Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2010   #1
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Offense without Alex Gibbs

Now that Alex Gibbs is gone, why don't we make some tweaks to our offense? The ZBS makes sense in theory, but the nuances of the game have changed dramatically since it was developed. For one, chop blocks blocks and cut blocks have pretty much been ruled as the same thing, ie illegal.

So, with our personal, lets look to our adversaries in Indianapolis for inspiration. Why don't we install a similar offense? Our lineman are about the same size as the Indy lineman. We have an athletic pair of backs in Slaton and Foster (and insert a 2010 draft pick) who can catch and run. We have a great group of receivers headed by AJ that is just as good if not better than what is Indy. Our TE OD is on the same level as Dallas Clark.

All of this comes to Peyton. No, we do not have Peyton, but Schaub is still good. Giving him the opportunity to audible from pass to rush will give us the advantage. He can then choose the right time to run and the right time to pass. He is ready for this and I think he could do a great job with it.

Going to this scheme would essentially keep our plays very similar it would just look different to the defense. Anything that makes the d guess is good by me!

So, thoughts?
Am I brilliant or crazy?!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010   #2
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Offense without Alex Gibbs

don't know what to say. i saw we are a few tweaks away from topping indi. why change directions?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010   #3
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What exactly Did Gibbs do besides collect a check
Old 01-14-2010   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
What exactly Did Gibbs do besides collect a check
You remember what Slaton looked like when he was a rookie? That.
Old 01-14-2010   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Now that Alex Gibbs is gone, why don't we make some tweaks to our offense? The ZBS makes sense in theory, but the nuances of the game have changed dramatically since it was developed. For one, chop blocks blocks and cut blocks have pretty much been ruled as the same thing, ie illegal.

So, with our personal, lets look to our adversaries in Indianapolis for inspiration. Why don't we install a similar offense? Our lineman are about the same size as the Indy lineman. We have an athletic pair of backs in Slaton and Foster (and insert a 2010 draft pick) who can catch and run. We have a great group of receivers headed by AJ that is just as good if not better than what is Indy. Our TE OD is on the same level as Dallas Clark.

All of this comes to Peyton. No, we do not have Peyton, but Schaub is still good. Giving him the opportunity to audible from pass to rush will give us the advantage. He can then choose the right time to run and the right time to pass. He is ready for this and I think he could do a great job with it.

Going to this scheme would essentially keep our plays very similar it would just look different to the defense. Anything that makes the d guess is good by me!

So, thoughts?
Am I brilliant or crazy?!
Ridiculous. Why would Kubiak coach something he doesn't know? We've been a top 5 offense the past 2 years with this system. The only reason the Colts offense works so well is Peyton.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010   #6
tex-sky
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to tex-sky

We have Dennison, an offensive line coach, an assistant offensive line coach, and Bruce Matthews on staff (or soon to be in Dennison’s case). Our lines have enough coaches.

I do hope that David Gibbs goes though. I’ve been calling for a new DB coach for a while.
tex-sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #7
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex-sky View Post

I do hope that David Gibbs goes though. I’ve been calling for a new DB coach for a while.
I disagree with getting rid of Little Gibbs..

First of all, he's only been here a year so it couldn't have been that long of a while.. Also, I'm not so sure Pollard comes here without him here, or we look at Pollard in the first place; vice-versa. Finally, he got solid contributions from two rookies in Quin and McCain and seemed to correct some flaws in Reeves coverage abilities (like turning around when the ball is in air...).
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2010   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So about when did you start calling for a new one?
Old 01-15-2010   #9
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We have Dennison, an offensive line coach, an assistant offensive line coach, and Bruce Matthews on staff (or soon to be in Dennison’s case). Our lines have enough coaches.

