Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-14-2010   #1
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ex-Cowboy Moose Johnston: If Dallas wins, expect Super Bowl trip

Fox Sports chatted with former Dallas Cowboys fullback and analyst Daryl "Moose" Johnston about this weekend's NFL playoff games.

Some highlights of the chat:

On the most impressive team coming into this weekend’s games: "Dallas has been excellent; not only last week, but the last three games of the regular season. Now, I realize you say that San Diego has won 11 straight, but the four wins by Dallas are pretty impressive. They are functioning well in all three phases of the game: offense, defense and special teams.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....7b2210ee.html
Old 01-15-2010   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ex-Cowboy Moose Johnston: If Dallas wins, expect Super Bowl trip

Love Moose. He has been pretty blunt about the team the last few years too. He and Aikman. I like our chances this weekend with the way the D has played but it will still be a very tough game with the weapons Minny has and their D-line. I've read some very good columns about Favre and Romo and their respect for each other this week. Good stuff.
Old 01-15-2010   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

It's tough figuring out who has been slighted more on not being in the HOF - Moose or Novacek.
Old 01-15-2010   #4
treduke
All Pro

Rep Power: 178 treduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It's tough figuring out who has been slighted more on not being in the HOF - Moose or Novacek.
not a cowboys fan but moose should be in the hall no question!
and novacek is one of the most underrated te's of all time!
Old 01-15-2010   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Great question. Emmitt is good but not as good without Moose. The guy was one of the of the best FBs ever and pretty much just car wrecked guys weekly. Novacek was one of my faves. The guy never seemed to have the speed, etc but he was open all the time. I remember when they got him from the Cards and thinking is was a pretty good addition but he had only had a high of like 38 catches with the Cards. Then starting in 90 he had two 59 catch seasons straight followed by a 68 catch one. With he and Irvin, the chains kept moving.

One of the more annoying things about being a Cowboy fan and hearing the criminal talk was knowing there were alot more Moose and Novacek type guys out there but the 3-4 bad seeds kind of ruined it rep wise.
Old 01-15-2010   #6
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 6809 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowboys are on fire and playing better than anyone still in the mix right now. I still hope they lose though.
JDizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
Cowboys are on fire and playing better than anyone still in the mix right now. I still hope they lose though.
Unfortunately, I agree. Fortunately, Dallas is a lot like the Texans at times. They can lay down just as well as they get up for games. There appears to be some very good matchups this weekend. I just hope for some nice competitive football, unlike last weekend.

Umm, and yes, I hope they still lose too.
Old 01-15-2010   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Great question. Emmitt is good but not as good without Moose. The guy was one of the of the best FBs ever and pretty much just car wrecked guys weekly. Novacek was one of my faves. The guy never seemed to have the speed, etc but he was open all the time. I remember when they got him from the Cards and thinking is was a pretty good addition but he had only had a high of like 38 catches with the Cards. Then starting in 90 he had two 59 catch seasons straight followed by a 68 catch one. With he and Irvin, the chains kept moving.

One of the more annoying things about being a Cowboy fan and hearing the criminal talk was knowing there were alot more Moose and Novacek type guys out there but the 3-4 bad seeds kind of ruined it rep wise.
Yup pretty funny how St. Louis and the Cards just couldn't find a use for him and then he goes to the Cowboys and on to 5 straight pro-bowls.

Moose was an overachieving load. For a fairly small (he would look tiny standing next to Vontez Leach) FB how he could truck people.
Old 01-15-2010   #9
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Unfortunately, I agree. Fortunately, Dallas is a lot like the Texans at times. They can lay down just as well as they get up for games. There appears to be some very good matchups this weekend. I just hope for some nice competitive football, unlike last weekend.

Umm, and yes, I hope they still lose too.
I think this weekend is the best football weekend. the Conference finals can be disappointing at times and the SB...it can suck and have too much hype. This weekend is a fun one where it seems to have more compelling games.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-15-2010 at 11:40 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

There's still football? I thought football season ended January 3rd(??)
Old 01-15-2010   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think this weekend is the best football weekend. the Conference finals can be disappointing at times and the SB...it can suck and have too much hype. This weekend is a fun one where and seems to have more compelling games.
Yep, I hope it rains all weekend so I have an excuse to stay inside and watch the games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
The emotional ties to football ended at that time. Now I can enjoy it without being on the edge of a cardiac arrest.
Old 01-15-2010   #12
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Hope the Cowboys win too Frog but I'm not ready to hang the banner just yet. Ole Brett has a knack for pulling off the impossible at times.

Daryl was an excellent player. Don't think Emmitt doesn't know that too..he was there when Emmitt broke the rushing record.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #13
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Minnesota's gonna be a tough place to win.

If that dome's loud, then that's a huge advantage. Think Philly at Arizona last year in the playoffs.

Not to mention the Vikes on defense are bloodthirsty.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The emotional ties to football ended at that time. Now I can enjoy it without being on the edge of a cardiac arrest.
Yeah, I hear you.

It'd be nice to see the Cowboys go down, so I have that rooting interest still going for me, which is nice.
Old 01-15-2010   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

By the way, I'm contemplating flying up to Minny early Sunday morning with my brother in law, watching the game and then coming back right after. Might be a little much but we both have our free flight benefits and all. Anyone been to a game there? 27 degrees and sunny on the outside, warm and cozy in the dome.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-15-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2010   #16
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 40182 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
By the way, I'm contemplating flying up to Minny early Sunday morning with my brother in law, watching the game and then coming back right after. Might be a little much but we both have our free flight benefits and all. Anyone been to a game there? 27 degrees and sunny on the outside, warm and cozy in the dome.
I hope that you can make the trip. My cousins are leaving today. I was told that I would be missed
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
I hope that you can make the trip. My cousins are leaving today. I was told that I would be missed
That's no good. With us, it depends on the morning flights. Tickets are out there for $95 but if we go we are just going to wait until gametime and try and get them cheaper. This is my wife's younger brother. He lives for this stuff. He went to UT and to the UT/Alabama game and he took his beer bong and he has pics of probably 100 other fans beer bonging with him. I think he is a professional tailgater as he will just randonly go to LSU and other college games....and Cowboy games.

I'll also take this time to give myself a Darwin type of stupid award. My wife has nominated me. As I have stated, I have a bro that works for the Cowboys. He gets 2 awesome tickets for each home game and then you get to go to some suites with him. He calls me before the Philly game and mentions them and how I need to use them some time. For some reason I brain lock and think we have kids plans and don't even ask to go. My wife is incredulous after the fact that I didn't try and go. She is now laughing at me because I didn't go to Dallas for a game with free tickets but am contemplating flying to Minnesota where we will scrounge for tickets. I dumbed out.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-15-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2010   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
If you have Bob McNair's ear please tell him that his marketing department doesn't have to work nearly as hard when you are still playing in January.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Interesting trivia about the series when Staubach threw the hail mary pass. I watched this game but never noticed before that on a prior play a security guard or cop kicks Drew Pearson on the sideline - Link
Old 01-15-2010   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep. I can just sit back on the couch and just watch the games for the pure football aspect of it. It's a good weekend with some great match ups.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read