the Texans would entertain drafting a T in the 1st (unless they have designs on moving him to G.) Winston and Brown are both entrenched at the T spots.

My tentative list for possible round 1 Texans right now would be:
Earl Thomas
Donovan Warren
Brian Price
Dan Williams
Jonathan Dwyer
Ryan Matthews
Dez Bryant

b0ng

Bad Hombre
I don't think there's any way in the world the Texans would entertain drafting a T in the 1st (unless they have designs on moving him to G.) Winston and Brown are both entrenched at the T spots.

Earl Thomas
Donovan Warren
Brian Price
Dan Williams
Jonathan Dwyer
Ryan Matthews
Dez Bryant
I think you just gotta put Iupati on this list. He at least has as much of a chance at being drafted as Bryant.

Wolf6151

All Pro

Earl Thomas
Donovan Warren
Brian Price
Dan Williams
Jonathan Dwyer
Ryan Matthews
Dez Bryant

Unfortunately I think your right about the Texans moving Winston or Brown. Neither Winston or Brown are stud OT's. Picking a stud OT that might fall to us would be filling 2 spots with one pick by moving Winston or Brown inside. It makes sense so naturally I don't think the Texans would even consider it. I forgot about Dez Bryant, he's a 1st round consideration, but I hope we don't go that route. I'm thinking Ryan Matthews is a 2nd round consideration but we all have differing opinions. I could see taking him if we traded down to the high 20's.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Spiller hands down if available.

Earl Thomas clear cut 2nd best option.

then it gets very interesting. for this discussion lets assume both are off the board by 19/20.

lets also assume the Texans re-sign Dunta Robinson, to a resonable contract.

who address biggest need & who is the best player fit for Texans?

Brian Price, DT UCLA would be a great fit. premium size 6-2 300 lbs. productive numbers 23 1/2 tackles for loss and seven sacks, value with early entry. This would give the Texans increased QB pressure & prevent them from getting overpowered @ the line of scrimmage. Expect our sack numbers to finally reflect the emphasis placed on these building blocks.

Mike Iupati, OG Utah 6-5 330. massive interior lineman for the ZBS but creates much needed interior strength & mass to push on nose/bigger DT's both in short yardage, goaline stands & added pass protection for Schaub. Also enables new OL coach Benton to move around players to respective strengths to help overall OL performance.

Recap if the skilled player defensive or offensive is off the board look for the Texans to address either line of scrimmage to enforce the trenches.

playa465

Veteran
Unfortunately I think your right about the Texans moving Winston or Brown. Neither Winston or Brown are stud OT's. Picking a stud OT that might fall to us would be filling 2 spots with one pick by moving Winston or Brown inside. It makes sense so naturally I don't think the Texans would even consider it.
Agreed but also I don't think Kubiak would ever start a rookie on the OL unless he absolutely had too.

There are quite a few players that I would be pleased with at 19/20.

At safety either Mays or Thomas. Historically it is rare for 3 safety's to be selected in the top 20 so we could have a shot at one of them. I know a lot of people are down on Mays but after what we got in Cushing I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the USC well. Polamalu didn't have great INT numbers at SC either. Mays won't be Polamalu good but I think he is going to be a very very good pro.

At DT Brian Price or Dan Williams would be fine with me. I prefer Price though and I think he fits better.

At CB I would be alright with Donovan Warren and I am starting to come around on Patrick Robinson. Just a gut feeling but I think he will also be a better pro than college player.

Iupati is probably the only O-lineman I would want at that spot.

Spiller would be great at RB and I wouldn't mind Jahvid Best.

Keep in mind these are only players I think have a chance at being available but thats 9 players right there I could live with. Haven't looked at the trade value charts but I also wouldn't mind trading completely out of the first, maybe with the Patriots or some other team with multiple 2nd round picks.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
Here are some guys I've been keeping an eye on who could be around when we select. Looks like you already covered them. I've listed them in the order I covet them. I don't think RB needs to be addressed in the first round and I think that we will most likely be targeting the interior OL or the secondary.

