Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-07-2004   #21
clandestin
Veteran

I have a feeling that most are over-estimating the impact that Babin is likely to have in his first year. Here are some early stats from other good 3-4 OLBs carreers.

Kevin Greene

Season Team Games Sacks
1985 LAM 15 0.0
1986 LAM 16 7.0
1987 LAM 9 6.5
1988 LAM 16 16.5

Greg Lloyd

1988 PIT 4 .5
1989 PIT 16 7
1990 PIT 14 4.5
1991 PIT 16 8

Jason Gildon

1994 PIT 16 2
1995 PIT 16 5
1996 PIT 14 12
1997 PIT 16 12
1998 PIT 16 12

There are exceptions (ie. Suggs' 12 sacks last year) but I would view a 6-8 sack season from Babin as a success, and even that may be overly optimistic--even LT took 3 years to get into double-digits.
clandestin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #22
DominatorDavis
Veteran

I would agree that 6-8 sacks is a success for Babin as well. If folks are optimistic it is because we gave up a lot to get him and the expectations on a guy like that are very high. As they should be. Why would you draft a guy if you did not have an idea of what he could do and what the team needs? No one drafts a player with the idea in mind that he will hit rock bottom. I know that that is not your point - but I hope that you can see the point that I am trying to make. Your are just counter-reacting to the hype on Babin and I respect that. Your position has its merit. With me it is more like cautious optimism and a wait and see approach.

Besides - when you look at everything who doesn't want the Texans to just dominate? I know I do. And I hope that Babin helps with that. On a side note, I do believe that our secondary will be the weak link next year IMO - not the D-line or the backers.
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that I am going to expect a Posey-like year out of Babin. Posey produced decent pressure, a decent amount of sacks, but was fairly one-dimensional. Posey was one-dimensional because of limitations in his game but Babin will likely be a bit one-dimensional because of his experience in changing from DE to OLB although I expect Babin to be better against the run than Posey was. Babin will likely be weak in coverage in the flat and his run/pass reads. One step of hesitation gets you beat in the NFL. The game just moves too fast to think about what you are doing before you react to what you see.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #24
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by __V__
Ugh, I am no Jay Foreman fan. Tackle stats mean nothing to me when most of your stops are 5 yards down field.

I think you are forgetting the D line last year getting run over , many blockers getting to the second lvl meaning tackles are going to be made 5+ yards down-field ..... Not saying Foreman is an AllPro or anything but he is a steady performer if not spectacular and does work hard

Last edited by Corrosion; 06-08-2004 at 01:38 AM.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't forgotten. I didn't like him in 2002 either. Jamie Sharper plays right beside him and he didn't have nearly as many problems with Guards and getting good licks on backs at the LOS.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #26
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default RBs in the flat

With Wong being used more consistantly as a pass-rusher, I'm sure it's going to be frustrating seeing RBs catch the ball underneath and gain 15 yards. With Sharper an adequate cover LB alongside Foreman (poor) and Babin (inexperienced), it's bound to be an achilles heel this year. But, hey, I prefer that to the QB having 7 seconds to throw the ball or the RB having 5 yards of daylight before he reaches any defenders.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #27
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

If memory serves me correctly, and it might not, wasnt Sharper an OLB in college and with the Ravens? If so, why havent they toyed with the idea of moving Wong back inside and Sharper back out? Just curious...
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-08-2004   #28
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge
If memory serves me correctly, and it might not, wasnt Sharper an OLB in college and with the Ravens? If so, why havent they toyed with the idea of moving Wong back inside and Sharper back out? Just curious...
If Sharper was an OLB in college, he was in a 4-3, with the Ravens he was teamed with Ray Lewis in the middle, I think, as a MLB in a 3-4. If we ran a 4-3 he might be an OLB.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
If Sharper was an OLB in college, he was in a 4-3, with the Ravens he was teamed with Ray Lewis in the middle, I think, as a MLB in a 3-4. If we ran a 4-3 he might be an OLB.
The Ravens switched from 4-3 to 3-4 for the 2002 season so Sharper played one year there in a 3-4 and when that change was made he went from OLB to ILB.
Old 06-09-2004   #30
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Historically, the left side of the 3-4 plays the run and pass defense, while the right side is more of a run stopper and pass rusher. Wong hasn't shown great production at getting to the passer in his opportunities, but maybe Fangio knows something we don't. Who knows.....Any thoughts?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that Wong's sack opportunities are limited because of being on the left side. I think he should definately have more sacks this year. And since Babin will be on the left side, if he gets 6-8 sacks that would be awesome. Like the general consensus, I hope he can catch on to the coverage aspect of his position rather quickly. I would like to see Foreman as our backup ILB, because that would mean that we would have someone better manning the position. The weak DL argument for last year does not apply to 2002 as pointed out by V. He is a solid backup, that's it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read