Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-11-2010   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Nobody Circles the Wagons like the Browns Marketing Dept...

Quote:
"We welcome you to the 1999 football season and the valiant return of one of the most storied franchises in professional sports history. . . . We look forward to having you with us for this momentous and historic season."

-- Letter to season-ticket holders before the 1999 season.

Result: The '99 team made history, all right, by losing 14 games, the most ever by a Browns team.

"Dwight Clark and his staff are immersed in draft-day and free agency preparations for what we expect will be another major step for our organization."

-- Letter to season-ticket holders before 2000 season.

Result: Another major step, yes -- toward despair. Browns finish the 2000 season 3-13. Coach Chris Palmer is fired.

"The 2002 season promises to be an exciting journey with aspirations for the playoffs and beyond. . . . I think you will agree that [Coach Butch Davis] is the right man for the job."

-- Letter from Browns President Carmen Policy to season-ticket holders before 2002 season.

Result: Browns squeak into playoffs but blow their first postseason game and lose to the Steelers -- for the third time in 31/2 months.

"We accomplished a number of goals in 2002, yet we have set our sights even higher for the upcoming season. . . . I look forward to seeing you with the best fans in sports down at Cleveland Browns Stadium this fall. It will be the place to be in 2003!"

-- Letter from Policy to season-ticket holders before 2003 season.

Result: Browns finish 5-11.

"Your passion and loyalty both inspire and help sustain us through difficult times, and we continue to work around the clock to produce a championship football team. . . . We believe [Butch Davis] is the one who can ultimately lead us to a Super Bowl championship."

-- Letter from Policy to season-ticket holders before 2004 season.

Result: Browns finish 4-12; Policy resigns; Davis forced to resign.

"Enclosed, please find our pricing for the upcoming season. We have introduced a slight increase. . . . We did not enter into this decision lightly, but believe you will be satisfied with how your investment is being re-channeled into the franchise."

-- Letter from Browns owner Randy Lerner to season-ticket holders before the 2005 season.

Result: The re-channeling of the investment works, and Browns improve to 6-10.

"We have dedicated this off-season to two things: football and you. . . . We believe we are on the road to success. We know we want you with us for the journey."

-- Letter to season-ticket holders prior to 2006 season.

Result: Browns finish 4-12.

"We feel that this new pricing structure is fair and will allow the team to stay competitive with our division rivals and with the rest of the NFL."

-- Statement by Browns executive Michael J. Keenan after the announcement of a ticket-price hike before the 2008 season.

Result: Browns finish 4-12. Coach Romeo Crennel fired.
http://www.cleveland.com/pdq/index.s...delivered.html

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 158250 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Nobody Circles the Wagons like the Browns Marketing Dept...

Looks slightly familiar.
Old 01-11-2010   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

And after being an old Oiler fan, I don't feel sorry for them.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
you don't have to go back that far to get a familiar feeling...it's right here. Hell, most of my adult life the Oilers were in the playoffs.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #5
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 53922 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
As an Oilers fan myself I grew up really disliking the Browns. I won't say hate because that is how I felt about the Steelers and Cowboys.

However I always admired Browns fans and their tradition. I even did a road trip out there in the early 90's and got to see Cody Carlson pull off a last second miracle win over a Belichik led Browns team. I will never forget that game because it seemed hopeless for us. Plus it was snowing and FREEZING in that place.

Us fans and them both went through the tragedy of losing our franchises. I only wished Houstonians would have been like the Browns fans when it came to standing up to the NFL to save their name and colors.

Those poor Browns fans lost their owner in death and their team is now being run by his son who has no clue about football. Also before that they had to witness seeing their old team go to the Super Bowl and win it. At least our old team choked in the SB.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #6
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Looks slightly familiar.
seconded - pretty close to what I was seeing during my season ticket days since 2002. I got out right after the "price increase" form letter, so I didn't get to see the "off-season dedication" form letter following.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #7
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 80312 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Looks slightly familiar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
seconded - pretty close to what I was seeing during my season ticket days since 2002. I got out right after the "price increase" form letter, so I didn't get to see the "off-season dedication" form letter following.
You guys are slaying me this afternoon.

I'm just wondering how much that additional Texans "W" is going to cost my pocketpook this year for tix.
Old 01-11-2010   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
you don't have to go back that far to get a familiar feeling...it's right here. Hell, most of my adult life the Oilers were in the playoffs.
I don't get what you are saying.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 158250 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
You guys are slaying me this afternoon.

I'm just wondering how much that additional Texans "W" is going to cost my pocketpook this year for tix.
Well, 8-8 is middle of the pack, so 9-7 must be bona fide high priced!
Old 01-11-2010   #10
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

"We accomplished a number of goals in 2002, yet we have set our sights even higher for the upcoming season. . . . I look forward to seeing you with the best fans in sports down at Cleveland Browns Stadium this fall. It will be the place to be in 2003!"

Bull ****!

The announcer at Reliant Stadium says the Texans have the best fans.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #11
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 32050 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post

Bull ****!

The announcer at Reliant Stadium says the Texans have the best fans.
Exactly! Why would he lie about that?
Old 01-11-2010   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Exactly! Why would he lie about that?
Yep, all 10000 in thee stadium at kick-off...
Old 01-11-2010   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Yep, all 10000 in thee stadium at kick-off...
The piped in crowd noise sure makes us seem like the greatest fans in the NFL though!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a copy-cat league. *sigh*
Old 01-11-2010   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The browns and us have another thing in common:

Indy tank jobs have held us both our of the playoffs.

Realistically though, the Browns have had double digit wins within the last couple years, which is somsething we've never accomplished.. They've also been to the playoffs
Old 01-11-2010   #16
texdawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 2455 texdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a glass half full guy, but, just once before I die I want that glass to be overflowing.

Maybe next year, or the year after, or the year after................LOL

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read