Earl Thomas - FS, Texas: Ballhawking FS who can play centerfield but also excels in man coverage. Better than Eric Berry against the pass, but will he hold up against NFL blockers and RBs? Could be off the board when we pick.

Mike Iupati - G, Idaho: I think he would work in our system. People tend to get too hung up on size when thinking about the ZBS. You can be big and still move well.

Donovan Warren - CB, Michigan: The second best CB in this draft, IMO. He doesn't hit quite like Dunta but he can wrap up a guy and finish him off. Great playmaker in zone coverage. Haden and Lindley are probably the only guys that are better in man.

Brian Price - DT, UCLA: Great player. I have him ranked as my #3 DT. I think he would work well in our style of defense. I think the people on this board are a little bit obsessed with the idea of getting a big NT into the middle of our defense but I disagree. I think we need DTs that can shoot gaps and disrupt the passing game.

Dan Williams - DT, Tennessee: Williams can play in the middle of a 43 or a 34. Not much of a threat in the pass rush but he would hold blocks in the running game.
Earl Thomas - Thomas has all the skills to succeed in the NFL he just lacks ideal size. He should have won the Thorpe this year and I think he will have a great NFL career. He is also my #1 option right now.

Mike Iupati - He would not make an immediate impact but would be a good option to replace Pitts in a year or two. The ZBS is complicated to learn but he is very capable of playing within the scheme.

Donovan Warren - I am also high on him. He started as a true freshman at UM and he played very well every year. For those that think he should have gone back for his senior year you need to watch some more film of this kid. He is legit.

Brian Price - If we hadn't already taken TJ and Okoye in the 1st round in recent years then I would like this pick, but I'm just so tired of wasting picks on DT's. The D-Line actually played pretty well this year and I feel we should add a FA or take a guy later in the draft.

Dan Williams - See Price above. Also, I agree we don't necessarily need a space eating NT. We need a guy who will be effective in the scheme. If he can shoot gaps then he can play in our defense.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
He did just last season with Duane Brown so the history is there.
Very true. I'm just hoping that with his job on the line Kubiak is forced to think a lot differently then he has before as far as his roster choices go.

The guys I have as first round picks.

Spiller - Franchise RB? I don't know, but he's explosive in all phases of the game running, catching, and on returns.

Earl Thomas - He's what we probably need at FS, for the first time a guy that can man up on the outisde and play center fielder.

Iupati - Stuck between him being my first round choice. I think if we plug him in at either guard, Caldwell at the other and look at center later in the draft we've got our line situated for a while. We can get the push we need up the middle for whomever is at RB.

Dez Bryant - Slowly starting to think this is who I would target if he drops then look for a interior OL in the second.

Ok just think about it for a moment. This pick is the only reason I'd let Walter walk via FA, but look at the top 3 WRs. AJ, Dez, and JJ. Then you've got to consider a healthy OD into the mix. In the secondary who are you going to cover? And with who? You obviously can't stack the box now and you've always got to be aware that either of those 4 can break a big play.

If we can keep the same level of defensive play I think we'd be a tough team to beat because our offense could set the game's pace. Force opposing offenses to keep up and in the mean time with a healthy Mario back, Smith's motor and Barwin's speed all being able to pin their ears back and go after the QB. Don't forget Cushing can come on a blitz as well.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Very true. I'm just hoping that with his job on the line Kubiak is forced to think a lot differently then he has before as far as his roster choices go.

The guys I have as first round picks.

Spiller - Franchise RB? I don't know, but he's explosive in all phases of the game running, catching, and on returns.

Earl Thomas - He's what we probably need at FS, for the first time a guy that can man up on the outisde and play center fielder.

Iupati - Stuck between him being my first round choice. I think if we plug him in at either guard, Caldwell at the other and look at center later in the draft we've got our line situated for a while. We can get the push we need up the middle for whomever is at RB.

