Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-17-2010   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pro Bowl before Super Bowl

Somehow I just found out about this. Maybe there was already a thread on this and if so I apologize.

So what does everyone think about this? Is it better or worse for the game? My initial thought is there will probably be more interest in the game because everyone will still be hyped up about football. I know I often forgot about the Pro Bowl game because after the Super Bowl you are in the mindset that the season is over.

Of course obviously Super Bowl teams will not be contributing any players however I think that was common anyway.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #2
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 49241 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pro Bowl before Super Bowl

There is a thread about the Pro Bowl issue, but this one is cool. Personally, even though some Super Bowl contenders could bow out, but a week before the Super Bowl sounds more like a consolation prize for those that didn't make it.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Week before: Mixed.

Moving it from Hawaii: Bad idea.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Norv Turner vs Wade Phillips

that'll be awesommeee
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #5
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Somehow I just found out about this. Maybe there was already a thread on this and if so I apologize.

So what does everyone think about this? Is it better or worse for the game? My initial thought is there will probably be more interest in the game because everyone will still be hyped up about football. I know I often forgot about the Pro Bowl game because after the Super Bowl you are in the mindset that the season is over.

Of course obviously Super Bowl teams will not be contributing any players however I think that was common anyway.
Given the fact that I couldn't possibly have any less interest in the Pro Bowl than I've had the last several years, it can't be a bad thing.
Old 01-18-2010   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post

I'm with you. Although, having something to watch during the bye before the Bowl is good. Even if it's a worthless game, it's still football.....or close to it.
Old 01-18-2010   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post

From a personal standpoint, unless I'm going (which I never plan to do), I don't care whether they play it in Miami, Hawaii, Guam, or Never-Never land. I can't see how this makes any difference to anyone not planning on attending the Super Bowl/Pro Bowl or both.

From a more practical standpoint, since there's a large number of the players who hang out in the Super Bowl city the week before the game anyway, it may actually make it easier (by making it less of a additional demand on their time) to get players to participate in the game.

I actually think it's at least worth trying to see how it goes.
Old 01-18-2010   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Pro Bowl in the midst of Super Bowl hype. More TV ad revenue for the NFL. Plus it's less expensive than staging it in Hawaii. Makes perfect business sense.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. The only reason I'll watch the pro bowl anyway is to watch Texan players if they make it. And this year we'll have four. I think it'll be great if they let Mario, Ryans and Crushing all play at the same time for a series or two.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Pro Bowl in the midst of Super Bowl hype. More TV ad revenue for the NFL. Plus it's less expensive than staging it in Hawaii. Makes perfect business sense.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. The only reason I'll watch the pro bowl anyway is to watch Texan players if they make it. And this year we'll have four. I think it'll be great if they let Mario, Ryans and Crushing all play at the same time for a series or two.
QFT!!

The "Skills Challenge" used to be more fun to watch than the Pro Bowl. My Son and I used to really enjoy watching the players compete while having fun doing it.
Old 01-18-2010   #10
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate the Pro Bowl. It's a crap game and no one "really" wants to play in it. They should do away with it and just have an awards ceremony in the Super Bowl city at a basketball arena. If the Super Bowl were in Houston for example, have the ceremony at the Toyota Center to kick off Super Bowl week, name your Pro-Bowlers, let them all come out on stage and let the fans cheer them or what have you, hand out MVP, ROY awards, Coach of the Year and all that jazz.

ESPN could make it a show, showing highlights for each player announced and all that good stuff.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather see a NCAA Championship game that is the result of a legit playoff system on that weekend, but yeah, that's my take.

The Pro Bowl is a big yawn for me. I haven't watched it in years. I usually feel like a bear coming out of a long hibernation by that weekend, so my football season watching official ends when 0:00 is on the Super Bowl game clock.

A week before, a week after, it won't make much of a difference to me, much less where they actually play it. My son might want to check it out, so I'll hang with him until he loses attention (probably after AJ is pulled).
Old 01-19-2010   #12
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, I was just looking at the Pro Bowl roster and Nate Kaeding is the starting kicker for the AFC. This guy totally melted down against the Jets. I wonder what Chargers fan will think if he nails every kick in the Pro Bowl.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Wow, I was just looking at the Pro Bowl roster and Nate Kaeding is the starting kicker for the AFC. This guy totally melted down against the Jets. I wonder what Chargers fan will think if he nails every kick in the Pro Bowl.
He's also the 1st team All-Pro kicker.
Old 01-19-2010   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Kaeding is a great kicker.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #15
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 10634 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Pro Bowl before Super Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm with you. Although, having something to watch during the bye before the Bowl is good. Even if it's a worthless game, it's still football.....or close to it.
Well, I'll be watching
Old 01-21-2010   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The closer the SB comes the more I like the idea of the Pro Bowl in the week before the SB. It beats two weeks without football. I like Speedy's Awards Ceremony idea too.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010   #17
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it being the week before, but wish it was still in Hawaii.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #18
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll watch, esp now that MS will be playing. Hope he and AJ get a chance to light up an otherwise pretty boring game.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I'll watch, esp now that MS will be playing. Hope he and AJ get a chance to light up an otherwise pretty boring game.
I will probably not be watching live, I'll DVR it. That way I can fast forward through the spots where our boys aren't playing and just watch the parts where Matt lights up their defense and AJ makes a TD, and where our three defensive guys mash the NFCs offense.

Pro Bowls are WAY to boring to watch the whole thing. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read