Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-17-2010   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Fine them now before it's too late

I know it happens all the time, but each time it happens I think we're lucky no-one is seriously hurt. But I think we need to fine these players, coaches, & franchises every time a helmet comes off during a game.

I appreciate the toughness a guy shows when his helmet comes off a he continues to fight for every yard. One of these days we're going to see that happen, & that guy won't walk off the field. It will be too late then to try to fix the problem we all see now.
Old 01-17-2010   #2
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Fine them now before it's too late

Shouldn't your anger be directed toward the equipment manager?
Old 01-17-2010   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah if a players helmet comes off he should just stop and down the ball right where he's at!

No.
Old 01-17-2010   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
No.

Watch some of these idiots strap up in the huddle. They only lock up the top two straps and let the bottom two just hang there. It must look cool to them or something. I don't get it.

It's almost always the same guys losing their helmet after every play and it's not the helmet's fault.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
If that's where the problem lies, then so be it. I really don't have an answer for this, I'm just saying it needs to be looked at before someone gets killed.

If it's the players, fine them, and make them think twice about strapping up.

If it's the equipment manager, fine the league.

Whatever it may be, start laying out fines, until somebody thinks it is worth looking at and solving, before somebody gets killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Yeah if a players helmet comes off he should just stop and down the ball right where he's at!

No.
Read my post again, I never said any such thing. I also don't think Ray Lewis should pull punches just because some other guy's helmet came off.

It's a problem that needs to be fixed, before someone dies, and we write it off as bad luck.
Old 01-17-2010   #6
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I know it happens all the time, but each time it happens I think we're lucky no-one is seriously hurt. But I think we need to fine these players, coaches, & franchises every time a helmet comes off during a game.

I appreciate the toughness a guy shows when his helmet comes off a he continues to fight for every yard. One of these days we're going to see that happen, & that guy won't walk off the field. It will be too late then to try to fix the problem we all see now.
mentioned the exact same thing myself.

kicking a red challenge flag is apparently more of a concern than something that really threatens a players life?
Old 01-18-2010   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe that we should just do away with helmest altogether now. Seems like guys are making innocent tackles the way the've been taught since they were 5 and they get flagged for it.

That call on Ray Lewis in the Indy game was horrible.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2010   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Read my post again, I never said any such thing. I also don't think Ray Lewis should pull punches just because some other guy's helmet came off.

It's a problem that needs to be fixed, before someone dies, and we write it off as bad luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Okay who needs to be fined then when a helmet comes off? What's the point of fining a player if they didn't take their helmet off, if it came off due to being hit?

I just don't get what you're shooting for with this thread. Helmets come off, that's going to happen, and if you want somebody fined for it then I guess you should just fine the team, even though that seems extremely silly. It's not like the players don't get fined enough as it is.
Old 01-18-2010   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okay who needs to be fined then when a helmet comes off? What's the point of fining a player if they didn't take their helmet off, if it came off due to being hit?
This has been mentioned several times this year by commentators particularly Aikman. You used to regularly see games without a single helmet coming off. Now you don't and instead see 5-15 pop off during the course of a game. It is on the players. They are wearing their helmets looser, their chin straps looser and many are only snapping two of the four chin strap snaps.
Old 01-18-2010   #10
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably because they can't fit all their hair in the helmet.

Ask Steven Jackson, think his helmet came off about a dozen times when we played the Rams.
Old 01-18-2010   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This has been mentioned several times this year by commentators particularly Aikman. You used to regularly see games without a single helmet coming off. Now you don't and instead see 5-15 pop off during the course of a game. It is on the players. They are wearing their helmets looser, their chin straps looser and many are only snapping two of the four chin strap snaps.
I agree and if they want to get all mad about how they are handled after thier football career is over, then they shouldn't get mad when the league takes proper precautions necessary to help them while their career is still going.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
If it's a problem with the player, he will make double sure to snap all the snaps, if that is the problem. If he is doing everything he can, then we can fine the team on the third or fourth offense. But it seems to be the same players every time.

Every now & then you get a new face in there. But most of the time, it's the same guys.

Which leads me to believe it can be controlled by the players. I haven't made up my mind where the problem lies, but I would at least start here.

I'm open to options..
Old 01-18-2010   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I say let them get their bell rung. The first player that really suffers from getting hit after his helmet pops off will teach a lot more to the rest of NFL players than any fines and/or penalties.
Old 01-18-2010   #14
gwallaia

Rep Power: 68496 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
First off, I would like to point out to everyone, Cak's correct usage of the word "loose". See how that works people?

I know that helmets pop off a lot of players but it seems to me that now a days, more and more players have dread-locks and really long hair hanging out. I wonder if that has something to do with helmets coming off them.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about any of y'all, but when I played I wanted my chin strap tightened up as much as possible.
(and for Gwallia) If I wore my chin strap lose we would loose the game.
Old 01-18-2010   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate the offseason. this is actually a topic? I've been watching football on TV and in person since the early 70's and I've never seen anyone get close to getting a head injury when a helmet is lost. Should we fine guys who's shoes come untied too? Seems like a dangerous situation.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I hate the offseason. this is actually a topic? I've been watching football on TV and in person since the early 70's and I've never seen anyone get close to getting a head injury when a helmet is lost. Should we fine guys who's shoes come untied too? Seems like a dangerous situation.
I don't think the problem is that the helmets literally pop off, it's that they are loose enough to. If the helmet is loose then that means there is extra space between your head and the helmet, thus you are more likely to suffer a concussion from a blow to the head.
Old 01-18-2010   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I don't think the problem is that the helmets literally pop off, it's that they are loose enough to. If the helmet is loose then that means there is extra space between your head and the helmet, thus you are more likely to suffer a concussion from a blow to the head.
well, yeah but this thread is about guys fighting for extra yardage and getting killed! Perhaps if the helmet is on too tight the head will pop off with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I really don't have an answer for this, I'm just saying it needs to be looked at before someone gets killed.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
well, yeah but this thread is about guys fighting for extra yardage and getting killed! Perhaps if the helmet is on too tight the head will pop off with it!
Well I don't necessarily agree with what thunderkyss is pushing in his argument but I have noticed the helmet thing too in recent years. It used to happen every once in a while, now it happens after nearly every play.

I think it is something that should be looked at, just not for the reasons that the OP addressed.
Old 01-18-2010   #20
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Get your Mentos ready!

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read