Dez Bryant - Slowly starting to think this is who I would target if he drops then look for a interior OL in the second.

Ok just think about it for a moment. This pick is the only reason I'd let Walter walk via FA, but look at the top 3 WRs. AJ, Dez, and JJ. Then you've got to consider a healthy OD into the mix. In the secondary who are you going to cover? And with who? You obviously can't stack the box now and you've always got to be aware that either of those 4 can break a big play.

If we can keep the same level of defensive play I think we'd be a tough team to beat because our offense could set the game's pace. Force opposing offenses to keep up and in the mean time with a healthy Mario back, Smith's motor and Barwin's speed all being able to pin their ears back and go after the QB. Don't forget Cushing can come on a blitz as well.
If Dez Bryant is there and Earl Thomas is not my thought will be "Please, pretty please some team that needs a WR please trade up." :runaway:

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
Dez Bryant reminds me of a more polished Jacoby Jones. While I think it'd be awesome to have him on the offense, I think by re-signing Walter you save yourself a draft pick (a 1st rounder at that).

However, if we've got him rated as a Top 10 / elite calibre type of player and the other players on the board aren't rated near as high... then I'm not going to argue with the selection.

playa465

Veteran
He did just last season with Duane Brown so the history is there.
True the facts speak for itself... however I bet if Salaam hadn't had knee issues and the arthroscopic surgery, Brown would have been brought along slowly...at that time Kubiak HAD to start Brown.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
True the facts speak for itself... however I bet if Salaam hadn't had knee issues and the arthroscopic surgery, Brown would have been brought along slowly...at that time Kubiak HAD to start Brown.
Well you can guess and surmise but in the end, there has not been a 1st round pick that didn't start in week 1 under Kubiak. So if we go OL in the first my guess is that they feel the player will be good enough to supplant a current starter and take over.

I haven't really seen that in any of the OL outside of Iupati (Which I still think would have to have a long battle with Pitts, Briesel and Caldwell to get snaps.), but I can always be surprised.

Wolf6151

All Pro
I like Dez Bryant, I think he would be a wonderful weapon to add to the offense but I also see him as a luxury pick that we just can't afford right now. We've got holes on the O-line and secondary that need to be filled first.

Someone mentioned Jahvid Best as a possible 1st round pick. I like his running style and either he or Spiller would be perfect for our one cut and go system. If we traded down in the 1st then I wouldn't mind him late in the 1st.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I like Dez Bryant, I think he would be a wonderful weapon to add to the offense but I also see him as a luxury pick that we just can't afford right now. We've got holes on the O-line and secondary that need to be filled first.

Someone mentioned Jahvid Best as a possible 1st round pick. I like his running style and either he or Spiller would be perfect for our one cut and go system. If we traded down in the 1st then I wouldn't mind him late in the 1st.
there is no such thing as a luxury pick if that said person improves a position on the team, that's an upgrade which is what it's all about :specnatz:

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
there is no such thing as a luxury pick if that said person improves a position on the team, that's an upgrade which is what it's all about :specnatz:
I think what he meant was that WR isn't really a position of need (assuming we have the same players on the roster). The thought that if you're addressing a position that doesn't need to be addressed, then it could be considered a luxury pick. That you're succeeding with with what you have now and that it could actually be considered a strength. With that said, I'm a believer that you upgrade a position/your team any way you can. Who knows if you're going to have the same opportunity over the next few years. If you're getting a superstar like Andre Johnson... that would be huge!

There's one draft theory about building a 'super unit'. It could be about building a team, in general. But instead of getting above average, quality guys all around. You stock up on extremely great talent at one position. You build a super unit that forces opposing teams to spend the vast majority of their time gameplanning against and still having trouble defeating it. With this theory, and going back to your original post.... it wouldn't be a luxury pick at all. It would be a necessity to get your team to the level you want!

