Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-12-2010   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak's ranking as an OC

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...e-coordinators

Quote:
14. Gary Kubiak / Texans (head coach)
Kubiak's simple system maximizes the ability of his quarterback, but evaluators were confused as to why his game plans were not more aggressive late in games and called into question his ability to adjust in the second half. Statistically, the Texans rank in the top third of the league in offensive output with Matt Schaub having a career year that helped produce the Texans' first winning record. And offensive coordinator/QB coach Kyle Shanahan deserves mention for his work with Schaub.
SCOUT'S TAKE: "They are innovative early in the game with their initial packages, but they tighten up under pressure and go much more conservative. I question how well they adapt. They usually become very predictable in what they are trying to execute. If you look at Andre Johnson's productivity, a lot of it is coming early instead of late. He racks up yards, but they don't come through in clutch situations."
Old 01-12-2010   #2
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak's ranking as a OC

i think it's a pretty accurate since kubiak was responsible for play design and scripted plays, while (according to kyle - or atleast the quote here) shanahan had majority and then exclusive playcalling duties from week 6.

this is IMO the greatest kubiak flaw. opposite of mike shanahan who wants control over each aspect, kubiak is WAY too quick to delegate. in itsself not a bad thing, but a big step backwards when "as soon as i gave him the playcalling responsibility, we won back to back championships" is instead passing on that role to a kid. kubiak's studying that denny's menu because he doesnt have anything else to do until a coordinator starts racking up penalties. unlike capers who was seen by some as a monday through saturday coach, kubiak is built for sunday. we're moving in the right direction, but will only finish the job when kubiak's footprint on the texans becomes him personally stomping on other teams' throats - IMO that's going to require him assuming the role of Alpha and Omega on offense on sundays.
Old 01-12-2010   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I find that very accurate...especially the AJ stuff.

Quick story to illustrate. Over Christmas I'm in Turks and Caicos at a resort. They aren't showing alot of the day games like the Texans, etc so I'm keeping up with fantasy stats through my brother in laws laptop...my team in the finals in both my leagues. I have AJ on one of them. Somewhere in the 3rd quarter AJ has 5 catches, 72 yards and a TD(estimate). 3rd and 4th quarter go by......Miami making a comeback....yet by games end AJs stats were the same as above. Didn't move. He should be getting fed the ball.
Old 01-12-2010   #4
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Boy, that thing reads like a word-for-word criticism from many of the users here on TT. It's not that we think Kubiak CAN'T get it done, but that he goes into a shell once ahead, and doesn't emerge again until (sometimes) it's too late.
Old 01-12-2010   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Not making excuses but I have a good feeling that alot of our second half ineptness comes from the inability to run the football. I noticed that it seemed like Kubiak tries to run more with a lead (like anyone would) but he tries to force it to work because he knew eventually we are going to have to run the football at some point in the game/season.

Does anyone think that this was the case?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, it's looked to me like if we have success early, we kinda shut down late and just try to hang on. (Niners, Colts, Dolphins) Sometimes we won those games, sometimes not.

If we don't have success early, we seem to make some corrections and come out and find a way to get it done in the second half (Cardinals, Bills games for example.)

The most complete game was the Patriot game but even then it was more of the second type than the first.

Kubiak's concept is that you get a lead and then you pound the hell out of your opponent with the run. And that's a great strategy if you've got a good running game. The problem is, we couldn't run worth crap until the last couple of games.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #7
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Actually, it's looked to me like if we have success early, we kinda shut down late and just try to hang on. (Niners, Colts, Dolphins) Sometimes we won those games, sometimes not.

If we don't have success early, we seem to make some corrections and come out and find a way to get it done in the second half (Cardinals, Bills games for example.)

The most complete game was the Patriot game but even then it was more of the second type than the first.

Kubiak's concept is that you get a lead and then you pound the hell out of your opponent with the run. And that's a great strategy if you've got a good running game. The problem is, we couldn't run worth crap until the last couple of games.
Going away from what you do well has never seemed like a particularly good approach. This applies to BOTH sides of the ball. I don't think you need to be running "trick plays" when you're up by 30 in the 4th quarter, but I also don't believe in playing prevent OFFENSE either.
Old 01-12-2010   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Going away from what you do well has never seemed like a particularly good approach. This applies to BOTH sides of the ball. I don't think you need to be running "trick plays" when you're up by 30 in the 4th quarter, but I also don't believe in playing prevent OFFENSE either.
I agree, if it aint broke, dont fix it!
Old 01-12-2010   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i challange the selective memory here to look at the actual plays called.
Old 01-12-2010   #10
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak's ranking as an OC

That all sounds very familiar, like I've heard that before somewhere.........

Oh, on this board.... I have to agree, it's accurate. Hopefully next season we'll see them stay aggessive for 4 qtrs.
Old 01-12-2010   #11
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Not making excuses but I have a good feeling that alot of our second half ineptness comes from the inability to run the football. I noticed that it seemed like Kubiak tries to run more with a lead (like anyone would) but he tries to force it to work because he knew eventually we are going to have to run the football at some point in the game/season.

Does anyone think that this was the case?
When you throw the ball for almost 300 yards in a half, you do what's working for you and KEEP throwing the ball. Going away from your strength and what's working for you goes against all logic...

When they find a way to stop what you are doing, then you adjust, not adjust and screw yourself up.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i challange the selective memory here to look at the actual plays called.
AJ averages 17 yards per catch in the first half and 14 yards per catch in the second. He scored 6 TD's in the first half and 3 TD's in the second. He's scored 3 TD's in the 1st quarter, 3 TD's in the 2nd quarter, 0 TD's in the 3rd quarter, and 3 TD's in the 4th. (He's also only scored 3 TD's at home this year.)