Didn't the secondary only allow 2 receivers to get over 100 yards all season? Didn't we basically plug in a street free agent in the middle of the year at safety while playing absolute 0's next to that free agent safety all year? Didn't McCain/Quin perform over most's expectations, especially as rookies and considering the QBs this team had to face? Just checking.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
You remember what Slaton looked like when he was a rookie? That.
You remember what Slaton looked like this past season? That too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
The only reason the Colts offense works so well is Peyton.
.....and the ridiculous amount of consistency their O has with personnel. The core of that group has been together for a while. Saturday, Wayne, Clark, Addai. Come on I love me some Manning commercials but he's not THE offense.

Quote:

I do hope that JOHN HOKE goes though. I’ve been calling for a new DB coach for a while.
I fixed it for you and you're a year late anyway. David Gibbs is the guy who turned the secondary into something resembling a secondary.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Didn't the secondary only allow 2 receivers to get over 100 yards all season? Didn't we basically plug in a street free agent in the middle of the year at safety while playing absolute 0's next to that free agent safety all year? Didn't McCain/Quin perform over most's expectations, especially as rookies and considering the QBs this team had to face? Just checking.
Totally agree. He had alot of work to undo Hoke's horrible coaching and did alot with really limited talent in the secondary. Took a SS who people said can't cover anyone and put him in position to nab 3-4 INT's.
Old 01-15-2010   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

.....and the ridiculous amount of consistency their O has with personnel. The core of that group has been together for a while. Saturday, Wayne, Clark, Addai. Come on I love me some Manning commercials but he's not THE offense.

I fixed it for you and you're a year late anyway. David Gibbs is the guy who turned the secondary into something resembling a secondary.
I have to disagree with you here. Manning is most definitely the Colts offense. The dude's probably the smartest QB I've ever seen at reading defenses. Manning IS the Colts. Take him out of the equation they're nothing.
Old 01-15-2010   #13
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Slaton needs a RB coach that can show him how to hold onto the ball. Tiki Barber used to be a fumbling machine and he got it fixed. I think Slaton can too. Injuries on the O-Line didn't help his cause any either. We do need some upgrading there...I don't think we should ever come out of a draft without one or two solid O-line prospects.
Old 01-15-2010   #14
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:

What did you put in your coffee this morning? Can I have some of it? I'm sorry but Peyton *IS* is the colts. When you draft your personnel wondering if they can "stand up" to the requirements of your QB, then you are pretty much saying this is a Peyton team. The article in ESPN about Peyton was pretty interesting, he's pretty much a perfectionist and requires that of his other teammates or you are pretty much done.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1355/index.htm

silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:

Yep. So one good year one terrible year. I guess he was "medium"?
Old 01-15-2010   #16
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I have to disagree with you here. Manning is most definitely the Colts offense. The dude's probably the smartest QB I've ever seen at reading defenses. Manning IS the Colts. Take him out of the equation they're nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
What did you put in your coffee this morning? Can I have some of it? I'm sorry but Peyton *IS* is the colts. When you draft your personnel wondering if they can "stand up" to the requirements of your QB, then you are pretty much saying this is a Peyton team. The article in ESPN about Peyton was pretty interesting, he's pretty much a perfectionist and requires that of his other teammates or you are pretty much done.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1355/index.htm

Sugar and cream? Being a hell of a leader/QB is one thing, being solely responsible for the entire teams success is another. Peyton did little to win his ring next to that defense that showed up in the playoffs. Believe me, I am as much of a witness to his majesty as any of you are but get real, having superstars around you helps. Probably a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Slaton needs a RB coach that can show him how to hold onto the ball. Tiki Barber used to be a fumbling machine and he got it fixed. I think Slaton can too. Injuries on the O-Line didn't help his cause any either. We do need some upgrading there...I don't think we should ever come out of a draft without one or two solid O-line prospects.
Agreed on both accounts
Quote:
Yep. So one good year one terrible year. I guess he was "medium"?
Slaton or Gibbs?
Old 01-15-2010   #17
Bronco Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 Bronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Bronco Texan Send a message via Yahoo to Bronco Texan

Gibbs wasn't brought in here to run our offense he was brought in to teach our coaches how to run our offense. Nothing is going to change, other than reviving our running game.
Bronco Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Sugar and cream? Being a hell of a leader/QB is one thing, being solely responsible for the entire teams success is another. Peyton did little to win his ring next to that defense that showed up in the playoffs. Believe me, I am as much of a witness to his majesty as any of you are but get real, having superstars around you helps. Probably a lot.