It's really a moot discussion. Bryant is already being touted as better than Crabtree was last year, he's a virtual lock to go in the top 10.

That said, we really have Andre Johnson and a bunch of guys. DA and Jacoby will obviously be here, barring trade. But, Walter is a FA and Andre Davis is a prime candidate to be cut given the CBA situation. Unless you're sold on Jacoby as a number 2, which I'm not, there's absolutely no reason you'd pass up a premiere talent like Dez Bryant simply because you have other (or even greater) needs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think what he meant was that WR isn't really a position of need (assuming we have the same players on the roster). The thought that if you're addressing a position that doesn't need to be addressed, then it could be considered a luxury pick. That you're succeeding with with what you have now and that it could actually be considered a strength. With that said, I'm a believer that you upgrade a position/your team any way you can. Who knows if you're going to have the same opportunity over the next few years. If you're getting a superstar like Andre Johnson... that would be huge!

There's one draft theory about building a 'super unit'. It could be about building a team, in general. But instead of getting above average, quality guys all around. You stock up on extremely great talent at one position. You build a super unit that forces opposing teams to spend the vast majority of their time gameplanning against and still having trouble defeating it. With this theory, and going back to your original post.... it wouldn't be a luxury pick at all. It would be a necessity to get your team to the level you want!

The Texans should build a super unit on offense. If you upgrade the offense the defense is good enough to win with. With a few tweaks.

I believe the only way to beat the Mannings is to develop an offense that can score points with the Colts. A great offense also keeps Manning off the field. Thereby limiting his effectiveness.

The Texans defense is almost on par with the Colts defense. IMO

Smithiak need to upgrade the offense. IMO

TexCanada

All Pro
The Texans should build a super unit on offense. If you upgrade the offense the defense is good enough to win with. With a few tweaks.

I believe the only way to beat the Mannings is to develop an offense that can score points with the Colts. A great offense also keeps Manning off the field. Thereby limiting his effectiveness.

To keep Manning off the field we need to improve our run game and O-line, not take a top receiver in the first round.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame

I'd be onboard with it. We've got a really good offense right now, a few key additions and I think we'd be really great. Obviously getting the running game is a KEY instruement in having a great offense as well as keeping Manning off the field. With our team, I am also in favor of the pass to set up the run strategy... because it works. Our strength is the passing game. We had the 30th ranked rushing offense last year... only ahead of who? San Diego and Indianapolis. With that rushing game... we still successfuly passed the ball! Teams KNEW what we were doing and couldn't stop us!

In our case we've got a great passing game. We should pass pass pass. What happens is that the opposing defenses will consistently have an extra DB in to cover the pass and one less LB or guy on the DL. And that's when its easier to run successfully against teams than when there are 7-8 in the box, all of whom weigh 250+ and strength is tackling!

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I'd be onboard with it. We've got a really good offense right now, a few key additions and I think we'd be really great. Obviously getting the running game is a KEY instruement in having a great offense as well as keeping Manning off the field. With our team, I am also in favor of the pass to set up the run strategy... because it works. Our strength is the passing game. We had the 30th ranked rushing offense last year... only ahead of who? San Diego and Indianapolis. With that rushing game... we still successfuly passed the ball! Teams KNEW what we were doing and couldn't stop us!

In our case we've got a great passing game. We should pass pass pass. What happens is that the opposing defenses will consistently have an extra DB in to cover the pass and one less LB or guy on the DL. And that's when its easier to run successfully against teams than when there are 7-8 in the box, all of whom weigh 250+ and strength is tackling!
Just how great is this Texans offense if Andre Johnson/Matt Schaub or both get hurt? I don't like to think about it but it's a huge drop off either position, thats a fragile thing not discussed but has to be on Kubiak & Rick Smiths mind :headhurts:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
To keep Manning off the field we need to improve our run game and O-line, not take a top receiver in the first round.
While I agree with the premise - and for me fixing the interior OL is a very high priority this offseason -

That didnt help the Fish much earlier this season when they held the rock for over 45 minutes. The Colts managed only 14 total first downs in the game and still managed to put up 27 points and a Win.