AJ is 23 receptions for 316 yards and 2TDs when we're ahead. He's 48 receptions for 685 yards and 5 TD's when we're behind. He's 30 receptions for 568 yards and 2 TD's when we're tied.

By quarter:
1st quarter: 29 receptions for 496 yards, 8 20+ yards, 3 40+ yards
2nd quarter: 25 receptions for 420 yards, 6 20+ yards, 2 40+ yards
3rd quarter: 25 receptions for 280 yards, 3 20+ yards, 1 40+ yards
4th quarter: 22 receptions for 373 yards, 5 20+ yards, 3 40+ yards

I don't know. Maybe he gets tired and then catches his second wind in the 4th.
Old 01-12-2010   #13
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I find that very accurate...especially the AJ stuff.

Quick story to illustrate. Over Christmas I'm in Turks and Caicos at a resort. They aren't showing alot of the day games like the Texans, etc so I'm keeping up with fantasy stats through my brother in laws laptop...my team in the finals in both my leagues. I have AJ on one of them. Somewhere in the 3rd quarter AJ has 5 catches, 72 yards and a TD(estimate). 3rd and 4th quarter go by......Miami making a comeback....yet by games end AJs stats were the same as above. Didn't move. He should be getting fed the ball.
I can think of maybe 1 or 2 times the ENTIRE year that we tossed the ball to Andre while in the redzone. I'm sorry but I'm all for going to your best guy with his best play and let him make a play. Who cares if they know it's coming, if you know it's coming and you still can't stop it then keep running the play.

I guess I'm just too old fashioned, I can rememember many a games that you know who was getting the ball, where he was going, and man up and come try to stop us.
Old 01-12-2010   #14
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:

By quarter:
1st quarter: 29 receptions for 496 yards, 8 20+ yards, 3 40+ yards
2nd quarter: 25 receptions for 420 yards, 6 20+ yards, 2 40+ yards
3rd quarter: 25 receptions for 280 yards, 3 20+ yards, 1 40+ yards
4th quarter: 22 receptions for 373 yards, 5 20+ yards, 3 40+ yards

I don't know. Maybe he gets tired and then catches his second wind in the 4th.
Compare this to the # of times we run the ball per quarter and I think you'll have your answer.
Old 01-12-2010   #15
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
I can think of maybe 1 or 2 times the ENTIRE year that we tossed the ball to Andre while in the redzone.
Then you're not thinking very much, if at all.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I can think of maybe 1 or 2 times the ENTIRE year that we tossed the ball to Andre while in the redzone. I'm sorry but I'm all for going to your best guy with his best play and let him make a play. Who cares if they know it's coming, if you know it's coming and you still can't stop it then keep running the play.

I guess I'm just too old fashioned, I can rememember many a games that you know who was getting the ball, where he was going, and man up and come try to stop us.
That's a crazy statement. I can think of games where he was targetted 3-4 times in the red zone.
Old 01-12-2010   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Compare this to the # of times we run the ball per quarter and I think you'll have your answer.
I don't have the running stats, I'd have to go through the situational stats and add everyone's rushing attempts up, but I do have Schaub's stats.

1st quarter: 92/133 for 1233 yards and 8 TD's, 4 INT's.
2nd quarter: 110/163 for 1445 yards and 11 TD's, 2 INT's.
3rd quarter: 91/133 for 984 yards for 5 TD's and 5 INT's.
4th quarter: 103/154 for 1128 yards for 5 TD's and 4 INT's.

So we had 8 fewer passes made in the 2nd half vs. the 1st half. Less than half a pass per game. That doesn't sound like we're radically changing what we do in the 2nd half. It just looks like we're not doing it as effectively.
Old 01-12-2010   #18
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Then you're not thinking very much, if at all.
Probably, thinking more of home games but let's look anyways.

When we are in the redzone we completed 14 passes to him, with only 3 TD's at home. I could not find the # of attempts to him in the red zone though, I'm guessing since he had only 7 drops all year according to CBS, that we didn't go to him much more often.

Red Zone: Home & Away
OPP 19-1 - BY YARD LINE 0 14 137 9.8 197 11 7 8.6 00

3rd Down Usage
THIRD DOWN 0 21 282 13.4 492 14 6 6.7 41

IMHO, we should be going to him more in these situations.
Old 01-12-2010   #19
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
That's a crazy statement. I can think of games where he was targetted 3-4 times in the red zone.
The red zone completion stats don't support that, now that being said I *COULD* be wrong but I can think of many games in the red zone that we ran on 1st/2nd down and didn't get the ball to Andre. Later in the year we did get better about it, and it had a marked improvement in his red zone efficiency. I also had him on my fantasy team so I was intently watching his chances when he was in the red zone, but again my memory could be shit.

Now that being said I am looking at the situational stats, and need to really sit down and put together some numbers, cause I can't find a site that has all the #'s for me.

I just don't have time considering doing it this weekend.
Old 01-12-2010   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The red zone completion stats don't support that, now that being said I *COULD* be wrong but I can think of many games in the red zone that we ran on 1st/2nd down and didn't get the ball to Andre. Later in the year we did get better about it, and it had a marked improvement in his red zone efficiency. I also had him on my fantasy team so I was intently watching his chances when he was in the red zone, but again my memory could be shit.

Now that being said I am looking at the situational stats, and need to really sit down and put together some numbers, cause I can't find a site that has all the #'s for me.

I just don't have time considering doing it this weekend.
Just because he only got 14 receptions when we were in the red zone doesn't mean he wasn't targetted more often than that. I mean, just go back to Patriot game and the possession where we gave up the ball at the 1. AJ caught a couple of passes in the red zone to get us into that situation AND THEN was targetted for a fade on 4th down that he couldn't get free on. That's 3 targets right there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read