Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Orlovsky: Make own breaks in life

Quote:
NEW HAVEN -- As far as Dan Orlovsky was concerned, he was golden. Life was good. Real good. He was starting his freshman season at UConn. He had a full scholarship, was a very promising quarterback, the kind of prospect who you can build a program around, and no worries at all.

He loved the college life and really loved the college football life. He thought it would all be so easy. And football was. The classroom, however, wasn't.

By his own admission, Orlovsky coasted that first semester. He didn't work as hard as he should, or could, have. And when the grades were posted, coach Randy Edsall called Orlovsky into his office and told him to close the door.
Quote:
Knowing that the Lions were looking at other quarterback options, Orlovsky tested the free agent waters and signed a three-year, $9-million deal with the Houston Texans and spent the 2009 season watching from the sidelines as Matt Schaub led Houston to a 9-7 record, just missing the postseason.

"It was nice to be part of a pretty good season down in Houston and make a run at the playoffs. It was probably the most realistic feeling of being in the NFL that I've had," Orlovsky said.

But after getting a taste of being a starting quarterback, was it tough to have to stand on the sidelines again and watch someone else play?

"That's the question that everyone asks me, 'Would you rather be a seven-game starter of an 0-16 team or be the backup on a winner?'" Orlovsky said. "It's a question that's tough to answer. As a competitor, I want to play and I want to do my part. But being part of a football team that was pretty good and won some games, I'd rather be that guy that was on that winning team. That definitely softens the blow of not playing.

"You want to play, there's nothing that cures that want to be out there. I'm taking it in stride and just trying to be as prepared as I can for next season."
http://www.newstimes.com/sports/arti...ife-324113.php
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010   #2
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Orlovsky: Make own breaks in life

Most expensive 3rd string QB in the league?
Old 01-16-2010   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
jamarcus russell
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010   #4
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Every time I even see Orlovsly's contract numbers I get a headache.

He has to be one of the most overpaid players in the NFL.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010   #5
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

if Matty Fire plays every year like last year Man We wont need 2 backups prob just 1
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Maybe but our 2nd string QB was inexpensive. So it balances out. I think a lot of teams have more money invested in the QB position than we do.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Orlovsky is no world beater but I think he can at some point be a solid NFL QB - he has the physical tools , just needs to work on the finer points of being an NFL QB - He has one of the best QB guru's in the game for a HC.

Lets hope that we never have a need to find out IF he has turned that corner ..

Sure , he's a bit overpaid ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2010   #8
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Guess we'll likely get a better idea of what we have in Dan O this coming off-season after a year's work with Kubiak. I might criticize Kubiak as a HC,but he works well with QBs.

As someone pointed out he's got the physical tools and seems to have the attitude to improve. Overpaid? I dunno his deal was 9.1 million for 3 years with a 2.4 bonus. I think a person has to take into consideration that when we signed him we had just traded off our previous backup, and our starting QB hadn't gone a full 16 games until this year. Around there NFL there is a premium on consistent QB play, The FO paid for a guy whom they thought might have a shot at playing competently behind Schaub.

Going to be an interesting off-season at QB considering Grossman is a former starter as well, who only signed a one year deal.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #9
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Guess we'll likely get a better idea of what we have in Dan O this coming off-season after a year's work with Kubiak. I might criticize Kubiak as a HC,but he works well with QBs.

As someone pointed out he's got the physical tools and seems to have the attitude to improve. Overpaid? I dunno his deal was 9.1 million for 3 years with a 2.4 bonus. I think a person has to take into consideration that when we signed him we had just traded off our previous backup, and our starting QB hadn't gone a full 16 games until this year. Around there NFL there is a premium on consistent QB play, The FO paid for a guy whom they thought might have a shot at playing competently behind Schaub.

Going to be an interesting off-season at QB considering Grossman is a former starter as well, who only signed a one year deal.
Oh, definitely. I get WHY he was paid so much. He was an insurance policy because we were in limbo at the qb spot. It's just a hard pill to swallow.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Every time I even see Orlovsly's contract numbers I get a headache.

He has to be one of the most overpaid players in the NFL.
I don't care if Orlovsky makes $3 million or the minimum. I just don't want him paid by the Texans. Or see the field in any meaningful game.

I think the Texans need to look for a backup QB. My suggestion would be to offer the Vikes a 7th round pick for their overpaid 3rd string QB. I believe his last name is Rosen-something.
Old 01-18-2010   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Oh, definitely. I get WHY he was paid so much. He was an insurance policy because we were in limbo at the qb spot. It's just a hard pill to swallow.
Consider this. When we traded Sage he signed a 2 year extension for 9 million for the Vikes.

7th rounder Lucky? Guess we'll see how the QB position looks for the Vikes after the playoffs and if Favre will go through with the two year contract. Maybe we'll see another retirement followed by another unretirement with another team. Would that be another Favre record? Most unretires in a career?

Nothing would make me more happy right now than to see Favre end the season on another pick 6.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read