Here's the box score from that game.

To beat the Dolts you need to do more than just control the clock - You have to disrupt Pey-Me-A-Ton. Get guy's in his face early and often and
be physical with those recievers , not allow them off the line of scrimmage without some disruption to the route's timing.

Last but not least - You have to continue to put up points even if you are up two or three scores. No lead is safe from that bastard.

Just how great is this Texans offense if Andre Johnson/Matt Schaub or both get hurt? I don't like to think about it but it's a huge drop off either position, thats a fragile thing not discussed but has to be on Kubiak & Rick Smiths mind :headhurts:
The same could be said for most any team in the NFL - the drop off from starting QB to the #2 is usually pretty big.
In the case of AJ - he's the teams best player ...

badboy

Hall of Fame
My memory is Brown was told immediately after being drafted he would start and Salaam mentioned his disappointment in newspaper and on TV. He wanted Kubes to say best person playing would start season. Kubes replied Brown will start. I believe Duane was pulled in 3rd game and Salaam played most of that game but Brown started 4th. May be wrong on that game.

badboy

Hall of Fame
While I agree with the premise - and for me fixing the interior OL is a very high priority this offseason -

That didnt help the Fish much earlier this season when they held the rock for over 45 minutes. The Colts managed only 14 total first downs in the game and still managed to put up 27 points and a Win.

Here's the box score from that game.

To beat the Dolts you need to do more than just control the clock - You have to disrupt Pey-Me-A-Ton. Get guy's in his face early and often and
be physical with those recievers , not allow them off the line of scrimmage without some disruption to the route's timing.

Last but not least - You have to continue to put up points even if you are up two or three scores. No lead is safe from that bastard.

The same could be said for most any team in the NFL - the drop off from starting QB to the #2 is usually pretty big.
It also helps if your grass causes injury to their wide receivers. :dancer:

Goldensilence

hipster elite
Yeah but as others have pointed out the drop off at WR is a chasm after AJ and you have to put points on the board with the Colts.

the other things I'd say is yeah, we have to keep up with the Colts no doubt, but would either the Jags or Titans be able to play the kind of ball they'd like to if they are playing from behind consistently? Force them to keep up with our offense and make Garrard and Young throw the ball as opposed to handing the ball of the MJD and Chris Johnson.

Also if we give Schaub another target we don't have to settle for FGs as often and let Brown shank important FGs.

If it was up to me I'd probably take Iupati at G in the first round and not look back, but if, and that's likely a BIG IF, Bryant is still there run up the podium and select the guy. Top off the passing game. Force teams to keep up with our offensive pace.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If it was up to me I'd probably take Iupati at G in the first round and not look back, but if, and that's likely a BIG IF, Bryant is still there run up the podium and select the guy. Top off the passing game. Force teams to keep up with our offensive pace.

Ive stated before that Iupati is my first choice but if Bryant or one of the top safety's happened to still on the board at that time it would most deffinately be a difficult decision

Blake

MMQB
I really like the idea of FS Earl Thomas, or OG Mike Iupati. But I am not going to count out NT Dan Williams, or a CB like Patrick Robinson, or Perrish Cox.

We will just have to see when the cream rises to the top.

TexCanada

All Pro
Yeah but as others have pointed out the drop off at WR is a chasm after AJ and you have to put points on the board with the Colts.

the other things I'd say is yeah, we have to keep up with the Colts no doubt, but would either the Jags or Titans be able to play the kind of ball they'd like to if they are playing from behind consistently? Force them to keep up with our offense and make Garrard and Young throw the ball as opposed to handing the ball of the MJD and Chris Johnson.
Also if we give Schaub another target we don't have to settle for FGs as often and let Brown shank important FGs.

