Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-12-2010   #1
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected
Default See ya later Gibbs...

Alex Gibbs is heading to Seattle to coach Pete Carroll's offensive line... Glad we're adding Dennison as the OC, as he's coached and replaced Gibbs as OL coach at Denver.

I'm sorry to say that Alex Gibbs record of top 10 rushing teams never came to fruition in Houston.
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Alex Gibbs to Seattle

per McClain's chat:
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/

Quote:
12:11 John McClain: Check this out: Alex Gibbs is going to Seattle to be part of Pete Carroll's first staff. Good for Gibbs. And Carroll.
So we now need an OC, a QB coach and an O-line coach, sounds like fun.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #3
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alex Gibbs to Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
per McClain's chat:

The pickings for Lame Duck Kubiak just get slimmer.
Old 01-12-2010   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
per McClain's chat:

We do not really need a OL coach... we still have Benton & Matthews
Old 01-12-2010   #5
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

Gotcha by a second...
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #6
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Damn, on the heels of our best season, and heading into the projected toughest schedule in the league next year.

I hope we fill these positions early so everyone is on the same page heading into the off-season schedule.
JWarren14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Gibbs was only going to coach a couple of years max and the only reason he didn't stay retired was because Kubiak lured him back.
Old 01-12-2010   #8
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I thought Gibbs was only going to coach a couple of years max and the only reason he didn't stay retired was because Kubiak lured him back.
I gotta give Texans' Marketing props on that one. I bought it, too.
Old 01-12-2010   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Money talks and I believe you know the rest.

Gibbs did wonders for us this year?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #10
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

The first questions going through my head:

Will we stay with zone blocking?
What kind of RB will we draft?
What kind of O-lineman will we draft?
Was Gibbs looking to get out because of the quality of our O-linemen?
Is this an indicator of Kubiak's job security?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lol nobody circles the wagons...

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #12
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Wow - that one came outta left field. Quite a few on here were predicting Gibbs to Washington. Meh - as far as hiring an equal amount of assistant / postion coaches - don't we already have a coach per player? What's combining a coach position or two?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thrilled! thanks, but SEE YA!

Here are some thoughts about this:

1. Barrett suggested that perhaps Dennison said I'd love to work here but not as long as that ********* Gibbs is here.

2. He's going to Seattle. Since he's not going to Washington, retiring, or going to a team with a great Oline and RB... it probably indicates some differences with the direction of this team. I expect to see a little more variation in our running scheme next year.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm kind of relieved but I now wonder and worry about our offensive line situ.

Gibbs was here two years and had a part in the "development" of such perennial greats as Casey Studdard, Mike Brisiel, and Antoine Caldwell. He was the guy who supposedly wanted Duane Brown and while I don't know if he was involved in going to get Myers he arrived here at about the same time and has coached him ever since Myers got here.

What's the real common thread with all those guys? They're all young and Alex Gibbs has had a lot to do with them. What's the problem here? You would think that if Gibbs desired to continue coaching he'd want to turn these guys, "his guys" into the running monster-machine he loves so much. Instead he's cutting out of town to go to Seattle? To work for Pete Carroll? Are you kidding me?

I feel like this is either a really good sign or a really bad one and I'm not accustomed to seeing a lot of good signs around the general area of my Houston Texans.

I'd very much like to believe that Gibbs is pulling a "My work here is done." move instead of a "Time to get while the getting is good" move. Shanahan heading to Washington (yes I know his dad is coaching there) so quick and now Gibbs going to Seattle smacks of rats fleeing a sinking ship. It may not be that and it's most likely not that but it sure looks like it. Next Rhodes will retire and kick back, David Gibbs will get out of his deal to go coach with his daddy in Seattle (and we'll let him because we're such good guys) and then they'll turn around and sign Pollard away from us.

I got a sick feeling about this for some reason.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
per McClain's chat:

Good move for Pete Carrol. Nice, experienced coach for a fairly inexperienced NFL head coach.
Old 01-12-2010   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay so Benton has been the O-line coach since August 2007, what are the thoughts on the job he has done so far? Sacks have gone down, but the running game is still. . . uh, anemic?

I don't think Bruce Matthews has much of an impact on how our line performs.

Quote:
Good move for Pete Carrol. Nice, experienced coach for a fairly inexperienced NFL head coach.
You know Carrol has coached in some capacity in the NFL for 16 years right?
Old 01-12-2010   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Gibbs was here two years and had a part in the "development" of such perennial greats as Casey Studdard, Mike Brisiel, and Antoine Caldwell. He was the guy who supposedly wanted Duane Brown and while I don't know if he was involved in going to get Myers he arrived here at about the same time and has coached him ever since Myers got here.

What's the real common thread with all those guys? They're all young and Alex Gibbs has had a lot to do with them. What's the problem here? You would think that if Gibbs desired to continue coaching he'd want to turn these guys, "his guys" into the running monster-machine he loves so much. Instead he's cutting out of town to go to Seattle? To work for Pete Carroll? Are you kidding me?

I feel like this is either a really good sign or a really bad one and I'm not accustomed to seeing a lot of good signs around the general area of my Houston Texans.

I'd very much like to believe that Gibbs is pulling a "My work here is done." move instead of a "Time to get while the getting is good" move. Shanahan heading to Washington (yes I know his dad is coaching there) so quick and now Gibbs going to Seattle smacks of rats fleeing a sinking ship. It may not be that and it's most likely not that but it sure looks like it. Next Rhodes will retire and kick back, David Gibbs will get out of his deal to go coach with his daddy in Seattle (and we'll let him because we're such good guys) and then they'll turn around and sign Pollard away from us.

Perhaps you would bolt too if the best lineman your team could come up with in 3 years was Duane Brown. Myers, Casey Studdard and Mike Brisiel? How do you make make a gourmet meal out of ground turkey meat?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #18
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29231 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

I understand what you mean. I don't really want to be a cynic about it and would prefer to just blow it off as not a big deal. But, these are the Texans we're talking about, and the Texans have not allowed us to relax about anything. EVER.

My fear is that these coaches are looking at next year and seeing what I see: 8-8 or 9-7 at best. They know that either record will mean a massive housecleaning.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope none of this means anything, and we can just move forward with planning for the Draft. I think we will be able to tell a lot after the guy from Denver makes his decision.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #19
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Can he take our 3.5 ypc on the season with him?

Seriously though, I know hes a great coach with a fantastic resume but as long as we get Dennison I don't think this moves hurts us at all. 1 less cook in the kitchen might actually help. Only one way to go as far as the running game is concerned anyway. Good luck to Gibbs in Seattle.
Old 01-12-2010   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Perhaps you would bolt too if the best lineman your team could come up with in 3 years was Duane Brown. Myers, Casey Studdard and Mike Brisiel? How do you make make a gourmet meal out of ground turkey meat?
I'd pair it with a glass half full of good wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read