Agreed on both accounts

Slaton or Gibbs?
Gibbs.

Peyton Manning is the Colts guy. That defense keys off of his performance, they can't stop the run, unless they are already up by 2+ scores and he puts them there. The Colts haven't had a run game for the last 2 or 3 seasons, doesn't phase Manning. The Colts haven't had a really good defense in a long time, doesn't phase Peyton. The Colts lost their HOF (Possibly) WR in Marvin Harrison, didn't phase Peyton. Hell that guy plays with an O-line that is probably on par with ours and he got sacked 10 times this year. Not because they are a great line (They are passable), but he gets the ball out in less than 2 seconds most of the time because he already knows where he is going with the ball.

I think we've all seen enough of Mr. Manning these past 8 years to know that, he will probably be the greatest QB a Houston team has ever had to face year in and year out (Yeah, waaaaaaaay better than Bradshaw).

To get to and win the Superbowl, yeah, he needed his defense to show up (Of which they pretty much had not, all year long, and he carried them anyway), in no way does that tarnish the guys image. The Colts do nothing without Manning at the helm, and I don't think you can say that about any other player on their team.
Old 01-15-2010   #19
TimeKiller

Quote:
Gibbs.
Yes, the myth was definitely busted.
Quote:
Peyton Manning is the Colts guy. That defense keys off of his performance, they can't stop the run, unless they are already up by 2+ scores and he puts them there.
I seem to remember the Colts D making the plays in close games vs. the Texans this year.
Quote:
The Colts haven't had a run game for the last 2 or 3 seasons, doesn't phase Manning.
You know good and damn well the screen passes account for half their running attack.
Quote:
The Colts haven't had a really good defense in a long time, doesn't phase Peyton.
Haven't won a championship since the last time a defense showed up in white and blue either.
Quote:
The Colts lost their HOF (Possibly) WR in Marvin Harrison, didn't phase Peyton.
Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai and when you are PManning you make guys like Garcon look good too.
Quote:
Hell that guy plays with an O-line that is probably on par with ours and he got sacked 10 times this year.
Name one Houston Texans Offensive Lineman that is as good as Jeff Saturday. Can't? Try naming one Colt OL who is as bad as Studdard/Myers! Double Can't.
Quote:
I think we've all seen enough of Mr. Manning these past 8 years to know that, he will probably be the greatest QB a Houston team has ever had to face year in and year out (Yeah, waaaaaaaay better than Bradshaw).
I think that thought circulates many stadiums, not just our own.
Quote:
To get to and win the Superbowl, yeah, he needed his defense to show up (Of which they pretty much had not, all year long, and he carried them anyway), in no way does that tarnish the guys image. The Colts do nothing without Manning at the helm, and I don't think you can say that about any other player on their team.
Schaub? Look at how the team crumbled under Grossman for a half. Get me right here, Peyton Manning is one of the greatest QBs to ever grace our t.v. screens and probably will be for a long, long time. His successes, MVPs aside, is largely attributed elsewhere on the team though.
Old 01-15-2010   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Texan View Post
Gibbs wasn't brought in here to run our offense he was brought in to teach our coaches how to run our offense. Nothing is going to change, other than reviving our running game.
I think that's right. I think that more than anything Gibbs was here maybe less for Kubiak than for Kyle Shanahan. The more I've thought about it since it was announced that he'd left the more I think that with Shanahan's youth Kubiak wanted somebody back there he was comfortable with in case Kyle didn't or couldn't get it done. With Shanahan going to Washington to work under his dad Alex Gibbs is off to his next stop in Seattle to help another old friend out.

With Kubiak and Dennison going back as far as they do and with Dennison having spent three years in Kubiaks old job there's no need for Alex Gibbs here anymore.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read