I'm not saying that we don't need a WR, I'm just saying to whoever made the original point about keeping Peyton off the field that we would need to improve the run game more than the passing game.

Personally for me I would rather address the defense once again with our first pick. I would love to take Price but I'm too scared of DTs in the first round given our history. My top choice would be Earl Thomas, so hopefully he is still around when we pick. It will largely depend on what teams are thinking about Mays though. I would guess that 2 of the 3 top safeties will be gone by our pick, so it depends if Mays goes before Thomas or not.

TexCanada

All Pro
I think the chances of Dez being around by our pick are almost none. I can't see Denver passing him up since Marshall will likely be gone this off-season.

Blake

MMQB
Since the Kubiak era, the Texans first 2 picks each year have been (DE/LB) (DT/WR) (OT/CB) (LB/DE)

Thats 6 defensive players, and 2 offensive players. Whatever they decide to do, you know at least 1, possibly both will be defenders.

We had major injuries at the OG spot. Dunta Robinson might not be coming back. NT needs help since TJ left the building, and safety has been an issue since day 1.

That makes our biggest needs CB/FS/NT/OG

So it makes the most sense to focus on defense again in rounds 1 and 2.

In rounds 3/4 you can focus on a RB and OL.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I'm not saying that we don't need a WR, I'm just saying to whoever made the original point about keeping Peyton off the field that we would need to improve the run game more than the passing game.

Personally for me I would rather address the defense once again with our first pick. I would love to take Price but I'm too scared of DTs in the first round given our history. My top choice would be Earl Thomas, so hopefully he is still around when we pick. It will largely depend on what teams are thinking about Mays though. I would guess that 2 of the 3 top safeties will be gone by our pick, so it depends if Mays goes before Thomas or not.
Exactly. The Texans still have plenty of holes on defense. In this league it's much easier to win consistently with a stout defense and I'd like to see the Texans move into that direction. With Schaub and Johnson out there, the Texans don't need a ton of awsome play makers on offense. They just need a good RB that has good blocking and some other WR's that can get things done.

We've got to stack the defense. I want Earl Thomas. The guy does everything well at Safety, and he'd be the #1 safety coming out if he played another season in college. I want that guy badly if we can get him. I want a top play making safety to play along side of Pollard. If there is a really good CB available then I'd take that as well. I don't like the CB's we have. They're servicable, but that's about it. I wish we could get a better upgrade at DT through free agency or through a trade.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
So what if Matt Schaub who is now playing in the Pro-Bowl (congratualtions) sustains a grade 3 shoulder seperation, you think the Texans draft board doesn't flip upside down?

TexCanada

All Pro
So what if Matt Schaub who is now playing in the Pro-Bowl (congratualtions) sustains a grade 3 shoulder seperation, you think the Texans draft board doesn't flip upside down?
The "What If?" game can be played all day long. You could say this about any position on our team.

Goldensilence

hipster elite

Though I think we need to do more than just focus on beating the Colts. As Corrosion pointed out keeping Manning off the field isn't enough if you don't score points as well. We've had problems on getting into the endzone once we get into the RZ. I think adding an OL that will help the offense hold the LOS would be big or adding another threat outside would create mismatch problems with opposing defenses.

I absolutely DO NOT want a DT in the first round. Am I a bit disappointed with the production we've gotten out of our DTs? Yes. But that doesn't mean I want or think that throwing another DT to the rotation will help.

If Thomas is there and we snag him I'll be happy that we're going to get a true play making FS for once in the history of the franchise.

I still think we'd be better served putting our offense into overdrive and being able to score at will whether that is improving the OL, RB or landing Dez Bryant, again IF he's there.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Since the Kubiak era, the Texans first 2 picks each year have been (DE/LB) (DT/WR) (OT/CB) (LB/DE)

Thats 6 defensive players, and 2 offensive players. Whatever they decide to do, you know at least 1, possibly both will be defenders.

We had major injuries at the OG spot. Dunta Robinson might not be coming back. NT needs help since TJ left the building, and safety has been an issue since day 1.

That makes our biggest needs CB/FS/NT/OG

So it makes the most sense to focus on defense again in rounds 1 and 2.

In rounds 3/4 you can focus on a RB and OL.
I wish Smithiak would go offense but looking at their past draft record I think you are right the probably will go defense in at least the 1st rd and probably in rd 2 also.

They need to get Schaub some protection and help in the running game in the worst way though. IMO

Blake

MMQB
I wish Smithiak would go offense but looking at their past draft record I think you are right the probably will go defense in at least the 1st rd and probably in rd 2 also.

They need to get Schaub some protection and help in the running game in the worst way though. IMO
Same here. If we miss out on Earl Thomas, I would love to get Matt some help on the OL, then we can focus on CB or FS in the 2nd round. Also depends on what we do in FA.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
More accurately that would be DE/LB, DT/QB, OT/QB, LB/DE.

5 D picks and 3 O picks.

Now if you go 1st 3 rounds you get - DE/LB/OT/OT, DT/QB/WR, OT/QB/CB/RB, LB/DE/C.

Looks like 6 D picks and 8 O picks.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame

We already have a guy like that in Slaton. Why use a 1st rd pick on something we already have when we have holes elsewhere?

It's worth noting that the shoulder injury Schaub suffered in 2008 (and re-injured in 2009) is a chronic conditions. I'm sure we can get CnD (wherever he's been lately) in here to elaborate, but according to the doctors I've heard speak on the radio, his separated shoulder will continue to be vulnerable to separation.

Granted, it is his non-throwing shoulder, and it can be protected by a brace, but this is an injury that is chronic and can affect him mentally as well as physically.

I think any idea that Schaub is the long term answer at QB is terribly shortsighted.

Blake

MMQB
We already have a guy like that in Slaton. Why use a 1st rd pick on something we already have when we have holes elsewhere?
I would have to agree. Since we have Slaton and Foster, we should be able to wait until the 3rd or 4th round to address that need.

Now if Best/Dwyer make it to us in round 2 then hey hey, they might be the pick.

Also until FA is over the waters are going to be murky as hell.

mussop

Hall of Fame
I would have to agree. Since we have Slaton and Foster, we should be able to wait until the 3rd or 4th round to address that need.

Now if Best/Dwyer make it to us in round 2 then hey hey, they might be the pick.

Also until FA is over the waters are going to be murky as hell.
You guys speak as if its a sure thing that Slaton returns to his rookie form. Would YOU risk YOUR job on that assumption?

Blake

MMQB
You guys speak as if its a sure thing that Slaton returns to his rookie form. Would YOU risk YOUR job on that assumption?
By no means do I think Slaton is a lock to return to his 2008 form. I am simply in the camp that thinks we have more urgent needs to fill with our #1 draft pick than RB. I did not say that we would ignore it. In fact I said I would spend a 2nd round pick on a RB if the right one was there.

And I dont see how its any different risking your job by not taking a RB or a FS. Or a NT. Or OL help.

badboy

Hall of Fame
By no means do I think Slaton is a lock to return to his 2008 form. I am simply in the camp that thinks we have more urgent needs to fill with our #1 draft pick than RB. I did not say that we would ignore it. In fact I said I would spend a 2nd round pick on a RB if the right one was there.

And I dont see how its any different risking your job by not taking a RB or a FS. Or a NT. Or OL help.
Slaton may come back from injury and had a very poor season prior to injury. Brown should be gone. Foster while looking good played 3 games. Moats while seemingly steady is not my starter. What other position has no guaranteed starter and one promising back up? RB in first round screams to me And don't give me the we can draft one later. Maybe yes and maybe no. Your first round is pretty much the only guarantee that a RB you want for your system will be there. It is a priority nedd. Fill it.